*** WATCHMEN (HBO) ***

123,708 Views | 1166 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by third coast..
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What was up with the Ambiguously Ghey Duo that Looking Glass was watching before his squid drill?
amercer
AG
PooDoo said:

What was up with the Ambiguously Ghey Duo that Looking Glass was watching before his squid drill?

I think they were pretty unambiguous.

There was a rumor that Hooded Justice was gay. The show about the masks is wildly sensationalist, so it's playing up all the controversial stuff.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
PooDoo
AG
https://www.hbo.com/video/watchmen/videos/squid-shelter-bts

Duncan Idaho
PooDoo said:

Uhmm if you thought that was ambiguous, you might want to speak with someone about your experiences with family members, priests and doctors that worked for gym jordan
PooDoo
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

PooDoo said:

Uhmm if you thought that was ambiguous, you might want to speak with someone about your experiences with family members, priests and doctors that worked for gym jordan
What can I say... I was trying to be polite. The mods have been pretty quick to edit that subject material lately.

Duncan Idaho
I got that. It was a shame because your post would have been the perfect use of the strike through

unambiguously gay duo
Jim01
AG
Ok, this was the first episode to really hook me.

It was a great blend of tieing in the original Watchmen to the new, and really moved the story a long some intriguing paths.

Thumbs up!
mazag08
AG
Just watched last two episodes.

Isn't the next one supposed to be the crazy awesome one that starts really tying everything together?
TCTTS
AG
According to the critics, yes. But man, I usually can't stand "dream" episodes, and this looks to be the most fever-dream episode ever. Either there's more to it outside of the dream/hallucination, or the the dream/hallucination itself is used to fill in a god chunk of the history/motivations/etc.
amercer
AG
Looks like we'll get the whole Will/Hooded Justice back story. Probably won't move the plot forward much.
amercer
AG
Lots of interesting parallels between the 85 storyline and the current plot.

Looking glass is Rorschach (eating beans in his mask and being the only one to know the real plot)

Trieu is Veidt (super genius pulling the strings)

Agent Blake seems to be playing the Role of the Comedian. A hero from the previous generation now doing the governments dirty work.

Can't decide if Sister Night is supposed to be silk specter or nite owl.

So in 85 the squid was meant to prevent nuclear holocaust. What's the disaster here supposed to fix? Racial strife?
redline248
AG
Let's talk about the squid attack for a minute. What killed all the people when Veidt dropped it on the city? Everyone thinks it was a psychic blast from the squid, but clearly not. So, some sort of bomb Shockwave?

Also, does Blake know it was fake?
WES2006AG
AG
redline248 said:

Let's talk about the squid attack for a minute. What killed all the people when Veidt dropped it on the city? Everyone thinks it was a psychic blast from the squid, but clearly not. So, some sort of bomb Shockwave?

Pretty sure it was actually some sort of psychic blast. They say the people in the blast range still suffer from horrible nightmares. Maybe that is just anxiety, but I am thinking the guy who could engineer a giant squid could also make an actual psychic blast.

As for Blake, she was at Veight's arctic compound at the end of the movie so I have to assume she knows.

I could be wrong about every bit of that though.
JJxvi
AG
redline248 said:

That it was fake was not a reveal it is already known from the comic book.

She was there when it happened. She got the villain speech from Ozymandias in real time. She, Dr. Manhattan, and Dan Dreiberg/Nite Owl all know. They all agreed to keep the truth secret since peace was breaking out and the deed was already done. Rorschach was also there and did not agree so Dr. Manhattan murdered him.
Sex Panther
AG
redline248 said:

Yes in the comic she knows. Which is probably one of the reasons she's so cynical now.
redline248
AG
Quote:

I mean, we know the squid didn't teleport on its own from both the comic and now the show. Are you saying we don't know if the psychic blast is real or not?
MBAR
AG
amercer said:

Lots of interesting parallels between the 85 storyline and the current plot.

Looking glass is Rorschach (eating beans in his mask and being the only one to know the real plot)

Trieu is Veidt (super genius pulling the strings)

Agent Blake seems to be playing the Role of the Comedian. A hero from the previous generation now doing the governments dirty work.

Can't decide if Sister Night is supposed to be silk specter or nite owl.

So in 85 the squid was meant to prevent nuclear holocaust. What's the disaster here supposed to fix? Racial strife?
Blake if following in her fathers footsteps and Trieu might be Veidt's protege but otherwise I don't see much similarity that seems like its trying to mimic the original. I think the similarities you point out are more of Lindelof paying homage.
MBAR
AG
redline248 said:

Do you remember the scenes in the Dr. Manhatten space phone booth (lol) ? She knows.
JJxvi
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

I mean, we know the squid didn't teleport on its own from both the comic and now the show. Are you saying we don't know if the psychic blast is real or not?
I was specifically responding to "Does Blake know it was fake" not regarding the mechanics. Im not sure or dont remember if the comic actually goes into what actually physically killed the people.
amercer
AG
Looking Glass was the most obvious one to me. He's a super paranoid guy eating beans cold from a can with his mask still on.

Also he figures out the plot (and gets killed? )
So maybe half homage half mirror

amercer
AG

To get ready for tomorrow's episode
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
redline248
AG
Interesting. Do we know more about the psychic? Something Dr Manhattan helped with?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
redline248
AG
Maybe I ought to just go ahead and read the comic
amercer
AG
**** that's great TV
amercer
AG
I honestly have no idea how they wrap this up in three more episodes. Hopefully they don't rush it (and hopefully enough people are watching to get a season two made)
MBAR
AG
Man, what a really great subversive commentary that was. I loved the leftovers and I think I'm going to revist it after this season. Please there there be more watchmen after this season. Absolutely LOVE this show.
TCTTS
AG
Holy sh*t.
redline248
AG
Fred had it coming
Teddy Perkins
AG
That was incredibly well done. I had a bit of trepidation going into this one but was hooked within 10 minutes.
BenFiasco14
AG
Hooded justice and captain metropolis confirmed gay.

Wish we could've seen more of the original silk spectre except for her hazy outline
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
WES2006AG
AG
I thought tonight was really well done but I also found myself wishing we were back in the 2019 timeline. Looks like we get back to that next week.
redline248
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Hooded justice and captain metropolis confirmed gay.

Wish we could've seen more of the original silk spectre except for her hazy outline

Captain metro also confirmed to be a little b-tch

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.