*** WATCHMEN (HBO) ***

120,928 Views | 1166 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by third coast..
amercer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think it's the same car, and there is the chance Dr Manhattan dropped it there.

This show is badass.
amercer
AG
Also, that episode really hammered home what I had posted before. In Watchmen there are no good guys. Everyone goes to hell.
TCTTS
AG
Great call.
tk for tu juan
TCTTS said:

- More blue dong, just not in a way I was EVER expecting. Ha, wow.

The first time she opened the case and there was a blue glow, I guessed it was a giant steely dan
TCTTS
AG
So funny.
Thunder18
AG
Really digging this show so far
redline248
AG
amercer said:

I think it's the same car, and there is the chance Dr Manhattan dropped it there.

This show is badass.

This. I took it as him responding to her joke about hitting God in the head with a brick
Urban Ag
AG
I am enjoying it. Finished Ep2 today.

The quality of the show, IMO, is outstanding all the way around.

The absolutely anti-everything white male, Trump, conservative, Republican, etc, is absolutely so over the top I just eye roll. It's so over done. And no, I don't have to wait to see how the season progresses. Come on. It's HBO. It's almost comical at this point.

I was honesty sad that Miami Vice got whacked so soon. Was digging that character.

Not ever sure what to say other that I can appreciate the artistic qualities of it. This appears to be an immense leftist, progressive, violent, masturbation fantasy. "I'm not a Nazi, I'm a communist"? WTF? Really? All those durn hillbillies lives in the trailer park with a Richard Nixon statue or whatever you'd call it! We gonna tear it down!
Jesus Christ this is so playing to leftist America. Whatever I guess.

For all of you that carry the water, if there was a reversal you'd be shatting blood and you know it.

Fun show for those of us that don't flip out. Will continue to watch. For now.
tk for tu juan
redline248 said:

amercer said:

This show is badass.

This. I took it as him responding to her joke about hitting God in the head with a brick

TCTTS
AG
Maybe watch tonight's episode before sounding like such a complete psycho?
tk for tu juan
PooDoo
AG
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-official-watchmen-podcast/id1485052917

Official podcast
amercer
AG
I suppose you guys would be happier if the bad guys were a reincarnation of the black panthers? Then we could see the cops beating confessions out of black guys and pulling down African American shanty towns?

Or maybe you'd find a political angle you object to in that plot line as well?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
amercer said:

I suppose you guys would be happier if the bad guys were a reincarnation of the black panthers? Then we could see the cops beating confessions out of black guys and pulling down African American shanty towns?

Or maybe you'd find a political angle you object to in that plot line as well?

If they were doing that, the the same people complaining now would be complaining they are making cops evil racists and portraying too much police brutality.

Some people just look for things to get offended about. This episode last night clearly showed there is a part of the 7th Cav guys that the rest of the cops and FBI are ignoring, their link to and belief in Rorschach.
redline248
AG
Why can't it be a group of mixed individuals that are more anti establishment than racist in nature? This world seems heavy on authoritarianism, surely all races stand behind freedom.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Me speculating, spoiler tagged it below:

Anybody else think the Police chief was the one who Sister Knight stabbed when she was shot? They said he was attacked as well, but one of the 7th cav guys escaped, and I'm pretty sure it was the same arm that was injured for the attacker and the wound the chief had
Dro07
AG
It was talked about a couple of pages back but I went back and it was the different arm. Only guy that got away from what we can tell is the second guy who shot her that no one else has referenced in the show.
redline248
AG
Wouldn't it also be easy to tell a gunshot wound from stab wound? He said he was shot on the white night
fig96
AG
Last night's ep was great, and agree that the addition of Jean Smart is outstanding. She's just getting better and better as an actress (if you haven't watched S2 of Fargo you're missing out).

I love how the show started with a pretty clear division between two groups (the police/local government and the 7th Calvary) and keeps introducing new shades of gray.

We started with the chief's apparent double life and other indications of a higher conspiracy, then last episode we had Will's abduction/escape by an unknown agency via helicopter-esque vehicle, and this episode we introduced the FBI and possibly Dr Manhattan getting (or already?) involved. And that doesn't take into account whatever Adrian Veidt is working on, which will surely tie in at some point.

Can't wait for next week.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
fig96 said:

Last night's ep was great, and agree that the addition of Jean Smart is outstanding. She's just getting better and better as an actress (if you haven't watched S2 of Fargo you're missing out).

I love how the show started with a pretty clear division between two groups (the police/local government and the 7th Calvary) and keeps introducing new shades of gray.

We started with the chief's apparent double life and other indications of a higher conspiracy, then last episode we had Will's abduction/escape by an unknown agency via helicopter-esque vehicle, and this episode we introduced the FBI and possibly Dr Manhattan getting (or already?) involved. And that doesn't take into account whatever Adrian Veidt is working on, which will surely tie in at some point.

Im wondering if Veidt is actually trapped on Earth or not. The giant human trebuchet was hilarious, but you would think that if he's truly on Earth, there is no way he is flinging someone up out of the atmosphere like that.

I'm thinking he's in some biosphere that Manhattan created, maybe on Mars?
Jim01
AG
Just caught up this weekend.

Honestly I'm pretty apathetic so far. I don't find myself caring about any of the characters or the plot. Mildly interested and I'll keep watching, but so far it's just ok.
amercer
AG
That's an interesting idea. I assumed that it was a self imposed exile, but maybe it's not. Also he seems totally insane now, but maybe that's also just a result of his confinement
fig96
AG
That's an interesting take and totally makes sense, and that would make a lot of the little quirky things work out. I'm intrigued to see if that pans out.
TCTTS
AG
Champ Bailey said:

fig96 said:

Im wondering if Veidt is actually trapped on Earth or not. The giant human trebuchet was hilarious, but you would think that if he's truly on Earth, there is no way he is flinging someone up out of the atmosphere like that.

I'm thinking he's in some biosphere that Manhattan created, maybe on Mars?

Ooooohhhhh, I like that. I think that's it and would explain so much.

I mentioned earlier a couple weeks ago that had a hunch that Doctor Manhattan might have created Veidt's clones, since at the end of the graphic novel, Manhattan says he might go and create life of his own. I just didn't consider that he might have created the entire situation Veidt is in as well. It would also explain why Veidt's castle is the same shape as Doctor Manhattan's. Vedit is trying to escape his jail, essentially, and yeah, I think it's probably on Mars. Great call.
gggmann
AG
My guess is that the Senator set up the whole 7th Cav resurgence in order to up support for his masked police policies and eventually get himself elected President. It was just too convenient the way the whole funeral thing played out. It falls in line with what happened in the original comic as well - the whole story was a setup by Veidt.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Enjoyed these videos for Westworld. They are just as good for this series.

TCTTS
AG
Agreed. There's a reason that the filmmakers have Crawford's wife, Jane, working on the Senator's staff. There's absolutely a connection there. Senator Joe Keene Jr. is son to Senator John David Keene, who passed the Keene Act in 1977 in the graphic novel, making illegal any form of vigilantism by costumed adventurers. It seems his son is surely carrying on that cause in his own way, which boils down to protection of cops. So he teams with Crawford to secretly form (or maybe reform) The Seventh Cavalry, get the masked police policy passed, and eventually succeed Redford as President somehow.
redline248
AG
I had a similar thought. He seems like the typical "create a problem so I can solve it" guy
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
amercer said:

That's an interesting idea. I assumed that it was a self imposed exile, but maybe it's not. Also he seems totally insane now, but maybe that's also just a result of his confinement

Yeah, It would make sense for why he just doesn't buy an astronaut suit, or make it out of something that isn't bison skin. And it seems like the "Game Warden" is responsible for keeping him in his "hell."

Nite Owl is imprisoned by the government in his cage, and Manhattan has always been in his own hell.
Dro07
AG
brain fart... why is nite owl in prison?

EDIT I know it was alluded to in this past episode but was that something we really dont know why?
TCTTS
AG
We don't yet know. Things seemed as "fine" as they could be for him at the end of the graphic novel. But maybe it has something to do with him going vigilante again?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
dromo07 said:

brain fart... why is nite owl in prison?

I'm pretty sure one of the links TC provided said that, maybe in the peteypedia?

IIRC, Nite Owl and Silk Spectre went full vigilante after the original series ended, until they outlawed vigilantes. At that point they gave both of them the choice to either help the government round up vigilantes or go to jail. Nite Owl got caged, and Silk Spectre takes her father's name, and basically his life.
Dro07
AG
ah I gotcha that sounds vaguely familiar.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
dromo07 said:

ah I gotcha that sounds vaguely familiar.

Yeah, that could be from one of those links, but maybe it was speculation.

Otherwise, all we know from the show is what she said about him to Manhattan this past episode.
TCTTS
AG
And what Keene said to her about getting her friend out of his cage.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.