*** WATCHMEN (HBO) ***

123,751 Views | 1166 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by third coast..
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
easttexasaggie04 said:

I try to tell my "non nerdy" friends about this show but it's so hard to explain without them saying WTF are you talking about?

Squid rain isnt a universal trope?
easttexasaggie04
AG
haha. I don't even try to go there.
JJxvi
AG
nm
The Debt
claym711 said:

I'm in because I was a big Lost and Leftovers fan but the boring stereotypes of racial violence and that as the backdrop of the show is cheap and boring and a total let down.

Hollywood thinks there is a market for that stuff...

Only way to send em a message is to not watch.
amercer
AG
Watched the first 2 episodes last night and I'm all in.

Thanks for all the discussion on here to fill in the gaps. I've read the comic and seen the movie, but the show really does toss you straight into WTF land.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
TCTTS said:

It's definitely a continuation of the comic.

For those unaware, it was secretly Ozymandias (Jeremy Irons, presumably) who made a giant, building-size squid (via his team of scientists) and transported/beamed it via Doctor Manhattan-made tech to New York, killing three million people in 1985. That was the big, end-comic event that kept the world from nuclear war (which was Ozymandias' plan all along - to kill three million in order to save billions). However, most of the world still believes that it was an actual giant, alien squid from another dimension. Most people don't know that it was Ozymandias who was behind it all, though there are plenty of rumblings, obviously, that it might have been a hoax. So the mini squids falling from the sky in the pilot are either some kind of residual occurrence from the initial '85 hoax - or - Ozymandias is somehow making it rain mini squid to make it seam like a residual occurrence.

That was my take, anyway. Anyone else have any alternate takes?

Doesn't the comic end like the movie ends with Rorschach's journal arriving at a newspaper? I thought that was supposed to infer that the truth about the squid and Oxymandius would come out?

It hasn't been super relevant yet, but I have been wondering about that.
Thanks and gig'em
TCTTS
AG
Go back to page 7. My lengthy post toward the top. The third bullet point explains this.

Short answer: the newspaper that published the journal was a far-right fringe paper that no one took seriously. In other words, most people thought it was #FakeNews, while those like The Seventh Cavalry believe it.
YouBet
AG
I didn't realize this had started. I plan to watch it since I've read the graphic novel and seen the movie.

But I have to admit I groaned hard when I heard an interview this week with someone from the show stating that they are using this show to address racial issues.

Jesus Christ. Do we have to address race in everything now?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Ah thanks! I hadn't looked that far back.
Thanks and gig'em
TCTTS
AG
https://instagr.am/p/B4Xo_8UlBl3
fig96
AG
YouBet said:

I didn't realize this had started. I plan to watch it since I've read the graphic novel and seen the movie.

But I have to admit I groaned hard when I heard an interview this week with someone from the show stating that they are using this show to address racial issues.

I mean, if you don't like it then don't watch.

It's definitely a central issue of the show, but it's also a very relevant issue for a lot of people right now and it's really not addressed that much in media and film relative to the whole.
YouBet
AG
fig96 said:

YouBet said:

It's definitely a central issue of the show, but it's also a very relevant issue for a lot of people right now and it's really not addressed that much in media and film relative to the whole.
It's only relevant because it's a manufactured crisis, but let's not derail to politics because everyone will get mad.
BenFiasco14
AG
fig96 said:

YouBet said:

Surely you're being sarcastic ??
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
fig96
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

fig96 said:

YouBet said:

Count how many shows there are, then count how many address racial issues. I'm comfortable saying that's a pretty small percentage. People just notice when they do.
TCTTS
AG
I have little hope that his thread is going to be tenable by season's end. Or for even another couple of episodes. You can already feel it simmering. Some of these people would rather b*tch and moan than simply not watch or post.
fig96
AG
You are unfortunately probably correct.
fig96
AG
YouBet said:

fig96 said:

YouBet said:

It's only relevant because it's a manufactured crisis, but let's not derail to politics because everyone will get mad.
Most folks in here would be happy to talk about the related politics in a respectful manner with people who are interested in the topic as it pertains to the show.

What would unfortunately happen, however, is that it will either regress into name calling or attract a bunch of folks who never post here that just want to have their opinion heard and not actually discuss anything. So in that respect, yeah, I'd rather not.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
This was one of the ****tiest things I've seen in my life. Just awful.

Why can't woke writers create a new franchise instead of hijacking good ones and ass ****ing them?

B/c that would require having talent.

Stupid.
Stupid.
Stupid.

Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
TCTTS
AG
You're just hitting all the threads at once with your hate-filled diatribes, aren't you?
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
TCTTS said:

You're just hitting all the threads at once with your hate-filled diatribes, aren't you?

It's been a rough weekend entertainment wise.

But my Joker review is very positive. So it's not all venom.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
TCTTS
BenFiasco14
AG
fig96 said:

BenFiasco14 said:

fig96 said:

YouBet said:

Count how many shows there are, then count how many address racial issues. I'm comfortable saying that's a pretty small percentage. People just notice when they do.

I suppose that would depend on how you define "racial issues". If by that you mean blatant "look at these terrible White people in a white supremacist group" then perhaps not. However I'd argue the vast majority of shows on today touch on not just racial issues but all sorts of things political, either blatant or subtlety. Watchmen is just wielding the white supremacy boogeyman as an obnoxiously large club.

That being said I'm still enjoying the show and I recently picked up the graphic novel to read. I'm only a few chapters in, though, and have yet to come across any themes about race and white supremacy. I've read on Reddit it was in the comic but I haven't seen it yet (the comic is great so far btw)

It's just frustrating because "white supremacy" is the current boogeyman of the day and this show has kinda taken it to an absurd extreme- and unless it's a front for something more to come down the line, it's clearly a commentary on what leftists perceive as a contemporary issue which is laughably false.
fig96
AG
I mean, the show exists in a world where Robert Redford has been president for almost 20 years and Vietnam is a US state...taking things to an absurd extreme is sort of the theme.

Personally, I don't have any issue with it. I'd think (hope) that an extremist white supremacist group as the villain would be something we could pretty universally unite against, and whether you like it or not it's a present day topic because we've seen a rise in that kind of activity recently.

Not looking to debate that (particularly in this thread) so if you disagree, well, to each their own.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

An extremist White Supremacist group is often the bad guy in movies, tv shows, an even video games. Its getting old....

... so are witches, ghosts, Nazis, gang bangers, evil scientists, and misguided villains with super powers, yet I don't see you or anyone else here complaining about those "old" stereotypes. I wonder why?

I ask you guys again, can we PLEASE just wait and see where this season goes before doing the same old TexAgs bullsh*t of getting angry at something, long before we have the complete story, because you're convinced it's some woke, SJW-peddling, race-baiting, liberal propaganda? Again, considering the source material, in which the entire master plan was to pull a fast one over on all of humanity - i.e. to make something seem like it was one thing when it really wasn't - maybe we give this effort the benefit of the doubt? Maybe, because Lindelof is a pretty smart dude, and race has never been a big thematic element in his past work, we give him the benefit of the doubt? Perhaps he has a reason behind this more than just, "White people suck, black people are good and deserve money"?

What if, for some unknown reason, Ozymandias is secretly trying to start a race war in Tulsa? And The Seventh Cavalry is a group he's either invited, hired, or riled up? Or what if Dr. Manhattan is using them to make some kind of point about human nature? What if Don Johnson formed them out of some greater strategic move? Point is, there are so many possibilities and so many reasons to think this isn't just race-baiting nonsense.

Again, if by the end of the season Lindelof really did hijack the Watchmen brand to use as his own, personal, woke, SJW-peddling, race-baiting, liberal propaganda machine, I'll be as disappointed as anyone else. But you guys have to realize that we go through this same song and dance over and over and over again, where forum 16 lurkers, along with others, start pouncing the second something whiffs of wokeness, when it more often than not ends up being a VAST over-exageration, or "nothing burger," as some of you like to call it.

I just can't handle seven more weeks of this. There are those of us who would like to enjoy, discuss, and examine this show without the same people and sentiments popping up week after week to tell us how disapproving of the race element they are. We get it. Your voices have been heard. I'm not saying, "Don't critique the show." I'm simply asking if we can please save the endless complaining about wokeness until the end of the season? That's all. In the meantime, if it's not your thing, the answer is simple: don't watch.
samurai_science
An extremist White Supremacist group is often the bad guy in movies, tv shows, an even video games. Its getting old....

BenFiasco14
AG
Oh for sure, that's why I added my caveat. And hell even if it does wind up being something as simple as evil White supremacists I'll probably still watch for the world building alone.

And it doesn't make me angry really, just more of a sigh and an eye roll. But like I said, I do agree (and hope) there's more to it than that
BenFiasco14
AG
Quote:

it's a present day topic because we've seen a rise in that kind of activity recently.

Well, then yep, I guess we will have to respectfully disagree
YouBet
AG
fig96 said:

I mean, the show exists in a world where Robert Redford has been president for almost 20 years and Vietnam is a US state...taking things to an absurd extreme is sort of the theme.

Personally, I don't have any issue with it. I'd think (hope) that an extremist white supremacist group as the villain would be something we could pretty universally unite against

Agreed

Quote:

and whether you like it or not it's a present day topic because we've seen a rise in that kind of activity recently.

Not looking to debate that (particularly in this thread) so if you disagree, well, to each their own.

Its a manufactured political crisis and fake news so you are safe here and no need to debate.

I will check out the pilot this week.

amercer
AG
White supremacists are bad guys.

The original comic was very left wing.

But, there were no good guys. The liberal genius hero murdered 3 million people to try and bring world peace. The libertarian hero was a psycho who was right, but still lost. The conservative hero was a war criminal who gets murdered in the first 10 pages. The only hero who actually has super powers is an indifferent god who decides he doesn't really care about human life or death. Also the whole story was weird as hell.

Setting the follow up in a racially divided Tulsa Oklahoma was a really odd choice, but through 2 episodes I think they've absolutely nailed the mood and feel of the original.
TCTTS
AG
Great points.
redline248
AG
As someone who is very unfamiliar with the original material and only watched the movie once, I'll offer this opinion...

Superficially, I agree that the White supremacy angle is tiresome as I think it just is a continuation of the anti Trump/anti white male agenda that is all over social and traditional media.

However, so far it's just been a "roll my eyes and move on" issue, for me. I'm really interested in this show and think there is probably a deeper plot. I will continue watching no matter what, at this point.

One last thing to add is that I think it's ok to vent/post about it as long as it's not the same post from the same posters over and over. The lengthy rebuttals to criticize those posts are equally pointless and detract from show discussion.

As does my post...so now I'll move on
TCTTS
AG
redline248
AG
Well one thing is for sure. These episodes are too short and having to wait a week SUCKS!

Ok, guess that was 2 things
TCTTS
AG
What a weird, wild show. Definitely my favorite episode yet.

A few thoughts...

- Just when I was starting to think that maybe that wasn't Veidt, and that perhaps we actually were in the past, we finally got confirmation that Irons is, in fact, Veidt. And his entire predicament has me so incredibly curious. It seems he's trying to get to Mars, yes?

- Jean Smart is a FANTASTIC addition to the cast. Such a welcomed presence and character type. This show absolutely needed her quips and perspective. Took it to a whole other level for me.

- Speaking of Smart, notice how she was used to make the COPS out to be the ridiculous ones? Even mocking their white racial profiling and methods. You can already see the perspective starting to change. And I liked that bit at the beginning of her superior explaining how cops and masked vigilantes are natural enemies. Helped explain why we're focusing on cops like we are.

- More blue dong, just not in a way I was EVER expecting. Ha, wow.

Really looking forward to the recap videos are articles for this episode...
TCTTS
AG
Also, was the car that fell at the end the same one that wheelchair guy was lifted in last week? Or are we to really assume that Doctor Manhattan actually someone dropped that car in front of her?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.