*** WATCHMEN (HBO) ***

123,739 Views | 1166 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by third coast..
degreedy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

TCTTS said:

You guys really think Looking Glass is dead? That didn't even cross my mind. I assume they'd at least show him die. I don't think his story is over yet, not by a long shot.
So...what did you think happened after the van full of 7K showed up with shotguns? I'm very curious what other ways that ending was interpreted.

It's like sports. 100k people watch a sack and come away with different reasons why it happened.
So,... um... your comment didn't age well did it?
redline248
AG
No, but it's not the first time (won't be the last).
TCTTS
AG
dave94
AG
TCTTS said:

Blew me away when I realized this was ramping up in the background of the final scene. What a great cover.
TCTTS
AG
Same. It's so good.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
i've never read a comic book or watched any of the big blockbuster comic-based movies but started watching this based on the previews and i'm absolutely hooked. i love it so much and have no idea why.
redline248
AG
Because it's awesome
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
yes...yes it is.
JCRiley09
AG
Over thanksgiving we had a conversation about what tv shows everyone in the family was watching... it was about the time I started describing a blue man winning Vietnam and a giant squid being dropped on New York City that I realized how truly nerdy I am.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I'm kind of amazed how solid this show is. I just keep expecting it to slip back a notch, but it keeps kicking it up a notch instead. Can't wait to see how it finishes and I hope it keeps going strong.
Thanks and gig'em
easttexasaggie04
AG
My two favorite shows right now are The Watchmen and The Mandalorian. I thought HBO was screwed after Game of Thrones, but they introduced us to another great series right after it ended.
Hey...so.. um
JCRiley09 said:

Over thanksgiving we had a conversation about what tv shows everyone in the family was watching... it was about the time I started describing a blue man winning Vietnam and a giant squid being dropped on New York City that I realized how truly nerdy I am.

I was trying to explain the alternative world to my dad and i lost him when i told him robert Redford was president.
TMoney2007
AG
C@LAg said:

amercer said:

Also I got the feeling that the Senator was being ironic with that line about white men. Just more of him leading around the foot soldiers while he's at his own game.
The episode reveals the Seventh Kavalry's plan: capture, destroy and become Doctor Manhattan. In a story which prominently features ideas about appropriation, what interests you about putting the Seventh Kavalry in a position to co-opt Doctor Manhattan to go from "white" to "blue," as Keene puts it?

As subversive a text as the original Watchmen was, in the end, it followed the same arc as any superhero story: the hero saves the world. The paradigm shift here was that the "good guy" and the "bad guy" were the same person. In our Watchmen, there are more clear cut bad guys who represent an ideology that is almost impossible to defeat. Bad guys always want the same thing: power. There's something fundamentally ridiculous about the idea of "white power" in its redundancy as if everyone in America was born onto the same playing field. Sadly, almost every one of our institutions demonstrates that inequity, so the idea that a white, male senator actually wanted MORE power was equal parts absurd and irresistible. As is the case with most White Supremacists, Keene doesn't see taking Manhattan's power as appropriation as much as taking something he already feels entitled to.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/watchmen-season-1-episode-7-an-almost-religious-awe-explained-1258567

also later:
the following is NOT a spoiler. But is confirming somethign that will NOT be in this season.

there will be no Dan in this season
I don't think the Senator actually shares their views. I think he was in the role of keeping them under control and saw that their current plan was to make a new Dr. Manhattan. At that point, I think he starts angling to be the first one through the intrinsic field generator so he can get the powers and will probably kill off the 7th Kavalry before he lets anyone else have the powers.

He's using them as a means to an end.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
claym711
AG
Acting has been great and Lindelof's filmmaking outside of the white supremacy dumbassery has been awesome.
TCTTS
AG
redline248
AG
Does he mean other than preview for the following episode?
Txgunrnnr
AG
TCTTS said:

Well that's just great, I'm sure my DVR will **** it up if I'm not there to watch live.
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
WES2006AG
AG
claym711 said:

Acting has been great and Lindelof's filmmaking outside of the white supremacy dumbassery has been awesome.
Not sure I've noticed any "white supremacy dumbassery" in this show. White supremacists are scum and the show is treating them as such.
mazag08
AG
WES2006AG said:

claym711 said:

Not sure I've noticed any "white supremacy dumbassery" in this show. White supremacists are scum and the show is treating them as such.
Duncan Idaho
Could you elaborate on what you perceive to be the point.
Tom Ato
I think...
pop culture has diffused the word racist to a point that some would think anyone that supports a certain political party is a racist, or any number of other words. This means that anyone that supports anything that someone on twitter has deemed "racist" now has to defend other "racists" since the nuance is all gone. I am sure most people hate white supremacists but since people that may support walls or no affirmative action get lumped in with white supremacists it became a hot button issue.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. That adds another layer for sure.
TMoney2007
AG
Tom Ato said:

I think...
pop culture has diffused the word racist to a point that some would think anyone that supports a certain political party is a racist, or any number of other words. This means that anyone that supports anything that someone on twitter has deemed "racist" now has to defend other "racists" since the nuance is all gone. I am sure most people hate white supremacists but since people that may support walls or no affirmative action get lumped in with white supremacists it became a hot button issue.
Xenophobic people, white nationalists/supremacists and people who deny the current state of race relations in this country are usually on the same continuum. Where you draw the line on who it is okay to call "racist" is debatable, but it more or less comes down to human's tendencies to put people who are different in another group and then treat them differently (usually worse, sometimes just showing indifference.)

While Hollywood has a historical propensity for taking an issue that needs to be addressed, producing art that can help affect the culture of the country and then eventually start trying to exploit it for monetary gain.

My best guess is that most people get offended by any art that addresses race relations say "this topic is so trite" because they don't want to express how uncomfortable it makes them to talk about these issues. Watchmen is a work of fiction, but that massacre in Tulsa happened, and its depiction wasn't even exaggerated significantly. The "white supremacist" storyline where the influence of those groups ebbed and flowed throughout history is also something that happened and is literally happening right now in this country.

Any subject can be covered poorly and/or exploitatively, but I don't know how any reasonable person can call this storyline trite or bad or not related to reality. I suppose in their mind we shouldn't be allowed to talk about reality if it reflects poorly on white people.

People are complaining about a show that depicts things that have happened and are happening. I'm not sure how a person can reasonably justify that without just admitting that it makes them uncomfortable.
Duncan Idaho
Hell just look at the pretzel making/feigning ignorance that happens when certain people trying to rationalize away "white nationalism".
redline248
AG
The only thing I would argue is whether white supremacists have any real power or influence. They are mostly on the fringe and have no organization to influence anything.

Obviously, this show exists in an alternate reality, but even those who share the perspective of the senator in real life are just bafoons living in basements posting on reddit. The majority of this country thinks racism and race supremacy is bad/wrong/ignorant. Some in media, politics and entertainment want to convince us we are stuck in the 60s.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Joe Biden supported segregation of school buses, and he's running for president.
BenFiasco14
AG
Quote:

is literally happening right now in this country.

Speaking of alternate realities. My goodness
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
TCTTS
AG
You seriously don't believe that there are currently white supremacist groups in this country??? Posts like your are EXACTLY what I was talking about earlier. Then again, we've been over this before, but I would expect nothing less from someone with a signature such as yours.
BenFiasco14
AG
TCTTS said:

You seriously don't believe that there are currently white supremacist groups in this country??? Posts like your are EXACTLY what I was talking about earlier. Then again, we've been over this before, but I would expect nothing less from someone with a signature such as yours.

The topic has been beaten over the head ad nauseum. Nobody's saying that white supremacists DONT EXIST. the point is, to say they have any inkling of a significant following, or any kind of influence at all, is laughable.

Whereas you always hear on the tv about it like there's a White supremacist behind every corner, and it's got people deluded and paranoid. Sorry my signature triggers you.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
JCRiley09
AG
This recent discussion has really turned me on to the ignore feature
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, you're right. Except for all the mass shooters who quote white supremacy doctrine, the "hundreds" of documented hate groups - from "white nationalists" to "neo-Confederates" to "neo-Nazis" to "skinheads" - that still exist, Charlottsville, and the fact that the FBI claimed this year that "a majority of the domestic terrorism cases that we've investigated are motivated by some version of what you might call white supremacist violence," sure, white supremacists groups have no influence at all.

Give me a break.

And if anything, it sounds like CNN is the one triggering you.
Duncan Idaho
You are fake news. Racists have no real power in our country

TCTTS

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.