*** SUCCESSION - Season 3 ***

85,546 Views | 853 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MooreTrucker
BowSowy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Every character on this show is irredeemable in one way or another
Proposition Joe
Yeah, you aren't "Team Tom" because Tom is such a great guy. You're "Team Tom" because he sucks less than the others.
TCTTS
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Ok, I just binged the entire series over the past couple of weeks and I'm now caught up. Absolutely love this show, one of the best, if not the THE best on tv right now.

That being said, I can't help but laugh at how many people are "Team Tom". The guy's an irredeemable d-bag and has been since Episode 1, Season 1. He only married Shiv in order to corporate climb, he's never been ethical (e.g. shredding the cruise papers), and the abuse he gets from the Roy family he just turns around and takes it out on his underlings. He's no worse than the Roy kids, but he's no better either. At least they "deserve" (in a sense) Logan's spoils as his offspring.

Tom's only claim to the Roy dynasty is being Shiv's ****hold, again, which he willingly does so he can corporate climb. Its been clear for a while his primary/only concern is his undeserved spot in the Waystar hierarchy. Remove him from being Shiv's husband and the dude would be lucky to be a shift manager at a Red Lobster. Shiv, Kendall, Roman, and Conner have all been crapped on and manipulated just as much as he has. So sorry, I don't view him as sympathetic or derserving.

Now, is he a funny character? Absolutely. His scenes with Greg crack me up 99% of the time. I love the twists in this show, including Tom betraying Shiv in the last eposode. But at this point the only thing I'm rooting for is Logan's downfall (and perhap's Kendall's growth, but man he's really burning up those chances at redemption).

I think you're missing one key part, though, which is that Tom truly does love Shiv. He's not using her *just* to climb the corporate latter. That's of course a big part of it, but he also, heartbreakingly, loves her. Or, at least, LOVED her, prior to the S3 finale. So, in that sense, he's more of a tragic character, who we feel the slightest bit of empathy for when Shiv treats him the way she does, because we know how much he loves/loved her.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Yeah, you aren't "Team Tom" because Tom is such a great guy. You're "Team Tom" because he sucks less than the others.

No kidding. Dude comes on here and writes a novel to admonish everyone else while completely missing the point himself. Beautiful.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Some Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Proposition Joe said:

No kidding. Dude comes on here and writes a novel to admonish everyone else while completely missing the point himself. Beautiful.

Relax, dude. I get it, I'm just not sure at this point Tom sucks any less than the others.

Plus, you can find a redeeming quality about every character, short of Logan maybe, if you try hard enough. Tom loved Shiv to some degree sure, but I'm not certain he ever loved her more than his ability to use her to climb up in life.
Proposition Joe
What's the redeemable quality about Shiv? The only thing it really ever could have been was that she "stayed above the fray" by staying out of the family business. Now at best it's that she doesn't think the candidate the Roy's are backing is good for the country.

You're missing the key aspect of why "Team Tom" exists -- it's because he is now diametrically opposed to the team that Shiv was on (and thinking she was leading).

Tom vs Kendall, maybe a tough choice. Tom vs Roman, maybe a tough choice.

Shiv is easily the most despicable character on the show outside of Logan, and the only one of the cast that has really been shown to have disdain for another major character outside-family-member's emotions. Kendall is just a ****up, but he loves his ex-wife and kids. Roman is a weirdo, but he's never really completely nuked another vulnerable character. Even Tom's vitriol towards Greg is countered by him helping him out.

There is almost nothing redeemable about Shiv. So it's quite easy to be on the "team" going against her.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Shiv has had a great character arc, from somewhat of a redeemable person to by far the worst person in the show.
The Milkman
AG
I'm posting here without looking at any posts, but could someone pull up the Season 1 and Season 2 threads for succession? I'm watching for the first time and would love to read through those
FL_Ag1998
AG
Proposition Joe said:

What's the redeemable quality about Shiv? The only thing it really ever could have been was that she "stayed above the fray" by staying out of the family business. Now at best it's that she doesn't think the candidate the Roy's are backing is good for the country.

You're missing the key aspect of why "Team Tom" exists -- it's because he is now diametrically opposed to the team that Shiv was on (and thinking she was leading).

Tom vs Kendall, maybe a tough choice. Tom vs Roman, maybe a tough choice.

Shiv is easily the most despicable character on the show outside of Logan, and the only one of the cast that has really been shown to have disdain for another major character outside-family-member's emotions. Kendall is just a ****up, but he loves his ex-wife and kids. Roman is a weirdo, but he's never really completely nuked another vulnerable character. Even Tom's vitriol towards Greg is countered by him helping him out.

There is almost nothing redeemable about Shiv. So it's quite easy to be on the "team" going against her.

Redeemable is the wrong word, my fault. Sympathetic is a better choice I think. But she's used up any sympathy I once had for her. And Ok, I get the simple dynamic of Team Tom vs Team Shiv in a vacuum...that makes it tough to choose but yeah, I can't see myself rooting for team Shiv. Not because I like Tom, but because I dislike Shiv more.

But in the big picture, I'm just Team Anti-Logan. So if Shiv is on the team taking him down and Tom's on Team-Logan....sorry, gotta go with Shiv's team.

And agreed, Shiv went from being the one sibling I thought I could root for to being the one I root against the most.
TCTTS
AG
The Milkman said:

I'm posting here without looking at any posts, but could someone pull up the Season 1 and Season 2 threads for succession? I'm watching for the first time and would love to read through those

We kept the same thread for seasons one and two for some reason...

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2954110

So funny to go back and read page one.
GreasenUSA
AG
The Milkman said:

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2954110/1

I believe this might cover both seasons.

Edit: Oops, got beat.
BowSowy
AG
Tom is also one of the only characters who has made (or at least agreed to) a completely selfless sacrifice for another character on the show, when he agreed to take the fall for Greg.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2954110/replies/51911455

This post aged like milk.
JYDog90
AG
I just finished Season 3. I hated Tom ever since the beginning until 3 minutes left in the finale.

Ironic that Shiv tells Roman that he can't trust their dad, all the while Shiv is completely untrustable.

I thought Roman's decision to stick with his bro and sis represented the first time one of them decided to do something against their own best interests.
Formerly Willy Wonka
JYDog90
AG
BowSowy said:

Every character on this show is irredeemable in one way or another
Ironically, Willa may be the most likable, redeemable character on the show.

Formerly Willy Wonka
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Succession subreddit is currently voting for its favorite character and it's come down to Kendall vs Tom in the final.

https://reddit.com/r/SuccessionTV/comments/runc48/kendall_vs_tom_vote_for_your_least_favorite/

Roman and Greg were third and fourth.
GreasenUSA
AG
That link took me to the least favorite character voting.

I'm abstaining because I'm a fan of both Kendall and Tom.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You vote out someone in each round so as to eliminate one character per round.

They should've just made it vote for your favorite in the championship cause it can be confusing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Tom wins.
jackie childs
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Tom wins.
recency bias
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just made SAG history with 3 actors nominated in one category. (Cox, Strong, Culkin)

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2022/succession-record-set-2022-sag-awards/
LawHall88
AG
TCTTS
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
"...too old, too tired, and too talented for any of that *****"

PUT THIS ON MY TOMBSTONE.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Quote:

DEADLINE: Put yourself in a vulnerable position?

COX: No, no. Listen, I'm too old, too tired and too talented for any of that *****
jackie childs
well, i guess Strong or Culkin will win because it's pretty f'n obvious that Cox isn't actually acting to play Logan.

just savage stuff
ac04
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So good.
Four Seasons Landscaping
Rewatching.

Shivs weight gain is unrealistic considering the timeline of the show.
CC09LawAg
I lost it at cousin Greg
JYDog90
AG
Tom, Kendall, and Greg are the best
Formerly Willy Wonka
Teddy Perkins
AG
I can't unsee it.
Max Power
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
dc509
AG
Season 4 Prediction time.

I think the kids are mostly hosed. By hosed I mean they'll all come away billionaires, and life will remain indescribably grand.

I think Logan dies and Marcia finally makes her move. She was formally installed in the family trust, and will receive an extra vote upon Logan's death. There's no way they put that little nugget out there if it won't matter.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.