*** Avengers: Infinity War --- SPOILERS ALLOWED in here ***

216,623 Views | 1691 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
Bobcat06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mpl35 said:

Quote:

Thanos is willing to sacrifice his daughter for the Soul Stone

Thor is willing to sacrifice himself for the Stormbreaker
I'd argue these two were under duress as well. Thanos has sought the destruction of 1/2 the galaxy for years. The only way to achieve it is to kill his daughter. He does it only when forced.

Thor knows he has to have a weapon capable of killing Thanos or the galaxy loses. He only risks himself (don't think this even qualifies since his sacrifice was only a risk and not a done deal like the rest) when the mechanism fails....also known as being forced to.

You are highly selective in what you call "willing" imo.
Star Lord, Strange, Witch and Captain all make excuses and try to avoid making sacrifices.

But Thor and Thanos don't make excuses.
Thanos doesn't summon one of the Black Order to take Gamora's place.
Thor doesn't ask if there's a lesser weapon available.
They restrain their impulse and exert willpower to get it done.
AMW2010
AG
Will we EVER get adult groot again... like damn...
mpl35
AG
Bobcat06 said:

mpl35 said:

Quote:

I'd argue these two were under duress as well. Thanos has sought the destruction of 1/2 the galaxy for years. The only way to achieve it is to kill his daughter. He does it only when forced.

Thor knows he has to have a weapon capable of killing Thanos or the galaxy loses. He only risks himself (don't think this even qualifies since his sacrifice was only a risk and not a done deal like the rest) when the mechanism fails....also known as being forced to.

Star Lord, Strange, Witch and Captain all make excuses and try to avoid making sacrifices.

Reaching. Justifying.

Thor isn't sacrificing. He even says that facing Thanos without that axe is suicide. FORCED to risk his life. Just like Thanos. He doesn't love the black order. He loves Gamora.

And others have already pointed out that Strange only gave up the stone because it was the only way to win. When you see the future, it isn't a sacrifice.
ScottBowen
AG
Bobcat06 said:

mpl35 said:

Quote:

I think this is a decent idea even if it doesn't completely scan. The driving theme of the movie is that Thanos is willing to, and does, give up absolutely everything important to him in order to achieve his goal.

The heroes had ample opportunities to stop him, but they would have required the sacrifice of things that were important to them: their principles, their loved ones, their power, their purpose. None of them opted to do so until it was too late.

This all perfectly sets up what could be the theme of the second movie: Thanos comes to regret his sacrifices, and the heroes win in the end because of their unwillingness to sell their souls for victory the first time around.
FL_Ag1998
AG
If the writers seriously go the route that some of you are talking about, and The Avengers only win because Thanos reverses what he did or just gives up and lets them change things back, I'll be seriously disappointed. That would be a ***** move and make Thanos the biggest ***** villain ever.

Sure, let him regret having to sacrifice his daughter.
But these are the Avengers, the ultimate good guys that we've all been watching and waiting for 10 years building up to this moment. If Thanos just gives up and that's how they win....what an ultimate cop out. They already made Thanos less of a bad-ass and more touchy-feely than he is in the comic books...don't ruin it by making the ending more of a Thanos surrender than an Avengers victory.
AgMarauder04
AG
Nobody sets out for plan A to sacrifice everything. Just because they attempt all other ways, doesn't mean they aren't willing to make the sacrifice.
AgMarauder04
AG
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/05/05/avengers-infinity-war-star-lord-was-part-of-the-plan/

Thoughts?

Thesis is that Strange was counting on Star Lord flipping out as part of the "one way" to best him. That going into the struggle on Titan, they were going to fail that time.
GreasenUSA
AG
Yes, believe it's been covered a few times in this thread that this is Strange's plan in action.
jeffk
AG
Gunn says Groot's lines are in the script. So does Vin Diesel just read the line and adlib the "I am Groot" to for the implied tone?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
jeffk said:

Gunn says Groot's lines are in the script. So does Vin Diesel just read the line and adlib the "I am Groot" to for the implied tone?

I think he reads them in English and then they have an English to Groot translator switch them over.
Brick Tamland
Easiest job in the MCU?
Dro07
AG
Still crazy that people have to have this explained to them. To bash someone on social media because of the actions of a fictional character is borderline insane if you can't separate the two.
John Matrix
AG
So, after a week of navigating the internet like a ninja to avoid spoilers, I finally saw this on Friday. This is simply Marvel's masterwork--it's their Wrath of Kahn or Empire Strikes Back. The character juggling that occurred here is remarkable--every character, minus Cap and his entourage, get a big moment in this, and they are able to accomplish this while keeping a fast paced narrative going. That being said, what I feel makes this film a classic is Thanos. For all intent and purposes, Thanos is the protagonist of this story, which makes this film in the context of superhero films unique. The fact that they made Thanos INTERESTING seals the deal.

He's a described as a mad Titan, but his plan is anything but crazy. It's coldly, simply logical. His scenes with Gamora seal the deal in terms of developing him as a character. Thanos is a creature that has his reasons, and even shows a little humanity in his relationship with his daughter. When Gamora is sacrificed, Thanos reveals himself to be as ruthless as he is threatening. In the end, this Thanos' story, with the Avengers just along for the ride. Josh Brolin's Thanos will be compared to Hath Ledger's Joker as the greatest cinematic comic book villain shortly.

If there is an issues I have with it, I do kind of understand TCTSS' assertion that none of these deaths are going to stick. Obviously, Spiderman and Black Panther are coming back, which really lessen the impacts of their deaths,( although Tom Holland's scene is emotionally gut-wrenching just in the performance.) As a lot of you have determined, it's no accident all of the OG Avengers made it through. Their sacrifice is definitely not done.

As a huge Cap guy myself, seeing his character basically become a glorified extra was another flaw in the film, but will most likely be addressed in the next film. Overall, this film is all payoff, which is exactly what Marvel set out to do.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
dcaggie04 said:

Dad-O-Lot said:

Saw it last night.

Ending seemed pointless

disappointed.

If you thought the ending was pointless, then I dont think you paid attention to the movie.
I did, and I was somewhat bothered by what appeared to me to be a not-so-thinly-veiled approval or acceptance of genocide as an acceptable solution to a "problem" of overpopulation.

Thanos is shown almost in a sympathetic light. Willing to sacrifice his own adopted daughter to "save" the universe. The daughter he "saved" out of sympathy. In spite of what appears to be an irredeemable evil plan, he is revealed to truly love this daughter.

People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
DB Coach
AG
mpl35 said:

Bobcat06 said:

mpl35 said:

Quote:

Reaching. Justifying.

Thor isn't sacrificing. He even says that facing Thanos without that axe is suicide. FORCED to risk his life. Just like Thanos. He doesn't love the black order. He loves Gamora.

And others have already pointed out that Strange only gave up the stone because it was the only way to win. When you see the future, it isn't a sacrifice.

I can see where bobcat is coming from. I like the analysis, and for a true comparison, Dr. Strange did not sacrifice the time stone...he simply gave it up...you can argue that he sacrificed his duty maybe, but not the stone. The others chose to/not to potentially destroy something/someone.
Fenrir
Dad-O-Lot said:

dcaggie04 said:

Dad-O-Lot said:

Saw it last night.

Ending seemed pointless

disappointed.

If you thought the ending was pointless, then I dont think you paid attention to the movie.
I did, and I was somewhat bothered by what appeared to me to be a not-so-thinly-veiled approval or acceptance of genocide as an acceptable solution to a "problem" of overpopulation.

Thanos is shown almost in a sympathetic light. Willing to sacrifice his own adopted daughter to "save" the universe. The daughter he "saved" out of sympathy. In spite of what appears to be an irredeemable evil plan, he is revealed to truly love this daughter.

That's some Stretch Armstrong level reaching.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Can you expound on this? Trying to understand your point here.

Acceptance of genocide by who? Thanos? Or the Avengers? Or the writers?

Because if you mean any of the latter two, I'm really curious to hear you defend that position. I could not disagree more with this assertion.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

If the writers seriously go the route that some of you are talking about, and The Avengers only win because Thanos reverses what he did or just gives up and lets them change things back, I'll be seriously disappointed. That would be a ***** move and make Thanos the biggest ***** villain ever.

Sure, let him regret having to sacrifice his daughter.
But these are the Avengers, the ultimate good guys that we've all been watching and waiting for 10 years building up to this moment. If Thanos just gives up and that's how they win....what an ultimate cop out. They already made Thanos less of a bad-ass and more touchy-feely than he is in the comic books...don't ruin it by making the ending more of a Thanos surrender than an Avengers victory.
Well, the destruction of the gauntlet and his injuries from the axe may be Thanos' undoing.

Remember the character in the Dr. Strange movie who said there are "always consequences" for altering the natural law. Maybe Thanos has to reap some consequences.

But I'm guessing he will regret his actions and somehow participate in reversing them. Little Gamora will be haunting him like a poltergeist.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Can you expound on this? Trying to understand your point here.

Acceptance of genocide by who? Thanos? Or the Avengers? Or the writers?

Because if you mean any of the latter two, I'm really curious to hear you defend that position. I could not disagree more with this assertion.
Thanos presents his solution as logical and himself as the only person in the universe with the will to pursue it. This is not challenged other than a general "oh no, he's going to eliminate half of the "people".

No come-uppance of any sort other than having to sacrifice someone he loves. It is assumed that he is so evil that he is not capable of love, but then that is shown to not be true.

There is even a Judeo-Christian religious aspect to this. Abraham being willing to sacrifice his only son, Isaac. Jesus, God's only begotten son, the "sacrificial lamb", being put to death to redeem humanity.

I do not know the story from the Marvel Comic Canon, so I don't know how it ultimately turns out, but I see definite sympathy for Thanos, even if it is understood to be mis-guided, there is the idea that "Maybe he has a point".
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

No come-uppance of any sort
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4154796/

Also, the fact that he believes he's right is what made him a great villain in many people's eyes. Doesn't mean anyone in the Marvel universe or any of the audience should actually agree with Thanos, just understand him.
Fenrir
Nobody outside of Thanos' own crew accepts or agrees with the genocide. They are all literally fighting him to the death to prevent it. It's an incredible reach to say that the movie in anyway condones the idea.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Fenrir said:

Nobody outside of Thanos' own crew accepts or agrees with the genocide. They are all literally fighting him to the death to prevent it. It's an incredible reach to say that the movie in anyway condones the idea.
Perhaps, but so far, Thanos is "right", regardless of what everyone else does or says.

He eliminates half, and life goes on.

If he was right about Gamora's world and now they all live in a "paradise", maybe he'll be right about the rest of the Universe.

Again, I have no idea what's coming next, maybe there is a return to sanity and Thanos will either be shown to have been wrong or will see and understand how wrong he was. As of now, he is a sympathetic character who was willing to sacrifice the only being he loved for what he believed was the right thing to do.
fig96
AG
Fenrir said:

Right, not following the logic here that it's somehow condoned or accepted. It's only been accepted in past events because the people couldn't do anything about it.
AliasMan02
AG
fig96 said:

Fenrir said:

Right, not following the logic here that it's somehow condoned or accepted. It's only been accepted in past events because the people couldn't do anything about it.

And those events have spawned nothing but hatred for him.
The Shank Ag
One big problem is his painting with a broad brush that his methodology helps all life on all planets. The fact of the matter is that its not always going to work as intended.

Take earth for example. He says he doesn't take into account who you are, what financial means you come from, what race/creed/sex you are, its a random elimination. But when doing that, all the wealth of the wealthy that pass will just pass down to their heirs just as all the burden of those impoverished will as well. Yes there will be more natural resources as less will be used, but poverty/prejudice/wealth/etc will all still exist. There will still be hungry mouths and embattled peoples.
redline248
AG
Quote:

If he was right about Gamora's world and now they all live in a "paradise", maybe he'll be right about the rest of the Universe.
See, there is literally 1 being in the MCU still left alive, that we know of, that thinks he was right, and it's Thanos. Gamora told him he was full of sh.t when he said that about her planet.
Fenrir
Dad-O-Lot said:

Fenrir said:

Perhaps, but so far, Thanos is "right", regardless of what everyone else does or says.

Again, I have no idea what's coming next, maybe there is a return to sanity and Thanos will either be shown to have been wrong or will see and understand how wrong he was. As of now, he is a sympathetic character who was willing to sacrifice the only being he loved for what he believed was the right thing to do.
Bad **** happens in movies sometimes, it doesn't mean that the movies/writers/protagonists agree, condone or promote it. It means that it's a movie that has provided an extra high hurdle for the protagonists to overcome. I'm really starting to question whether it would be in your best interest to just stick to Veggie Tales going forward.
AgMarauder04
AG
Fenrir said:

Dad-O-Lot said:

Fenrir said:

Bad **** happens in movies sometimes, it doesn't mean that the movies/writers/protagonists agree, condone or promote it. It means that it's a movie that has provided an extra high hurdle for the protagonists to overcome. I'm really starting to question whether it would be in your best interest to just stick to Veggie Tales going forward.
The writers of Star Wars condone lopping off appendages.
redline248
AG
It similar in thought to saying Killmonger's perspective was accepted in any way during Black Panther. The movie also made him sympathetic, but I don't think many would agree with his plan.
The Shank Ag
Another question, if Strange/Wong can open portals and cut off anything that closes on both sides, why not open one around his head and then close it?
redline248
AG
There must be some law about the portals not able to be opened where something is currently occupying that space, or something. All the portals have always been opened in air. Not in a wall, or the floor, for example.

Just a guess
The Debt
Ben Shapiro, re: malthusian (thanos') arguement. "This movie could have been much shorter if you sat Thanos down with Thomas Sowell."

jtstanley4621
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/05/05/avengers-infinity-war-star-lord-was-part-of-the-plan/

Thoughts?

Thesis is that Strange was counting on Star Lord flipping out as part of the "one way" to best him. That going into the struggle on Titan, they were going to fail that time.
Yeah I think if we are to assume that Strange really did look into the future and see the possible winning outcome, everything he's involved with from that point forward he's allowing to happen in the sense that he knows it's what needs to happen for them to win.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Fenrir said:

Dad-O-Lot said:

Fenrir said:

oh come on, no need for personal judgment here; it's a stinkin' movie. If I wanted that kind of snark, I would have posted on the General Board.

Yes, I know "bad **** happens" in movies. I also know that not every ending is pollyanna.

I may be interpreting things differently and seeing angles that others don't because of my own viewpoints. I understand that.
Fenrir
I started to make a reference to Star Wars but backed out. I'm regretting it now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.