*** WATCHMEN (HBO) ***

123,757 Views | 1166 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by third coast..
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
Of course reddit beat me to it...
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
C@LAg said:

dromo07 said:

Where is the first pic from?
the big trailer at the start of the season
It's from the pilot. So many people seemed to have missed it for some reason. In the living room of the cop who was shot (when Don Johnson visits the wife) there's like a five-second close-up of a TV and it's a news feed of Doctor Manhattan on Mars. He's standing in front of the castle, raises his arms, and destroys it. Then in the next episode the kid destroys the castle he's building. Foreshadowing for Ozymandias' castle?
Dro07
AG
Oh ya now I remember. Thanks for clearing that up... so do we know how the kids castle was floating? Magnets?
redline248
AG
Knowing Lindelof, it's a massive nothing burger
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
PooDoo
AG
So, I was thinking about Don Johnson's character during the flashback... I might have to go back and rewatch but didn't his bandaging look to be the same spot she stabbed the intruder?
Dro07
AG
Well that and what happened to the guy with the shotgun? There was two people in there so what happened to that person?

Just looked... Stab wound was on the other side so not the same area as Don
redline248
AG
Yeah, I wondered why she didn't mention there was a 2nd intruder
Bigfootisreal
Character from Deadwood. Same actor!
fig96
AG
redline248 said:

I had the same thought, we never found out what happened to that guy or even got a mention of him, but then the way they talked about it left me thinking I'd missed something in the scene.

Super into this so far though, although I am confused on the squids (sorry if that was covered a few pages back).
Robert C. Christian
AG
fig96 said:

redline248 said:

I had the same thought, we never found out what happened to that guy or even got a mention of him, but then the way they talked about it left me thinking I'd missed something in the scene.

Super into this so far though, although I am confused on the squids (sorry if that was covered a few pages back).

Don't think it was explained. Was the headline of the paper during the newsstand scene. Something along the lines of "Squid Rain Baffles Scientists".
fig96
AG
Gotcha, thanks.
TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

fig96 said:

redline248 said:

Don't think it was explained. Was the headline of the paper during the newsstand scene. Something along the lines of "Squid Rain Baffles Scientists".

The Squids are similar to the ending of the comic. They made a comment that said "Do you think the inter-dimensional incidents are a government hoax", so safe to say that's the explanation for them.

Now are they actually a hoax? I don't know... I read on this thread that this is a continuation of the comic, not the movie... So this world has seen a giant alien squid thing presumably. And that could be changed to an interdimensional being.

I could also see it being Lindelof just shoving in something super weird to catch everyone's attention that will never lead to anything and start message board discussions on whether its connected to the comic or not.
TCTTS
AG
It's definitely a continuation of the comic.

For those unaware, it was secretly Ozymandias (Jeremy Irons, presumably) who made a giant, building-size squid (via his team of scientists) and transported/beamed it via Doctor Manhattan-made tech to New York, killing three million people in 1985. That was the big, end-comic event that kept the world from nuclear war (which was Ozymandias' plan all along - to kill three million in order to save billions). However, most of the world still believes that it was an actual giant, alien squid from another dimension. Most people don't know that it was Ozymandias who was behind it all, though there are plenty of rumblings, obviously, that it might have been a hoax. So the mini squids falling from the sky in the pilot are either some kind of residual occurrence from the initial '85 hoax - or - Ozymandias is somehow making it rain mini squid to make it seam like a residual occurrence.

That was my take, anyway. Anyone else have any alternate takes?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Sex Panther
AG
I think that's definitely the takeaway...

One thing me and a friend were discussing today at work... Didn't Rohrshach expose Ozymandias though? When he turned over his journal?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther said:

I think that's definitely the takeaway...

One thing me and a friend were discussing today at work... Didn't Rohrshach expose Ozymandias though? When he turned over his journal?

Basically what C@LAg said. If you have the time, go back to the previous page, toward the top, where I had a pretty lengthy post on Sunday that explains this and a whole lot of other context. It's pretty interesting stuff.
fig96
AG
Love this kind of discussion on a show.

I've seen the movie but never read the graphic novel, picked it up on digital and going to try to finish it before the next ep.
redline248
AG
fig96 said:

redline248 said:

Don Johnson definitely talked like there was only one guy. So why didn't the 2nd one kill her? Did he just leave? Was he actually Don Johnson?
BenFiasco14
AG
fig96 said:

I've seen the movie but never read the graphic novel, picked it up on digital and going to try to finish it before the next ep.
how long is it? I've seen the movie but haven't read the graphic novel. might need to check it out for some more background on the show
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Sex Panther
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

fig96 said:

how long is it? I've seen the movie but haven't read the graphic novel. might need to check it out for some more background on the show

It's pretty substantial
c-jags
Sex Panther said:

BenFiasco14 said:

fig96 said:

It's pretty substantial

Not to advocate anything illegal, but you can google "read the watchman" and find a copy.

It's a valuable read.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
Wow. It's incredible how many references and easter eggs they pack into this thing, and as equally incredible how these guys are able to spot and process them all. I would almost consider this and future installments essential viewing. So good.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
WES2006AG
AG
TCTTS said:

That sounds exciting
TCTTS
AG

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-official-watchmen-podcast/id1485052917
easttexasaggie04
AG
I try to tell my "non nerdy" friends about this show but it's so hard to explain without them saying WTF are you talking about?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.