Chinese Spy Balloon

94,630 Views | 1075 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by lb3
Dimebag Darrell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Letting it cross the entire continental US before shooting it down is bad optics at the very least. But maybe some of you are right and it's just 32D chess, and we actually won this one. I am losing faith in our increasingly woke and LGBTQ obsessed DoD and military though.

We are mediocre now. Last war we won was like almost 80 years ago. Pretty crappy track record ever since.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

aggielostinETX said:

So it seems the former military guys here all agree that we should not have shoot it down prior to this. Why did we even let it get here?

This seems like a massive **** up by our military to allow it to even get over our air space. Explain that.

That's what I mean by carrying the water. Y'all seem to be defending, poor performance and bad decisions.
I'm not former. I'm current.

For reasons that go beyond your comprehension of national defense. There are experts conducting surviellnce in china, the Pacific Ocean and at home. This goes way beyond "see bad balloon, shoot bad balloon". With some of the most sophisticated intelligence gathering platforms in the world, both on ground and space, we deemed it to be a threat not worth shooting down over American soil.

Think strategic level impacts and influence and not tactical capabilities.

I wish I had a shred of faith in the folks running things at that level. Afghanistan exit was a debacle and have huge questions regarding overall military readiness and abilities.
girlfriend_experience
Imagine if this was happening under a Trump administration the crying from the left would be crazy
redcrayon
AG
Stringfellow Hawke said:

MarathonAg12 said:

aggielostinETX said:

So it seems the former military guys here all agree that we should not have shoot it down prior to this. Why did we even let it get here?

This seems like a massive **** up by our military to allow it to even get over our air space. Explain that.

That's what I mean by carrying the water. Y'all seem to be defending, poor performance and bad decisions.
I'm not former. I'm current.

For reasons that go beyond your comprehension of national defense. There are experts conducting surviellnce in china, the Pacific Ocean and at home. This goes way beyond "see bad balloon, shoot bad balloon". With some of the most sophisticated intelligence gathering platforms in the world, both on ground and space, we deemed it to be a threat not worth shooting down over American soil.

Think strategic level impacts and influence and not tactical capabilities.

I wish I had a shred of faith in the folks running things at that level. Afghanistan exit was a debacle and have huge questions regarding overall military readiness and abilities.
That was a civilian decision.
Rockdoc
AG
Balloons just don't mess with us. You won't make it more than a few days. Take that!!!
TexAgs91
AG
redcrayon said:

TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

Rapier108 said:

redcrayon said:

We can't just shoot stuff down and endanger civilians. That debris can kill people and destroy property.
When it was over Montana, there are virtually nothing for it to fall on. Should have been blasted out of the sky right then and there.

Actually, should have shot it down over the Aleutian Islands.
Why would we do that when we had disabled it's ability to gather and transmit data?

You can't predict where the debris will land. This isn't that simple.

Actually, we can. Ever heard of physics?
I guess you should call the Pentagon and let them know that you are better at physics than they are. I'm sure they'd love your assistance since they're all idiots.

I see. So you've heard from the pentagon that they weren't able to predict where the debris would land?

The only thing in that balloon that's hard to track is the helium. Everything else is heavier than air and will fall.

You have its position, initial velocity, and the military should know what range of velocities the debris would spread from the impact point. You figure out a range of terminal velocities of the likely debris, and then you take into account the winds that the debris would fall through.

I'm sure the pentagon has plenty of smart people who can figure that out.
"Freedom is never more than one election away from extinction"
Fight! Fight! Fight!
girlfriend_experience
I see the liberal talking points are out !

Ballon isn't that big of a deal carry on
Funky Winkerbean
AG
girlfriend_experience said:

I see the liberal talking points are out !

Ballon isn't that big of a deal carry on
Not even bigger than a laptop incriminating the office of the POTUS.
redcrayon
AG
TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

Rapier108 said:

redcrayon said:

We can't just shoot stuff down and endanger civilians. That debris can kill people and destroy property.
When it was over Montana, there are virtually nothing for it to fall on. Should have been blasted out of the sky right then and there.

Why would we do that when we had disabled it's ability to gather and transmit data?

I guess you should call the Pentagon and let them know that you are better at physics than they are. I'm sure they'd love your assistance since they're all idiots.

I see. So you've heard from the pentagon that they weren't able to predict where the debris would land?

The only thing in that balloon that's hard to track is the helium. Everything else is heavier than air and will fall.

You have its position, initial velocity, and the military should know what range of velocities the debris would spread from the impact point. You figure out a range of terminal velocities of the likely debris, and then you take into account the winds that the debris would fall through.

The military advised not to shoot it down over the continental US for the reasons I stated. I'll trust they know more than you do.
Stat Monitor Repairman
TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

Rapier108 said:

redcrayon said:

This is barber shop conversation. We're looking at all this play out asking questions and raising issues.

Yes, presumably they know what's going on, had a plan and have it all figured out.

Nobody is trying to pretend like this ain't the peanut gallery.

Not a Bot
AG
SPF250 said:

If it really took a sidewinder, due to altitude or some other reason, I can somewhat see waiting until it was over the ocean to shoot it down. Minuscule risk from the balloon falling over Montana, but a sidewinder is a whole other thing.

Edit: See Elimanatus' post while I was typing.

No guarantee it would have locked on and hit due to the potentially low heat and radar cross section. I think that was the fear and they didn't want a sidewinder flying on a ballistic trajectory somewhere. Not sure a longer-range radar-guided missile would have been able to hit it.

No idea why Alaska or Montana was any more risky though. You aren't hitting civilians in those areas, either.
213 Grove
AG
doubledog
TexAgs91 said:

And there is a good chance that they bought that Helium from the U.S. Let that sink in.

TexAgs91
AG
Brittmoore Car Club said:

Letting it cross the entire continental US before shooting it down is bad optics at the very least. But maybe some of you are right and it's just 32D chess, and we actually won this one. I am losing faith in our increasingly woke and LGBTQ obsessed DoD and military though.

We are mediocre now. Last war we won was like almost 80 years ago. Pretty crappy track record ever since.

Winning the cold war was a notable achievement.
Fight! Fight! Fight!
redcrayon
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

Rapier108 said:

redcrayon said:

This is barber shop conversation. We're looking at all this play out asking questions and raising issues.

Yes, presumably they know what's going on, had a plan and have it all figured out.

Nobody is trying to pretend like this ain't the peanut gallery.

I don't know about that.
aggielostinETX
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

aggielostinETX said:

Pumpkinhead said:

aggielostinETX said:

Pumpkinhead said:

aggielostinETX said:

They shot it down so it would fall in water off the East coast near Norfolk where a bunch of Navy water recovery assets are. Yes, they clearly decided to wait to do that. And anybody opining they definitely made a mistake okay you slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night and know for sure that was the wrong approach. Everybody has a right to their opinion.

Do you not think that letting it get over US soil was a mistake?

Has anybody been hurt yet by this? Apparently no, and they shot it down in a way and over water near Norfolk naval base making it as easy as possible to recover it.

So folks against what they did, can you 100% say with factual evidence that approach was wrong?

Can you say with 100% accuracy that it was correct? What Intel was gathered as a traversed over Alaska and then over the rest of the country. What are they gonna use that intel for? Any ideas?
What is your background in? Conspiracy theory and message board applications?

Your inability to accept the fact of spy games and letting this balloon dance across the US says it all. There is more at play here then the tangible object. We did this for a reason if we saw no threat.

1. You have no idea on my background. You might want to not assume so much.

2. My background is deep enough to know if you actually had any idea what was going with this balloon and the military, you wouldn't be on here talking about it and risking you clearance. Which tells me you don't know **** except what you want others to think you know.

3. Maybe take a step back and take a deep breathe and realize someone let a persistent threat exist over the US for far too long and many people aren't good with that.
Stat Monitor Repairman
TexAgs91 said:

Sitting here in 2023, I can't say that the Cold War ever ended.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

StandUpforAmerica said:

The same fearless leader Putin who can't even take over Ukraine (financed by the American taxpayer)?

You think he has a chance with us?

I'm as conservative as they come too

FIFY.
TexAgs91
AG
redcrayon said:

TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

Rapier108 said:

redcrayon said:

The military advised not to shoot it down over the continental US for the reasons I stated. I'll trust they know more than you do.

Stop deflecting. We're talking about your statement that you can't predict where the debris would land.
Fight! Fight! Fight!
redcrayon
AG
TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

Rapier108 said:

redcrayon said:

Stop deflecting. We're talking about your statement that you can't predict where the debris would land.
I'm not deflecting. I'm repeating what they said about why they didn't want to shoot it down over the continental US. Maybe they were lying. Maybe they know more about what kind of debris or contaminants would come down. Again, if you know more, send them an email. I'm sure they get more than a few per week.
TexAgs91
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

TexAgs91 said:

Sitting here in 2023, I can't say that the Cold War ever ended.

The Soviet Union was ended. We got complacent after that fact and let Russia come back to where it's at now.
Fight! Fight! Fight!
Burdizzo
AG
doubledog said:

TexAgs91 said:

And there is a good chance that they bought that Helium from the U.S. Let that sink in.

Helium doesn't sink, silly.
redcrayon
AG
aggielostinETX said:

MarathonAg12 said:

aggielostinETX said:

Pumpkinhead said:

aggielostinETX said:

Pumpkinhead said:

aggielostinETX said:

They shot it down so it would fall in water off the East coast near Norfolk where a bunch of Navy water recovery assets are. Yes, they clearly decided to wait to do that. And anybody opining they definitely made a mistake okay you slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night and know for sure that was the wrong approach. Everybody has a right to their opinion.

Has anybody been hurt yet by this? Apparently no, and they shot it down in a way and over water near Norfolk naval base making it as easy as possible to recover it.

So folks against what they did, can you 100% say with factual evidence that approach was wrong?

Can you say with 100% accuracy that it was correct? What Intel was gathered as a traversed over Alaska and then over the rest of the country. What are they gonna use that intel for? Any ideas?

Your inability to accept the fact of spy games and letting this balloon dance across the US says it all. There is more at play here then the tangible object. We did this for a reason if we saw no threat.

2. My background is deep enough to know if you actually had any idea what was going with this balloon and the military, you wouldn't be on here talking about it and risking you clearance. Which tells me you don't know **** except what you want others to think you know.

3. Maybe take a step back and take a deep breathe and realize someone let a persistent threat exist over the US for far too long and many people aren't good with that.
He's being exceedingly non-specific. He isn't risking his clearance.
MarathonAg12
aggielostinETX said:

MarathonAg12 said:

aggielostinETX said:

Pumpkinhead said:

aggielostinETX said:

Pumpkinhead said:

aggielostinETX said:

It's time to take off the tin foil hat.

@NSA @FBI

You are the real crazy with a certificate from Info Wars. You have no clue what you are talking about.
2040huck
girlfriend_experience said:

Bidens America where China tbags us with a spy balloon
lol. Read where two floated over while Trump was president
Proc92
Any links from back when it happened?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
We just shot it down
https://i.postimg.cc/rpHKr9JQ/IMG-0770.jpg
DannyDuberstein
AG
Let it float over the entire country and shoot it down at the end of its journey. This is a joke, right? It was either shoot-down worthy or it wasn't. If it is shoot-down worthy, you hit that thing way out west
TexAgs91
AG
redcrayon said:

TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

Rapier108 said:

redcrayon said:

I'm not deflecting. I'm repeating what they said about why they didn't want to shoot it down over the continental US. Maybe they were lying. Maybe they know more about what kind of debris or contaminants would come down. Again, if you know more, send them an email. I'm sure they get more than a few per week.

I think we can assume there are people within the DoD who know basic physics. Whether they're concealing what they know about that or not is not surprising and is deflecting from your original statement that we can't know where the debris would fall. I've just listed the things you'd have to consider to calculate that. None of which is unknowable. Is there anything else that's unknowable that I should have included?
Fight! Fight! Fight!
jt16
AG
Proc92 said:

Any links from back when it happened?

No, just some ramblings from a reporter with tds. Nothing evidentiary.
BadMoonRisin
AG
redcrayon said:

TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

Rapier108 said:

redcrayon said:

Lmao. We put a man on the moon more than 50 years ago and now we can't figure out how to pop a balloon.

Got it. Then why do we pay these ******s trillions of dollars a year for national defense? Can we get a refund?
redcrayon
AG
TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

Rapier108 said:

redcrayon said:

I think we can assume there are people within the DoD who know basic physics. Whether they're concealing what they know about that or not is not surprising and is deflecting from your original statement that we can't know where the debris would fall. I've just listed the things you'd have to consider to calculate that. None of which is unknowable. Is there anything else that's unknowable that I should have included?
What the balloon was carrying. What we could shoot it down with. Other unknown unknowns.

They knew more than you and didn't think it was worth endangering civilians lives or property. Not hard. But maybe they were lying. Email them and ask.

Going out to dinner. Everyone enjoy your surveillance-free evening. Oh, wait....
aggielostinETX
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

aggielostinETX said:

MarathonAg12 said:

aggielostinETX said:

Pumpkinhead said:

aggielostinETX said:

Pumpkinhead said:

aggielostinETX said:

It's time to take off the tin foil hat.

@NSA @FBI

You are the real crazy with a certificate from Info Wars. You have no clue what you are talking about.

Off to amazon to order more tin foil.
Proc92
Seems that trump would have loved to have had the opportunity to shoot down and exploit China for such had it really happened. He was making a living off painting China as the pos it is. I'm sure the Chinavirus guy would have not relished a pr opportunity. Of course, that assumes the pentagon actually told him as it happened.
WolfCall
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

redcrayon said:

TexAgs91 said:

redcrayon said:

Rapier108 said:

redcrayon said:

Lmao. We put a man on the moon more than 50 years ago and now we can't figure out how to pop a balloon.

Got it. Then why do we pay these ******s trillions of dollars a year for national defense? Can we get a refund?
We put a man on the moon more than 50 years ago and now we can't figure out how to pop a balloon.

^ This
You voted for this because you didn't like Mean Tweets?!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.