*** WATCHMEN (HBO) ***

123,749 Views | 1166 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by third coast..
Aggie_Journalist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HBO unlikely to do more seasons of Watchmen, per CNN:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/16/entertainment/watchmen-ending/index.html
Thanks and gig'em
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
MBAR
AG
i'm sad because I loved this more than anything this year but I respect Lindelof walking away from it now that he thinks its done. I am anxious to see what he does next.
WES2006AG
AG
The decision to not make any more of this show is disappointing but it makes me like the cliffhanger ending of this season even more.
Chase McGuire
Late to the party here, but all I can say is wow. Can't believe that all came together so well. Great show.
mazag08
AG
This strikes me as him running scared. His series was a slam dunk success and he likely knows he can't top it. While I respect his decision, it also pisses me off. Why can't shows like NCIS, Greys Anatomy, and Dancing with the Stars get this treatment while fresh and unique shows like Watchmen get dedicated long term attention?
Al Bula
AG
Shife said:

The ending from the comic was not the same as the 2009 movie, and that was my real only gripe about it. The new ending worked for movie too
well after watching the show I feel vindicated the HBO production carried on the original spirit of Watchmen after the movie dumbed it down for the masses.

The show was ambitious for sure, but it's probably a good thing it will not be coming back.

I won't call this HBO take on Watchmen garbage but it certainly was heavy handed in its use of tiresome social themes. No amount of critical acclaim can cover up the fact that Watchmen was a huge trolling effort.

Did it work? Sure seems like lots of people are outraged and some are eschewing the bravery of tackling sensitive themes via science fiction.

I don't care one way or the other really. As with any socially liberal creative work, I can consume it, shelve it and get back to reality. Fantasy nonsense changes nothing at all.

1. I still think the white supremacy angle was cringy. Rather than giving up on it due to the first few episodes, I finished it out but was ultimately disappointed.

2. Jean Smart started out decent but the character's sarcastic nature got annoying after awhile.

3. The paradox that Angela created was a weak way to explain things.

4. Tim Blake Nelson was the best character in the show.

5. Keene, Jr was obviously a bad guy from the beginning.

6. The reasoning for teleporting Dr. Manhattan and the 7th Calvary/Cyclops from the warehouse to "downtown" Tulsa was not apparent to me. Having it all wrapped up near the theatre where Reeves was watching the movie in Episode 1 was eye rolling.

7. The background on Jon Osterman and the country estate on Europa was brilliant as was Veidt's imprisonment there.

8. Explaining the Dr. Manhattan head ring roofie as the primary means to get rid of him in 1985 was way too convenient.
AgfromHOU
AG
About Keene, Jr...

Senator Keene was the one who proposed the Keene Act, which outlawed vigilantism, in the original Watchmen comic series.
Al Bula
AG
AgfromHOU said:

About Keene, Jr...

Senator Keene was the one who proposed the Keene Act, which outlawed vigilantism, in the original Watchmen comic series.
yes. Well aware of the connection. Actually glad the connection from the comics to HBO series was made but no one who didn't read the original would get that.

Just goes back to my last comment on the ambitiousness of the HBO show. Without any context from the comic books, the casual watcher would be lost.

As an aside, when I hear 99 Luftballons I think of hot ass Malin Akerman. This scene:

Chase McGuire
Quote:

Just goes back to my last comment on the ambitiousness of the HBO show. Without any context from the comic books, the casual watcher would be lost.

I was super lost for a few episodes. I do think they explain enough for non-readers to understand what's going on by the end, but reading a synopsis of the comic helped a lot.
Urban Ag
AG
Sans the over the top nature of obvious political messaging, I thought it was decent. That said I thought the ending was pretty weak sauce. Trillionaire's toy gets destroyed by frozen calamari. Ok.
Another Doug
AG
Loved the series. This decision is horse**** though. Don't spend so much time world building and introducing characters if you aren't going to do anything with them.

Disappointment ranks up there with the pre-mature killing off of deadwood and rushed job of ROME.
amercer
AG
It's a brilliant, self contained, science fiction masterpiece. Every episode was filled with multiple layers of references, hints, and weirdness that perfectly echoed the original comic. No way they could pull that off again.

Sometimes more is less.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
amercer
AG
I'd watch a Lubeman spinoff

I was kind of sad we never saw nite owl, but that hardly warrants another season.
Txgunrnnr
AG
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
bangobango
AG
Great show. Disappointed there won't be a season two.

Question: was Abar's adopted son levitating his building toy in like the second or third episode? The scene where she tells him Don Johnson was murdered.

We watched it a couple of times and decided he was, but they never came back to it.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
bangobango said:

Question: was Abar's adopted son levitating his building toy in like the second or third episode? The scene where she tells him Don Johnson was murdered.

We watched it a couple of times and decided he was, but they never came back to it.

I thought it was just a magnetic field. They were just super advanced technologic legos due to Dr. Manhattan's influence on science.

I still don't get the 7Kav's obsession with lettuce. Just about every time they were in a scene there was lettuce somewhere in the shot.
bangobango
AG
Champ Bailey said:

bangobango said:

I thought it was just a magnetic field. They were just super advanced technologic legos due to Dr. Manhattan's influence on science.

I still don't get the 7Kav's obsession with lettuce. Just about every time they were in a scene there was lettuce somewhere in the shot.

That's a good point. I forgot about the lettuce.
Dro07
AG
Prob comparable to Tarantino and feet
Teddy Perkins
AG
Damon Lindelof Confirms He's Out on 'Watchmen' Season 2: "I Don't Have Any Ideas"

Probably for the best.
mazag08
AG
I agree it's for the best, but to say you have no ideas is just a cop out for "I'm lazy and don't want to put in the level of hard work it takes to continue this show without it getting stale or having sophomore slump." And that would be fair. But to say you have zero ideas, after the thousands that just piled into the previous season, is as close to lying as you can get.
TCTTS
AG
"Lazy" is the last thing I'd call Lindelof. He may have an inkling of any idea, but if he doesn't feel he can top season one, I respect the hell out of him for not trying to force it. Sometimes even "hard work" can't do the trick.
mazag08
AG
TCTTS said:

"Lazy" is the last thing I'd call Lindelof. He may have an inkling of any idea, but if he doesn't feel he can top season one, I respect the hell out of him for not trying to force it. Sometimes even "hard work" can't do the trick.

I tend to agree with you. I think I'm just pissed that he won't try. I think it could be good enough and still fresh enough compared to all the other generic content out there that even a letdown would be worth doing.
tk for tu juan
Can he at least tell us if she walks on water or not?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
ramblin_ag02
AG
tk for tu juan said:

If she doesn't then her whole story line doesn't make any sense. Tons of foreshadowing and clues, and the fact that Manhattan randomly picked up her in a Vietnamese dive bar for literally no reason otherwise
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I'm really late to the party, but binge watching this late at night during the Big Rona. I'm a complete novice in this whole universe. Was so confused that I spent a late night reading up on Watchmen to have a clue what is going on.

Just watched A God Walked Into Abar (S1E8)...and I'll rank it up there in the "best episodes ever" category. The whole episode was just amazing. Insanely well done.

Looking forward to the conclusion, even knowing that it won't be continued.
amercer
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

tk for tu juan said:

If she doesn't then her whole story line doesn't make any sense. Tons of foreshadowing and clues, and the fact that Manhattan randomly picked up her in a Vietnamese dive bar for literally no reason otherwise

There were a lot of clues that it might be the kid he was passing his powers to though. So I assume after she gets out of the pool and drys off, she goes back inside to find her son eating an omelette.
NASAg03
Just finished the series. It was good, but too many holes (literally and figuratively) for me to think it's great.

I don't have a problem with the white supremacist angle. I have a problem that they don't seem that bad, and all the "normal" white people are lumped in as white supremacists.

In Blackkklansman, the WS were very bad and easy to hate. In this show, the lines are blury (as with all the characters) but you're supposed to hate them because they are white supremacists. Okay.

Angela is weak. In every episode. And she's the same. In every episode. She learns more than any character yet there's zero character growth.

Actually her child version seems more stronger and more complex, so i'd say she regressed.

Who was I rooting for? Mirror guy. He's the only one that seems to have grown enough to handle Dr. Ms powers. Yet they gave him a weak supporting role in the end.

The ending was too perfect. And frozen squids that fall "like being shot with a gatling gun" can be stopped with a pelican case lid.

Considering that was THE way Lady Treiu's plan was thwarted, I thought it was poorly displayed. Frozen squids = hail. That won't put a hole in your hand.
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
amercer
AG
So um, this all turned out to be pretty prescient for 2020....
bigcat22
AG
Incredible...now Trump is hosting a rally on Juneteenth in Tulsa. Just feeds into how crazy 2020 has been
Duncan Idaho
What is insane is that I have zero idea if this is a dog whistle from miller ti a certain segment of his base or an honest attempt at unity.

Granted I have zero doubt how the rally will turn out but it's the premeditation that I don't know how to interpret.
amercer
AG
2020 continues to deliver!
TCTTS
AG
They'll claim "unity," but the real reason is "chaos." The left will crow about out how crass this is, the right will laud the olive branch nature of the gesture, but the entire point is to cause as much of a media sh*tstorm as possible, because that's where Trump "thrives," and this is how he fuels his base's rage.

Between this and the whole mask controversy, it really is Watchmen come to life...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.