*** SUCCESSION - Season 3 ***

85,521 Views | 853 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MooreTrucker
Leggo My Elko
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Logan said, "I'll remember." That's going to matter.
I don't know that it will. Logan's word isn't worth anything.
Ervin Burrell
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Ervin Burrell said:

Did the wedding happen and they just didn't show it or is it the focus of the finale?

This was confusing but it seemed to happen offscreen. Once they were back in the NY office, I just assumed it happened
When did they make it back to NYC? Didn't the d pic happen in Milan?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Proposition Joe said:

It seemed kind like a forced way to get the characters together. Why would Logan attend his ex-wife's wedding when things are obviously still acrimonious?

Seemed like the groom wanted him there so he could ask him for a favor with the British government.
Four Seasons Landscaping
They've had several episodes where they contrive ways for the characters to be in the same place. That's just the weak point of the show, trying to force those great interactions between people who don't want to interact.

FFS, they hate each other with a passion and they're together more than I am with my siblings and parents.
Proposition Joe
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Proposition Joe said:

It seemed kind like a forced way to get the characters together. Why would Logan attend his ex-wife's wedding when things are obviously still acrimonious?

Seemed like the groom wanted him there so he could ask him for a favor with the British government.

So Logan is going to attend the second (third?) marriage of the ex-wife he doesn't care for because her soon to be shyster husband wants to ask a favor of him?

Yeah, that's not Logan.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
dc509
AG
TexjbA&M said:

Quote:

Logan said, "I'll remember." That's going to matter.
I don't know that it will. Logan's word isn't worth anything.
I know, but for whatever reason that one feels different to me. Don't get me wrong Logan will burn him if the need arises, but right now I think Tom has a card to play.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Yeah, I'm kinda hoping not, but I'm leaning to Kendall begin dead. Don't think this is the type of show that cocks that gun without pulling the trigger.
Proposition Joe
I just don't see it. If they are going to kill off Ken, we're going to *know* he's dead. Otherwise the writers have left a pretty big moment go to waste.

If he was going to die in the pool last episode, we would have been shocked by a body floating lifeless and obviously dead.

This is going to be an almost-drowned wake up call for Ken so that his character can pivot to a new way of thinking about life.. again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think/hope both Tom and Gerri end the season in a good place.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Here's a quote from a Ringer Article:

Quote:

Speaking with The Prestige TV Podcast at the beginning of the season, Logan Roy himself, Brian Cox, said:

[The show's] heading in a certain direction and the writers are allowing it to go into that direction. It does become pretty full-blooded in a way that it hasn't quite so far. As they say: You ain't seen anything yet. I can't tell you what the lastbecause I'm sworn not to tell you what the last two episodes are. But you will go: 'Oh, wow, this is astonishing.' And for me, it was very gratifying because I was able to bring home stuff that had been boiling up over three episodes.

If that's not enough to worry you, Gerri actress J. Smith-Cameron said in an interview just last week that the finale was going to be "very upsetting … a little shocking"
I think the opening of next week is Ken dead in the bottom of that pool.
Proposition Joe
If the next episode opens with Ken dead at the bottom of the pool the writers **** the bed.

The end of the penultimate episode doesn't hit hard because they leave it amibigious if he's dead.

To open up the finale with him being dead will result in a "oh, damn" instead of a "oh, [wow this is astonishing] *****"

I just don't see it. Writing has been too good thus far.
dc509
AG
Could be. I still have a hard time imagining Kendall Roy not being on the show, but maybe that's the jolt that is needed. Plus, his story doesn't seem like it has a lot of avenues left.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Here's a like to the article:

https://www.theringer.com/succession/2021/12/5/22816521/succession-season-3-episode-8-ending-kendall-drowning-dead

It makes a strong case that the show has been planting the seeds for a Kendall death for a while.

For me, If it's good writing or jumping the shark, I'm not sure. I've read that there is only going to be 1 or 2 more seasons. I don't think they can have Ken rise up to be smacked back down by Logan again. Something has to give or the narrative gets trapped in a circle.
Proposition Joe
I wouldn't be/bet against a Kendall death.

I just don't think they'd do the reveal in such a lackluster way. If he's dead at the beginning of the next episode, the it's like they went out of their way to rob the moment of any real impact.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I think if he's not dead at the end of that episode, he'll definitely be dead before the end of the season proper.
Max Power
AG
If they're building to something there are so many possibilities it's crazy. Of everyone in the show the two that have been on edge the most through the season have been Tom and Kendall.

I'm coming way out of left field here, but I think there's a chance that Tom's not long for this world. The way Shiv talked to him obviously didn't play. Tom and Kendall are the two singularly most unhappy characters on the show. I think Tom goes over the edge and kills himself, or hurts someone in the family. I could see him snapping and going after Roman, Kendall, Greg, Logan...even possibly Shiv given the way she makes him feel.

Maybe Logan's time is up for real and he dies leaving all this chaos in his wake. The name of the show is Succession, originally Logan was going to die at the end of season 1, but he's made it 3, maybe they turn the whole thing on its head and force the issue finally. Also, Logan's health has been part of the plot this season.

There could be something crazy business wise that goes down, but that feels less likely.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Proposition Joe said:

I wouldn't be/bet against a Kendall death.

I just don't think they'd do the reveal in such a lackluster way. If he's dead at the beginning of the next episode, the it's like they went out of their way to rob the moment of any real impact.
Totally agree with you. IF they are going to have him drown in that pool, why not have the scene play out 30 more seconds and actually show him die to end the episode with everyone absolutely devastated and shocked?

What if we are in for a Tony Soprano in a coma-type episode? Ken is in the ICU on life support and the finale is Logan having to pull the plug.
Proposition Joe
I could very much see Tom hitting his breaking point and getting physically violent with Shiv the next time they have one of their little "dirty truth" sessions.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What if Tom kills Shiv?
Proposition Joe
Or he's dead but doesn't realize he's dead and it's Bojack Horseman Live Show!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Just kill people off for 1-2 seasons. Tom kills Shiv. Gerri kills Roman. Willa kills Connor. Frank kills the CFO. Greg kills Logan. Greg sits on the iron throne at the end. Greg kills Waystar Royco by basically turning into a rehash of MySpace
jackie childs
great episode...lest there be any doubt as to whether these are good people, you had logan use his grandson as a food tester and caroline tell her own daughter she should've had a dog instead.

put me in the "hope ken doesn't die" camp. knowing what we know now, i hope ken has a near death experience and "wakes up". remember that ken made some comment about GoJo buying Waystar. well, now that GoJo is roughly the same size, what if ken joins up with Mattson and then uses his relationship with Naomi to set up GoJo buying Pierce?

that would give GoJo the content it needs and give Pierce the exposure for its news to rival Waystar. not to mention ken knows how badly logan has always wanted Pierce, so there's a little "f you" on top
dc509
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

What if Tom kills Shiv?
There have been at least two times this season that I thought Tom was going to kill someone. At one point I thought Greg was finished. If he breaks and murders someone it won't shock me.
WES2006AG
AG
I'm rooting for Kendall to live just to further the story. The writers have done a great job of making me root for all of these morons to die at one point or another. Making characters that are so unlikeable the center of a show can't be easy but they have done a fantastic job of it.
TCTTS
AG
Two things...

- Ken is NOT dead in the pool. Not only would that be the lamest death scene ever, there's a Vulture article from just before this season where the writer was on set for all the Italy stuff, and she describes multiple scene locations with Ken in them that we haven't yet seen.

- The wedding itself hasn't yet happened and is in the finale. They show multiple shots of it in next week's preview, and the same Vulture writer again describes wedding locations we haven't yet seen. The wedding festivities apparently began a couple days before the wedding itself, and all of the meetings this past episode happened over the course of those couple of days.

https://www.vulture.com/article/succession-season-three.html

TCTTS
AG
jackie childs said:

great episode...lest there be any doubt as to whether these are good people, you had logan use his grandson as a food tester and caroline tell her own daughter she should've had a dog instead.

put me in the "hope ken doesn't die" camp. knowing what we know now, i hope ken has a near death experience and "wakes up". remember that ken made some comment about GoJo buying Waystar. well, now that GoJo is roughly the same size, what if ken joins up with Mattson and then uses his relationship with Naomi to set up GoJo buying Pierce?

that would give GoJo the content it needs and give Pierce the exposure for its news to rival Waystar. not to mention ken knows how badly logan has always wanted Pierce, so there's a little "f you" on top

I really, really like this idea.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, that's pretty good.

For all the stupid **** he's done, I just really want to see Kendall get a win. I want his story to live up to the promise of the S2 finale, even if just for a moment. I want to see him get his "killer" moment that up to now, we haven't quite gotten yet.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. A "humbled," killer Ken would be an interesting version we haven't yet seen. We got the insufferable, killer Ken, and that obviously ran its course (for both us and Ken himself). Time to see the version of Ken with some actual power, and some actual self-awareness.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Proposition Joe said:

So Logan is going to attend the second (third?) marriage of the ex-wife he doesn't care for because her soon to be shyster husband wants to ask a favor of him?

Yeah, that's not Logan.
Even stranger (didn't realize this till I heard The Watch's podcast), why the hell was Gerri invited?
dc509
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Proposition Joe said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Proposition Joe said:

Yeah, that's not Logan.
Even stranger (didn't realize this till I heard The Watch's podcast), why the hell was Gerri invited?
She probably wasn't. I don't think you tell Logan Roy who he can and cannot bring.
TCTTS
AG
Right. They're in the middle of the Gojo deal, so it's imperative Gerri be with him.
Proposition Joe
I guess about the only case you can make is that it is such a crucial time for the company that Logan wants all of his people together, so if Shiv and Roman are going to be attending the wedding that he should probably go along with them.

Though of course that leaves Tweedle-dee and Tweedle-dum back in the US handling things.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.