*** SUCCESSION - Season 3 ***

85,535 Views | 853 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MooreTrucker
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I guess there was one mention last season when Logan asked if Sandy looked feeble and heard it could be syphilis. At which point Tom said you don't hear much about syphilis these days, making it the MySpace of STD's
Proposition Joe
It certainly changes the story a bit as we had Brody's character insecure about the future under Logan because of his frailty... But he then seems to be OK backing Sandy? Logan looks 100x more healthy than Sandy.

I guess they needed something to kind of push along the two daughters.
TCTTS
AG
That's a good point.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The thing I'm trying to figure out is where things go from here.

With the takeover seemingly taken care of and the access with the President cut off, does focus shift to the FBI investigation? And what's Greg's play now?

It's odd because the takeover and shareholder meeting has been the looming cloud since the end of season 1, so it'll be interesting to see what will be the main thing driving the plot going forward.

It would also seem Adrien Brody's character is done. But that can't be it for him right?

Of course the deal could always fall through. I haven't watched any of the midseason trailers so I'm happy to be in the dark

- Yeah, there's still the FBI investigation, which seems even more pertinent now, without POTUS' help.

- Kendall is still trying to take down Logan/take over the company.

- While Adrian Brody might be done, Alexander Skarsgard is set to appear as another potential investor of some sort.

- And I know you're not watching the episode previews but next week looks to begin the Roy family search for the next POTUS, basically putting all their weight behind the candidate of their choice.

Seeing as this season is nine episodes, we only have four left. Critics have seen the next two (don't worry, I haven't seen any leaks or hints in that regard), but HBO has held back the final two/is keeping them under wraps. In interviews, however, the cast keeps touting the final two episodes as some kind of massive showdown where all three seasons of storylines apparently come to a head. So it sounds like the next two episodes will set the table for whatever the final, two-hour showdown is.
BowSowy
AG
Proposition Joe said:

It certainly changes the story a bit as we had Brody's character insecure about the future under Logan because of his frailty... But he then seems to be OK backing Sandy? Logan looks 100x more healthy than Sandy.

I thought it was pretty clear that his character was already in the Sandy/Stewie pocket and was just looking to humiliate the Roys, particularly Logan. That's been Sandy's motivation.

Moving the location of the meetup, lying about how it was because of his sick daughter who was quickly seen playing in the pool, taking an old man on that walk, constantly asking if Logan needed a ride, leading them through an unending trail. Brody's character knew what he was doing, and I don't think his opinion would've changed if he knew Sandy was basically a vegetable.
dc509
AG
BowSowy said:

Proposition Joe said:

I thought it was pretty clear that his character was already in the Sandy/Stewie pocket and was just looking to humiliate the Roys, particularly Logan. That's been Sandy's motivation.

Moving the location of the meetup, lying about how it was because of his sick daughter who was quickly seen playing in the pool, taking an old man on that walk, constantly asking if Logan needed a ride, leading them through an unending trail. Brody's character knew what he was doing, and I don't think his opinion would've changed if he knew Sandy was basically a vegetable.
I don't think it was solely to humiliate them on Josh's part. I think that he was 99% sure that he was siding with Sandy and Stewy, but wanted to at least hear what the Roy's had to say. I don't think he gives a **** about Kendall (I believe it was Frank who made that point that Josh doesn't like Kendall.) but he wanted to take the measure of Logan. Being an ass was a bonus because, he too, is a ****bag.
JDUB08AG
AG
Karl is subtly one of my favorite characters and I'm not exactly sure why, but his mannerisms crack me the hell up
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"Should we get some sandwiches?"

But the best Karl line in the series:

"Look, full disclosure, I'm currently having a panic attack."
jackie childs
DannyDuberstein said:

I guess there was one mention last season when Logan asked if Sandy looked feeble and heard it could be syphilis. At which point Tom said you don't hear much about syphilis these days, making it the MySpace of STD's
i may have the episodes mixed up, but i think the first mention we hear is in the tern haven episode and it's rhea that says it. but perhaps she got it from logan.

what's crazy is that if Sandy and Stewy really wanted Logan out, all Stewy had to do was vote with Kendall in the no-confidence vote. it was a 4-4 tie with Stewy, Gerri and Lawrence abstaining. think about how much money it has cost everybody because Stewy didn't have the stones to vote against logan then.

which kinda makes it BS that stewy gives kendall crap for backing out of the takeover later.
FancyKetchup14
AG
"You're going to sue Greenpeace? I like your style, Greg. Who are you going after next? Save the Children?"

Tom and Greg continue to be the best part of this show.
dc509
AG
jackie childs said:

DannyDuberstein said:

i may have the episodes mixed up, but i think the first mention we hear is in the tern haven episode and it's rhea that says it. but perhaps she got it from logan.

what's crazy is that if Sandy and Stewy really wanted Logan out, all Stewy had to do was vote with Kendall in the no-confidence vote. it was a 4-4 tie with Stewy, Gerri and Lawrence abstaining. think about how much money it has cost everybody because Stewy didn't have the stones to vote against logan then.

which kinda makes it BS that stewy gives kendall crap for backing out of the takeover later.
I don't think Stewy cares who the CEO is. He obviously doesn't support Kendall, but but he would screw Sandy just as quickly. He warned Kendall not to let it go to a vote in Sunday's episode. All consider how something advances your personal position. That might as well be the tagline for the show.
InternetFan02
AG
This episode has to be one of my all time favorites and had an awesome Veep feel to it with all the background chaos occurring during a live event

"It's the President"
"On the phone live right now?!?"

Logan is Selena
Shiv is Amy
Tom is Gary
Connor is Richard Splett
Frank and Karl are Ben and Kent
Kendall is Dan Egan
Roman is Mike McLintock
Stewie is Roger Furlong
Greg is Jonah (too obvious?)
Gramps is Jonah's crazy over-cussing uncle
jackie childs
Did you guys remember Gerri asking Roman about a "face tattoo" situation in season 2? He, of course, denied it
dc509
AG
Do we think there's any chance that it's Frank who is secretly cooperating with the DOJ? Logan has said several times that he isn't to be trusted, and if you watch the teaser for this coming Sunday Kendall's negotiations with DOJ are clearly not going the way he anticipated they would. The sum of those two things make me wonder if Frank is the rat. Someone will be, and Tom feels to obvious at this point.
Proposition Joe
For the most part this show doesnt hide whay it's characters are doing.
dc509
AG
That's true.
Four Seasons Landscaping
(except that time they made it look like it was Ken who setup the speakers even though it was actually Logan)
Proposition Joe
I mean, there's been some "read between the lines" type things (like when Kendall called the Vaulter guy and told him not to write the hit piece that he obviously wanted him to write), but so far I don't think we've really seen anything out of left field.
dc509
AG
Would it be out of left field though? Frank is repeatedly called unreliable and they're under federal investigation. Someone is going to cooperate.
Proposition Joe
dc509 said:

Would it be out of left field though? Frank is repeatedly called unreliable and they're under federal investigation. Someone is going to cooperate.

Yeah but my point is I think if they do cooperate we're going to actually see it take place -- it won't be a "OMG he's been cooperating all this time!".

This just isn't a "big reveal" type show.
20ag07
I've seen every episiode of what's considered prestige TV.

That episode is the exceptional as it gets.

Wayyyy better than dragons.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Again, why are people looking to make this show what it is not? This is a comedy show at its core. It's not some Mare of Eastwood mystery show whodunit. At all.
Engine10
AG
"I guess I'm a climate denier"

Poor Siobhan. Consistently outflanked and every Hail Mary she throws gets intercepted
Proposition Joe
Are we assuming Logan even entertaining the thought of Connor was just him trying to get him back under the family umbrella a bit? Seems like there's no way in hell the family would think running one of their own would be a good idea.

Tom is simply stealing the spotlight on this show.

And man, Kendall... So much like his father in that he never develops a true relationship and just uses everyone as pawns -- except his father has all the power so he is able to do that (for now). When Kendall does it, it just alienates people that might have actually helped him. Last week it was Greg, this week he actually dangles a carrot that Tom might actually consider -- then takes his picture as leverage making Tom know damn well not to trust him on anything.
rynning
AG
Someone's loosened their icy grip on my innards

It's just like throwing so much cake batter at a brick wall

I don't want to donate my body to political science

I have of late decided not to tarry too much with hope

You win, Pinkie, you win
Sports-Ag
AG
Felt for Tom this episode. The show is slowly showing that maybe Shiv will leave as her dad continues not to listen to her.

Ken just keeps getting in his own way. Not listening and then firing his lawyer. This episode really made sure to show the audience that Logan has something going on with his personal assistant.

Next week episode looks fun for Ken's 40th birthday.
TCTTS
AG
For me, Tom and Greg at the diner was one of the most poignant scenes of the entire series. So funny yet genuinely moving at the same time. In tone, the total opposite of and the yin to the yang of their first meal together in season one where Tom shows Greg "how to be rich" and their TV relationship is born (the moment I truly fell in love with this show).

Plot-wise, it also feels like the show kicked into a whole new gear this week. The stakes somehow feel higher than ever, while certain allegiances are now on a razor's edge.

Really, the last two episodes have been all-timers for me. Hopefully this trend continues, and it looks like it certainly could next week…
Max Power
AG
Another straight up banger of an episode. This one was crying out for an immediate rewatch, which I'll try to get knocked out in the next couple of days. Logan was going hard, really cranking it up to have the guys running for President tap dance for him. The entire family (sans Kendall) discussing who's going to be President and totally stomping on Shiv in the process. Really strong Roman episode, which makes me wonder when the other shoe is going to drop for him, no one goes up without coming down hard on this show.

I'm fascinated by the two scenes in the diner with Tom, first with Greg, then with Kendall. Tom has accepted his fate when talking with Greg but starts to turn the wheels during his conversation with Kendall. Feels like Tom is about to see how well he can play the game.

Kendall really is just so oblivious at who and what he is that the upcoming birthday party is a recipe for disaster, it feels like there's a freight train coming.
Proposition Joe
"I just feel because of my physical length, I could be a target for all kinds of misadventures"
Teddy Perkins
AG
LawHall88
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

"I saw you flying on the wings of white power. Did it feel good as the fascists hoisted you aloft, like the Stanley Cup?"
dc509
AG
The episode is titled "Too Much Birthday." Oh this is going to be a train wreck, and I am here for it. The last three episodes are shaping up to be awesome.
Max Power
AG
I'm pre-emptively posting this gif in anticipation of what's coming.

TCTTS
AG
GreasenUSA
AG
These last 2 episodes... feels like the show has Best Drama Emmy in the bag, even with 3 left to air.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.