Chinese Spy Balloon

94,627 Views | 1075 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by lb3
Dan Scott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The military expert on FoxNews was saying it's easy
Not a Bot
AG
agent-maroon said:

Quote:

I'm guessing we disabled it's surveillance capabilities before this hit the news.
One would certainly hope so. But what was it trying to accomplish with all the maneuvering? Did someone think it could run away somewhere and hide?
It was floating with the prevailing upper atmospheric winds.
Cromagnum
AG
If this thing sinks where we can recover nothing, I'm calling 100% planned as a distraction.
Cromagnum
AG
Cromagnum said:

If this thing sinks where we can recover nothing, I'm calling 100% planned as a distraction.

Edit: of course it looks now like we destroyed everything of value on it with the missile.
agent-maroon
AG
Thought I had read earlier in this thread that it was being intentionally maneuvered and the Pentagon had confirmed this capability. But perhaps not.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mike0305
Multiple sources claiming the balloon thing happened during the Trump admin as well, so Reps also sat on their hands and kept silent. Maybe not all of them knew, but calling out Dems at this point after it blew up in public is just political grandstanding, they were just as much wusses when at the wheel.
bmks270
AG
Maybe it was a civilian meteorological research balloon that went off course.
panhandlefarmer
AG
Cromagnum said:

Cromagnum said:

Edit: of course it looks now like we destroyed everything of value on it with the missile.
I kind of thought the same. It looked like it came apart immediately. That may have just been the solar panels, but it didn't look like it would hold up structurally to a rapid descent.
Cromagnum
AG
bmks270 said:

Right, and the weather just happened to perfectly meanuever it over our key military installations.
LMCane
akaggie05 said:

It just got shot down.
for all the "experts" on here over the last two days

claiming it would be SO DIFFICULT if not impossible to shoot it down
redcrayon
AG
bmks270 said:

No. We know this was a spy balloon.

It doesn't surprise us that China has spy balloons.
Not a Bot
AG
mike0305 said:

Multiple sources claiming the balloon thing happened during the Trump admin as well, so Reps also sat on their hands and kept silent. Maybe not all of them knew, but calling out Dems at this point now that it blew up in public is just political grandstanding, they are just as much wusses when at the wheel.
These flights likely happen all the time and we've known about them. Guy on Fox Live indicated this was a very low operational flight for these types of balloons which is why the public was able to see it. You would typically expect something like this to be aloft at 80,000ft or higher. He speculated it malfunctioned and flew lower than intended.
1872walker
bmks270 said:

Maybe Covid came out of a wet market in Wuhan
Stat Monitor Repairman
Cromagnum said:

Cromagnum said:

So we did the stupidest most backwards thing we possibly do in this situation.

Par for the course then.

Great job to everyone involved.
LMCane
bmks270 said:

how much does the CCP pay you to post on message boards?
redcrayon
AG
LMCane said:

akaggie05 said:

It just got shot down.

You mean two people?
Not a Bot
AG
Cromagnum
AG
Definitely looks like the sensor package took a direct hit and fell separately from the balloon. We will pat ourselves on the back, China already has everything they were after, and we will never know what all Intel they collected.
agent-maroon
AG
mike0305 said:

Multiple sources claiming the balloon thing happened during the Trump admin as well, so Reps also sat on their hands and kept silent. Maybe not all of them knew, but calling out Dems at this point after it blew up in public is just political grandstanding, they were just as much wusses when at the wheel.
Yeah, because the dems would never have tried to blow up a story about freaking Chinese spy balloons flying all over our sensitive military installations and the Trump administration just sitting on its hands to score some cheap political points.

lol
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Eliminatus
AG
It's not that hard to shoot these things down. As witnessed already. Especially with multiple tries.

The consideration was of falling munitions and debris. Which is a whole other conversation in itself…
suburban cowboy
AG
Whatever we will be told will be a lie.

China can certainly s my d, but our gov will do nothing unless it benefits the aristocrats in Washington DC.
LMCane
Not a Bot said:

agent-maroon said:

Quote:

I'm guessing we disabled it's surveillance capabilities before this hit the news.
One would certainly hope so. But what was it trying to accomplish with all the maneuvering? Did someone think it could run away somewhere and hide?
It was floating with the prevailing upper atmospheric winds.
are you just ignorant of reality or willfully spreading Chinese Communist propaganda?

Reuters
Chinese spy balloon changes course, floating over central United States- Pentagon

Fri, February 3, 2023 at 1:51 PM EST

By Phil Stewart and Idrees Ali

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -A Chinese spy balloon has changed course and is now floating eastward at about 60,000 feet (18,300 meters) over the central United States, demonstrating a capability to maneuver, the U.S. military said on Friday, in the latest twist to a spying saga that led U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken to postpone a visit to China.
Not a Bot
AG
LMCane said:

akaggie05 said:

It just got shot down.

It was a good shot. Looks like maybe a Sidewinder based on the contrail and short range. Likely able to get a good lock on the big truss section.
JB!98
AG
Not a Bot said:

Looks like what would be an AIM-9X which would have both IR and a radar seeker. That's why it hit the sensor which had a bigger radar return than the balloon itself. Just my uneducated assumption.
Cromagnum
AG
So what does POTATUS say about this at the SOTU on Tuesday?
Stat Monitor Repairman
I'm sitting here this whole time thinking, ok ... I trust that someone has got a plan and knows what they are doing. There's a lot we don't know. The main consideration is capturing the ballon with electronics intact.

[Pepaw:] ... shoots down balloon with missile over ocean

Ok.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
suburban cowboy
AG
it probably had Hunter's laptop and Hillary's emails onboard
Stat Monitor Repairman
Now the electronics can go to the bottom of the ocean say hey to bin Laden.

So no intelligence gained from either.
dead
What would the armchair generals of F16 have done differently?
nortex97
AG
Cromagnum said:

Had to get permission from panda boss man before taking it down. Xiden is just following his orders.
Rockdoc
AG
bmks270 said:

You just get out of bed? Quit covering for your leader.
JB!98
AG
dead said:

What would the armchair generals of F16 have done differently?
The same thing that you just watched on TV, EXCEPT A DAMN WEEK AGO!
Dan Scott
AG
The US has the best geographic advantage of any country and we failed to take advantage of it. Oceans to the East and West. Not so dense Canada to the North along most of the border. And not so dense Mexico within 100 miles of the border. Anything unidentified within 100 miles of US territory should be shot down immediately. I don't care if it happens in Mexico or Canada, we can makeup for any damage it causes to them. This is the price for security.
MarathonAg12
redcrayon said:

It probably wasn't able to gather/transmit info anymore which is why it wouldn't make sense to endanger civilians to shoot it down.

This!

The threat to national security did not outweigh the risk of killing civilians on the ground
dead
Ok, Nostradamus

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.