*** SUCCESSION - Season 3 ***

85,574 Views | 853 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MooreTrucker
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gerri is a stone cold killer *****.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
mazzag
AG
No it's not. It's just fillers.
BowSowy
AG
mazzag said:

BowSowy said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

The writers threw out a lot of red herrings for us this season.

Greg and his grandpa's lawyer friend
Pierce acquisition mentioned again
DOJ stuff
Kendall's podcast thing
Ken in the pool

And I'm sure a ton of others. There was a million directions the finale could've gone.
I actually think the DOJ fine played a large part in Logan finally deciding to sell. I think that was the final straw that broke the back of Waystar acquiring GoJo.

GoJo is acquiring waystar.
Yes, I'm aware. But it was looking like Waystar was going to acquire GoJo up until this episode (or at least be a 50/50 merger). The first scene had Logan receive a call that made him scramble Gerri. Turns out, DOJ was going to levy a historic fine on Waystar. After that, Logan meets with the GoJo guy. In their talks, the fine was mentioned and that was the meeting where Logan decided to sell.

Going further, when they had their little celebratory champagne meeting where Tom learned no one was going to jail, Logan mentioned that it would be just a number. He didn't seem concerned about the number. But then he gets the call with the number and the next thing we see, he's agreeing to sell.
TCTTS
AG
mazzag said:

You seem to be having a *very* personal reaction to this series/finale. Like, maybe a little too personal. It's just a show.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Incredible.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
mazzag said:

Name a better show.
mazzag
AG
How's your job going? Mines just fine.
TCTTS
mazzag
AG
I'm locked into the Kaminsky method. Sorry...
BowSowy
AG
What the heck is going on in here lol.
TCTTS
AG
No clue...
rynning
AG
I got an eye-rolling Game-of-Thrones-Finale feeling when they were in the car deciding to come together ("It'll be fun..."), but the ending fixed that for me!
k20dub
AG
What a finale!

How about the double irony of them playing monopoly? Waystar has a monopoly on media and then at the end their company gets bought out like you buy properties in Monopoly.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I honestly loved that moment.

In GoT terms it felt like when Arya and Sansa finally reunited.
TCTTS
AG
There was about 30 seconds there where it felt like they were finally going to take Logan down, and he started doing that thing certain villains do when they know it's over, but can't accept it, where they defiantly start throwing a fit, desperately mock the hero, and then tell their previously loyal henchman to come along, only to have said henchmen finally defy their master. I feel like we've seen that scene dozens of times, and they hit every beat here - yet I was still riveted by it - but then Succession does what it does best and threw one last curveball and had Logan still get the better of them. It's like they purposely leaned into that trope, but then were like "Nope!" Just so masterful done, and so damn good.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Like in the opening scene where Logan is reading that book to Kendall's kid, and I forget the exact quotes but it involved death. They totally tried to fake us out and I fell for it hook line and sinker.
TCTTS
AG
Totally.
Aggie09Derek
AG

Hahahaha big brother
Aggie09Derek
AG
FancyKetchup14
AG
The other night I had on The Bourne Supremacy while doing some work in the background and forgot Brian Cox was the antagonist in that movie. And although it's been a combined effort, it feels like he's taken Succession to what it is. Now it's to a point where I can't see him in anything else without immediately picturing Logan, much like I can't see James Gandolfini without thinking, "Hey that's Tony Soprano!"

His mocking of Shiv about the vote and then calling them all morons felt as if it was he was almost disappointed that his kids, even when they join forces, can't beat him yet.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I guess my other question with Tom is how can he possibly trust Logan to secure him any position once GoJo takes over?

Kinda worried for him that this may backfire for him before it's all said and done.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Honestly, I feel like most of Tom's motivation was more of a "F*** you" to Shiv than it was securing his position. But then that does leave Greg hanging in the wind, which will make for superb television.

"It's a long story, but Greenpeace is not a good company. Yeah, it's mainly one guy in Greenland eating penguins and stomping cigarette butts out into glaciers."
Aggie09Derek
AG

BowSowy
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I guess my other question with Tom is how can he possibly trust Logan to secure him any position once GoJo takes over?

Kinda worried for him that this may backfire for him before it's all said and done.
Tom offered to take the fall and go to jail for Logan. And then alerted him to the sibling coup. There's not a single major character in this show who's more in Logan's favor than Tom. No one knows how much they can trust Logan, but Tom has walked the walk for him.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
9 episodes ago, Tom was eating Logan's chicken. What a difference a season makes.
rcb
AG
Roman called the "eldest son" and "layered him in" at the same time Shiv called Tom. Connor has taken quite a beating from the 3. It wasn't his mom that just screwed the 3.
TCTTS
AG
Everything points to it being Tom. His arc, his motivations, his budding relationship with Logan, his wording to Greg, him showing up at the end, Logan thanking him, and especially the final shot. Even the filmmakers themselves all but confirmed it was Tom. Connor definitely took a beating this season, but he was on cloud nine once Willa said yes, and seemed over the whole blow up with his siblings. I seriously doubt he called "pops" as well. Sure, I guess it's a possibility, but thematically it would take away from Tom being *the* Judas.
Proposition Joe
I feel like some of you constantly look for curveballs and twists when the show telegraphs what is going to happen.

It was made pretty clear when Tom was talking with Greg about a deal with the devil that the kids were going to be walking into an ambush.

It was previously prepped by how both the kids "consoled" Kendall. Roman, even in his quirky off-color joke making way, was trying to make his brother feel better by giving him a hard time. What did Shiv do? She was still taking calls from Laird and hovering because she didn't know how to do the empathy thing. I think at most all we saw her do was awkwardly put her hand down on Kendall's shoulder. Not that we really needed it, but the writers wanted one more opportunity to make it OK for us to be happy about Tom's upcoming betrayal.
TCTTS
AG
In hindsight, the endgame was certainly telegraphed. And yes, the three siblings absolutely got what they deserved, which allowed us a certain sense of satisfaction. That said, they also finally found strength in each other, in their own, stunted ways, which I found legitimately emotional, despite the ultimate outcome. Similarly, we can definitely root for Tom finally standing up for himself and making his move, but also feel a sense of heartbreak and impending dread that he and Greg just made a deal with the devil.

That's what makes this show brilliant. I feel a sense of comeuppance, empathy, pride, devastation, and dread, for all of these characters, all at once. A combination I don't think I've ever felt, to this degree, for a cast of characters before. I just found the entire thing to be an absolute masterclass, on every level.
TCTTS
AG
Max Power
AG
After letting that digest overnight I'm comfortable saying that was both my favorite episode of this entire series and also one of my favorites of all time. It was Shakespeare, Godfather Part II, The Usual Suspects, the list goes on. How is this show 3 seasons deep and just hit the highest note it's ever been on? Just as I had gotten tired of the perpetual attempts to steal control they flip this whole thing on it's ear.

People comparing it to The Red Wedding from GOT chose the wrong episode to draw from, IMO. This felt a lot more like the season 7 finale, The Dragon and the Wolf. Except Sansa is Logan, Littlefinger is the siblings, and Arya is Tom. All their scheming is put to death, their time has run out. And I was almost as happy to be honest, I've never been on the side of any of these kids deserving to take over the company, it's Logan's, despite how anyone thinks of him, it's his, not theirs.

Good for Tom and Greg, I don't think I could have been happier with how that played out. I wish there was a post credits scene of Tom and Logan breaking this whole situation down, maybe we get that in season 4, episode 1.

The final vision of Shiv realizing what just happened will stick with me. I gotta try to watch that episode again tonight.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.