*** Official MAD MEN seventh and final season thread ***

202,192 Views | 1733 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
I don't think Cooper would even bring that up.

Agreed.

He's not in the game to do that. Bert has also just been negative in general for a long time. He knows his world has passed him by and he is coasting through his later years finding pleasure in aesthetics. He is still one of my favorites in the partners meetings, however.

All he knows about Don is he isn't who he says he is. Opening up that can of worms wouldn't be good for anyone, and Bert wouldn't do that.

I think you're going to see a typical inter-office struggle for power over the next few episodes, leaving us set up for the final 7 for a big change one way or another.

The quote I'd be more interested in would be Lou saying that they might want to get security for when they tell Don to leave the office, that those things tend to happen that way. While it obviously never came to fruition for Don since he was offered a job back, I think you may see it set up for Lou if he is sent packing in a few eps.

[This message has been edited by Bunk Moreland (edited 4/29/2014 10:39a).]
Teddy Perkins
AG
I agree with Panther, I don't think this is going to turn into Draper v. Cooper at all. I think Don comes back and does what he does best, creative and pitching. It's clear Don is putting more effort into his relationships. He is much more conscious about others. Sure, he'll butt heads occasionally but I don't think it will be his way or no way anymore.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
The quote I'd be more interested in would be Lou saying that they might want to get security for when they tell Don to leave the office, that those things tend to happen that way. While it obviously never came to fruition for Don since he was offered a job back, I think you may see it set up for Lou if he is sent packing in a few eps.

Ha, good point. I think that's exactly what will happen now that you mention it.
Joan Wilder
AG
I don't see that as portending violence (like nowadays). I see it more like the guy in the original SC office who tore up his office and caused a huge scene when the Brits fired him. (And I feel like roger fired him again in the new agency)

Harry Hamlin is killing it - it's really good to see him ACTING like this again.

parkway94
AG
quote:
I don't think Cooper would even bring that up.

I'm not so sure about that. When I go back and look at the last episode of season 6 and the scene when Don is called in for the impromptu partners meeting, what stands out is the ice cold delivery by Cooper of the "yes" response to Don's "Should I sit down?"

I think Cooper believes that he owns Don in every way. Go back again a few seasons to the contract signing and Cooper's other line about Sacajawea.

Don makes one false move or steps out of line and Cooper will attempt to drop the axe.

[This message has been edited by parkway94 (edited 4/29/2014 11:58a).]
Bunk Moreland
I think you are looking way too far into that.

Bert leads those conversations each time because he's the one man in the room who is above Don. Sure, Roger is older, has his name on the wall, etc...but he knows Don made SC, then all the other names, new company, etc.

Before the merger, everyone in the room every time other than Bert basically had Don to thank for their career.

Bert is a smart businessman. He just wants Don to either help the company or he wants him to give up his stake in it so they can move on and get rid of that financial albatross.

That's practical and logical. If Don comes up with fantastic work and they start landing clients left and right, then he's worth every penny and Bert won't give 2 ****s.

[This message has been edited by Bunk Moreland (edited 4/29/2014 12:12p).]
parkway94
AG
quote:
That's practical and logical. If Don comes up with fantastic work and they start landing clients left and right, then he's worth every penny and Bert won't give 2 ****s.

Agree 100%, if the story goes that way, but I'm not sure that's the direction MM goes this year.

I think Machiavellian Don vs Ãœber Cooper is a more compelling storyline.
Bunk Moreland
Yeah, I just don't know how much I'd like that, given the back seat we've seen Bert basically play the last few seasons. He's always in the board room, but he is the old wise man who keeps everyone together at this point.

I love Bert, but if they turned the final season(counting all 14 over the next 2 years as the final season) into a Don v Bert super showdown, that just doesn't seem to fit.
AgLaw
AG
quote:
Betty continues to be the most awful person in history that isn't a King in Westeros.
PascalsWager
AG
Better relationship:

Betty and Bobby or Cercei and Joffrey
Cyprian
AG
quote:
Better relationship:

Betty and Bobby or Cercei and Joffrey

Let's stop this before we have to create different MM+GoT threads due to spoilers
amercer
AG
Just caught up. Agree with pretty much everything that has been said. Just to be clear though, Don is risking something like 50 million in today's dollars by accepting their terms? He's rich and all but his partnership has to be 75% of his net worth.

I guess the point is just how much Don is lost without his work that he would risk everything and take a demotion just to come back. I think it also speaks to some lingering insecurity that he would do that when he could have easily gone somewhere else and started fresh.
512Ag
AG
I have to believe that Don's past is going to haunt him at some point in this last season. They wouldn't have spent all that time building that storyline if it wasn't going to have some effect on the outcome of the series.

What's the list of people who know the truth about Don/Dick Whitman?
Pete Campbell
Bert Cooper
Betty
Faye
Megan (?)
Dick's brother (dead)
Real Mrs. Draper (dead)

Of those, Bert seems to be the only one with anything to gain from exposing Don.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
I have to believe that Don's past is going to haunt him at some point in this last season. They wouldn't have spent all that time building that storyline if it wasn't going to have some effect on the outcome of the series.

What's the list of people who know the truth about Don/Dick Whitman?
Pete Campbell
Bert Cooper
Betty
Faye
Megan (?)
Dick's brother (dead)
Real Mrs. Draper (dead)

Of those, Bert seems to be the only one with anything to gain from exposing Don.

Bert would've exposed him to get him out if he were going to do that. Just forget about that happening.
TCTTS
AG
Devin Faraci ‏@devincf
Tonight's MAD MEN episode is called The Monolith. 2001 reference? (the film came out a year before this season, though)
InternetFan02
AG
Nixon enacted some reforms beginning in 69 related to the draft - trying to deal with the growing number of deserters among other things. It's not completely out of the question that Don could be subjected to another background check or be exposed by someone in a power move.

Seems like at minimum they should have a scene closing the loop on the whole thing - great chance for Weiner to express his overall theme of the show in how Don's secret identity is handled in 1960 vs 1969.

[This message has been edited by Internetfan02 (edited 5/4/2014 6:43p).]
ElephantRider
AG
Oh boy
Al Bula
AG
What the hell was the drunken showdown between Don and the computer guy about?
johncAG
AG
I took it as Don realizing he wasn't going to get a chance to pitch to him, so he let him know he shouldn't think about advertising his company
95_Aggie
AG
Hopefully that's the last we see of drunk Don.
Bunk Moreland
The empty bottle is still technically in his office but I'm hoping it's something we are made to assume is thrown away and not something that is utilized as a "gotcha" moment later.

Don has never been that smashed at the office before, has he?
InternetFan02
AG
Confirmed that the partners were planning to sit back and let him hang himself by the rules they set.

Is Lou also setting up Peggy to fail or is she just a pawn?

Seems to be leading up to Don and Peggy working together to either leave the agency or make a power play internally.

Not the strongest start but the episode ended well - "Oh noes the creative dept was replaced by a COMPUTER! And Margaret ran off to join a cult!!!"
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
Don has never been that smashed at the office before, has he?
Never that bad. Damn that was tense. I remember Season 4 soon after the divorce he gave a drunken pitch to Life Cereal and ended up having to hire Roger's midget cousin-in-law because of it. Also around that time he got smashed at a party I think and took advantage of his secretary Allison - led to her quitting and the hiring of Miss Blankenship
AgLaw
AG
How many references were there to the dawn of time/primitive man (think opening scene of 2001 Space Odyssey)?

1. Don being late for work (time).
2. Don and Ginsberg carrying the couch. Ginsberg references the see saw effect (leverage).
3. Don telling IBM guy that he hasn't mastered fire when they guy's lighter is out.
4. Someone referencing that Don hasn't killed any of the other apes yet.

In 2001: A Space Odyssey, the opening scene ends with one of the ape tribes learning how to fight with tools, thus gaining an advantage over its enemies to gain control of the watering hole. Presumably, this knowledge comes from the mysterious monolith that appeared.

Carrying the film parallels out, of course, are man v. machine with the installation of the new computer.

The title to tonight's episode was The Monolith.
InternetFan02
AG
Good catches on the 2001 stuff. Also on the Kubrick parallels, I thought about the Shining when Roger's grandson was chasing Lois through the halls - same haircut plus the overalls. And also Don trapped doing nothing in an office where a horrible suicide occurred. Best ****ing show on TV
DanHo2010
AG
When Don exited the elevator at the start of the episode, the monolith was blatantly onscreen.
redag06
I must have really not been paying attention. I kept wondering how he was drunk, because all I saw him drinking was Coke.

MW03
AG
I haven't done a 180 on a character like I have on both Peggy and Pete. Love Pete now, and Peggy is just insufferable. She has to be the most self-righteous character on television.
OilAg03
AG
What's with Bert being so hostile towards Don? Was there anything in the past (besides Hershey) between them?

Or maybe it's just setting up Don's exit to start his own firm.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
I must have really not been paying attention. I kept wondering how he was drunk, because all I saw him drinking was Coke.

He poured the liquor into the can.
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
What's with Bert being so hostile towards Don? Was there anything in the past (besides Hershey) between them?
Bert knows about Don's true past - from season 1. He basically forced Don to finally sign a contract in season 3 ( "just sign it, because really, who's signing it anyway?"). In season 5 he lectured Don about not taking work seriously enough due to obsessing over Megan - " let's face it, you've been on love leave". I don't remember last season - how did he react to Don firing Jaguar and later merging with CGC?
Joan Wilder
AG
Weren't the '69 Mets the "miracle mets?" - the team that started terribly then won it all (or at least the pennant) that year? Hopefully predicting a big comeback for Don this year.

Peggy handled that situation about as well as she could.

I love the scenes with Peggy and Joan as allies. They have a complex history but the moments of them working together are so real and well done. Man did Joan look amazing in that green outfit.
Rudyjax
AG
Yes. I will look it up but I think they were 12 games back on Sept 1.

They had a good young staff, Tom Seaver and Nolan Ryan.
DanHo2010
AG
Going with the technology theme, when Don gets angry at his new situation he chunks the typewriter at the window (the most advanced thing in his office). By the end of the episode he's kind of accepted the changes and he's using it to type his taglines.
512Ag
AG
quote:
They had a good young staff, Tom Seaver and Nolan Ryan.

Nolan Ryan's rookie season and only World Series appearance/win.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.