*** The Book of Boba Fett *** (Discussion Thread) Wed Dec 29 - Feb 9

157,715 Views | 1966 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Decay said:

Saxsoon said:

Not necessarily, it was in fact gifted to her by Sabine. She never won it in combat
Yeah if anything it's just enforcing the legitimacy of the mythos.
All it does is give confirmation bias to the Deathwatch. If Sabine had stayed to rule Mandalore the Empire would have still crushed the planet and she'd likely be dead.
The Porkchop Express
Warning: Rambling post incoming

So I've pretty much thought about the episode since I finished watching it, hoping to watch again tonight.

The opening scene really reminded me of the opening of the Ahsoka episode from Mando Season 2. I remember us all speculating when we'd see her and if we'd see her lightsabers, and Filoni delivered her in the first scene, just like BDH did here with Mando.

I usually judge my best reactions to entertainment by whether or not it makes me talk at the screen (usually doesn't), but I gave a "Yeah!" like a kid when I saw it was him, and then a "Damn, Mando!" when he cut the bounty in half. Then another "Yeah!" for the title "Return of the Mandalorian"

Kudos to Disney+ for being to keep so many secrets under wraps with Mando, I'm guessing it has more to do with being able to film in the Volume than anything - you're not on locations with a zillion people seeing everything you're filming.

BDH also directed "Sanctuary" in Season 1 and "The Heiress" in Season 2, so combined with this episode, she's gotten the reins on two episodes that really dive deep into the history of Mandalore the planet and connect Clone Wars / Rebels / Mando/ Fett together.

I love that he's using the Darksaber without really knowing how to use it. More of "I know this thing is going to kill everyone right away" choice. Sort of like using a bazooka in a video game when the game play calls for a pistol.

Have to echo that I was horrified that Anakin's pod was under that tarp. Although that gave the faint hope that he would disintegrate Amy Sedaris for trying to pull a fast one on him. That's definitely not a BH ship though, he was clearly living on the Crest. I suppose the N-1 has some sort of storage space you could put a carbonite block, but it doesn't have the facilities for the process nor anything else.

Will be interested to see what Mando does if he keeps being a BH. The fact that he'll not be giving the credits he earns to the Enclave would seemingly mean he'd be get really rich, really quickly and be able to find a replacement Razor Crest and outfit himself easily in a short amount of time.

Would it have been possible for him to accept the duel with Mando Grande but not use the Dark Saber? Or is a duel strictly with some sort of bladed weapon?

Is he really going to visit Luke and Grogu? More interestingly, will Luke allow this interaction to happen? Since we're assuming he's going to be in the last 2 episodes of BOBF, will that happen off screen and we have to wait until Season 3 of Mando to see it? I really wonder if Luke is adhering strictly to the code of the Jedi that taught him when it comes to attachments - he redeemed Vader through love, which is supposedly a forbidden attachment, will he forbid Grogu from keeping a relationship with Mando?

And in the uber-fanboy make-believe world, what if Mando visits Luke and says, "I heard you grew up on Tatooine. The Pyke Syndicate has taken control of it and is subjugating the entire population. Perhaps you could come home and help run them off?"

jeffk
AG
chase128 said:

I remember reading some Star Wars tech-lore as a kid about lightsabers feeling like hold a spinning top. There was some kind of centrifugal force due to the "power loop" going on.

Yeah, that would make sense. And that jives with the "fighting against it" lines. If anything, it would make sense for lightsabers to be too *light* compared to real metal swords or weapons, but the energy looping creating a pull of its own is a good explanation.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Great episode but LOL that the best episode of the Boba Fett series didnt have him in it
jackie childs
incredible episode.

i do wonder though if it had more to do with BDH or the return of Mando.

keep in mind, we got some flashbacks, a scene where he's just boarding a commercial ship, and an extended "pimp my Naboo ride" montage. yet i never felt bored or disinterested. so i think a lot of the credit just goes to BDH for having a better grasp of story-telling and pacing.

i think it would have been cool to have mando go have a sit down with boba while the ship was fixed up (off-screen). i think that would help move Boba's story forward (which addresses some of the "boba's not even in it" criticisms) and also let Boba piggyback a bit off the momentum of Mando.

plus we'd get to see Mando's reaction to the mighty morphin vespa rangers.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The fact that the X-Wing pilot was played by Luke's double makes me think we do see Luke this season.
Red Five
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

And in the uber-fanboy make-believe world, what if Mando visits Luke and says, "I heard you grew up on Tatooine. The Pyke Syndicate has taken control of it and is subjugating the entire population. Perhaps you could come home and help run them off?"

I swear to God if this doesn't happen now I am holding you personally responsible for my disappointment.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The fact that the X-Wing pilot was played by Luke's double makes me think we do see Luke this season.
It's great seeing them give that guy another role. Loved Mark Hamill's reaction to him on the documentary for the "The Rescue" as well.
The Porkchop Express
Red Five said:

helloimustbegoing said:

I swear to God if this doesn't happen now I am holding you personally responsible for my disappointment.
Pyke Syndicate army marching on Jabba's palace, the main gate opens up.

Lineup:
Black Krrsantan
Fennec Shan
Mando
Luke Skywalker
Boba riding his Rancor

twilly
AG
Why do I get the strange feeling that the Mando-Grogu reunion doesn't actually happen in this series, but in Mando Season 3. To totally subvert and overshadow the lead character for the last 1/4 a series seems extreme.
maroon barchetta
Red Five said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Stay on target!
Madmarttigan
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Red Five said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Lineup:
Black Krrsantan
Fennec Shan
Mando
Luke Skywalker
Boba riding his Rancor

In
ChipFTAC01
AG
And just as the heroes are starting to get overwhelmed Chrewie rawrs over the horizon in the Millennium Falcon.
Flashdiaz
AG
twilly said:

Why do I get the strange feeling that the Mando-Grogu reunion doesn't actually happen in this series, but in Mando Season 3. To totally subvert and overshadow the lead character for the last 1/4 a series seems extreme.
yeah i'm a bit surprised Mando got the longest episode and Fett wasn't in it. Cap it off with Mando saying he has to visit his little friend which means more airtime for Mando... not that i'm complaining.

and Luke with Boba would be awkward, his fight with Luke is what caused him to go into the Sarlaac after all.
Capitol Ag
AG
I am confused why some think that this was a filler episode. No, Boba wasn't in it. But they did this with The Mandalorian as well, where one episode would go into either a past event or an even ongoing elsewhere that would eventually tie back into the current storyline. Honestly, the only time this bothers me is if you left a cliffhanger and turn on the show only to be left waiting the next few weeks for a conclusion to where they left off. GOT did that a few times iirc. Hell, didn't South Park make fun of this by having what was supposed to be a conclusion episode go purposefully in a different direction? Here, while they did help set up Mando3, there are probably a lot of details setting up what is coming and there wasn't a real cliff hanger. Yes, it says quite a bit that it was the "best" episode of BOBF and he wasn't in it but the show HAS been good so far and worthy of me watching. I do not think the writers added this episode b/c they thought the show was flat and needed a "Mando" boost but just know that A. Mando IS the best Star Wars character currently. I mean, I know so many adults who I never would think are Star Wars or fantasy fans have Baby Yoda shirts, dolls on their desks etc. Even if BOBF were absolutely killing it, MCU style, I think they would have had this episode b/c there are probably a lot of Mando/Grogu fans watching b/c of Mando and they felt that they could throw them a bone. Genius as it will keep them happy and keep everyone watching, or coming back if all they wanted was "more Mando and Grogu".

As for the issues many have with BOBF, I understand it. Just do it chronologically and all would have been fine. But I still am extremely invested. It's SW. And I actually like what they have done regarding character development with Boba and Fennic. JMO....
DannyDuberstein
AG
Chrono would have helped. Vespa kids are ridiculous. And I think the fundamental lingering issue may be that I'm not impressed with the actor. So stiff and not really anything to engage my interest. Mando is being played somewhat that way too but there is a purpose to it, while this is doubling down sans helmet and it just isn't working for me. Trying to stick with the trilogy actor has painted them into a corner

But i'm still enjoying the series
PatAg
AG
PatAg
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Chrono would have helped. Vespa kids are kind of ridiculous. And I think the fundamental lingering issue may be that I'm not impressed with the actor. So stiff and not really anything to engage my interest.

Bingo, he also then limits the quality of action you can have in the show. Just some baffling story telling decisions being made on the show.
Saxsoon
AG
I mean episode 2 was great. I think the "bad" episodes are a matter of RR.
fig96
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Chrono would have helped. Vespa kids are ridiculous. And I think the fundamental lingering issue may be that I'm not impressed with the actor. So stiff and not really anything to engage my interest. Mando is being played somewhat that way too but there is a purpose to it, while this is doubling down sans helmet and it just isn't working for me. Trying to stick with the trilogy actor has painted them into a corner

Keeping him in the helmet would have solved a lot of their issues, we've lost the mystique.

But even in his appearance in Mandalorian without the helmet it totally worked, we just need to get back to him being a total badass and have less conversations about needing respect.
Decay
AG
Well at least we're past the part where he isn't getting respect. The rest of the series should be about how he earns it which will be nice.
powerbelly
AG
I don't understand how child boba fett is able to run a gang of underworld bounty hunters seeking revenge on a jedi then formed a bounty hunting syndicate out of tattoine as a teen, but the adult doesn't understand how to recruit more than a vespa gang for security.
maroon barchetta
powerbelly said:

I don't understand how child boba fett is able to run a gang of underworld bounty hunters seeking revenge on a jedi then formed a bounty hunting syndicate out of tattoine as a teen, but the adult doesn't understand how to recruit more than a vespa gang for security.

You get partially digested in a Sarlaac Pit and see if you are working at full capacity!
Decay
AG
powerbelly said:

It's like how you have a few kids and suddenly you wonder why you can't get simple stuff done anymore because you spend all your time cleaning up toys or changing a diaper or dropping off at school or whatever and the time you used to spend on hobbies is now sleep time.

Except instead of needy kids you have to soak in a bacta tank all the time.
The Collective
AG
powerbelly said:

The dude who got accidentally owned by blind Han?
OnlyForNow
AG
Capitol Ag said:

I am confused why some think that this was a filler episode. No, Boba wasn't in it. But they did this with The Mandalorian as well, where one episode would go into either a past event or an even ongoing elsewhere that would eventually tie back into the current storyline. Honestly, the only time this bothers me is if you left a cliffhanger and turn on the show only to be left waiting the next few weeks for a conclusion to where they left off. GOT did that a few times iirc. Hell, didn't South Park make fun of this by having what was supposed to be a conclusion episode go purposefully in a different direction? Here, while they did help set up Mando3, there are probably a lot of details setting up what is coming and there wasn't a real cliff hanger. Yes, it says quite a bit that it was the "best" episode of BOBF and he wasn't in it but the show HAS been good so far and worthy of me watching. I do not think the writers added this episode b/c they thought the show was flat and needed a "Mando" boost but just know that A. Mando IS the best Star Wars character currently. I mean, I know so many adults who I never would think are Star Wars or fantasy fans have Baby Yoda shirts, dolls on their desks etc. Even if BOBF were absolutely killing it, MCU style, I think they would have had this episode b/c there are probably a lot of Mando/Grogu fans watching b/c of Mando and they felt that they could throw them a bone. Genius as it will keep them happy and keep everyone watching, or coming back if all they wanted was "more Mando and Grogu".

As for the issues many have with BOBF, I understand it. Just do it chronologically and all would have been fine. But I still am extremely invested. It's SW. And I actually like what they have done regarding character development with Boba and Fennic. JMO....
Ehhh... poor take IMO

This would have been like having the Mando episode before the Krayt Dragon episode be 100% about Cobb Vanth and not even feature the Mando; but have the mechanic lady in it at the very end.

I liked the episode, but this was supposed to be a Book of Boba Fett episode and not a Mando episode.

If this was planned, well holy sheeet they lucked out, as people are kinda stale on BF and needed to get them back in. If not, they saw the writing on the wall and put this into place from wherever it was supposed to be originally. While not a season ending episode, this could have easily been 2nd half or end of S2 of Mando.
jokershady
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Red Five said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Lineup:
Black Krrsantan
Fennec Shan
Mando
Luke Skywalker
Boba riding his Rancor

damn you
fig96
AG
Quote:

If this was planned, well holy sheeet they lucked out, as people are kinda stale on BF and needed to get them back in. If not, they saw the writing on the wall and put this into place from wherever it was supposed to be originally.
Yeah, this was planned. They didn't randomly reshuffle/edit a Mando episode in the last two weeks.

Randomly dropping Mando onto Tatooine for no good reason would have felt forced and totally out of context. This ep gave us backstory on where Mando has been (which is relevant to both shows) and also gives motivation to his character moving forward while bringing him into the story in a reasonably organic way.
OnlyForNow
AG
I mean, we left Mando on the Imp ship right? Then they dropped off Moff with the Rep. took Dune back to Nevaro (outter rim), don't really know where that ring is in space, assume OR.

It wasn't really surprising he made it back to Tatooine
maroon barchetta
I did think it was nice that they brought Elysium into the Star Wars universe.
fig96
AG
But he comes back to Tatooine contemplating his purpose and path having lost the thing he's dedicated his life to.

That makes for far more compelling storytelling than "it's not surprising he ended up there".
OnlyForNow
AG
I think he wanted a ride and knew the mechanic was a better shot at helping him out than anyone on Nevaro.

But his covert was at Nevaro, which would have been a better "soul-searching" place for him.

Decay
AG
The biggest oddity is just that we had an episode of Mando in a different show.

It makes sense in a wider context but it's downright odd to do it here and now. The worst part is that it was the best episode of this show. Also the best episodes of either show featuring Boba were in The Mandolorian. So we're in some slog through a bunch of junk just to tease out a backstory for a character we like, in a show we don't like, for a future we probably will like, and just featured a character we totally love.

I'd totally believe they screened The Book Of Boba Fett, found the testers asleep, and pushed a rewrite through where they slammed the first episode of Mando into this series and will worry about reworking that show later.
CondensedFogAggie
When mando first appeared and promptly impaled some random Lannisters wrist into a table, I knew he was going places, but never to this degree. Awesome
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Red Five said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Lineup:
Black Krrsantan
Fennec Shan
Mando
Luke Skywalker
Boba riding his Rancor
Grogu on Chewie's shoulders

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.