*** WATCHMEN (HBO) ***

123,762 Views | 1166 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by third coast..
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also, just FYI, the young agent with Lori is Petey of the Peteypedia. She called him "Petey" toward the end and that was supposed to be our connection. So he's the one who wrote that FBI memo.
amercer
AG
I believe one of the links made reference to a 1995 incident where they were both arrested. Probably the memo
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TCTTS said:

Also, just FYI, the young agent with Lori is Petey of the Peteypedia. She called him "Petey" toward the end and that was supposed to be our connection. So he's the one who wrote that FBI memo.

Haha I didn't catch that. This show is like Westworld where it's almost a treasure hunt for Easter eggs.
tk for tu juan
BTW, did Angela hoot like an owl before pouring out the coffee?
TCTTS
AG
I took it more as a sarcastic, "Oooh! [I'm shaking in my boots.]" but maybe it was a little of both?
Hey...so.. um
TCTTS said:

I took it more as a sarcastic, "Oooh! [I'm shaking in my boots.]" but maybe it was a little of both?

I saw it this way as well. Great episode. How many are there? Do we know?
TCTTS
AG
Nine total. So we're 1/3 of the way through. Critics have seen the first six and they say six is when everything really comes together. But no one has seen beyond that.
Thunder18
AG
Every Veidt scene so far has almost seemed like something out of a Wes Andersen film. Those scenes are super quirky and intriguing
TCTTS
AG
I get a very Lost vibe from those scenes as well. Like the first time Desmond was ever introduced, or any of those context-free, pre-crash island scenes. Lindelof is the king of that kind of stuff.
BenFiasco14
AG
"So it's a racist detector?"

This is the future liberals want.

Sorry, I had to
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

"So it's a racist detector?"

This is the future liberals want.

Sorry, I had to

That's an oversimplification.
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
BenFiasco14 said:

fig96 said:

BenFiasco14 said:

fig96 said:

YouBet said:

I didn't realize this had started. I plan to watch it since I've read the graphic novel and seen the movie.

But I have to admit I groaned hard when I heard an interview this week with someone from the show stating that they are using this show to address racial issues.

Jesus Christ. Do we have to address race in everything now?
I mean, if you don't like it then don't watch.

It's definitely a central issue of the show, but it's also a very relevant issue for a lot of people right now and it's really not addressed that much in media and film relative to the whole.

Surely you're being sarcastic ??
Count how many shows there are, then count how many address racial issues. I'm comfortable saying that's a pretty small percentage. People just notice when they do.

I suppose that would depend on how you define "racial issues". If by that you mean blatant "look at these terrible White people in a white supremacist group" then perhaps not. However I'd argue the vast majority of shows on today touch on not just racial issues but all sorts of things political, either blatant or subtlety. Watchmen is just wielding the white supremacy boogeyman as an obnoxiously large club.

That being said I'm still enjoying the show and I recently picked up the graphic novel to read. I'm only a few chapters in, though, and have yet to come across any themes about race and white supremacy. I've read on Reddit it was in the comic but I haven't seen it yet (the comic is great so far btw)

It's just frustrating because "white supremacy" is the current boogeyman of the day and this show has kinda taken it to an absurd extreme- and unless it's a front for something more to come down the line, it's clearly a commentary on what leftists perceive as a contemporary issue which is laughably false.

So far the only "extreme" has been actual history. Nasty stuff that real life history.
BenFiasco14
AG
TXK said:

BenFiasco14 said:

fig96 said:

BenFiasco14 said:

fig96 said:

YouBet said:

I didn't realize this had started. I plan to watch it since I've read the graphic novel and seen the movie.

But I have to admit I groaned hard when I heard an interview this week with someone from the show stating that they are using this show to address racial issues.

Jesus Christ. Do we have to address race in everything now?
I mean, if you don't like it then don't watch.

It's definitely a central issue of the show, but it's also a very relevant issue for a lot of people right now and it's really not addressed that much in media and film relative to the whole.

Surely you're being sarcastic ??
Count how many shows there are, then count how many address racial issues. I'm comfortable saying that's a pretty small percentage. People just notice when they do.

I suppose that would depend on how you define "racial issues". If by that you mean blatant "look at these terrible White people in a white supremacist group" then perhaps not. However I'd argue the vast majority of shows on today touch on not just racial issues but all sorts of things political, either blatant or subtlety. Watchmen is just wielding the white supremacy boogeyman as an obnoxiously large club.

That being said I'm still enjoying the show and I recently picked up the graphic novel to read. I'm only a few chapters in, though, and have yet to come across any themes about race and white supremacy. I've read on Reddit it was in the comic but I haven't seen it yet (the comic is great so far btw)

It's just frustrating because "white supremacy" is the current boogeyman of the day and this show has kinda taken it to an absurd extreme- and unless it's a front for something more to come down the line, it's clearly a commentary on what leftists perceive as a contemporary issue which is laughably false.

So far the only "extreme" has been actual history. Nasty stuff that real life history.
What are you babbling about? Are you Dr. Manhattan and can look into the future and be in two time periods at once?
TCTTS
AG
You're the one babbling, I'm afraid. He's obviously talking about the "extreme" racial/woke/SJW elements many of you keep claiming are running rampant in this show, which I honestly don't see at all. There's the race thing and that's about it, but that's CLEARLY now more of a cover/distraction than anything else. Otherwise, this is just... Watchmen. Where, as was stated earlier, EVERYONE is in hell. EVERYONE is gray. Especially the "good" guys. This show's only "agenda" is to make that point.
BenFiasco14
AG
TCTTS said:

You're the one babbling, I'm afraid. He's obviously talking about the "extreme" racial/woke/SJW elements many of you are claiming are running rampant in this show, which I honestly don't see at all. There's the race thing and that's about it, but that's CLEARLY now more of a cover/distraction than anything else. Otherwise, this is just... Watchmen. Where, as was stated earlier, EVERYONE is in hell. EVERYONE is gray. Especially the "good" guys. This show's only "agenda" is to make that point.

I'm doing no such babbling. He said the only extreme/absurd depiction of white supremacy and racial issues has been "actual history"

Other than the Tulsa race riots from the very first scene, this show is entirely fiction. So what is the "actual history" I'm missing here? Hence the babbling
TCTTS
AG
Right, and you're "answer" to that was too call out Doctor Manhattan's "extremeness," which had nothing to do with race. It was very confusing.
BenFiasco14
AG
TCTTS said:

Right, and you're "answer" to that was too call out Doctor Manhattan's "extremeness," which had nothing to do with race. It was very confusing.

My point was, the show is fiction, so unless he can see into the future, and know that this show will come to pass, it is not actual history. It was an attempt at a joke.

Anyways, this episode was definitely better and felt more Watchmen. Glad to see Silk Spectre II back but I think it's kinda annoying she doesn't have the trademark mole on her cheek but otherwise very well done. Veidt remains awesome.

Heavy foreshadowing for Nite Owl to be back eventually. Can't wait to see who the main villain is going to be
TCTTS
AG
Also, when engaging someone who has the signature, "CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such," I automatically feel like I'm having a conversation with the crazy homeless guy yelling on the corner. You realize that anywhere outside of forum 16, anyone reading that signature assumes you're typing everything with a tin foil hat on your head from a bunker, right? It automatically adds an eye-rolling, can't-take-this-person-seriously element to your posts that might not otherwise be present in the post itself.
BenFiasco14
AG
How do you know it's not my way of getting into character for the thread and trying to radiate Rorschach vibes?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

TCTTS said:

You're the one babbling, I'm afraid. He's obviously talking about the "extreme" racial/woke/SJW elements many of you are claiming are running rampant in this show, which I honestly don't see at all. There's the race thing and that's about it, but that's CLEARLY now more of a cover/distraction than anything else. Otherwise, this is just... Watchmen. Where, as was stated earlier, EVERYONE is in hell. EVERYONE is gray. Especially the "good" guys. This show's only "agenda" is to make that point.

I'm doing no such babbling. He said the only extreme/absurd depiction of white supremacy and racial issues has been "actual history"

Other than the Tulsa race riots from the very first scene, this show is entirely fiction. So what is the "actual history" I'm missing here? Hence the babbling

Well the only "racism," that I've seen is stuff from actual history. There is stuff that the cops have called and attributed to racism, like the hatred towards reparations, but I would consider that legitimate beef with the government. Even in the first episode when Sister Knight has that kid ask her if her hospital bills were paid with "Redfordations," and her daughter asks if he's racist, she tells her kid that he's not, but probably on his way. Then there is the police chief having Klan robes, but who knows if that is a false flag or not at this point.

I think the show is showing you that the cops have miscalculated the 7th cavalry movement, and this is highlighted in the scene with the bomber. He didn't want to take out Sister Knight or any other black people at the funeral, the obvious target for a terrorist from a racist movement, but rather was after the senator for his policies on police wearing masks, and again, supporting reparations. Even the White Night where they massacred all the police officers wasn't done on a racial bias perspective.

If anything, the show has been pretty over the top towards cop coverups, taking shortcuts, and brutality when investigating.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

How do you know it's not my way of getting into character for the thread and trying to radiate Rorschach vibes?

TCTTS
AG
Very well said.
BenFiasco14
AG
Good catch. Also wonder if Ole Petey was able to live up to her expectations following the blue dildo
amercer
AG
I mean yes, but calling someone out for being a "traitor to their race" is a pretty big way to say "I'm a racist"

Now my guess is that the small number of white supremacist that make up the 7th cav have been controlled/manipulated by the senator and police chief, and that the larger white underclass is disgruntled and upset about more legitimate problems in this version of 2019
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
amercer said:

I mean yes, but calling someone out for being a "traitor to their race" is a pretty big way to say "I'm a racist"

Now my guess is that the small number of white supremacist that make up the 7th cav have been controlled/manipulated by the senator and police chief, and that the larger white underclass is disgruntled and upset about more legitimate problems in this version of 2019

Fair enough.
redline248
AG
Yeah, "you're a race traitor" is heavy on the white people not being a fan of the black people.

I'm having 2nd thoughts about Keene being the guy pulling 7th Kavalry strings. His goal would appear to show that masked police works in fighting crime. Wanting the 7K to start going after cops again is detrimental to that goal, imo.

7K doesn't seem like a small group, and I haven't seen anything yet to indicate only a fraction of the group cares about race. Have I missed something?

The game warden looks like it could be a Phillips clone with a mustache (obviously hard to be sure with the mask on).
PDWT_12
AG
About every other page of this thread is just going to be a beating to read huh?

Anyway, loved this episode. Jean Smart is amazing, her characters in Fargo and Legion were great. Love that the call took 40 seconds to transmit to Mars and then 40 seconds later... a car drops in front of her. Side note, but are there any Bojack Horseman fans who immediately thought of Wanda's mulch bag joke from Season 2?

Count me in as someone who things the Senator has set up a lot of this to help his campaign, or at least staged the bombing incident. Shades of the Veidt assassination attempt.

Peteypedia has been updated, for those of you that enjoy reading that. It includes a review by Agent Petey of the American Hero Show and a clip from the New Frontiersman lamenting the continued rise of leftism in the country. I'm sure that won't get anybody stirred up.

Most interestingly though, it includes a letter from the original Keene with Judd Crawford's grandfather. Explains the title of last week's episode (the words being flipped that I mentioned in my post a few pages back), as well as confirms Keene and Crawford's political ideologies.

So many great easter eggs this week.

amercer
AG
I was thinking they were kind of small because the one video they sent to the cops had maybe 20 guys standing around. Also it seemed like the cops arrested that whole shanty town but didn't find a bunch of people with masks.
PDWT_12
AG
From Peteypedia, the creator of the show American Hero Show is the grandson of James Trafford March, a sci-fi writer who was killed by Veidt after he helped create the squid. Loving all the little connections like that.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Here's a good recap of episode 3 that's full of spoilers and speculation. Open at your own risk...

claym711
AG
There's so much info not included that it's difficult for someone who hasn't seen the original watchmen stuff to follow.

What kind of numbers is HBO getting on this so far?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
tk for tu juan said:

redline248 said:

amercer said:

I think it's the same car, and there is the chance Dr Manhattan dropped it there.

This show is badass.

This. I took it as him responding to her joke about hitting God in the head with a brick

She was about to get some space junk in that scene.
redline248
AG
Something else I thought about while watching ep2. What are the odds that Will's friends in high places are German nazis that survived in secret? There was the scene with the officer dictating the letter to black soldiers right before it showed him sitting under the tree.
TCTTS
AG
A friend of a friend designed the "bio suit" last night...

easttexasaggie04
AG
My theory is Will joined the Germans in WW1.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.