*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,359,056 Views | 27171 Replies | Last: 7 sec ago by TCTTS
rhutton125
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It can be easy to miss. The Tesseract and Aether haven't been seen since Thor 2 (2013), aside from a quick Ragnarok look, the Orb was mentioned as being left with the Nova Corps in Guardians 1 (2014), and the Mind Stone was revealed in Age of Ultron (2015). Since Thor 2 and AoU are pretty unpopular, that's a lot of lore left by the wayside.

Also, the Eye of Agamotto is only mentioned as an Infinity Stone in passing at the very end of Doctor Strange. So most of the Infinity Stone hype has come through uber nerds and/or people who have kept an eye out for them since Benecio del Toro explained them in Guardians 1.

Movies that don't contain or prominently feature infinity stones: Iron Man 1-3, Hulk, Captain America 2-3, Thor 1 and 3, Ant-Man, Guardians 2, Spider-Man, Black Panther. So 12 of the 18 MCU films.

I think to a lot of people, they're just unconnected macguffins.
Brick Tamland
Hell, I didn't even know the movies were all one interconnected story line until Civil War. Just thought the heroes made cameos in each other's movies.
redline248
AG
Thanos has been teased since the first Avengers, was a real presence in guardians 1 (the movie in which the infinity stones are explained in detail by Del Toro's character), and after Ultron, Thor tells everyone that with so many stones showing up something bigger is at work. And we have all known for years that Infinity War was about Thanos and the stones.

Have people really not followed this?
Cromagnum
AG
redline248 said:

Thanos has been teased since the first Avengers, was a real presence in guardians 1 (the movie in which the infinity stones are explained in detail by Del Toro's character), and after Ultron, Thor tells everyone that with so many stones showing up something bigger is at work. And we have all known for years that Infinity War was about Thanos and the stones.

This. They have basically hit you over the head for the last 6-7 years that the infinity stones matter and that Thanos is looming in the background.
aTmLoKi
AG
Cromagnum said:

redline248 said:

This. They have basically hit you over the head for the last 6-7 years that the infinity stones matter and that Thanos is looming in the background.
Who is Thanos again?
V8Aggie
AG
aTmLoKi said:

Cromagnum said:

redline248 said:

Who is Thanos again?
This guy right?

FTACO97
AG
rhutton125 said:

Well, you're about to get a whole movie that's central theme is a bunch of "unconnected macguffins".

So a quick rundown of the stones from first seen to where they are now:

http://collider.com/infinity-stones-explained

As for the theory that's been floated the past few pages about the soul stone being with the Sovereign, couldn't disagree more. The Sovereign showed no signs of having the kind of power that the soul stone provides. On top of that, James Gunn has already stated that Adam Warlock has nothing to do with Infinity War. I still lean toward it being with Heimdall or in his sword. He's the only character that has shown abilities with souls across the universe.

AgMarauder04
AG
FTACO97 said:

rhutton125 said:

Well, you're about to get a whole movie that's central theme is a bunch of "unconnected macguffins".

So a quick rundown of the stones from first seen to where they are now:

http://collider.com/infinity-stones-explained

As for the theory that's been floated the past few pages about the soul stone being with the Sovereign, couldn't disagree more. The Sovereign showed no signs of having the kind of power that the soul stone provides. On top of that, James Gunn has already stated that Adam Warlock has nothing to do with Infinity War. I still lean toward it being with Heimdall or in his sword. He's the only character that has shown abilities with souls across the universe.

Didn't T'Challa commune with kings of the past in BP? That seems possible too.
double aught
AG
Cromagnum said:

redline248 said:

Disagree. Rhutton explained it well. This stuff has been background to the main story of every movie, if it was mentioned at all. The only reason I have any idea of the importance of these stones is from reading threads like these. I'm sure most people who watch these movies are mostly oblivious to the stones up to this point.
Living Legend
AG
double aught said:

Cromagnum said:

redline248 said:

Disagree. Rhutton explained it well. This stuff has been background to the main story of every movie, if it was mentioned at all. The only reason I have any idea of the importance of these stones is from reading threads like these. I'm sure most people who watch these movies are mostly oblivious to the stones up to this point.
I think the causal fan would be oblivious to the stones, but i would expect hard core fans to be aware of their existence.
Cromagnum
AG
V8Aggie said:

aTmLoKi said:

Cromagnum said:

redline248 said:

Who is Thanos again?
This guy right?

I think he may know a guy who is an expert on infinity stones.
FTACO97
AG
double aught said:

I would argue both the Tesseract (space stone) and Loki's staff (mind stone) were pretty central to the Avengers story line. The aether (reality stone) was central to the Thor Dark World story, and the power stone was essential to the Guardians of the Galaxy story; which also featured some exposition on the whole group by the Collector. The Eye of Agamotto (time stone) was also featured quite a bit in Dr Strange. So to say people are oblivious to these is to suggest they weren't paying attention.
redline248
AG
double aught said:

Cromagnum said:

redline248 said:

Then those people literally do not pay attention.

The plot of guardians was Thanos seeking the purple stone, and we get this scene:

Then in Age of Ultron, not only do you have Vision being created with the mind stone, you have Thor teasing the threat of so many showing up within a relative short span of time. He has a vision sequence that even shows the 4 we've seen, and the gauntlet.

It has not been subtle
MooreTrucker
AG
FTACO97 said:

double aught said:

I would argue both the Tesseract (space stone) and Loki's staff (mind stone) were pretty central to the Avengers story line. The aether (reality stone) was central to the Thor Dark World story, and the power stone was essential to the Guardians of the Galaxy story; which also featured some exposition on the whole group by the Collector. The Eye of Agamotto (time stone) was also featured quite a bit in Dr Strange. So to say people are oblivious to these is to suggest they weren't paying attention.
You're right about them being central to the stories, but the idea that they are "Infinity Stones" may be what was missed. Folks that didn't connect them will be going "OOooooohhhh, that's what that is". And folks like TC that didn't notice them at all will just be confused.
TexasAggie_02
AG
entertainment weekly has 15 new covers for the next issue

Images Below. I've added enough white space at the bottom of the post, so you can hit "END" to skip it all if you want.

end
fig96
AG
I have a stupid grin on my face right now...
Farmer1906
AG
1. What is up with IM's armor?
2. Bearded Cap is the best Cap.
3. The new arm looks powerful.
4. I like the random team-ups on the cover. A lot of characters you wouldn't see together.
TCTTS
AG
MooreTrucker said:

TCTTS said:

mazag08 said:

TCTTS said:

You're definitely not alone. I've seen every single movie theatrically, a few more than once, and still have no ****ing clue what's going on with the stones, nor do I really care. And I don't mean that in a flippant way, I just love the characters so much that plot has never really mattered to me much with this series.

You have to be literally trying to not know what's going on with the stones after seeing each movie multiple times.

I said I've seen "a FEW more than once." Iron Man, The Avengers, both Guardians, Civil War, and Spider-Man. So very little stone-centric stuff amongst the batch

- Is the Tesseract still in Asgard? Oh, wait, no, Asgard was destroyed. Did they take it with them on that ship at the end of Ragnorok? And Thanos is going to wreck that ship I'm assuming, so I'm assuming he's come for it?

- I remember the Guardians of Galaxy selling one to Benecio del Toro, right? Was that a stone? Absolutely no clue what it was called, what it does, or what it looked like, though.

- And does Vision have one in his forehead or something? If so, how did he get it? Where did it come from? And what does it do? Because I can't remember at all.

That's literally all I can recall about the stones. Does Doctor Strange have one? Was that how he was looping time? Anyone else have one?

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything. I just straight up can't remember much about the stones at all. That's always been the least interesting stuff to me.
interesting. You're the movie expert and yet you missed all of that, while I'm an average movie-going schmuck and I knew all of that. Some of it, though, did get clarified in the threads about the movies on here which is how I knew to pay attention to them.

There have been 18 of these movies over the course of 10 years. It's A LOT to keep track of, especially considering I hardly read about them after the fact. I love the tone and I love the characters, but I've honestly just never been all that invested in the plot of these movies. If being a "movie expert" means having to keep track of infinity stones in the MCU, by all means, rebuke that title from me.

Still, I've read all the replies since that post of mine last night and I'm now more confused than I was before. It sounds like even this thread can't agree on what's going on with the stones and which is which.
jtstanley4621
AG
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I still crack up at how absolutely massive Thanos' head looks without anything on it.

Regardless, my body is ready for this movie to come out already. So many questions that need to be answered.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Quote:

Still, I've read all the replies since that post of mine last night and I'm now more confused than I was before. It sounds like even this thread can't agree on what's going on with the stones and which is which.
multiple posts have spelled it out for you. if you think that they are contradictory, then you are not paying attention, which isn't surprising, since you've already admitted to not paying attention to the movies to begin with
dcaggie04
AG
Quote:

Just say that you don't care about the stones and move on. Everything on here is quite clear if you even put a minimal amount of effort into it. The only thing that is not clear to anyone is what/where is the soul stone since it has not been explicitly introduced in the cinematic universe.
MooreTrucker
AG
The "movie expert" comment wasn't an insult. I just mean that you're better versed in aspects of movie - all the tone and story-telling stuff that you've mentioned in various posts, etc. when discussing if a particular movie (BvS for example) is a "good" movie or not.

And yeah, there is one stone that hasn't been revealed yet and lots of speculation where it is. But the Collider article explains the others pretty well.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Quote:

Guardians tried to sell to benecio, but backed out. They left it with Nova Corps.

Asgardians left the Aether with him.

Tesseract was on asgard, but we know from the infinity war trailer that Loki has it.
Quote:

It can be easy to miss. The Tesseract and Aether haven't been seen since Thor 2 (2013), aside from a quick Ragnarok look, the Orb was mentioned as being left with the Nova Corps in Guardians 1 (2014), and the Mind Stone was revealed in Age of Ultron (2015). Since Thor 2 and AoU are pretty unpopular, that's a lot of lore left by the wayside.

Also, the Eye of Agamotto is only mentioned as an Infinity Stone in passing at the very end of Doctor Strange. So most of the Infinity Stone hype has come through uber nerds and/or people who have kept an eye out for them since Benecio del Toro explained them in Guardians 1.
Quote:

Quote:

Explain how these are contradictory?
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

mazag08 said:

TCTTS said:

You're definitely not alone. I've seen every single movie theatrically, a few more than once, and still have no ****ing clue what's going on with the stones, nor do I really care. And I don't mean that in a flippant way, I just love the characters so much that plot has never really mattered to me much with this series.

You have to be literally trying to not know what's going on with the stones after seeing each movie multiple times.

I said I've seen "a FEW more than once." Iron Man, The Avengers, both Guardians, Civil War, and Spider-Man. So very little stone-centric stuff amongst the batch

- Is the Tesseract still in Asgard? Oh, wait, no, Asgard was destroyed. Did they take it with them on that ship at the end of Ragnorok? And Thanos is going to wreck that ship I'm assuming, so I'm assuming he's come for it?

- I remember the Guardians of Galaxy selling one to Benecio del Toro, right? Was that a stone? Absolutely no clue what it was called, what it does, or what it looked like, though.

- And does Vision have one in his forehead or something? If so, how did he get it? Where did it come from? And what does it do? Because I can't remember at all.

That's literally all I can recall about the stones. Does Doctor Strange have one? Was that how he was looping time? Anyone else have one?

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything. I just straight up can't remember much about the stones at all. That's always been the least interesting stuff to me.
GoG one is literally all about a stone.
redline248
AG
I just think tctts doesn't have a great memory when it comes to movie detail.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Tesseract was on asgard, but we know from the infinity war trailer that Loki has it.
Got it. I remembered as much in my original post.

Quote:

This doesn't explain what the stones are, though, and what they do. I saw Thor: The Dark World once, five years ago, and remember almost nothing about it. What was the Aether?

And so "the Orb" was the McGuffin in the first Guardians, right?

Quote:

Wait, where did Loki get the "mind stone"? There were two stones in the first Avengers movie?

As for the Eye of Agamotto / The Time Stone, I obviously remember its powers, but I couldn't remember if it was an actual stone or if that was just a power that Doctor Strange unlocked.

So, as of now...

- THE TESSERACT (introduced in The Avengers) is currently with Loki aboard the Asguardian ship. That controlled Hawkeye's mind, right? But it's not the mind stone? It's the "space stone"? What's its primary power?

- THE MIND STONE (introduced in The Avengers as well?) is currently... where? In Vision's forehead? I do now remember that happening in Age of Ultron.

- THE ORB (introduced in Guardians of the Galaxy) is currently with the Nova Corps. This brought back Quill from the brink of death? Is that its power?

- THE AETHER (introduced in Thor: The Dark World) is currently... no idea. For the life of me, I can't remember what it looked like or what it even did.

- THE TIME STONE (introduced in Doctor Strange) is currently... where? In New York at Doctor Strange's house?

But then there's also apparently a SOUL STONE that we've never seen? Wouldn't that make for six stones total? I thought there were only five? Also, what was the thing Red Skull was after in Captain America: The First Avenger? Was that a stone or no?

Regardless, CLEARLY this hasn't been "spelled out" for me, either in this thread or in the movies themselves, for someone who only casually keeps track of this stuff. I'm actively trying to understand / remember and it's still pretty damn confusing.
MBAR
AG
I guess I just don't understand watching a movie for characters but being so interested in a plot that its insignificant. I have watched plenty of movies where something other than the plot was the reason I enjoyed it, but I think I still followed the story and understood (or tried to) as much as possible.

I get that people aren't going to know every in and out of a comic book story in an upcoming movie, but I would think that no one should have a problem understanding that the infinity stones are powerful and important at this point in the MCU. I'm honestly not trying to be an ass about it, but I just don't understand how that could be the case.
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

Got it. I remembered as much in my original post.

Quote:

This doesn't explain what the stones are, though, and what they do. I saw Thor: The Dark World once, five years ago, and remember almost nothing about it. What was the Aether?

And so "the Orb" was the McGuffin in the first Guardians, right?

Quote:

Wait, where did Loki get the "mind stone"? There were two stones in the first Avengers movie?

As for the Eye of Agamotto / The Time Stone, I obviously remember its powers, but I couldn't remember if it was an actual stone or if that was just a power that Doctor Strange unlocked.

So, as of now...

- THE TESSERACT (introduced in The Avengers) is currently with Loki aboard the Asguardian ship. That controlled Hawkeye's mind, right? But it's not the mind stone? It's the "space stone"? What's its primary power?

- THE MIND STONE (introduced in The Avengers as well?) is currently... where? In Vision's forehead? I do now remember that happening in Age of Ultron.

- THE ORB (introduced in Guardians of the Galaxy) is currently with the Nova Corps. This brought back Quill from the brink of death? Is that its power?

- THE AETHER (introduced in Thor: The Dark World) is currently... no idea. For the life of me, I can't remember what it looked like or what it even did.

- THE TIME STONE (introduced in Doctor Strange) is currently... where? In New York at Doctor Strange's house?

But then there's also apparently a SOUL STONE that we've never seen? Wouldn't that make for six stones total? I thought there were only five? Also, what was the thing Red Skull was after in Captain America: The First Avenger? Was that a stone or no?

Regardless, CLEARLY this hasn't been "spelled out" for me, either in this thread or in the movies themselves, for someone who only casually keeps track of this stuff. I'm actively trying to understand / remember and it's still pretty damn confusing.

I don't think you need to know where every stone is, or what every stone does as thats what we'll find out in the upcoming movie. If you understand that the stones are powerful and will play a central role in the next movie, that's all you need to know. A lot of the other stuff is comic book fan easter egg level information.
TCTTS
AG
It's 18 MOVIES over 10 YEARS. Ha, why is it so hard for people to grasp that someone can't remember every detail about the damn stones? I watch close to 100 movies a year. My brain simply doesn't have the space to remember what the hell happened with something called "the Aether" in Thor: The Dark World, one of the blandest, most forgettable superhero movies I've ever seen.
double aught
AG
Casual movie fans aren't following all the stuff that you guys have laid out here. You can list examples of the stones being mentioned, but they have primarily been side stories up to this point.
Sex Panther
AG
The aether is a little confusing because it's actually like a liquid and it seems like there's a lot of it. It was the red stuff that Malekith was after and was using. So it'll be somehow contained into a stone.

Here's an article on the stones:

https://nerdist.com/tracking-the-infinity-stones-in-the-marvel-cinematic-universe/

Sex Panther
AG
Marvel is really smart and good at this. I would bet they provide plenty of information in Infinity War for the casual fans so they understand and explain where the stones have been and how they've gotten to Thanos.
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

It's 18 MOVIES over 10 YEARS. Ha, why is it so hard for people to grasp that someone can't remember every detail about the damn stones? I watch close to 100 movies a year. My brain simply doesn't have the space to remember what the hell happened with something called "the Aether" in Thor: The Dark World, one of the blandest, most forgettable superhero movies I've ever seen.
Dude, at this point it's not about 18 stand alone movies in 10 years. It's about 18 movies which are basically episodes in the MCU TV show.

I'm not asking you to remember the Aether, but you said you'd watched GoG multiple times and that has the most involvement of an infinity stone of any Marvel movie. I don't think an expectation that you understand that these stones are important is asking too much.
MooreTrucker
AG
TCTTS said:

So, as of now...

- THE TESSERACT (introduced in The Avengers The first Cap movie) is currently with Loki aboard the Asguardian ship. That controlled Hawkeye's mind, right? Loki controlled Hawkey and that Swedish doctor But it's not the mind stone? It's the "space stone"? What's its primary power?

- THE MIND STONE (introduced in The Avengers as well?) is currently... where? In Vision's forehead? Yep I do now remember that happening in Age of Ultron.

The Aether is that red stuff that Malkeith was using/trying to steal/whatever. Hard to miss. Even if you only paid attention to Natalie Portman cuz she's hot, you saw the Aether. The green stone was in Loki's staff, and I think determined that it was the Mind Stone when Vision got it. The Orb (power stone) was the purple thing that gave Ronan all of his power and was central to the final battle.

Etc. etc. Like I said, they may not have been referred to specifically as the Mind-Power-Time stone, but they were there and sometimes very central to the story (the Aether for example) and referred to specifically by the term shown, and therefore some folks will see it all come together in IW and say "Oh yeah, that's how that works".
MBAR
AG
TCTTS you came into a thread filled with superfans, told them that you didn't care enough about the movies to follow a central plot of one, then are finding it hard to understand why people are thinking thats odd?

Dude, com'on.
First Page Last Page
Page 221 of 777

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.