*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,354,806 Views | 27148 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by C@LAg
TexasAggie_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

Christ, it's like I am playing cards with my brothers kids or something
TCTTS
AG
That link definitely helped. Thanks.
TexasAggie_02
AG
MBAR said:

TCTTS you came into a thread filled with superfans, told them that you didn't care enough about the movies to follow a central plot of one, then are finding it hard to understand why people are thinking thats odd?

Dude, com'on.
not to mention that he's the OP of the damn thread
TexasAggie_02
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

Wait, where did Loki get the "mind stone"? There were two stones in the first Avengers movie?

• Tesseract (main mcguffin) and The scepter (secondary mucguffin)
  • Scepter was used to control hawkeye. you don't find out that it contained the mind stone until Ultron.

As for the Eye of Agamotto / The Time Stone, I obviously remember its powers, but I couldn't remember if it was an actual stone or if that was just a power that Doctor Strange unlocked.

So, as of now...

- THE TESSERACT (introduced in The Avengers) is currently with Loki aboard the Asguardian ship. That controlled Hawkeye's mind, right? But it's not the mind stone? It's the "space stone"? What's its primary power?
  • Traveling through space

- THE MIND STONE (introduced in The Avengers as well?) is currently... where? In Vision's forehead? I do now remember that happening in Age of Ultron.
  • Yes, It was in loki's scepter

- THE ORB (introduced in Guardians of the Galaxy) is currently with the Nova Corps. This brought back Quill from the brink of death? Is that its power?

- THE AETHER (introduced in Thor: The Dark World) is currently... no idea. For the life of me, I can't remember what it looked like or what it even did.
  • Red flowing liquid. malekith wanted it. it bonded with natalie portman. Lady Sif took it to the collector at the end of The Dark World.

- THE TIME STONE (introduced in Doctor Strange) is currently... where? In New York at Doctor Strange's house?
  • Yes

But then there's also apparently a SOUL STONE that we've never seen? Wouldn't that make for six stones total? I thought there were only five?
  • One for each finger and one on the top of the hand below the knuckles

Also, what was the thing Red Skull was after in Captain America: The First Avenger? Was that a stone or no?
  • Youseriousclark.gif? It was the tesseract. Red Skull was teleported away in the final battle when he touched it bare handed.

Regardless, CLEARLY this hasn't been "spelled out" for me, either in this thread or in the movies themselves, for someone who only casually keeps track of this stuff. I'm actively trying to understand / remember and it's still pretty damn confusing.

TCTTS
AG
MBAR said:

TCTTS you came into a thread filled with superfans, told them that you didn't care enough about the movies to follow a central plot of one, then are finding it hard to understand why people are thinking thats odd?

Dude, com'on.

Ha, I started this thread. I'm a huge fan of the MCU in general. I was just trying to make the point (which someone else made before me) that even as a huge fan, it's a little challenging trying to keep up with all the stones from time to time. I'm not saying Marvel doesn't do a great job at presenting them / laying them out, I'm simply saying that unless you watch these movies more than once, or read up on everything after the fact, it's a little hard not to confuse the stones or remember which one was introduced where. That, and my enjoyment comes more from the heart/vibe/characters. You guys act like I'm attacking you or the MCU and I'm not at all.
TCTTS
AG
I think I've got a handle on it now. This was a big help.

As for the Tesseract being in the first Captain America, it's been seven years since I've seen that movie and I haven't read a word of analysis / recap since. Is it really that hard to believe that someone can't remember what the McGuffin in that movie looked like or did?
MooreTrucker
AG
TCTTS said:

As for the Tesseract being in the first Captain America, it's been seven years since I've seen that movie and I haven't read a word of analysis / recap since. Is it really that hard to believe that someone can't remember what the McGuffin in that movie looked like or did?
Yes, because it played such a key part. It was, IIRC, the reason Cap crashed his plane, so it wouldn't be taken by more bad guys.

Admittedly, I'm a little fuzzy on some details too, but it really was a big part of that movie.
TCTTS
AG
Of course I remember the plot revolving around it / Cap crashing his plane so it wouldn't be taken. But there are SO MANY McGuffin's in these movies that it's hard sometimes to remember that THAT was the Tesseract.
AgMarauder04
AG
TCTTS said:

Of course I remember the plot revolving around it / Cap crashing his plane so it wouldn't be taken. But there are SO MANY McGuffin's in these movies that it's hard sometimes to remember that THAT was the Tesseract.
tbh, with all the movies and the fact that there aren't infinity stones in all of them, it's easy for them to get lost in the shuffle. It's probably going to be the biggest issue with reviewers is to REALLY understand and enjoy the movie, you pretty much have to have seen all the others.
Living Legend
AG

*Edit* Double Post
Living Legend
AG
Living Legend said:

AgMarauder04 said:

TCTTS said:

tbh, with all the movies and the fact that there aren't infinity stones in all of them, it's easy for them to get lost in the shuffle. It's probably going to be the biggest issue with reviewers is to REALLY understand and enjoy the movie, you pretty much have to have seen all the others.
I somewhat disagree with this idea. I don't think reviewers need to know the location of the infinity stones going into the movie, as long as they show Thanos getting the stones in the movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Best scene in the movie.
rhutton125
AG
MooreTrucker said:

TCTTS said:

Yes, because it played such a key part. It was, IIRC, the reason Cap crashed his plane, so it wouldn't be taken by more bad guys.

Admittedly, I'm a little fuzzy on some details too, but it really was a big part of that movie.

Now, this is actually a good example of how it's so easy for the average viewer to forget where these things all are. Cap actually crashes the plane so it won't detonate on the eastern seaboard. The Tesseract burns through the ship and falls into the ocean somewhere before he decides to crash it.

But I agree with the poster above - the movie will explain where these things are and why they're dangerous. Thanos isn't just going to roll in and rely on audiences remembering Malekith the Dark Elf.
MooreTrucker
AG
Living Legend said:

AgMarauder04 said:

TCTTS said:

I somewhat disagree with this idea. I don't think its important to know where the Infinity Stores are before the movie, as long as they show Thanos getting the stones in the movie.
It's not essential, but it is important, I think, because they will tie together all the movies and the dozens of characters.

BTW, what's a McGuffin? I always thought that meant a device used to move the story along that really didn't have any other purpose than to move the story along. I don't think the Infinity Stones would be considered in that light since they are the main focus of IW.
AgMarauder04
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Living Legend said:

AgMarauder04 said:

TCTTS said:

I somewhat disagree with this idea. I don't think its important to know where the Infinity Stores are before the movie, as long as they show Thanos getting the stones in the movie.
It's not essential, but it is important, I think, because they will tie together all the movies and the dozens of characters.

BTW, what's a McGuffin? I always thought that meant a device used to move the story along that really didn't have any other purpose than to move the story along. I don't think the Infinity Stones would be considered in that light since they are the main focus of IW.

It's the trigger. Captain America doesn't happen without the Red Skull and Tasseract, same goes for Thor the Dark World, and the Original GoTG. Since Thanos wants them all, the infinity stones as a whole are definitely mcguffins.
FTACO97
AG
TCTTS said:

So, as of now...

- THE TESSERACT (introduced in The Avengers) is currently with Loki aboard the Asguardian ship. That controlled Hawkeye's mind, right? But it's not the mind stone? It's the "space stone"? What's its primary power?

- THE MIND STONE (introduced in The Avengers as well?) is currently... where? In Vision's forehead? I do now remember that happening in Age of Ultron.

- THE ORB (introduced in Guardians of the Galaxy) is currently with the Nova Corps. This brought back Quill from the brink of death? Is that its power?

- THE AETHER (introduced in Thor: The Dark World) is currently... no idea. For the life of me, I can't remember what it looked like or what it even did.

- THE TIME STONE (introduced in Doctor Strange) is currently... where? In New York at Doctor Strange's house?

But then there's also apparently a SOUL STONE that we've never seen? Wouldn't that make for six stones total? I thought there were only five? Also, what was the thing Red Skull was after in Captain America: The First Avenger? Was that a stone or no?

Regardless, CLEARLY this hasn't been "spelled out" for me, either in this thread or in the movies themselves, for someone who only casually keeps track of this stuff. I'm actively trying to understand / remember and it's still pretty damn confusing.

For the ones you're unclear on:

TESSERACT (SPACE STONE) - was the glowing cube in Captain America First Avenger that Red Skull used. It sank to the bottom of the ocean with Cap and was found by Shield. Shows back up at the start of Avengers and used by Loki to transport to Earth. He then uses it to transport the Chitauri to Earth. Thor took it back to Asgard and put in the vault. Loki took it from the vault in Ragnarok.

MIND STONE - was inside the scepter that Loki had in Avengers. Given to him by Thanos. He used it to control people. Through Hydra taking over Shield, it had fallen into their hands and was used in the creation of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Avengers took it back. Tony Stark and Bruce Banner started screwing with it and it led to the creation of Ultron. Then was put into the forehead of Vision.

ORB (POWER STONE) - was what Ronan was after throughout the film as he was to give it to Thanos. Almost killed Peter Quill but he along with the rest of the gang were able to hold it and put it back in the orb. They gave it to Nova Corps.

AETHER (REALITY STONE) - was the red liquid that took over Jane Foster's body and was making her sick. Dark Elves wanted it to rule the world. At the end Lady Sif took it to the Collector.

TCTTS
AG
Nice. Makes total sense. Thanks!
FTACO97
AG
TCTTS said:

Nice. Makes total sense. Thanks!
Oh and the Eye of Agamotto (Time Stone) - yes that is still in Dr Strange's possession in his Sanctum Sanctorum in NYC.

And, there's a final stone still un-turned :-p which is the Soul Stone. No one knows where it's at. It's all theories right now online. A total of 6 stones that fit into the gauntlet, one for each finger and one on top of the hand.
FTACO97
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

After all the TLJ negativity and negative reviews on other good films, the reviews almost write themselves at this point.

"Why does Thanos want these stones? Where did these stones come from? They should have spent more time establishing these stones...1 star on RT"

TCTTS
Sex Panther
AG
One thing that always confused me is I thought the Tesseract (Cap 1) and the Mind Stone (Loki's Scepter - Avengers 1) were the same thing. They both looked blue, but that's just because the part of Loki's scepter that housed it was blue. The Mind Stone is actually kinda yellow-orange and in Vision's forehead now.

The last stone is a bright yellow. Which is one of the main reasons why the new popular theory looks so strong.
TCTTS
AG
I'm thinking about rewatching a handful of MCU movies over the next couple of months in the lead up to Infinity War. I feel like I have a grasp on the stones now, but as far as the overall story goes, if you guys had to pick, say, five movies to rewatch as a recap/marathon of sorts, what would they be? And it doesn't necessarily even have to be for story, specifically, but perhaps rather to simply fully soak in more of a this-is-how-far-we've-come kind of vibe, but in doing so, hitting as many significant signposts as possible along the way.

So I'm thinking about something along these lines, in this order...

- Captain America: The First Avenger
- Iron Man
- The Avengers
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Captain America: Civil War

All the 2017 movies are super fresh in my mind, but it's been a few years since I've seen any of the others. Should I trade any out? Add another couple? With relatively limited time, and not being able to come anywhere close to knocking out all 18 movies, what would be your strategy?
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I had completely forgot about the Mind Stone in the first Avengers movie. I had remembered it as Loki having stolen the Tesseract and then somehow using the scepter to harness its power or something. Glad to remember now that there were, in fact, two separate stones in that movie.
Farmer1906
AG
Maybe add AOU.

While Iron Man is great, he's been in more movies than anyone. The first one doesn't really directly tie in the IF I don't think. You may want a refresher on Pepper. I think she's supposed to be in IF.
Farmer1906
AG
That is why Hawkeye was his pawn for the first half or so of the movie. Then makes mention of it in AoU.
TCTTS
AG
I just love that first Iron Man so much and even though it doesn't really connect significantly to the rest of the MCU (other than kicking it off, of course), it would be more for the nostalgia factor and just rewatching the thing started it all 10 years ago.

Also, I remember not being a very big AAU fan, and it didn't feel like a very consequential movie in terms of the grand picture at the time, but maybe I need to give it another shot.
FTACO97
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm thinking about rewatching a handful of MCU movies over the next couple of months in the lead up to Infinity War. I feel like I have a grasp on the stones now, but as far as the overall story goes, if you guys had to pick, say, five movies to rewatch as a recap/marathon of sorts, what would they be? And it doesn't necessarily even have to be for story, specifically, but perhaps rather just to fully soak in more of a this-is-how-far-we've-come kind of vibe, but in doing so, hitting as many significant signposts as possible along the way.

So I'm thinking about something along these lines, in this order...

- Captain America: The First Avenger
- Iron Man
- The Avengers
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Captain America: Civil War

All the 2017 movies are super fresh in my mind, but it's been a few years since I've seen any of the others. Should I trade any out? Add another couple? With relatively limited time, and not knocking out all 18 movies, what would be your strategy?
I would certainly agree with that list. Would add the first GotG. Thor 1/2 and Iron Man 2/3 certainly not required viewing. Ant-Man and Age of Ultron aren't either.

I hope to watch through the whole bunch before Infinity War, but I might skip a few.
Sex Panther
AG
I mean, you probably should watch Thor: The Dark World

I've seen it a few times and I think it gets a bad rap. It's definitely not the best but it's not horrible. It's just one of the MCU's weakest. All of Loki and Thor's interactions are great and the whole last fight with world hopping is cool. Also, Thor asking how to get to Greenwich and riding the subway is hilarious.
Brick Tamland
You could just watch all the movies directly involving infinity stones
FTACO97
AG
Sex Panther said:

I mean, you probably should watch Thor: The Dark World

I've seen it a few times and I think it gets a bad rap. It's definitely not the best but it's not horrible. It's just one of the MCU's weakest. All of Loki and Thor's interactions are great and the whole last fight with world hopping is cool. Also, Thor asking how to get to Greenwich and riding the subway is hilarious.
While I think most probably don't or won't like it, I do want to watch it again as I think it deserves a re-watch.
gougler08
AG
It probably deserves a rewatch just because it's the only film to mention the Aether at all, and that will obviously play in to IW somehow
TCTTS
AG
Now you're asking too much of me.

Seriously, though, I do admit that Ragnarok made me want to go back and watch the first two Thor movies. That trilogy might have to be a post-Infinity War binge, though, before the 2019 Avengers.
Kearney McRaven
As a prep course for the next Avenger movie, I would watch the following in this order. If you're still wanting more , then maybe Captain America - The First Avenger.

Avengers 1
GOTG 1
Thor Dark World
Avengers Age of Ultron
Captain America Civil War
GOTG 2 (I was disappointed the first time because so much time was spent on Ego, but it keeps getting better each time I watch it.)
Thor Ragnarok ( torn between this one and GOTG2 as my favorite)

I would add that it is important to watch the extra scenes after the credits.
TexasAggie_02
AG
interesting thought i just had. In Avengers 1, loki tries to take over Tony's mind, but the arc reactor in his chest causes the scepter to have "performance issues." Seems odd that a man-made object could actually shield one from the power of an Infinity Stone.

not to mention, at the end of IM3, tony has the arc reactor removed from his chest, so he is now no longer immune to the mind stone.
Kearney McRaven
I thought Thor 2 was much better after watching Thor Ragnarok
First Page Last Page
Page 222 of 776

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.