*** Avengers: Infinity War --- SPOILERS ALLOWED in here ***

209,053 Views | 1691 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
thriller03 said:

The Black Order weren't even a thing in the comics until 2012/2013. Not much to work with, and by the time Hickman wrote them many of the movies were already at least mapped out in concept.
Great info, thanks!
AgMarauder04
AG
Or launch infinity stones into a star or black hole. They are clearly not indestructible.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Giant Ant-Man HAS to factor in 4, right? He could down Thanos, I would think? Maybe even tear off the gauntlet.
fig96
AG
Sex Panther said:

I thought the Black Order were pretty good considering they were just Thanos' muscle and didn't even say any of their names.

I thought Ebony Maw was especially great, and Carrie Coon was really good as Proxima.
I thought they were too, they were just intriguing as characters and I'd have liked to have learned more about them.
jackie childs
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Giant Ant-Man HAS to factor in 4, right? He could down Thanos, I would think? Maybe even tear off the gauntlet.
i don't know...if Peter Parker (or literally anybody who's seen Empire Strikes Back) can take him down, I'm guessing Thanos could as well.

i think Ant-Man might be more effective going small and trying to remove a stone from the gauntlet
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Yeah, I guess they did delve into the stones a little bit in Guardians of the Galaxy 2, but still feel like they could have done a little more to emphasize their importance in a few of the other movies. But just a minor complaint.

But my biggest complaint now that I think about it - Gamora new Thanos was after one of the stones, so she should have been able to put two and two together and figure out his overall plan if she didn't know it already. So why the hell haven't the Gaurdians been going after Thanos and or alerting the Nova Corps before infinity War? Hell they even gave that one infinity stone to the Nova Corps at the end of Guardians 1. So nobody thought to preemptively go after Thanos and take him down?
None of this story-line is the same as the comic story. They pretty much had creative liberty to create whatever they wanted. I'm sure HISHE will give you what you want though.
fig96
AG
jackie childs said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

i don't know...if Peter Parker (or literally anybody who's seen Empire Strikes Back) can take him down, I'm guessing Thanos could as well.

i think Ant-Man might be more effective going small and trying to remove a stone from the gauntlet
Sidenote, I love how Peter's movie knowledge factors into how he solves problems. Empire and Aliens, were there any others?
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
So Captain Marvel is super important but I thought they'd at least introduct Adam Warlock. I would have loved to have Silver Surfer introduced in to the MCU. (Not the old crappy CGI surfer from FF2).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jackie childs said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Good point.

Maybe while he's busy fighting the others, Ant-Man sneaks into the gauntlet and hits the giant button.

Bam, gauntlet destroyed.
AverageJones
AG
"Is Footloose still the greatest movie of all time?"

"It never was"
wangus12
AG
texasaggie04 said:

Cromagnum said:

The only stone we didn't see Thanos use an inrividual power from was the mind stone. I wonder if we get to see something in part 2.

I don't think he used the soul stone either.

Power was used throughout for fighting.
Space used to travel.
Reality used for collector scene.
Time used against vision.

Mind and soul were not used exclusively, just in combination with the others for the finger snap.
He uses it while fighting Dr. Strange. When Strange makes duplicates of himself and surrounds Thanos, he uses the Soul Stone to reveal the real Dr. You even "see" his soul be somewhat pulled from his body.
Living Legend
AG
texasaggie04 said:

Cromagnum said:

The only stone we didn't see Thanos use an inrividual power from was the mind stone. I wonder if we get to see something in part 2.

Space used to travel.

Mind and soul were not used exclusively, just in combination with the others for the finger snap.
I thought the soul stone was used for the "snap"? I was under the assumption that Thanos captured the souls of half the universe with the "snap".
TexasAggie_02
AG
Quote:

What I do wish, my only semi-complaint, is that they would have given us a better idea of the significance of the stones in the standalone movies building up to IW. By "us" I mean the average moviegoer, not the comic nerd/superfan who's been hashing over this stuff for years on message boards.

Not to mention all the times that they were USED in Capt 1, Avengers, Thor 2, GOTG, and Ultron.

Also, they briefly rehashed the origin of them again in IW.

AgMarauder04
AG
Is there a time (can't watch clips) where they actually say each stone actually DOES?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Living Legend said:

texasaggie04 said:

Cromagnum said:

Space used to travel.

I thought the soul stone was used for the "snap"? I was under the assumption that Thanos captured the souls of half the universe with the "snap".

That's what I thought as well.
AgMarauder04
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Living Legend said:

texasaggie04 said:

Cromagnum said:

Space used to travel.

If that's the case, wouldn't he just be able to snap as soon as he had the soul stone?
M.C. Swag
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Champ Bailey said:

Living Legend said:

texasaggie04 said:

Cromagnum said:

Space used to travel.

If that's the case, wouldn't he just be able to snap as soon as he had the soul stone?
Nobody knows because they didn't really explain the stones.
TexasAggie_02
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Champ Bailey said:

Living Legend said:

texasaggie04 said:

Cromagnum said:

Space used to travel.

i'm guessing that he needs them all to cross the entire universe, and to prevent anyone from running interference with another stone.

soul stone - captures/removes souls
power stone - amplifies the magnitude of the soul stone
time/space stones - makes the snap simultaneous across the universe
reality stone - ??
mind stone - profit
AgMarauder04
AG
You're probably right. Or something as simple as the complete set serves as an amplifier.
hurleyag
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

M.C. Swag said:

LeonardSkinner said:

M.C. Swag said:

I mentioned this earlier, but if Thanos is truly an omnipotent timewielding, reality altering god now, why does he still feel the need kill half the universe? Why can't he simply create a new reality where resources are bountiful?
Maybe it's just Thanos obsessively having to prove his plan was correct. He had a plan to save his home world, and they ignored him, and perished for that mistake. Something snaps, and he is now on a mission to prove and/or redeem himself?
I woulda preferred if they stuck to the idea of him trying to impress 'death.' The altruistic motive falls apart for me once he actually acquires the stones.

Not sure how well they could have pulled off the "Death" motivation and still have the average moviegoer buy into it. I feel like they had to go the route they did on behalf of non-comic fans. It was a more easy and quick way to characterize Thanos considering we really didn't know anything about him before this movie. But, I feel like they route they went almost did too good of a job "humanizing" him. It almost made him too soft, what with his feelings for Gamora combined with his twisted-logic desire to "help" the universe by culling the population.

I would have loved to see the comic book Thanos - a complete hardass who slaughters whole planetary populations without reservation. That guy is truly one scary badass.
This brings up a question/concern of mine from the movie. Why doesn't Thanos kill the Guardians at Knowhere? Or why does he take Strange's deal and not kill Tony after he gets the stone? We already know from Dinklage's charater that he has gone back on promises to spare people after he receives what he wanted from the deal.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think they wanted to show that Thanos was not about killing for no reason, he was very specific in his mission.

The dwarves, he probably saw as a potential threat since they could create weapons strong enough to stop him.
Bobcat06
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

AgMarauder04 said:

Champ Bailey said:

Living Legend said:

texasaggie04 said:

Cromagnum said:

Space used to travel.

i'm guessing that he needs them all to cross the entire universe, and to prevent anyone from running interference with another stone.

soul stone - captures/removes souls
power stone - amplifies the magnitude of the soul stone
time/space stones - makes the snap simultaneous across the universe
reality stone - ??
mind stone - profit

Alternate theory:

What if everyone who turned to ash didn't actually die, but was captured in the Soul Stone. IW4 could end with everyone being freed from the Soul Stone.

That's a comic appropriate ending without just using time travel as a deus ex machina that cheapens IW3.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Quote:

Alternate theory:

What if everyone who turned to ash didn't actually die, but was captured in the Soul Stone. IW4 could end with everyone being freed from the Soul Stone.
I don't see how this helps. Thanos is too powerful. Even without the soul stone, no one can defeat him.then he could just reverse time and undo the destruction of the soul stone.

Somehow, Thanos has to decide for himself to reverse what he's done.
Bobcat06
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

Quote:

Alternate theory:

I don't see how this helps. Thanos is too powerful. Even without the soul stone, no one can defeat him.then he could just reverse time and undo the destruction of the soul stone.

They've said that IW4 is like a heist film. I assume it's remaining Avengers stealing the Gauntlet from Thanos.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/03/09/avengers-infinity-war-influences-joe-russo-heist-film/
AgMarauder04
AG
Bobcat06 said:

Fightin TX Aggie said:

Quote:

Alternate theory:

They've said that IW4 is like a heist film. I assume it's remaining Avengers stealing the Gauntlet from Thanos.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/03/09/avengers-infinity-war-influences-joe-russo-heist-film/
That article said THIS MOVIE was the heist film.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
I was thinking about that while watching and nothing in IW felt even remotely heist-like to me. I guess, yeah, sure, they had a plan to get the gauntlet, but it was executed in the most un-heist like way possible. Which is not a knock, btw. I just kept waiting for the heist element to come in and it never did.
AgMarauder04
AG
When I read the article, it came across that THANOS was the "thief" and the Avengers were the "law" reacting to his moves.
TCTTS
AG
I guess? But even that didn't have the elements of lets-get-the-team-tegether / plan-the-heist / execute-the-heist that most heist movies have.
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

man, that's hilarious

maybe it's all for show, but it sure seems like all of these guys are really having fun
FL_Ag1998
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

What I do wish, my only semi-complaint, is that they would have given us a better idea of the significance of the stones in the standalone movies building up to IW. By "us" I mean the average moviegoer, not the comic nerd/superfan who's been hashing over this stuff for years on message boards.

Not to mention all the times that they were USED in Capt 1, Avengers, Thor 2, GOTG, and Ultron.

Also, they briefly rehashed the origin of them again in IW.

You kind of proved my point. For example, in the first clip you showed all they said was they didn't want to keep two Infinity Stones in the same location and then the collector said one down and five more to go. You realize that tells us absolutely nothing about what the Infinity Stones are, what they do, or how powerful they are, right?

And in the other movies where they showed them being used (like Cap 1), that still gives us absolutely no clue of what they truly are or their true significance. I recognized them because I know them from the comics. Someone who doesn't know them from the comics was probably left scratching their head wondering what an infinity stone was until that very brief explanation in Guardians 1. And come on, Thor's vision? That was about as vague as could be, especially for someone who didn't have any comic knowledge of the stones.

I can only assume from the clips that you used as examples that you're coming at it from someone who has knowledge via the comics, and you're wondering how anybody could see those clips and not immediately deduce what Infinity Stones are.
AliasMan02
AG
World's whiniest review.

All they do is rehash issues they have with modern action movies in general (talk about shake-cam and over-the-shoulder conversations forever) and somehow lay it at the feet of the Russos.

Whole thing comes off as cinema snobs complaining. IW isn't going to win any awards, but what these numbskulls don't seem to get is that's not the point. It's the start of the finale of a 10-year action adventure story, not The Shape of Water.
Sex Panther
AG
Quote:

It's the start of the finale of a 10-year action adventure story, not The Shape of Water.

That's true... Infinity War was actually good.
fig96
AG
Quote:

In this context, individual comics panels are said to have "cinematic" qualities if they give viewers the impression that they're literally seeing time pass before their eyes (almost like a lousy, mostly empty flipbook). First, a three-panel page of a meteor as it's about to crash-land (panel one: a twinkle in the sky; panel two: twinkle becomes big enough to make out it's a meteor; panel three: brace for impact!) then a two-page spread of said meteor as it blows up real good.
So for starters, this reviewer has no idea what the term "cinematic" means...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sex Panther said:

Quote:

It's the start of the finale of a 10-year action adventure story, not The Shape of Water.

That's true... Infinity War was actually good.
Bam!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.