*** SUCCESSION (New HBO Series) ***

90,374 Views | 704 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Reminder that the 10-episode first season starts Sunday at 10 PM EST. I haven't read any reviews yet, but the trailers have been fantastic, so hopefully it makes for a solid summer show...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Reminds me of the Delos family in Westworld. I'm so in.
oragator
I read around on some reviews, they are ok but not great.
Indie wire loved it, USA Today hated it, variety and Hollywood reporter gave it a semi grudging thumbs up, others scene the spectrum.
TCTTS
AG
Good to know. Thanks.
TCTTS
AG
Anyone watch? I just finished the pilot and thought it was phenomenal. It doesn't feature a traditionally "likable" character (yet), but it's a killer cast that just knocks the material out of the park. The family dynamic is so compelling and well done. Overall, it's like a slightly more serious version of The Big Short in tone, but still has plenty of laughs and of course some great one-liners. If the pilot is any indiciation, it's going to be a worthy summer show, and one episode in I can't recommend it enough.
schmendeler
AG
the vibe I got from the previews was "unfunny bluths."
TCTTS
AG
They're pretty damn funny. In their own twisted way.
schmendeler
AG
TCTTS said:

They're pretty damn funny. In their own twisted way.
interesting. I maybe didn't watch the right trailer, but I didn't see any humor. i'll try to give the first episode a shot.
SeattleAgJr
I watched it and will be giving it a pass.

The show looks great and the potential storylines (Asian dude) could really make in intriguing.

But the tone of the characters is too off. They are trying to get a bit of the AD vibe, but I felt it did not fit.

A couple of the mains have the ALL ENCOMPASSING SINGLE ATTRIBUTE to make them stand out, or be quirky or whatever, but it is the same we have seen with literally every other show. Lazy shorthand instead of actual characterization.

But the bigger issue is that not one single main character is likeable.

It is touted as a dramedy. Would have been much better if it was a pure drama.

I am giving it a pass on any further episodes.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll wait for 4-5 episodes to drop and see some more general reactions before jumping in.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Lazy shorthand instead of actual characterization.

There's been ONE episode. And it's an ensemble cast. Characterization comes with additional episodes. Kind of hard to do that for every single character within a 60-minute pilot.
SeattleAgJr
There is no compelling reason to come back and watch unlikable characters.
TCTTS
AG
Great acting? Great writing? Great direction? A compelling story? I agree that there's not a likeable character (yet), but I've also never understood the absolute need for likeable characters when everything else is top notch. And just because they're not likeable doesn't mean they can't be enjoyable. I enjoyed the hell out of watching this family interact.
SeattleAgJr
TCTTS said:

Great acting? Great writing? Great direction? A compelling story? I agree that there's not a likeable character (yet), but I've also never understood the absolute need for likeable characters when everything else is top notch. And just because they're not likeable doesn't mean they can't be enjoyable. I enjoyed the hell out of watching this family interact.
I fully acknowledge HBO's track record for shows - comedies and drama. They have earned the benefit of the doubt.

I get that the core of the show is meant to be conflict. The title literally telegraphs that. And there are so many ways they could take a story like this.

But like you said, it is a pilot. I gave the episode a try. I just decided do not want or need that kind of show in my rotation right now.

Assuming it gets a second season, I can always jump back in at a later point assuming the consensus is good.
TCTTS
AG
Fair enough.
Hey Nav
AG
I hope the story line goes something like this:

The communists take power. Every single member of the family (and all the attorneys) are lined up against a wall and shot.

Won't be watching.
mazag08
AG
TCTTS, you and I agree! Champagne party at your Hollywood mansion!

I thought the pilot was very good. Been excited for this one and hope it has staying power.
TCTTS
AG
Between this and the Top Gun thread, you sound like a very pleasant person.
TCTTS
AG
It's a bonafide miracle. Glad to hear.
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

I'm sorry if my comments were offensive. I am probably considered a pretty nice guy. I'm not a film or TV or theatre or writing expert. I give you that.

W\That said, we all know, deep down, that Top Gun is really comically bad. But it's good to watch, but bad is so many ways

I did try to give Succession a try, but is there a single character that has a single redeeming trait?

Again, sorry for being unpleasant. i just want to have a good time, watch nonviolent entertainment, and have a good time.
TCTTS
Hey Nav
AG
TCTTS, I really appreciate your comments on this forum.

Looking forward to the Neil Armstrong film, and appreciate your heads up. He is one of my heroes.

Hope to hear more from you when you know about The Mighty Eighth.

Regards.
PatAg
AG
Hey Nav said:

Quote:

I'm sorry if my comments were offensive. I am probably considered a pretty nice guy. I'm not a film or TV or theatre or writing expert. I give you that.

W\That said, we all know, deep down, that Top Gun is really comically bad. But it's good to watch, but bad is so many ways

I did try to give Succession a try, but is there a single character that has a single redeeming trait?

Again, sorry for being unpleasant. i just want to have a good time, watch nonviolent entertainment, and have a good time.
HBO kinda has a signature style
TCTTS
AG
Much appreciated. Was just giving you a hard time.
Belton Ag
AG
Bryan Cox is awesome. He played possibly the most badass character ever to grace 5 minutes of film.

Max Power
AG
Watched the pilot last night, really solid, I'd give it a B+ or A-.

High points:
-Cox is awesome, perfect casting.
-I think they did a good job at establishing this family as a bunch of unlikeable individuals rather than a successful nuclear family. That makes for a way more believable power struggle. When I say unlikeable I mean it like the way Mad Men had a cast of people you might like but didn't root for them, like Roger Sterling. Kieran Culkin was like that for me, I enjoyed the character, but won't root for a guy that ripped up a million dollar check in front of a kid for his own personal enjoyment.

Needs work:
-I know it's the pilot but I don't totally get the point of the way that Kendall was portrayed. He didn't seem like the guy that would just be anointed to take over an empire. Just seemed like too much of a screw up at heart. Also didn't seem to act like a guy that should be allowed to make acquisitions that size, and have the power to allocate a seat at the board, just didn't fit for me.
-I didn't get the point of the screw-up nephew, but IMDB shows he's in 9 episodes this season so he must play a bigger role than I think.

Will definitely watch the rest of the season.
TCTTS
AG
Two episodes in and, at least among shows currently airing, I think this is legitimately the funniest on television right now. Or maybe I just have a dry, twisted sense of humor. But episode two was fantastic. It's like a darker, more serious Veep. At this point, I honestly could not care less if there's a likable character or not. The writing is phenomenal, and I find it incredibly compelling/satisfying to watch this family of schemers scheme. Not to mention, everything with the nephew continues to be gold. I'm honestly giddy that we get eight more weeks of this.
mhayden
Gave the first episode a shot last night after watching Westworld... I like the idea, but it just seemed like the writing was trying way too hard.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Episode two was definitely funnier than the first. A lot of subtle humor. I kept cracking up when everyone kept apologizing to the son in the business for messing up his day of becoming CEO, while his dad is in ICU.

It is kinda weird though. Arrested development was clearly a comedy. This has some dark humor and you can tell they are going for comedy in some parts. But the drama aspect of it is more like Billions than Arrested Development. Sometimes the comedy and the hardcore drama seems like they don't go together for some reason.

But I'm interested enough to keep watching st this point.
TCTTS
AG
InternetFan02
AG
Good show. I hope it gets better, but it's nice so far. It makes me want to re-watch Arrested Development and Veep. Alan Ruck is an exact copy of Selina's ex-husband - I'm waiting for him to pitch someone on investing in a hotel in the rain forest

I'm cautiously optimistic that the Jeremy Strong character continues to be a...strong character

When I saw the trailer I worried Kiran Culkin would make this an instant tuneout but he has been surprisingly good.
Max Power
AG
Episode 2 helped me turn the corner on this show, once you start watching it as a comedy vs a drama it makes way more sense and is even more enjoyable. There is too much buffoonery in this family for this show to be a straight up drama. It doesn't look like a comedy on the surface but it's definitely there. The parallels to a drier Arrested Development are there, having Ron Howard narrate would be a bonus.

I'm glad to see it's been renewed, I can see this show really turning into something once they get the characters totally hashed out.
TCTTS
AG
Very well said.
mhayden
Gonna give it another episode or two, but the show is struggling to decide what it wants to be. If it's dark comedy, this last episode was sorely lacking... But if it's wall-street-drama, I feel like we've seen all of this before.
TCTTS
AG
Why can't it be both? IMO, not every episode has to fit that perfect balance. If one episode wants to be 60% comedy, 40% drama and then another 20/80, I'm perfectly fine with that. Yes, tonight was the least comedic of the bunch, but I was still incredibly drawn in by the drama. Every episode has done an amazing job of conveying a growing, epic power struggle, step by step, and I just can't get enough of it. I realize I seem to be more into it than most, but man, this show has been 3 for 3 and absolutely stellar to me so far.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.