*** SUCCESSION - Season 3 ***

85,581 Views | 853 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MooreTrucker
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Copied this directly from Reddit and kind of kicking myself I didn't even think of it.

Not only possible but I'm kinda convinced also.
dc509
AG
I really hope that is true. Tom is going to make a play at some point this season, and that would be an excellent opening shot.
BowSowy
AG
I like the idea, primarily because I hope this is the season we finally see someone in the family outmaneuver Logan and take the throne. When those donuts derailed the kids' discussion, I was a little annoyed that Logan got the best of them again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well that was an eventful hour. Damn.
dc509
AG
Kendall and Shiv took out the knives. I like it. Logan also might have made his first serious misstep of the season.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Which one?
rynning
AG
Kendall and Shiv definitely took things to a new (unrepairable?) level. Roman and Connor wanted nothing to do with it and still hope for reconciliation.

I am surprised that the letter had that much of an impact on Kendall. Wasn't it already publicly known he had addiction problems? He could have easily addressed that as a deflection from the "real" issues at the company and come out on top.

What was Logan's misstep? Letting in the FBI? Trusting Shiv?
Four Seasons Landscaping
His sister saying all that after he had tried to court her to his side is what got to him.
Quinn
AG
rynning said:

Kendall and Shiv definitely took things to a new (unrepairable?) level. Roman and Connor wanted nothing to do with it and still hope for reconciliation.

I am surprised that the letter had that much of an impact on Kendall. Wasn't it already publicly known he had addiction problems? He could have easily addressed that as a deflection from the "real" issues at the company and come out on top.

What was Logan's misstep? Letting in the FBI? Trusting Shiv?
I took it that Kendall's addiction issues were something that was know on twitter/blogspehere, but not something that the main stream media would mention. There definitely would be a Gawker story about it, but the Washington Post wouldn't have previously included it in its story.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The "Rape Me" bit was pretty funny.
dc509
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Which one?
The meeting with the President's advisor. Gerri told him that it spooked the Asst. US Attorney. They might not run with it, but that feels like they set it up as a misstep.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Prediction: The watch thing is the reason Greg will turn on Ken.
jackie childs
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Prediction: The watch thing is the reason Greg will turn on Ken.
i don't know, Ken got him a sweet apartment, would be kinda crappy to turn on him for a watch
jackie childs
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The "Rape Me" bit was pretty funny.
and shiv's reaction to it was so telling
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
More for me than anyone else, here's where everyone stands after episode 3... (Correct me if I miss anything.)

Kendall: Wants to kill Logan and has now obviously started a war with Shiv.

Shiv: Probably wants to destroy Kendall now more than anything else. This may be her downfall.

Gerri: Seems to me like she is waning on her loyalty to Logan and will probably flip whenever she starts feeling the heat, more so to cover her own ass.

Roman: With Logan, but still kind of playing both sides. Hasn't gotten his hands messy yet. (Those ****ty comments from his dad before the FBI raid could not have helped him staying though. I think he'll jump ship along with Gerri.)

Connor: Same as always. Probably more loyal to his dad than the other siblings.

Tom: Offered to take the fall for Logan, but just trying to get a payday. I don't see him jumping ship anytime soon. However the x-factor is the tense relationship with Shiv. Maybe Ken will try to exploit this and flip him.

Greg: Wild card.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/11/08/is-succession-the-best-sitcom-on-television
jackie childs
Brian Earl Spilner said:

More for me than anyone else, here's where everyone stands after episode 3... (Correct me if I miss anything.)

Shiv: Probably wants to destroy Kendall now more than anything else. This may be her downfall.

Gerri: Seems to me like she is waning on her loyalty to Logan and will probably flip whenever she starts feeling the heat, more so to cover her own ass.

Roman: With Logan, but still kind of playing both sides. Hasn't gotten his hands messy yet. (Those ****ty comments from his dad before the FBI raid could not have helped him staying though. I think he'll jump ship along with Gerri.)

Tom: Offered to take the fall for Logan, but just trying to get a payday. I don't see him jumping ship anytime soon. However the x-factor is the tense relationship with Shiv. Maybe Ken will try to exploit this and flip him.

That sounds about right...couple of thoughts/responses on a few of them...

Kendall- Weirdly, I don't think he intended to start a war with Shiv. While not exactly an apology at the media event, he did at least express some regret over saying hurtful things to her in Rava's apartment. I don't think the "Rape Me" stunt was intended as a personal attack on her.

Shiv- along those lines, Ken's pity toward her at the media event and then the "Rape Me" stunt clearly set Shiv off. she's also contemplating letting Tom go to prison. this may be her "breaking bad" moment.

Connor- i still think his political agenda may come into play at some point and that someone is going to suggest that he's going to have to distance himself from logan if he wants to run for office.

Tom- any chance that the offer to Shiv was a test and when she didn't emphatically protest him going to jail, he decided to cooperate and maybe even wear a wire at some point?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Interesting point on Tom. I think the the Tom/Shiv relationship is already on thin ice and her seemingly ready to let him go to jail is definitely going to factor in.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sports-Ag
AG
What an episode. When Nirvana dropped during Shiv's press conference I was like damn. I can see her just losing sight and constantly in attack mode.

Very telling how Roman and Connor did not want to have their names attached to that letter.

I was thinking as well if Tom was testing Shiv when he brought up taking the downfall. I can see Shiv sacrificing him in the end.

Kendall's ego/arrogance keeps on getting the best of him. At the party, talking to the writers, the show then when something hits hard he hides.

Was interesting to see Ken and Logan going through some bad stuff at the same time. Ken and the letter then Logan and the FBI. To save face, Ken should have gone out to the show and say he was late because of the FBI raid at WayStar.

Good tweet bad tweet.
Max Power
AG
Solid episode, Logan just has to sit back while the kids are killing each other. He doesn't have to do anything to retain family control, the kids will eliminate themselves. Roman is the smartest of the bunch, staying close, keeping quiet for the most part, and he's actually involved in the business.

Kendall and Shiv got straight up cold blooded on each other. I felt horrified when Shiv was trying to host the town hall and 'Rape Me' started playing, a legit holy **** moment. Kendall has no real compass, he's looking for approval anywhere he can find it, and he's perhaps seeing that he's not going to get it anywhere. Not his family, not the media, not the public, not the shareholders, he's on an island. He's ripe to be coerced into something, he's weak.

I loved the Greg/Kendall watch sequence.

I'm most interested in seeing where Tom is going with this stuff. Offering to become a martyr for Logan, perhaps to stay close, or perhaps he'd rather go to prison for something that isn't his fault and be released with a golden parachute in order to leave the Roy family.

Every week I'm curious if Tom is really trying to help Greg, but Greg just isn't really understanding the gravity of the situation he's in. I think there's a moment coming where the FBI possibly dangles whistleblower protections his way and he's gotta decide between family and himself once and for all.

If I have to pick sides through all this nonsense I gotta go with Logan. It's his company, Kendall and Shiv would be disasters in charge. Roman is the only kid who really has the internal experience, but Logan doesn't take him seriously. Also, he doesn't owe his kids the company he built, period.
jackie childs
the show may be called succession and "which kid(s) take over" is obviously a through line of the whole story, but i don't see a satisfying ending where any of these lunatics wind up in charge.
dc509
AG
Kendall - The activist investors are coming. He has already made one stupid move reaching out to Stewy and Sandy. I actually think from a purely technical standpoint he is the only one who could actually run the company, but he has zero chance of ending up CEO. He's just too much of a disaster who desperately wants someone to tell him they love him.

Shiv - Shiv chose violence. She won't end up CEO. I'm not really sure how her story will go, but I feel like she's about to have her dragon burn the city.

Roman - I disagree that he's the smartest, but he is sitting in the best position. I don't think he could actually run the company, but he might be the last one standing simply because he has figured out how to stay in the gaps by essentially doing nothing.

Connor - nope.

Tom - Tom is in an interesting place. Will he turn? Will he actually sacrifice himself? I go back and forth on whether he will actually sacrifice himself, bit if Shiv is really turning as cold as she seems to be then allowing her husband to go to prison would be on brand. If that happens the prison sentence will be significantly longer than they anticipated.

Greg - Greg is the egg, and somehow feels like the key to the whole damn thing.

Logan - Somehow I still think he ends up on top. Unless he goes to jail it would take a combined effort from all of the kids to topple him, and at least two of them are now at war with one another. Whether intentional or not he has done a masterful job of making sure they aren't on the same page. Bringing down the king will be tough.

Marcia - If anyone topples Logan it will be with her help. No idea what she's up to other than "improving her financial position," but she interests me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One thing that occurred to me is that Marcia is already a sleeper agent for Kendall. I don't think that mention in episode one was for no reason.
rynning
AG
One thing I've learned about this show is that everything is shown for a reason. We've talked about who's smart enough to be CEO, but who is actually capable of leading? I would say Tom seems to be one of the few who could step up and do that, but so far he's lacked the confidence. I'm thinking of the company dinner scene.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think Gerri is far and away the best option, plus the fact that she's already "acting" CEO, so naturally it won't be her.
InternetFan02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Connor: his signature is too valuable to give away for free and he needs some suck suck on his dicky-dick
dc509
AG
I like it and that could be true, but I don't think she is a sleeper at the moment. No way Kendall pulled that off. She did, however, mention being humiliated by Logan. That was a bad move on his part. Now she has been formally installed in the family trust, and has taken care of her children. I can see her approaching Kendall with some type of offer to become his mole. All of this to her own ends of course.
rynning
AG
Maybe too far out there, but do we know for sure that Kendall set up the 'Rape Me' stunt?

Obviously, we're meant to believe it, but just like the donuts, Tom had the knowledge and ability to do it or have it done and put the boxes in Kendall's office.
CoppellAg93
AG
IInternetFan02 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Connor: his signature is too valuable to give away for free and he needs some suck suck on his dicky-dick
I'll take "Things I Could Never Say To My Sisters" for $1,000 Alex.
CoppellAg93
AG
rynning said:

Maybe too far out there, but do we know for sure that Kendall set up the 'Rape Me' stunt?

Obviously, we're meant to believe it, but just like the donuts, Tom had the knowledge and ability to do it or have it done and put the boxes in Kendall's office.
Ken told his assistant to pick up a list of things - so the assumption would be that the list was the speakers, music, etc.
rynning
AG
CoppellAg93 said:

rynning said:

Ken told his assistant to pick up a list of things - so the assumption would be that the list was the speakers, music, etc.
Ah, missed that. Never mind.
TCTTS
AG
CoppellAg93 said:

rynning said:

I was finally able to watch the episode tonight, with my parents, and my theory to them in the moment was that it was Logan. Logan was already angry with Shiv that she wasn't sh*t-talking Ken in the press. Logan made a whole thing of it to her in his home office when he shut all the doors, and she still pushed back a bit. Her town hall was then sabotaged, and next thing we knew, Logan was sitting in his office, she stormed in, and Logan was basically like "See? I told you." It was VERY convenient. In other words, all I'm saying is, Logan needed the kids to sh*t on Ken publicly, and by episode's end, the one kid he wanted to sh*t on Ken the most did exactly that, in spectacular fashion. To the point where Logan seemed overjoyed, and not at all bothered that Roman or Con didn't sign the letter.
mazzag
AG
Umm...wasn't there empty boxes in Kendal's office of big blue tooth speakers? And he sent the guy on a errand to with a list of stuff to buy?
Teddy Perkins
AG
mazzag said:

Umm...wasn't there empty boxes in Kendal's office of big blue tooth speakers? And he sent the guy on a errand to with a list of stuff to buy?
Yup. And Logan doesn't strike me as knowledgeable of Nirvana's Rape Me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.