*** WATCHMEN (HBO) ***

124,222 Views | 1166 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by third coast..
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They do that to cover their asses, not because it's been decided yet.
hph6203
AG
Misunderstood the contention, I can't see HBO dumping a show with reviews as good as Watchmen and viewership that isn't exactly bad. They're starving for another show to fill the gap of Game of Thrones, and this won't get them there, but it's a hell of a lot better and more promising than Westworld. I want more of this, I couldn't bring myself to even watch the season 2 premiere of Westworld.
mazag08
AG
hph6203 said:

Misunderstood the contention, I can't see HBO dumping a show with reviews as good as Watchmen and viewership that isn't exactly bad. They're starving for another show to fill the gap of Game of Thrones, and this won't get them there, but it's a hell of a lot better and more promising than Westworld. I want more of this, I couldn't bring myself to even watch the season 2 premiere of Westworld.

Uh..

West world is absolutely taking over as the premiere show in Game if Thrones slot, and is definitely a fantastic show.

Haters gonna hate though..
TCTTS
AG
On this, we agree. Season three looks insanely awesome, and feels like they've learned from the "mistakes" of seasons past (i.e. not going quite as complicated structurally/story-wise, even though I personally loved that aspect). I don't think Westworld will ever be quite the massive hit HBO wants it to be, but it's no doubt their flagship show right now, and I think will surprise a lot of people next year.
mazag08
AG
TCTTS said:

On this, we agree. Season three looks insanely awesome, and feels like they've learned from the "mistakes" of seasons past (i.e. not going quite as complicated structurally/story-wise, even though I personally loved that aspect). I don't think Westworld will ever be quite the massive hit HBO wants it to be, but it's no doubt their flagship show right now, and I think will surprise a lot of people next year.

We agree on a lot brother. You're just a little wacky at times.
TCTTS
AG
I prefer "passionate," but you're probably right.
MBAR
AG
Hey...so.. um said:

TCTTS said:

Hey...so.. um said:

TCTTS said:

I think when people say "embarrassment" what they really mean is "empathy." You have one side saying, "Acknowledge that this happened. Acknowledge that it still affects the world today." And then on the other side you have people giving a version of the comment you're giving, by flippantly responding, "So what? I had nothing to do with that." And then both sides escalate from there. But there's a way to respond without sounding so cold, with just a simple injection of empathy to help contextualize your position. Because the more you essentially respond with a perceived "Get over it" attitude, the more the other side is going to want to keep reminding you that it happened.

Empathy is a much better word. I have empathy for anyone that was ever mistreated or deals with internal or external demons. My response is still essentially get over it. Go make something of yourself, defy your or others preconceived notions and don't become a statistic.

I think the whole point of the black community's complaints at times is to essentially point out that this sentiment isn't nearly as easy as you make it out to be. Are some injustices only perceived? Yes. Do some of these people play the victim too much? Absolutely. But that doesn't change the fact that there *are* still deep-rooted systematic disadvantages at play. "Just work harder" is such a flippant cop out that doesn't come close to acknowledging the myriad ways someone *can* work hard and still have the system fail them.

Very true. No where did I say it was easy, but there are tons of examples of people overcoming challenges. My parents both grew up very poor. I didnt, but only because my parents overcame their challenges.

I would also argue that many of the systematic disadvantages are culture and economic based and skin color is just an excuse created by correlation. Too many people confuse correlation and causation.
I would argue that you have absolutely zero expertise in the matter rendering your opinion not worth very much in this matter. I'm honestly, not trying to be a jerk, but I don't go to a cardiologist when I need a new timing chain in my car and I sure as hell don't come to TexAgs when I need educated and informed opinions on what is holding back minorities in this country. Hint: Its not about perception and there are countless quantified empirical data that back this up (not that it ever stops anyone from offering up viewpoints not grounded in reality here).

Correlation doesn't equal causation (and the immediate spouting of this phrase is how its easy to spot someone who is speaking out of their ass) but correlation with addition of provable and demonstrable mechanisms sure as hell does equal causation.

Its fine to not understand things. It is not fine to act like an uninformed and ignorant opinion is worth a damn.
MBAR
AG
mazag08 said:

hph6203 said:

Uh..

West world is absolutely taking over as the premiere show in Game if Thrones slot, and is definitely a fantastic show.

Haters gonna hate though..
Westworld is an entertaing show and I've very much enjoyed it but its writing leaves a lot to be desired at times. At its peak, it doesn't come close to the same level of storytelling that Watchman has achieved.

As far as a show with a broad appeal that is probably the best on HBO right now, that's Succession. Westworld is at best 3rd.
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

You really think its their flagship over Succession?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
MBAR said:

TCTTS said:

You really think its their flagship over Succession?

Succession is my favorite show on HBO, and my favorite show on TV right now period, or even of the last few years. I love it so much. And it is absolutely HBO's critical darling. But HBO started advertising season three of Westworld with the first teaser trailer this past May. And the season won't even debut until March 2020 at the earliest. I've never seen them release a trailer that far in advance, not even for Game of Thrones. Since then, in July, they then released a massive three-minute Comic-Con trailer, and then a viral video trailer just last month. Again, this is all despite the fact that they still haven't announced an official debut date yet, which is months away. They're marketing this season on an unprecedented scale, and the footage itself looks like it costs an absolute fortune. There's no way it's not their flagship/priority right now, in terms of shows that are actively on their slate (as I'm sure the Game of Thrones spinoff will take the cake again once it hits).
hph6203
AG
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Westworld Season 1, but that show to me was on the same level as Big Little Lies. I really enjoyed it, but had no interest in a second season once it was done. Big Little Lies fits that description better than Westworld.

The problem with Westworld is that half the characters are meant to be kind of flat, because they're scripted Androids growing into full fledged characters for half+ of the season, so by the end of it I just want to see what's going on in the show and once you understand it there's no reason to keep going.
hph6203
AG
Hey...so.. um said:

TCTTS said:

Hey...so.. um said:

TCTTS said:

I think when people say "embarrassment" what they really mean is "empathy." You have one side saying, "Acknowledge that this happened. Acknowledge that it still affects the world today." And then on the other side you have people giving a version of the comment you're giving, by flippantly responding, "So what? I had nothing to do with that." And then both sides escalate from there. But there's a way to respond without sounding so cold, with just a simple injection of empathy to help contextualize your position. Because the more you essentially respond with a perceived "Get over it" attitude, the more the other side is going to want to keep reminding you that it happened.

Empathy is a much better word. I have empathy for anyone that was ever mistreated or deals with internal or external demons. My response is still essentially get over it. Go make something of yourself, defy your or others preconceived notions and don't become a statistic.

I think the whole point of the black community's complaints at times is to essentially point out that this sentiment isn't nearly as easy as you make it out to be. Are some injustices only perceived? Yes. Do some of these people play the victim too much? Absolutely. But that doesn't change the fact that there *are* still deep-rooted systematic disadvantages at play. "Just work harder" is such a flippant cop out that doesn't come close to acknowledging the myriad ways someone *can* work hard and still have the system fail them.

Very true. No where did I say it was easy, but there are tons of examples of people overcoming challenges. My parents both grew up very poor. I didnt, but only because my parents overcame their challenges.

I would also argue that many of the systematic disadvantages are culture and economic based and skin color is just an excuse created by correlation. Too many people confuse correlation and causation.

The economic characteristics of your parents has less impact on your future success than your IQ, and your IQ has a lot to do with how involved your parent(s) was/were in your early development years. If you grow up with uneducated or undereducated parent(s) your capacity for pulling bootstraps and making something of yourself is, on average, lower than if your parents were educated but poor.

It is important for society to do two contradictory things. To emphasize that your circumstances do not dictate the outcomes for your life, but it's also important to recognize that on the whole they tend to. In other words, try to find a balance between you can do it, but we recognize it's harder for you. And ideally put those people in a position where they don't have to worry about how they're going to eat or where they're going to live, because being poor, quite literally, makes you "dumber" (it makes your capacity for sound decision making lower).
Hey...so.. um
hph6203 said:

Hey...so.. um said:

TCTTS said:

Hey...so.. um said:

TCTTS said:

The economic characteristics of your parents has less impact on your future success than your IQ, and your IQ has a lot to do with how involved your parent(s) was/were in your early development years. If you grow up with uneducated or undereducated parent(s) your capacity for pulling bootstraps and making something of yourself is, on average, lower than if your parents were educated but poor.

It is important for society to do two contradictory things. To emphasize that your circumstances do not dictate the outcomes for your life, but it's also important to recognize that on the whole they tend to. In other words, try to find a balance between you can do it, but we recognize it's harder for you. And ideally put those people in a position where they don't have to worry about how they're going to eat or where they're going to live, because being poor, quite literally, makes you "dumber" (it makes your capacity for sound decision making lower).

I don't disagree with anything you said on the surface, unless you are implying that we should provide housing and food to everyone for free. Because we all know free means the middle class pays for it, and by middle class, I mean upper middle class, 50-80 percentile folks. Until you change inner city and backwoods culture, people will just take more and more never be satisfied.
claym711
AG
Quote:

I would argue that you have absolutely zero expertise in the matter rendering your opinion not worth very much in this matter.

Its fine to not understand things. It is not fine to act like an uninformed and ignorant opinion is worth a damn.

Quote:

Westworld is an entertaing show and I've very much enjoyed it but its writing leaves a lot to be desired at times. At its peak, it doesn't come close to the same level of storytelling that Watchman has achieved.

As far as a show with a broad appeal that is probably the best on HBO right now, that's Succession. Westworld is at best 3rd.

Lol
BenFiasco14
AG
hph6203 said:

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Westworld Season 1, but that show to me was on the same level as Big Little Lies. I really enjoyed it, but had no interest in a second season once it was done. Big Little Lies fits that description better than Westworld.

The problem with Westworld is that half the characters are meant to be kind of flat, because they're scripted Androids growing into full fledged characters for half+ of the season, so by the end of it I just want to see what's going on in the show and once you understand it there's no reason to keep going.
WW season 3 looks cool but my problem with the show is that it's essentially an entirely different show at this point. What made season 1 so awesome was completely abandoned in 2, replaced with this cerebral mind puzzle that was, frankly, almost impossible to follow without referencing discussion boards and the like. Now, season 3 looks Bladerunner-esque. I feel like the show needs to find its identity.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
claym711
AG
WW S1 was just as mysterious as S2, and S2 was natural follow up in the story - what happens after gaining sentience / losing innocence with availability of choice. I agree S2 wasn't as good, but not for the same reasons.
mazag08
AG
hph6203 said:

You could have just said you are impatient and lack imagination.
hph6203
AG
Really don't see how impatience has anything to do with it. I don't care if the androids get their citizenship/freedom, because I didn't care that much about their characters beyond what was causing them to act strangely.

I enjoyed the show, but what I enjoyed about it wasn't going to stretch into the next season so I stopped. I think that's true for a lot of people. It's why the season finale for season 2 barely beat the season low point for season 1.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Westworld Season 1 is cool because you see the ahole humans go down, and the time jump is a crazy reveal.

Westworld season 2 turns Dolores into Hitler, yet still wants you to treat her as the good guy.
Duncan Idaho
Quote:

..look at the bad white man who couldn't resist spoiling paradise with his god complex and enslaving...

Lol wat?
JCRiley09
AG
It would be cool if they continued watchmen, but in a fashion similar to True Detective. A completely separate story within the same universe. That may not work since some of the original characters are involved with this story, but maybe show us a different part of the country immediately after the squid bomb. Or show us something from ten years after this season where the events of Tulsa have ripple effects well down the road in Seattle or some place random like that.
TCTTS
AG
That could be pretty cool. If there is a season two, I think they at least take it out of Tulsa. With The Leftovers, Lindelof basically set each of the three seasons in three separate cities/locations, but kept most of the same cast, and it worked brilliantly. So there's precedent, at least. I'd love to see the show move the setting back to New York, as New York truly feels the most "Watchmen" to me.
Duncan Idaho
I agree they will be done with Tulsa and it wont be in the next season. My guess is international. Either Asia or south America
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It will be set in Nacogdoches and focused on why women don't receive equal pay.
Duncan Idaho
I am going to back track a bit and say London.

HBO production values are too high to have not have the dialogue in the native tongue but I dont think their audience is sophisticated/dedicated enough to read subtitles.
Sex Panther
AG
I'm guessing season 2 would have Nite Owl in some capacity
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
MW03
AG
I haven't read the thread since the episode aired, as I was only now able to watch it. But it's pretty obvious at this point that Angela is the new Dr. Manhattan, right? The conversation about biological material? The sex scene? That she desperately wants a family, then Ozy calling the planet his 8 billion children? The conversation about Dr. Manhattan not knowing he could use his powers?

That's why the show has been about her. Manhattan talking about regret for Vietnam, and then Angela talking about what that decision had personally cost her. Then, her getting all of her grandfather's memories and his perspective, too.

I'm convinced this is an origin story. They took Hooded Justice's granddaughter and are going to make her the next god. Manhattan has to get her into position where the senator is going to use the machine to become Manhattan, then die in a way that ends up with that machine being a catalyst for making her the new Manhattan. Otherwise, nothing about this show makes any sense whatsoever.

Only question left for me is if Manhattan let Will in on his plan, and did Will seek out Trieu to assist him.
TCTTS
AG
Damn it, I think you're right.
mazag08
AG
I'm sorry, I just can't fathom that actress being a Manhattan like God. She's too.. sarcastic..

I'll give it a chance though.
fig96
AG
Keep in mind that Manhattan wasn't always Manhattan though. Jon was a regular guy till he had his particles displaced.
TCTTS
AG
Great as always.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.