*** SUCCESSION - Season 3 ***

85,515 Views | 853 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MooreTrucker
mazzag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You mean The Godfather? When Logan hugs Tom as seen from Shiv's POV it reminded me of the end when Kay sees Michael being "honored" as The Godfather but I think Logan is honoring Tom.

Sorry for the run on sentence but that was an awesome scene.
Four Seasons Landscaping
That episode was "hello Dexter Morgan" level peak TV.

Almost want to stop watching because there's only one direction to go.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Tom Wambsgans this season...

jackie childs
geez, that was just masterfully well done.

i was tense and nervous almost the entire episode, which is pretty remarkable considering the stakes aren't really life and death...this isn't breaking bad, sopranos or game of thrones where a beloved character can be killed out of nowhere.

the kids getting pissed off and just marching off to confront and threaten logan instead of actually securing their mom's support just shows how unprepared they are to ever dethrone logan.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

the kids getting pissed off and just marching off to confront and threaten logan instead of actually securing their mom's support just shows how unprepared they are to ever dethrone logan.
To be fair, they had zero inclination their mom would turn against them like that.

Granted, they had been teeing it up with Shiv and Roman's concerns about the wedding, but they did a great job of making it seem like that might have been unfounded.

Chekhov's divorce agreement...
Max Power
AG
I was specifically referring to Logan calling out all his kids collectively as Fredo, plotting against him. But there are parallels to both parts for sure.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not entirely sure what this means...but interesting.

Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Proposition Joe said:

I feel like some of you constantly look for curveballs and twists when the show telegraphs what is going to happen.

It was made pretty clear when Tom was talking with Greg about a deal with the devil that the kids were going to be walking into an ambush.

It was previously prepped by how both the kids "consoled" Kendall. Roman, even in his quirky off-color joke making way, was trying to make his brother feel better by giving him a hard time. What did Shiv do? She was still taking calls from Laird and hovering because she didn't know how to do the empathy thing. I think at most all we saw her do was awkwardly put her hand down on Kendall's shoulder. Not that we really needed it, but the writers wanted one more opportunity to make it OK for us to be happy about Tom's upcoming betrayal.

I've said this for awhile now, back to the donuts and "WhO BoUgHt tHe SpEaKeRs?!?".
Ervin Burrell
AG
Great episode. Can we get into the weeds on how exactly their mother screwed them? Found this on Reddit:

Quote:

I can sort of guess as to what this involved.
The agreement/settlement was probably between Logan and Caroline, where Caroline receives X shares in the holding company. The children also received X shares each as consideration flowing from the agreement, but they were not party to the agreement. Like you probably had already guessed, these shares are fully vested interests (or more likely held in trust for tax purposes) and can't be changed after the fact unless the kids themselves actually agrees.
However, ancillary to the settlement is probably an additional clause binding Logan to not relinquish ownership/control of the holding company without supermajority assent. However, the children are not party to this agreement (they only receive consideration from it). So as long as parties to the agreement - Logan and Caroline - both agree to remove this ancillary clause that prevents Logan from relinquishing ownership, the clause can be struck.
Also, we can assume Peter got something too as he stated he was happy on the call?
Proposition Joe
I would assume the only reason they've really been pushing Peter on us at all is to setup a need for the enamored mother to be willing to re-negotiate the settlement in order to make Peter happy.
Proposition Joe
Do we think it's maybe Connor's birth mother pulling all the strings?

Is it possible the family of the dead waiter sent the (likely) poisoned donuts?

I was thinking the other day maybe GoJo acquired Dust (S1) and Angela is looking for revenge over Kendall and plans to take over Waystar and spread nasty rumors about him like he did to her?
Teddy Perkins
AG
What a solid season. Team Tom!

dc509
AG
That was my favorite episode of the entire series. I don't know how it will end up for him, but Tom is in better position with Logan than any of the kids have ever been. He's a killer, and Logan respects killers. Not some wannabe killer like Kendall turned out to be. His target is already dead. They were dead before they got there. Tom and Sporus are going to have an interesting 4th season.

Whatever happens just remember what Logan said. "I ****ing win!" That's all you need to remember.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To me the best acting moment in an episode chock full of them.

"Why?"

Teddy Perkins
AG
dc509 said:

That was my favorite episode of the entire series. I don't know how it will end up for him, but Tom is in better position with Logan than any of the kids have ever been. He's a killer, and Logan respects killers. Not some wannabe killer like Kendall turned out to be. His target is already dead. They were dead before they got there. Tom and Sporus are going to have an interesting 4th season.

Whatever happens just remember what Logan said. "I ****ing win!" That's all you need to remember.

Max Power
AG
Roman's weak banter with Logan at the end was so good.

Roman: Please don't do this. (sounding like a kid whose parents are taking away his car)

Also, when he answered Logan with "for love?" I was getting heavy Dale vibes.

Teddy Perkins
AG
dc509
AG
The kids really were all morons the whole time.
YNWA_AG
AG
jackie childs
Ervin Burrell said:

Great episode. Can we get into the weeds on how exactly their mother screwed them? Found this on Reddit:

Quote:

I can sort of guess as to what this involved.
The agreement/settlement was probably between Logan and Caroline, where Caroline receives X shares in the holding company. The children also received X shares each as consideration flowing from the agreement, but they were not party to the agreement. Like you probably had already guessed, these shares are fully vested interests (or more likely held in trust for tax purposes) and can't be changed after the fact unless the kids themselves actually agrees.
However, ancillary to the settlement is probably an additional clause binding Logan to not relinquish ownership/control of the holding company without supermajority assent. However, the children are not party to this agreement (they only receive consideration from it). So as long as parties to the agreement - Logan and Caroline - both agree to remove this ancillary clause that prevents Logan from relinquishing ownership, the clause can be struck.
Also, we can assume Peter got something too as he stated he was happy on the call?
i have spent too much time this morning looking into this as well. pretty fascinating how much people have been able to put together online, but after all that i've looked at, here's what i've seen:

the kids' interests are definitely in a trust. we saw that on the term sheet handed to kendall.

rather than an agreement, they referenced the supermajority was in the holding company bylaws. instead of actually amending the bylaws to remove the requirement, i'm wondering if caroline either agreed to support and vote with logan or if she just sold him enough shares that he held the supermajority.

doing some rough math, it seems ken owns about 2.5%. assuming the kids are all situated the same, that'd be 10% collectively.

we also know the family owns 36%. adding caroline's 3% to the kids would mean logan holds/controls 23%, which is just under a 2/3 supermajority of the family's share.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

What a solid season. Team Tom!

Leggo My Elko
AG
If I have one nit-pick of the episode it's that all Tom did was give Logan a few hours a heads-up on an issue Logan would have resolved with or without the heads-up. Did it smooth out a road bump for Logan? Sure, but Logan would have done that regardless.

That said, it's the tiniest of nit-picks and I love Tom's betrayal. In mergers & acquisitions, a lot of work has to happen in a short amount of time to have the deal go down, so the few-hour heads-up could be argued as very important.

My question and I guess this is fodder for season 4, is how does Tom's betrayal actually place him at the top executive level of the new GoJo?

Cannot wait to see what: "I might need you as my attack dog, like a Greg-weiler" will look like in season 4.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Golden Globe noms --

Drama Series
Drama Actor (Cox, Strong)
Supporting Actor (Culkin)
Supporting Actress (Snook)

Unfortunate there's no Matthew Macfadyen, but Culkin I think had a better overall season anyway and would love to see him and Snook win.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This was kind of my immediate confusion after the episode. I don't know if that phone call actually made that big a difference and I don't think it had anything to do with the actual outcome.

But that said, I think it's more of a symbolic betrayal, and it was awesome.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, that post just made me realize...

How hilarious would it be if Greg actually ends up with that countess or whatever, and Tom's partnership with Greg is how he holds on to power and relevance?

How the turntables.
Harry Stone
AG
I think the most important line in the entire episode was when Tom asked Shiv about what his position would be if/when the kids took over and pushed out Logan. Shiv couldn't give him a straight answer and IMO, no matter all the **** Shiv put Tom through, that was the final straw. I believe all Tom wants is to make it to the top, and whoever gives him that chance is who he was going to choose. Had Shiv told him he'd be COO or something, the outcome may have been different.

But now setting up for season 4, what really interests me are the sides now. You have the kids vs. the 3 guys that were supposed to go to jail in Logan, Tom and Greg. The only prayer the kids have is finding dirt on the other 3 and it's interesting that Kendall mentioned he was supposed to talk with a new lawyer, who I'm guessing now will be talking to all 3 kids.
rcb
AG
Where was the compound Logan was set up in? How far away from the wedding? Just curious how long was that van ride for the 3 kids? If more than a few hours, why no helicopter ride?
Max Power
AG
Things from that episode just keep coming back to me.

During the service Greg sitting next to the Countess, the camera pans left, boom there's Comfry. I just giggled hysterically, that's just textbook rom-com stuff.

Later in the episode when Tom takes Greg and sits him down I'm thinking this is when Tom just spills his guts about being in a loveless marriage because he climbed the dating tree and landed an heiress to a media empire. This is going to be when Tom tells Greg he made a mistake, and he can't really escape it. He should be telling him Comfry is out of his league, but to see where it goes, does he like her, how much, etc. Find out if he has any feelings and what to do. Instead he asks if he's ready for his deal with the devil. This is a huge episode for Greg's arc, and I love how it played out for him.

For as much as I loved this season I do have one massive criticism.

Kerry's haircut. Those bangs, Jesus. So awful it was distracting every single scene she was in. This is supposed to be someone who's so good looking it that a billionaire is after her. If she's back next season I pray there's a better haircut lined up for her.
TCTTS
AG
We haven't even touched on the plot point that Logan may very well be trying to have another kid. I never once even consider that, but it's the greatest F-you ever to his current kids. It was the thing that finally sent them over the edge, and just so brilliantly introduced.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This seemed dumb to me. He'd be long dead by the time the kid graduated college, much less was old enough to start grooming to take over.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Yeah but it still dilutes their power. It may even dilute their actual shares in the company, because it could be structured to be split evenly between his children. Clearly its a threat of some sort because it caused them all to bristle (besides Connor, who laughed).
Ervin Burrell
AG
Ok, I'm just going to ask it and it might be a dumb question. Does Shiv have any idea Tom f'd her and her siblings? Logan tapping Tom on the shoulder was in her eyesight (I think?). But I don't think she would have let Tom touch her if she knew.
TCTTS
AG
Shiv knows. You can see it on her face. But in the moment, she can't let Kendall and Roman know it was her who f/cked up/was betrayed. At least that's how I read it.
Proposition Joe
Yes she knows. Shiv is forever calculating. It benefits her more strategy-wise to act like she doesn't know and/or not make any kind of move until she knows for sure.
TCTTS
AG
veryfuller said:

Yeah but it still dilutes their power. It may even dilute their actual shares in the company, because it could be structured to be split evenly between his children. Clearly its a threat of some sort because it caused them all to bristle (besides Connor, who laughed).

Exactly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.