*** Avengers: Infinity War --- SPOILERS ALLOWED in here ***

209,134 Views | 1691 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
jtstanley4621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah there were only two real audience reactions in my theater: when they first shower black panther and then when Thor arrived with stormbreaker to kick ass. Thor's arrival being the biggest reaction of the two
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Cap stepping out of the shadows after he caught that spear, and Thor arriving in Wakanda, got the biggest reactions out of the audience I saw it with on Friday. There was also a murmur through the crowd when we saw Red Skull.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
It may be that Thanos would have killed them all and then taken the time stone by force.

And then when Thanos eventually reverses his finger snap, everyone he "dusted" comes back to life but not the people he killed more conventionally.

So, the only way for the Avengers to survive was for Thanos to get the stones more quickly and easily.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Quote:

But he was so powerful that nearly every single possible future path led to his ultimate victory. So, why is this particular path set in motion by Strange the one path where Thanos doesn't win? That's what I haven't figured out yet.
perhaps it was the easiest path for Thanos?

Maybe the team tried 13,999,999 times to stop him from getting the Time Stone, and he won every time. The 1 time that they willingly hand it over, he loses?
tjack16
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Yeah there were only two real audience reactions in my theater: when they first shower black panther and then when Thor arrived with stormbreaker to kick ass. Thor's arrival being the biggest reaction of the two
there were 3 at my theatre. The first showing of Black Panther and Wakanda, Thor showing up .. but also when Cap and company saved Vision towards the beginning.

The loudest was when Thor came out of the portal
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Seen it twice now, these were the biggest moments in my theaters.

1. Thor arriving in Wakanda (Huge reaction both times)
2. Captain America appears
3. Introduction of Wakanda
4. Iron Man suiting up in the beginning
5. Guardians ship appears (Great song, btw.)
6. Spider-Man suits up with new suit
TexasAggie_02
AG
quoting myself from page 222 of the MCU thread

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2537646/replies/51371362

Quote:

interesting thought i just had. In Avengers 1, loki tries to take over Tony's mind, but the arc reactor in his chest causes the scepter to have "performance issues." Seems odd that a man-made object could actually shield one from the power of an Infinity Stone.

not to mention, at the end of IM3, tony has the arc reactor removed from his chest, so he is now no longer immune to the mind stone.
could Tony's arc reactor be the key to destroying the stones now that Scarlet Witch is gone? We've seen it hinder the operation of the mind stone previously.

Tony gets to make the final sacrifice play.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

So, does this mean we may see the Ravagers show up for the final battle against Thanos?

Maybe, just maybe, this'll mean we'll get a chance to see Stallone's original crew of Guardians in action:

Sex Panther
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

interesting thought i just had. In Avengers 1, loki tries to take over Tony's mind, but the arc reactor in his chest causes the scepter to have "performance issues." Seems odd that a man-made object could actually shield one from the power of an Infinity Stone.

not to mention, at the end of IM3, tony has the arc reactor removed from his chest, so he is now no longer immune to the mind stone.
could Tony's arc reactor be the key to destroying the stones now that Scarlet Witch is gone? We've seen it hinder the operation of the mind stone previously.

Well they directly referenced it at the beginning of him not needing it, but he has it just in case... so there's some Chekhov's Gun for you.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Sex Panther said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

Well they directly referenced it at the beginning of him not needing it, but he has it just in case... so there's some Chekhov's Gun for you.
yeah, also Tony is in the "Christ pose" on the IW poster.
Charlie Conway
Sex Panther said:

I thought that was just a housing for "nano bots" or whatever
Charlie Conway
Fightin TX Aggie said:

It may be that Thanos would have killed them all and then taken the time stone by force.

And then when Thanos eventually reverses his finger snap, everyone he "dusted" comes back to life but not the people he killed more conventionally.

So, the only way for the Avengers to survive was for Thanos to get the stones more quickly and easily.
I think this is the most realistic explanation, live to fight another day. Thanos is gonna get the stones regardless, minimizing losses is important at this point in the story. That and obviously Tony is necessary in finally defeating Thanos in the next movie. Tony was affected by the mind stone in Ultron where he gets the vision of the dead Avengers and hears voices but it's written off of PTSD. Thanos hears the same voices so they probably have some connection
TajMaballer
AG
That's my favorite thing about the 7pm Thursday crowds.. THOSE are the people who cheer for just about anything, sitcom style!

Our biggest reactions were the already mentioned moments along with Captain Marvel beeper tease.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Charlie Conway said:

Sex Panther said:

I thought that was just a housing for "nano bots" or whatever
I thought his jumpsuit housed the nanobots. Maybe i'm mis-remembering, but i thought that the jacket transformed into a suit.

side note: how does that even work? tony's clothes must be heavy as *****
AgMarauder04
AG
Let's not start analyzing the physics of Iron Man....since inertia alone would kill him inside his suit.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Charlie Conway said:

Fightin TX Aggie said:

I think this is the most realistic explanation, live to fight another day. Thanos is gonna get the stones regardless, minimizing losses is important at this point in the story. That and obviously Tony is necessary in finally defeating Thanos in the next movie. Tony was affected by the mind stone in Ultron where he gets the vision of the dead Avengers and hears voices but it's written off of PTSD. Thanos hears the same voices so they probably have some connection
that's another good point for my theory.

Age of Ultron is AFTER IM3, no arc reactor. The reactor is in the suit, and tony climbs out of his suit in Strucker's lab.
AliasMan02
AG
The chest piece houses the nano armor.
jackie childs
so while we're heaping praise on Marvel for how they handled the execution of IW, i think they did a pretty awesome job with marketing too. thinking back, literally the only moment i wish i hadn't seen in a trailer was Cap catching the spear and stepping out of the shadows. that would've been an awesome scene to see for the first time in the theater.

i know the marvel movies seem like they just market themselves, but they did a really great job with the trailers in not giving away too much and also in controlling "leaks".
AgMarauder04
AG
jackie childs said:

so while we're heaping praise on Marvel for how they handled the execution of IW, i think they did a pretty awesome job with marketing too. thinking back, literally the only moment i wish i hadn't seen in a trailer was Cap catching the spear and stepping out of the shadows. that would've been an awesome scene to see for the first time in the theater.

i know the marvel movies seem like they just market themselves, but they did a really great job with the trailers in not giving away too much and also in controlling "leaks".
Was this the one where the cast said no one had a full script? They only got the chunks that had their parts so no one was able to put together a full story?
YellAgs
AG
I think maybe only Cumberbatch said he had full script because Dr Strange was so over-arching.
Certainly couldn't give the whole thing to Holland!
jackie childs
i believe so. it sounds like they also used a lot of fake scripts too. i'm sure the number of people who knew the full story ahead of time was pretty damn small
Charlie Conway
So how are they going to promote Avengers 4? They pushed hard for IW with all the cast on talk shows and comic cons. Will they try and hide that the snap deaths come back, will they only promote the movie with survivors?
AgMarauder04
AG
Charlie Conway said:

So how are they going to promote Avengers 4? They pushed hard for IW with all the cast on talk shows and comic cons. Will they try and hide that the snap deaths come back, will they only promote the movie with survivors?
OG Avengers and Thanos.
hurleyag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Seen it twice now, these were the biggest moments in my theaters.

1. Thor arriving in Wakanda (Huge reaction both times)
2. Captain America appears
3. Introduction of Wakanda
4. Iron Man suiting up in the beginning
5. Guardians ship appears (Great song, btw.)
6. Spider-Man suits up with new suit
One thing I did notice in the credits, only two songs were credited. This one and Black Panther Theme.
M.C. Swag
AG
Things I liked:
The movie was great theatre. I had a blast for the full 2.5 hrs and the only time i looked at my watch was when Thanos snapped his finger and I wanted to make sure there was still run time (i didn't want to be left hanging like that). I can't wait to collect all the Marvel movies and sit down my future children to watch these. You can just tell that RDJ, Chris Evans, and Hemsworth are going to be the staple Heroes for an entire generation of children like Batman was for me. Basically, the scope of the conflict, the visuals, and the moments were great.

The impact of Thanos was superb from the get. They absolutely nailed his look, size, and demeanor. I can't fathom a better jump start to the movie than what we got with Thor, Loki and Hulk getting wrecked. I also liked that Thanos obtained all the Stones in this movie and that the studio will focus solely on the resolution of that occurrence in the next installment.

This movie won't win any awards, but I cant imagine anyone having a bad time watching it (unless you sat next to some annoying fan boys who felt compelled to yell out and explain loudly every single plot point to their female friends like I did). From an entertainment perspective, it gets a 10/10.

Things I didn't like:
Now was it a perfect movie? No, but I think the bulk of my qualms rest with what prior movies have failed to do. Particularly, the stones. I'm not a Marvel comic reader (I was a Batman guy), so my knowledge of these things is based almost exclusively from the films and I have no idea what any of them do (particularly the Soul, Reality, Mind, and Time stones). I feel like the true weakness of these films lies with the studio's handling of the stones. They basically serve as the deus ex machina for nothing and everything, because there's no established limits to what they can or cant do. The reality stone and time stone have completely unknown limits to me. The Mind stone and soul stone are almost completely ignored from a functionality perspective. I googled 'infinity stones mcu' and read this article to help educate myself:

https://screenrant.com/marvel-infinity-stone-powers-thanos/2/

It lists what each stone should allow Thanos to do based on the premise of the movies and I don't see how the Time stone and reality stone are being used consistently. Particularly when you consider Thanos' motives. I mentioned this earlier, but if Thanos is truly an omnipotent timewielding, reality altering god now, why does he still feel the need kill half the universe? Why can't he simply create a new reality where resources are bountiful?

Maybe that's simply not how the stones are supposed to work, but I don't think anyone here truly knows because you have to admit their abilities are still too vague and being used a plot crutch by Marvel.

I guess my point is, I wish the stones were featured more prominently in prior films than they actually were. Each of them was essentially a hallow 'mcguffin' as the prior directors seemed to want to kick the can down the road for someone else to delve into.

Overall:
That was my only substantial 'complaint.' I actually did really enjoy the movie. I'll prolly see it again in a few weeks. I'd like to enjoy it in a more peaceful atmosphere.

Brief follow up question; What happened to the gauntlet at the end? seemed like it was all busted up after Thanos killed everyone. Anyone hazard a guess to what that was all about?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Poor Rocket has seen his best friend die twice now.
TajMaballer
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wanda had the terrible task of killing her boyfriend, then seeing him brought back to life only to be killed again!

The tears started flowing when Vision said "You can't hurt me" and only got worse from there.
Farmer1906
AG
Poor Captain America has seen his best friend die twice now.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

i just thought, what if bucky turned to ash, but his vibranium arm fell to the ground at rockets feet. Rocket sheds a tear and said "i didn't mean it"
AliasMan02
AG
TajMaballer said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wanda had the terrible task of killing her boyfriend, then seeing him brought back to life only to be killed again!

The tears started flowing when Vision said "You can't hurt me" and only got worse from there.

Wanda seemed very relieved to die, I thought.
jtstanley4621
AG
So Strange being able to see every possibility with the time stone brings up some interesting sort of paradoxes. If he knew the one outcome where they win, he knew he had to give Thanos the time stone, and he knew that he was going to die.

But now the one person who knew the exact combination of outcomes for them to win is gone. But that must have been the right thing otherwise he wouldn't have done it. But him giving Thanos the time stone and dying was probably an outcome in a large majority of the possibilities he looked into.
AliasMan02
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

So Strange being able to see every possibility with the time stone brings up some interesting sort of paradoxes. If he knew the one outcome where they win, he knew he had to give Thanos the time stone, and he knew that he was going to die.

But now the one person who knew the exact combination of outcomes for them to win is gone. But that must have been the right thing otherwise he wouldn't have done it. But him giving Thanos the time stone and dying was probably an outcome in a large majority of the possibilities he looked into.

Giving him the Time Stone doesn't guarantee they win. They fought and tried to NOT give it to him, but in the end they couldn't avoid walking down that path. They could hand over the stone and still lose.
Living Legend
AG
Where does Marvel go from here? After IW2 are there any other villains/story lines in the MCU that are capable of executing on the level of IW? I LOVED this movie so much. It just seems like anything after this will be anticlimactic.
M.C. Swag
AG
Living Legend said:

Where does Marvel go from here? After IW2 are there any other villains/story lines in the MCU that are capable of executing on the level of IW? I LOVED this movie so much. It just seems like anything after this will be anticlimactic.
Dr. Doom brah
TexasAggie_02
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

him telling people to "do x, then y" probably screws things up. He chose the path where the most favorable outcome could happen and hopes that it plays out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.