*** WATCHMEN (HBO) ***

123,758 Views | 1166 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by third coast..
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FBI is hardly the beacon of righteous law enforcement, these days. Especially while they and the media ignore antifa.

There are more believers of Marx and Zao in this country than the KKK
BenFiasco14
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, you're right. Except for all the mass shooters who quote white supremacy doctrine, the "hundreds" of documented hate groups - from "white nationalists" to "neo-Confederates" to "neo-Nazis" to "skinheads" - that still exist, Charlottsville, and the fact that the FBI claimed this year that "a majority of the domestic terrorism cases that we've investigated are motivated by some version of what you might call white supremacist violence," sure, white supremacists groups have no influence at all.

Give me a break.

And if anything, it sounds like CNN is the one triggering you.
The amount of damage that white supremacists have done is dwarfed by legitimate hate groups and terrorists. It's just anytime there is one out there, it's wall to wall coverage nonstop to frame a narrative that you have obviously bought into.

I can say white supremacists are evil, some DO exist, and it's a horrible ideology AND make the claim that the narrative surrounding it is massively, MASSIVELY overblown and narrative driven. Both statements can be true at the same time.

It's clear nobody's minds are going to be changed here, and that's fine. But when I see posts like the one I initially responded to that take this ominous prose like white supremacy or "white nationalism" (a completely made up term from your buddies at cnn and the like) are this pressing, existential threat that is pervading society it just makes me roll my eyes and laugh at some folks gullibility.

FYI, my signature is mostly an inside joke. However I do truly despise cnn. But I never watch/read it, so I can safely avoid being triggered.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Me curious to see new posts in this thread and then.....

Teddy Perkins
AG
DP
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Hey...so.. um
TCTTS: Stick to entertainment and stay out of politics. Living in LA has given you a narrow and narrative based view of things.

Your movie and show takes are great. There is a reason why you dont post on the politics board and why BenFiasco is a respected member of that forum.

Staff: please delete both of their comments about politics. It adds nothing to the conversation.
redline248
AG
Now you've done it
Duncan Idaho
don't you understand. Discussing the central themes and topics brought up by a show is not discussing the show and is completely tangential. ....especially if they are topics that make me feel uncomfortable.

Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

You seriously don't believe that there are currently white supremacist groups in this country??? Posts like your are EXACTLY what I was talking about earlier. Then again, we've been over this before, but I would expect nothing less from someone with a signature such as yours.

TC, allow me to respectfully, slightly disagree...

I'm with Ben on this one. White Supremacists/Nationalism is such an inflated narrative-driven boogeyman "issue". Do they exist? Of course... Are they complete scum? Absolutely... Do they have any real influence? Give me a break... but like Ben said, the media and far left wing politicians make it seem like they are the number one threat to American safety, and it's a complete joke.

Look, this show is absolutely amazing. I love it, and think it might be the best show of the year. But I hated the first episode, and decided to hang in there specifically because you asked the board to wait and see where they go with the white supremacist angle. And I'm obviously glad I did... But this show is not an isolated incident, and that's why I think people have an issue. I am constantly hit over the head with very subtle to not so subtle references and depictions in all forms of media of white men essentially being bad and evil. I honestly don't know how anyone could say that isn't true... I'd hope that my track record on this board and what I consider to be a very reasonable/moderate right-leaning outlook would earn me the benefit of the doubt.

And I don't think its fair to shout down people who make these statements on this thread. I have seen nothing over the top or out of line. It's a discussion board, and one of the central themes of this show is racism. Just because some of the posters frequent forum 16 and have clearly right-wing outlooks, doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to give their opinions... Some of my best friends are HUGE liberals, and we don't see eye to eye on lots of things, but we're still good friends and I enjoy hearing their perspective as it helps me see where they're coming from on issues and usually leads to both sides understanding the other a little more with empathy and not disdain.
amercer
AG
Hey...so.. um said:

There is a reason why you dont post on the politics board and why BenFiasco is a respected member of that forum.

Ah yes, the tallest midget.
Duncan Idaho
How the hell could you hate the first episode?
amercer
AG
Sex Panther said:

TCTTS said:

You seriously don't believe that there are currently white supremacist groups in this country??? Posts like your are EXACTLY what I was talking about earlier. Then again, we've been over this before, but I would expect nothing less from someone with a signature such as yours.

I'm with Ben on this one. White Supremacists/Nationalism is such an inflated narrative-driven boogeyman "issue". Do they exist? Of course... Are they complete scum? Absolutely... Do they have any real influence? Give me a break... but like Ben said, the media and far left wing politicians make it seem like they are the number one threat to American safety, and it's a complete joke.

Yes they are a boogie man.

But so are:

Drug cartels
Islamic terrorists
The mob
Street gangs
And pretty much every other bad guy group you could use in a story.

None of those groups are a daily threat to me, or an existential threat to the survival of the country. They are all really bad, and terrible for the small number of folks that do run into them, but for Joe 6-Pack the chances of ever interacting with them is close to nil.

And I just don't see this constant anti-white guy propaganda . I assume most people here are of a similar demographic and consume somewhat similar media. I'm sure if you spend a day watching MSNBC (or Fox News quoting it) there will lots of race discussions, but in entertainment I don't feel bombarded with white guy bad messages.
BenFiasco14
AG
amercer said:

Hey...so.. um said:

There is a reason why you dont post on the politics board and why BenFiasco is a respected member of that forum.

Ah yes, the tallest midget.
Here you go lil fella

amercer
AG
Do you have one in Baby Yoda?
BenFiasco14
AG
amercer said:

Do you have one in Baby Yoda?
Sold out. Don't worry though, it's gonna hit peak popularity soon then will be available everywhere
TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther said:

TCTTS said:

Look, this show is absolutely amazing. I love it, and think it might be the best show of the year. But I hated the first episode, and decided to hang in there specifically because you asked the board to wait and see where they go with the white supremacist angle. And I'm obviously glad I did... But this show is not an isolated incident, and that's why I think people have an issue. I am constantly hit over the head with very subtle to not so subtle references and depictions in all forms of media of white men essentially being bad and evil. I honestly don't know how anyone could say that isn't true... I'd hope that my track record on this board and what I consider to be a very reasonable/moderate right-leaning outlook would earn me the benefit of the doubt.

And I don't think its fair to shout down people who make these statements on this thread. I have seen nothing over the top or out of line. It's a discussion board, and one of the central themes of this show is racism. Just because some of the posters frequent forum 16 and have clearly right-wing outlooks, doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to give their opinions... Some of my best friends are HUGE liberals, and we don't see eye to eye on lots of things, but we're still good friends and I enjoy hearing their perspective as it helps me see where they're coming from on issues and usually leads to both sides understanding the other a little more with empathy and not disdain.

One of the most challenging things about posting here in the current "climate," or whatever you want to call it, is trying to determine which complaints about this kind of stuff (Hollywood politics, race, etc) are genuine, and are truly worthy of calling Hollywood out vs. the "complaints" from people who are doing nothing more than actively looking to b*tch, be offended, start fires, create soapboxes to spew their bias, etc. Admittedly, because there are increasingly so many voices here who are part of the latter group, I tend to sometimes "shout down" or unfairly group those I shouldn't who are part of the former group. They all become "one side" to me and I should no doubt practice what I preach and aim for more nuance in determining the difference. For that, I apologize.

But in this particular instance, the guy who started this latest tangent (if you want to call it that, even though I think it's fair game in this thread since it's what the show is partly about) was claym711 with his "white supremacist dumbassery" comment, and claym711 has such a hatred for me that it borders on obsession. In the past, the lengths he has gone to to call me out are honestly creepy, so it's hard not to reciprocate in the extreme at times. Then there's BenFiasco14, who, I'm sorry, I just can't take seriously with a signature like his, even if he claims it's somewhat tongue in cheek (which doesn't make complete sense, but whatever). I mean, I'm dealing with someone who has such a hatred for CNN that he chose to make his signature about it, but then in the very next post admits he doesn't even watch CNN. In other words, these are the kind of people I'm usually dealing with in these threads, so it's hard to sometimes reel it back when engaging with the more level-headed of the bunch who have genuine concerns. (And for the record, truth be told, Ben at least attempts to explain himself and make an effort to engage, so I probably shouldn't be so hard on him either.)

As for the heart of the matter, I'm sorry, but I'm with amercer 100% on this one (a couple posts above). I agree with you (SP) and others that white supremacy isn't sweeping the nation or anything like that, but I do believe it to be an issue worth confronting and examining, and I don't see it as any different than the other topics amercer listed. So I think it's totally fine to inject into something like Watchmen in the way Lindelof is doing. Again, if you want to see exactly how NOT to do it, go watch Queen & Slim. To me, sh*t like that is where forum 16 frequenters should be aiming their ire, and I'd be right there with them. That said, as hard as it is for me to not group all Hollywood complainers into one stereotype bucket, as I mentioned yesterday, it's seemingly equally as hard to sift through which of these shows/movies are sincere in their efforts to engage in politics, race, etc, so I understand the impulse to want to b*tch about it all equally.

In short, I'll try to exercise more nuance and I hope those on the "other side" can do so as well.
amercer
AG
So getting back to the show (unclear if that's possible )

I do wonder how they are planning to kill/become dr Manhattan. Veidt "killed" him in the comics but he was able to reform pretty quickly.

And at least for me, the idea I got from the comics was that he was only able to become Dr Manhattan in the first place because of some extra ordinary mental abilities that he used to keep himself together after the accident with the intrinsic field generator. So I don't think the senator should be able to just transform himself by stepping into the machine. But I guess we'll see.
TCTTS
AG
What it's just as "simple" as the senator becoming "Evil Doctor Manhattan" and trying to kill him with his newfound powers?
TCTTS
AG
Place your bets. How will Doctor Manhattan be portrayed this Sunday (and going forward)? From the preview, it sounds like Yahya Abdul-Mateen (Cal) voices him, but we still haven't really seen him...

A) Yahya Abdul-Mateen (Cal) in blue makeup

B) Yahya Abdul-Mateen (Cal) in blue CGI (ala Billy Crudup in the movie)

C) Tom Mison (the butler clone) in blue makeup

D) Tom Mison (the butler clone) in blue CGI

E) "Generic" Doctor Manhattan CGI / resembles no particular actor
TCTTS
AG
C@LAg said:

Is this official artwork? Because if so, that looks a hell of a lot like Tom Mison. It'll be super weird if he looks like Mison but is voiced by Yahya Abdul-Mateen.
amercer
AG
Maybe. Still although no one in the comic had super powers, it was clear that they were all exceptional humans in some way (like Batman, borderline super speed, strength, intelligence) and I got that vibe from pre-Manhattan Jon as well. So it would be a little odd if just anyone can step into the magic science box and get those powers. (Plus it would raise the question of why this hadn't been done by everyone in the last 30 years)
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, good point.
redline248
AG
Putting an actor in blueface can't possibly be a bad idea
fig96
AG
Hey...so.. um said:

TCTTS: Stick to entertainment and stay out of politics. Living in LA has given you a narrow and narrative based view of things.

Your movie and show takes are great. There is a reason why you dont post on the politics board and why BenFiasco is a respected member of that forum.

Staff: please delete both of their comments about politics. It adds nothing to the conversation.
I'd imagine his reason is like mine, that's there's no reason to post in an echo chamber. Acting like his view is narrow while talking about the Politics board is more than a bit ironic.

Your comments aren't adding anything either, for the record, go play policeman somewhere else.
fig96
AG
I'm leaning towards D or E, I feel like the Cal body is more of a coverup than an actual persona for Manhattan. If he had actually looked like him wouldn't Cal be somewhat recognizable?

I'm also curious how blue guy walking around in urban Vietnam is going to work without people treating him like one of the Beatles, but I guess we'll find out.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, same. Definitely hoping for D or E. It's tough, because I think the movie actually got Doctor Manhattan so incredibly right - from Billy Crudup's monotone voice to the way he slightly glows, etc. It was perfect. But from what we've seen so far of the show's version, I'm a little worried they're going to screw him up.
redline248
AG
So Cal being Dr M raises the question of how old was the news footage in Ep1 of him building castles on Mars

Not that it's very important
TCTTS
AG
Or if it's even real footage...
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, same. Definitely hoping for D or E. It's tough, because I think the movie actually got Doctor Manhattan so incredibly right - from Billy Crudup's monotone voice to the way he slightly glows, etc. It was perfect. But from what we've seen so far of the show's version, I'm a little worried they're going to screw him up.

I feel the same way... I think it's going to be D. I said a while back, I thought the Tom Mison clone character was Jon Osterman before the accident, and I feel more confident about it now. I think it will be weird though with Abdul-Mateen doing the voice. Hopefully this doesn't come off wrong, but I don't know any other way to say it, but he sounds like a black guy. And if its actually Mateen in makeup/CGI that would make even less sense.

I also am worried they're going to screw the character up. I mean, its a very, very difficult character to portray regardless, because boy is he intricate and layered... but Crudup did a really great job. The short dialogue in the preview of him talking to Angela just didn't seem like Dr. Manhattan though to me at least
TCTTS
AG
Right there with you. And yeah, I'll say it, I don't want white John Osterman/Doctor Manhattan with a "black guy voice" either. Not for any racial reason, obviously, but just because I think it'd be pretty disorienting. That, and yeah, what little we've heard of Abdul-Mateen as Manhattan just didn't sound right. It didn't sound like we've been led to believe - even outside of the movie - what Doctor Manhattan might sound like. I've said before that I think Abdul-Mateen is a great actor, and his performance so far has actually made me more excited for the next Matrix movie, but I'm concerned as I am curious about how this is even going work.
mazag08
AG
Sex Panther said:

TCTTS said:

This.
amercer
AG
TCTTS said:

Or if it's even real footage...

I hadn't thought of it before, but that could have been from the American Hero Story show....
TCTTS
AG
Oooh, yeah, good point.
BenFiasco14
AG
fig96 said:

Hey...so.. um said:

I'd imagine his reason is like mine, that's there's no reason to post in an echo chamber. Acting like his view is narrow while talking about the Politics board is more than a bit ironic.

Your comments aren't adding anything either, for the record, go play policeman somewhere else.
Then neither did this comment. Of course, you had to get your swipe in to f16, where, if you're actually coherent in an opposing argument, you can get and engage in meaningful discussion.

Speaking of policemen... sorry, not to offend, speaking of "policepersons"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.