*** The Book of Boba Fett *** (Discussion Thread) Wed Dec 29 - Feb 9

157,698 Views | 1966 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
twilly said:

Why do I get the strange feeling that the Mando-Grogu reunion doesn't actually happen in this series, but in Mando Season 3. To totally subvert and overshadow the lead character for the last 1/4 a series seems extreme.
They teed it up really hard, so it's gonna be interesting to see what they do.

One possibility is that we stay on Tatooine, Mando returns, gets injured and has to go in Boba's bacta tank.

S3 of Mando opens with a flashbacta to him seeing Grogu.
The Collective
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Red Five said:

helloimustbegoing said:

And in the uber-fanboy make-believe world, what if Mando visits Luke and says, "I heard you grew up on Tatooine. The Pyke Syndicate has taken control of it and is subjugating the entire population. Perhaps you could come home and help run them off?"

I swear to God if this doesn't happen now I am holding you personally responsible for my disappointment.
Pyke Syndicate army marching on Jabba's palace, the main gate opens up.

Lineup:
Black Krrsantan
Fennec Shan
Mando
Luke Skywalker
Boba riding his Rancor

This would be the Star Wars equivalent of a Benjamin Knox painting.
tk for tu juan
I Have Spoken said:

Not until force ghost Obi-Wan and Anakin are watching from the sky with flying McGee
maroon barchetta
SIAP

Alpha Texan
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

That's definitely not a BH ship though

Will be interested to see what Mando does if he keeps being a BH.

Would it have been possible for him to accept the duel with Mando Grande but not use the Dark Saber? Or is a duel strictly with some sort of bladed weapon?

More interestingly, will Luke allow this interaction to happen?

And in the uber-fanboy make-believe world, what if Mando visits Luke and says, "I heard you grew up on Tatooine. The Pyke Syndicate has taken control of it and is subjugating the entire population. Perhaps you could come home and help run them off?"

Nice post.

I think Mando is done bounty hunting. He seemed to do it because he needed to, but now he has a soft spot for life. I think he's more inclined to try to help people now than just be a rogue source of justice. Additionally, Boba describes the whole bounty hunting/assassin life to Shand as being terrible, like they're being used with no loyalty, so for Mando to "grow," he has to leave it behind.

I'm trying to think back to stuff like the Clone Wars and how the dark saber is won and lost, and it seems like the ritual is that you have to defeat the holder WHILE they use it to battle you. I can't seem to remember anyone who had it setting it aside to use a blaster or anything so I think it has to be part of the trial by combat.

Will Luke allow any interaction? I think, yes. Luke is far more balanced than the jedi of the prequels. After all his shortcomings that led to the sequels, Luke sees clearly the failure of the jedi, in fact, he pretty much says that the constant record of jedi is failure, throughout history. I think he sees the value of healthy connection and will allow it. After all, he still maintains connection with Leia, as his sister. In the prequels, the lack of connection to life is part of what turns many jedi into simple soldiers, but the connections that some Jedi have (Obi-Wan to the Duchess, Plo-Koon to his clones, Rey to Kylo, even though Palpatine twisted it against him Anakin's love for Padme made him just want to end the war, etc.) is what inspires them to fight to save something, and not just be power hungry war heroes. Lack of connection to people will lead to a lack of love for life, so I think Luke will support the connection.

Lastly, that would be absolutely amazing if Luke came back and fought. It might be a bit much to CGI, part of why it worked well in Mando was that it was just a tad and he was cloaked while fighting, but he could stay cloaked now, too, or maybe it's time for Sebastian Stan Luke Skywalker. It would be especially fun to see Mando introduce Luke and Boba and they're both like, "Seriously? THIS GUY. Nope, don't want any part of it." And Luke could also bring along a padawan or 2 for some combat training, but ultimately, I think it's best not to do this. I already feel like Mando stole the show. Literally. The best episode, imo, was 100% Mando, and Boba wasn't even in it! So I'd hate to hijack Boba's moment any more.
Alpha Texan
AG
Flashdiaz said:

twilly said:

Why do I get the strange feeling that the Mando-Grogu reunion doesn't actually happen in this series, but in Mando Season 3. To totally subvert and overshadow the lead character for the last 1/4 a series seems extreme.
and Luke with Boba would be awkward, his fight with Luke is what caused him to go into the Sarlaac after all.
I had the same thought. Neither of them is gonna be very fond of the other, although it was ultimately Han who sealed Boba's fate to suffer through the Sarlaac, and Boba can hardly be upset, seeing as how Boba did freeze Han in Carbon at one point.
Duncan Idaho
tk for tu juan said:

I Have Spoken said:

Not until force ghost Obi-Wan and Anakin are watching from the sky with flying McGee

Softly fight the mandalore
CC09LawAg
Decay said:

The biggest oddity is just that we had an episode of Mando in a different show.

It makes sense in a wider context but it's downright odd to do it here and now. The worst part is that it was the best episode of this show. Also the best episodes of either show featuring Boba were in The Mandolorian. So we're in some slog through a bunch of junk just to tease out a backstory for a character we like, in a show we don't like, for a future we probably will like, and just featured a character we totally love.

I'd totally believe they screened The Book Of Boba Fett, found the testers asleep, and pushed a rewrite through where they slammed the first episode of Mando into this series and will worry about reworking that show later.
This is how I felt but more eloquently stated.
HalifaxAg
AG
powerbelly said:

jeffk said:

helloimustbegoing said:

jeffk said:

I don't understand why the dark saber is "heavy." And don't give me the "you're fighting against it" line.

Yeah, I remembered that. Still doesn't really explain the heaviness.

Im imagining an early lightsaber like the darksaber it tough to control without the force. Not well balanced or energy flow not balanced. Something like that.
I think it's part of the setup for Grogu to be the next Jedi/Mandalorian like the creator of the darksaber.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://comicbook.com/starwars/news/star-wars-fans-clash-over-the-mandalorian-taking-over-book-of-boba-fett/
CC09LawAg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

https://comicbook.com/starwars/news/star-wars-fans-clash-over-the-mandalorian-taking-over-book-of-boba-fett/
If the next episode is all Boba again, with there being 7 episodes (which I feel like is a strange number) it will be hard to convince me they didn't shove this in there after some bad screenings or something
Alpha Texan
AG
I'm not sure if this makes it more odd or less odd, but probably 2 of the fan favorite moments in the Mandalorian were Luke Skywalker mowing through a platoon of elite droids and Boba Fett pulling up on Tython and going total ham on a bunch of stormtroopers, shattering armor with his lil stick.

Some of the most epic moments on these shows are coming from the characters who basically just make cameos. Perhaps it's in response to Star Wars fans complaining that some of the characters never actually grow to get good, they're just magically good, like Rey. If that's the case, then they're overcompensating with making them look weak. Mando has always been a good fighter but faces huge challenges and just kinda skimped by, but Boba was far more succesful when he was like 15 years old in the clone wars and can't earn respect now. Heck, he almost got killed when a bunch of dudes almost poked him to death,
Capitol Ag
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Capitol Ag said:

I am confused why some think that this was a filler episode. No, Boba wasn't in it. But they did this with The Mandalorian as well, where one episode would go into either a past event or an even ongoing elsewhere that would eventually tie back into the current storyline. Honestly, the only time this bothers me is if you left a cliffhanger and turn on the show only to be left waiting the next few weeks for a conclusion to where they left off. GOT did that a few times iirc. Hell, didn't South Park make fun of this by having what was supposed to be a conclusion episode go purposefully in a different direction? Here, while they did help set up Mando3, there are probably a lot of details setting up what is coming and there wasn't a real cliff hanger. Yes, it says quite a bit that it was the "best" episode of BOBF and he wasn't in it but the show HAS been good so far and worthy of me watching. I do not think the writers added this episode b/c they thought the show was flat and needed a "Mando" boost but just know that A. Mando IS the best Star Wars character currently. I mean, I know so many adults who I never would think are Star Wars or fantasy fans have Baby Yoda shirts, dolls on their desks etc. Even if BOBF were absolutely killing it, MCU style, I think they would have had this episode b/c there are probably a lot of Mando/Grogu fans watching b/c of Mando and they felt that they could throw them a bone. Genius as it will keep them happy and keep everyone watching, or coming back if all they wanted was "more Mando and Grogu".

As for the issues many have with BOBF, I understand it. Just do it chronologically and all would have been fine. But I still am extremely invested. It's SW. And I actually like what they have done regarding character development with Boba and Fennic. JMO....
Ehhh... poor take IMO

This would have been like having the Mando episode before the Krayt Dragon episode be 100% about Cobb Vanth and not even feature the Mando; but have the mechanic lady in it at the very end.

I liked the episode, but this was supposed to be a Book of Boba Fett episode and not a Mando episode.

If this was planned, well holy sheeet they lucked out, as people are kinda stale on BF and needed to get them back in. If not, they saw the writing on the wall and put this into place from wherever it was supposed to be originally. While not a season ending episode, this could have easily been 2nd half or end of S2 of Mando.
It had to be planned. I doubt that they have done enough of season 3 of Mando to just take it from there plus that would be a headache and not to mention the ending with Fennic. And I doubt they filmed the episode after "knowing" that BOBF would be considered flat by some and added it back in after the fact. I think that they planned this as a way to reintroduce Mando and set up the reasons why he would end up back on Tatooine. Otherwise, he just shows up ready for battle and that might leave the audience wondering where he'd been this whole time. Given the emotional connection with Mando, I think the writers wanted to do some fan service to catch fans up with what Mando's been up to since leaving Grogu with Luke.
The Porkchop Express
tk for tu juan said:

I Have Spoken said:

The Pykes came across the rolling dune of sand by the thousands. Armored transports, speeder bikes, mercenaries in landspeeders, and phalanx after phalanx of foot soldiers. They could have captured all of Tatooine with this army. Today, they would use it to take Jabba's Palace.

Riding astride his pet rancor, Fluffy, Boba Fett stood at the gate of the palace that had so recently become his home. He was flanked by his own forces, powerful, but woefully few.
To his left, Black Krrsantan, the Wookiee bounty hunter who had only recently tried to assassinate him while he rested in his bacta tank. Only the timely intervention of Velma, Daphne, Fred, Shaggy, and the rest of the gang had saved him. He had hoped they would have come today to stand with him, but none of them had returned their permission slips in time.

No matter. Standing in the shadow of the towering Wookiee was Din Djarin, now just another outlaw in Mandalorian Combat Armor. Djarin was wearing a suit of pure Beskar and had weapons for days. He wouldn't go down easy.

To his right, Master Assassin Fennec Shand, holding her sniper rifle and looking damn fine despite her six decades of life. If he survived the battle, Boba Fett made a mental note to finally getting around to dropping the old seismic charge on that ass. He realized that Fennec wasn't looking for targets in the Pyke column, but rather was gazing distractedly at the fifth member of their defense force.

Skywalker. Whose face looked a lot more convincing since they'd hired that Deepfake guy. The Jedi sorcerer was suspended in mid-air, legs crossed, his eyes closed but moving rapidly.
"Excuse me?" Fennec asked of Djarin, "But does your friend often do that?"

Djarin shrugged his shoulders as Skywalker came out of his weird trance. He took a deep breath and smiled. "The Pykes' overconfidence is their weakness."

The wizard started spinning his hands together and behind the small group, a glowing circle of light appeared. Fett narrowed his eyes as a trio of figures stepped through it. They were aliens, two long and lanky, one shorter and obese.

"Meesa called Jar Jar Binks!" the leader said, "Meesa your humble servant! Thissen Captain Tarpals and the Big Boss Nass, yo honor! Weesa here to help!"

As Fett started wordlessly at the idiotic looking creatures, his helmet com buzzed.
"Boba Fett?" an oddly familiar voice said. "Boba Fett? Where?"
With a roar that shook the rafters, a ship came out of hyperspace overhead. An all-too-familiar YT-1300 Corellian freighter. It did a 360-degree swivel and hovered in mid-air above the palace.
The cockpit opened up and Han Solo's sneering mug appeared. "You know, sometimes I even amaze myself!" he called down.

But even the appearance of the moron who knocked him into the Sarlaac couldn't hold Fett's attention, as more circles of light opened up around him, spilling out Ahsoka Tano, Lando Calrissian piloting the Lady Luck, Wedge Antilles and Rogue Squadron, Bo-Katan Kryze, Bossk flying the Hound's Tooth, carrying IG-88, Dengar, Zuckuss and 4LOM (or is it 4LOM and Zuckuss?), Admiral Ackbar at the controls of Home One, broadcasting "IT's A TRAP, *****ES!" on all hailing frequencies.

On and on they came until they blocked out the twin suns above.

The first circle of light had gotten larger and larger still, bringing forth a massive army of the strange Gungans, who were now pounding their spears on the ground as they chanted "MOOEY, MOOEY! MOOEY, MOOEY! MOOEY, MOOEY!"

The Pykes armed their weapons and prepared for war.

Fett opened his mouth to rally his troops to war, when Binks pushed past him, lowering his Opee Sea Killer battle helmet as he screamed "OTOH GUNGA FOREVER!"

So began the War for Tatooine.
Flashdiaz
AG
maroon barchetta said:

SIAP

awesome! but yes, he should have grabbed his girl, used jetpack to escape, get his helmet via wrist rope thingy, and drop a thermal detonator or 2 into the circle of bad guys looking up at the badassness they're experiencing.

but no, we got a bad parkour chase fight.
TCTTS
AG
CC09LawAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

If the next episode is all Boba again, with there being 7 episodes (which I feel like is a strange number) it will be hard to convince me they didn't shove this in there after some bad screenings or something

This isn't how TV works. They don't test screen episodes/seasons. That's not a thing.

Every shot of every episode is planned months in advance, if not years in some cases. Preproduction/production/post-production of a season - with each episode simultaneously in one of those stages - is a highly complicated machine that doesn't allow much wiggle room once the wheels are in motion.

I really don't understand why/how people are so thrown for a loop on this. Again, for the cheap seats, The Book of Boba Fett was *born* out of The Mandalorian. Their characters/plots *already* overlapped. In fact, they're basically the same show, just focusing on different angles of a broader story.

That, and they all premiered/will premiere around the same time of year...

Q4 2019 = The Mandalorian - S1
Q4 2020 = The Mandalorian - S2
Q4 2021 = The Book of Boba Fett
Q4 2022 = The Mandalorian - S3

... which is another sign that BOBF is basically season 2.5 of Mando.

Especially in the age of the MCU and cinematic universes, it's so weird to me that some people can't just roll with these kinds of things criss-crossing and shifting focus by now.
LPHA
AG
You're right about the criss-crossing. I bet people are going to ***** and moan when Mephisto is revealed as the big bad in the next few episodes.
Saxsoon
AG
LPHA said:

You're right about the criss-crossing. I bet people are going to ***** and moan when Mephisto is revealed as the big bad in the next few episodes.
Black Krysantten and the Mayor are Skrulls.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fun fact, LOST showed a few episodes in a different order than they were originally produced/numbered.

I'm sure it's probably happened on sitcoms too, but it's interesting for a show that was so serialized.

It helped that they covered two sets of characters with very few of them overlapping.

Makes you wonder if that isn't something they could've done for BF / Mando as well. (Not suggesting they did, but certainly not impossible.)
Duncan Idaho
Got an audible chuckle out of me
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Fun fact, LOST showed a few episodes in a different order than they were originally produced/numbered.

I'm sure it's probably happened on sitcoms too, but it's interesting for a show that was so serialized.

It helped that they covered two sets of characters with very few of them overlapping.

Makes you wonder if that isn't something they could've done for BF / Mando as well. (Not suggesting they did, but certainly not impossible.)

Lost was 10-15 years ago and not a show that required all kinds of previs, shot in a volume, and featured months of heavy CGI in post-production.
CrottyKid
AG
Now that Mando is basically disowned from his extreme Mandalorian cult, he can do a bunch of stuff. He can go find Gina, Olyphant, Apollo, Bill Burr, the hot villager lady who wanted to have his babies, Asohka, Luke, and Grogu. He can do whatever he wants and take off his helmet and party.
PatAg
AG
CrottyKid said:

Now that Mando is basically disowned from his extreme Mandalorian cult, he can do a bunch of stuff. He can go find Gina, Olyphant, Apollo, Bill Burr, the hot villager lady who wanted to have his babies, Asohka, Luke, and Grogu. He can do whatever he wants and take off his helmet and party.
They gave us the impression he is going to go to Mandalore and try to get to those waters beneath the destroyed mines, whatever that means.

I think it definitely ends with him realizing he needs to move on, but who knows.
TCTTS
AG
For sure. He definitely cares about regaining his Mandalorian honor/status. That was pretty clear.

So, yeah, I imagine season three is him doing whatever the Armorer said he needed to do in the mines of Mandalore or whatever, to become a Mandalorian again.

Then, it felt to me like they purposely set up two Mandalorian factions at odds here - the way of the Armorer and the way of Bo-Katan & co. So maybe Mando then has to choose which team to join/path to take, or maybe ultimately paves his own way, in the take back of Mandalore. Something along those lines.

Either way, I think his bounty hunting days are over.
maroon barchetta
What if the waters of the mines are actually Bacta???
Southlake
Hey, anybody here actually work?
Saxsoon
AG
TCTTS said:

For sure. He definitely cares about regaining his Mandalorian honor/status. That was pretty clear.

So, yeah, I imagine season three is him doing whatever the Armorer said he needed to do in the mines of Mandalore or whatever, to become a Mandalorian again.

Then, it felt to me like they purposely set up two Mandalorian factions at odds here - the way of the Armorer and the way of Bo-Katan & co. So maybe Mando then has to choose which team to join/path to take, or maybe ultimately paves his own way, in the take back of Mandalore. Something along those lines.

Either way, I think his bounty hunting days are over.

Y'all can get in or gtfo. I have the dark saber
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It it sets up a Season 2, I'd love to see Boba head to Coruscant.
redline248
AG
Southlake said:

Hey, anybody here actually work?
lol, yeah this thread blew up

I thought today of what this episode reminded me. When the CW was running those crossover things with Arrow/Flash/Supergirl. Only difference being we aren't getting both shows running at the same time.
Prosperdick
AG
chase128
AG
Probably hard to be a bounty hunter if your ship doesn't have much cargo space, too. Where you gonna fit the slabs of frozen carbonite bodies? Kinda limits what you can do.
The Dirty Sock
chase128 said:

Probably hard to be a bounty hunter if your ship doesn't have much cargo space, too. Where you gonna fit the slabs of frozen carbonite bodies? Kinda limits what you can do.

You can probably fit a head in a glove box. Gonna need to ice it though.
tk for tu juan
Mando in Starfighter = Air Force
Black Krrsantan = Marines
Boba on Rancor = Army
PatAg
AG
Needs to purify himself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka
C@LAg
chase128 said:

tow it behind you, like a space freighter does.

just get a trailer hitch and hang some rubber rancor balls from it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.