*** Official MAD MEN seventh and final season thread ***

202,197 Views | 1733 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man, if Wiener gives us any more of his kid and that ****ty story line, he's got to get into the nepotism hall of fame on the first ballot.

Literally nobody has cared about Glen since he was introduced.
TCTTS
AG
I'm almost positive it's not Glen. Looks to be someone in either a trench coat or dress. So, likely Don or Betty...

Rudyjax
AG
Just wait.
TCTTS
AG
Betty looks like she's about had it with Henry based on the preview, so maybe she leaves to go see Sally for some reason. All I know is there isn't a single shot of Don in the preview, which tells me he's doing something likely not in New York City.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Just wait.

It's fun to speculate. This is an internet message board, after all.
annie88
AG
Henry is a chode.

I hope Betty gives him the finger and runs for his position and wins.
Straight Talk
AG
To follow along behind the "Those who we may have seen the last of" thread:

I agree that Joan may not be seen again unless it is a visual trip down memory lane in Don's head. Same for Ted, Betty, Ken, Harry and Bobby. No Glen either. I think Mr. Wiener's son's universal lack of talent and his equally universal dislike by the audience deems this so.

I believe Richard, Peggy, Stan, Sally and Pete will be dealt with over the last two episodes along with Don.

Don't know if that is Don in Sally's dorm room but the look on her roommates face tells us it is almost frightening. If it is Glen, well why? He cares about Betty not Sally! If it is Betty, will it be to tell her she is getting out of the marriage with Henry and maybe getting back with Don!!! Who else could it be??

Peggy and Don are the key I think. Something has to happen with them together, whether it is in NY or not. Will Don coax her to California after a particularly evil showdown with McCann's misogynistic hierarchy? Will she somehow get a chance to tell him see is in charge of Coca Cola or Chevy of something Don would be startled by? Will she tell him thanks or go blank himself? Does Stan get a role in any of this? Seems too obvious for her to find true love and professional success at the very end? Not Wiener ish! My thoughts are that staying true to the 1970's means Peggy won't be appreciated at McCann so where will she go? California is my guess to start a new agency with Don and Stan.

Some speculation that Richard will croak and if so we will have the opportunity to see the whole ensemble again, but how predictable is that? Richard should last be seen being asked by Ferg, in front of everybody, to go get him some coffee. He is dead either way.

Sally will be in the next episode and her part will be played out, whatever it may be. Don gives her the truth, an endowment and a last hug? This young actress is one of the best on the show. Sally may be spoiled but this young girl is going places after Mad Men.

Pete will be absorbed into McCann and become a cog.

If you watched the Sopranos you know that this won't be a finale that gives us all the answers. Weeks ago before the loose window scene in last weeks show, I was thinking somehow Don is on the roof with all his demons and we fade to black. I mean did Tony Soprano get whacked in that restaurant? Did Don jump? But no it will be something else. The hitchhiker is the last minute joker. If Don makes it to St Paul, he will be 1,200 miles away from NYC. Will the hitchhiker say something sage and life-changing to Don about truth, love, life or family that makes a difference? What else could he be for, Don is not a killer so he can't try to use him to fake his death unless our mystery man tries something first.

Ok, what I want to happen in the end is for Don and Peggy to be the end in some way. What I don't have a clue.
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
Don't know if that is Don in Sally's dorm room but the look on her roommates face tells us it is almost frightening. If it is Glen, well why? He cares about Betty not Sally! If it is Betty, will it be to tell her she is getting out of the marriage with Henry and maybe getting back with Don!!! Who else could it be??

oh god it's glen and he's using sally to get to Betty. Nepotism HOF indeed.

As satisfying as the Peggy ending was, I just can't help wanting more Peggy. I want a Peggy spinoff. I want to see her kick ass in the 70s and find true love.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Henry is a chode.

I hope Betty gives him the finger and runs for his position and wins.

Annie doesn't support the troops. Noted
PJD Ag 10
AG
Seems like Don has now had goodbyes with roger (bar), Joan (elevator), and Betty (home). Interested to see if that's coincidence or not. Tonight will be fun
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Seems like Don has now had goodbyes with roger (bar), Joan (elevator), and Betty (home). Interested to see if that's coincidence or not. Tonight will be fun

I don't think it's a coincidence.
Quinn
AG
Potentially Sally as well (bus stop)
Thats Not My Name
Going to have to wait until Friday to watch this as I'm on the road from today until then
Hogties
AG
Get the Hopper. I'm in Mexico and will watch live on my computer while my wife watches live at home and we text about it. I love the Hopper from Dish.
AgLaw
AG
THE HOPPER!

Post removed:
by user
MW03
AG
Man I've come 180 on Pete. Love that guy.
TXAGFAN
Bunk Moreland
Jesus. Each of the last 2 episodes could have worked as series finales. This is crazy good stuff.

Can't wait to see what we get next week.
Hogties
AG
That kid just got framed for Don's disappearance. Adios mofo.

Sally will be alone and rich very soon.

Pete. On a roll and going for it.

Betty. Well, her people are Nordic. Bet she offs herself.

Joan Wilder
AG
Betty is leaving final instructions to her oldest child and 90% of it was vanity-driven. Good grief.

Are we even going back to McCann next week? Everyone's stories are fairly wrapped up. Now it's just Dick/Don.

TCTTS
AG
That was maybe the most depressing and uneventful penultimate episode I've ever seen. It was good, I guess, but I expected a lot more. This finale better be amazing.
TCTTS
AG
@citizenjaney: anna had cancer. rachel had cancer. betty has cancer. this must mean something other than being totally depressing. #madmen
depogs
AG
Well..... they all smoked.
95_Aggie
AG
Everyone's story has been wrapped up but Don's. I wouldn't expect any major bombshells or fireworks in the finale. This show has always been a slow burn.
et98
AG
I think Matthew Weiner is having a lot of fun this season toying with us. He knows the message boards are filled with dozens of predictions and have been since the 1st episode...and he's been sprinkling red herrings into every scene just to make each of us think we called it...and then he pulls the rug out from under us. It's his way of making fun of us, and I think it's hilarious!

Don touching the window was basically just his way of f-ing with everyone who said Don would jump out a window.

There were about a dozen instances of the entire VFW scene where I absolutely knew Don was about to admit to what he did, get recognized, or somehow get figured out. When they ambushed him in his room, I was absolutely certain they were punishing him for his crime. Again, it was just Weiner's way of giving the middle finger to everyone who predicted Dick Whitman would finally get busted.

The Manson Family red herrings over the past few seasons have been pretty funny, too, if you think about it. It reminds me of how an illusionist distracts you with a story or a decoy trick so you can't see the real trick coming. Weiner is totally screwing with us. It's like he thought to himself, "what can I do to make the message boards go crazy for absolutely no reason whatsoever? I know, I'll make them think they're smart by predicting a Manson murder that never happens. And then I'll mention it again in one of the final episodes just to make fun of them!".

I personally predicted before this final half-season started that Peggy & Pete would somehow end up together. There was a scene a couple of episodes ago where I absolutely KNEW it was happening. Just as I was about to start typing my boastful victory post on this very thread about my successful prediction...Weiner pulled out the rug and made me his beyotch.

Lots of people said Don and the group would pull a quick one over on ME and set up shop in California. It made perfect sense. Don wants to be there, Joan could marry her rich boyfriend, Pete loved it there, and Peggy could finally get that Creative Director title. And just as it was happening...Weiner pointed at everyone who "saw it coming" and laughed in their face as if they were the smelly kid on the playground who just pooped his pants.
TexasAggie008
AG
quote:

First scene ever in the series is don talking to the waiter about why he likes lucky strikes
amg405
AG
I thought that the episode was really well done. The note to Sally could not have been any more Betty-ish.

The finale is either going to be out of left field or just some commentary on how humans can never catch whatever it is that desire drives in them.
GreasenUSA
AG
I really don't think message boards have much to do with the story the Weiner wants to tell.
harge57
AG
quote:
quote:

First scene ever in the series is don talking to the waiter about why he likes lucky strikes

Yep and the thing that started the legend of don draper was the nyt article about smoking.
PatAg
AG
I actually thought this was a pretty great episode. One of the better non-advertising centric ones.
TCTTS
AG
Don't get me wrong. It was definitely a good epsiode. Thematically, I loved the full-circle-ness of it all, re: the cancer/smoking and the war stuff. I was just really bummed out by the Betty angle. She's always been the most hated character, and then to see her go out like that on top of it all was just tough. That said, she did so with courage, and I can appreciate that. I just wasn't expecting her story to end on such a gut-punch.

Pete/Trudy, on the other hand, was beyond wonderful and made up for the Betty downer in spades. Watching a frustrated Pete has always been one my favorite joys of this show, but seeing him finally "get it"/truly happy gave me more satisfaction than any "Not great, Bob!"/"The king ordered it!" line ever has. What a great character and a great ending for his character. New York was always a cancer to him, and he finally figured out a way to beat it.

I can also appreciate that the deck is finally all cleared for Don. At least I think it is. As great as Peggy's slo-mo moment was walking down he hallway, I don't think we're quite done with her yet. Same for Roger. Surely his last scene won't be telling Joan to take the money. Part of me thinks every moment of the final episode will be devoted to Don - and that that's how it should be - but another part of me thinks we're at least going to see Peggy and/or Roger one final time. Peggy, in particular, deserves at least a fourth of the final episode.
TCTTS
AG
Also, what a great way to bring Duck back one last time. That was so perfect.
TCTTS
AG
Speaking of, what are the chances we finally see Sal in the finale? I'd obviously say next to nothing, but the way Weiner's brought back a few characters over this past season, plus the fact that he knows we're expecting him NOT to do it, makes me think he just might. Then again, for the finale, it'd feel like a huge stunt, so probably not.
TCTTS
AG
Another quick question - was Nev Campbell's cameo appearance technically this season (the first half of season seven)? I keep going back to what Ted said last episode about randomly running into an old girlfriend and them hitting it off again. If not simply a thematic reminder, that almost felt like foreshadowing. Any chance Don runs into an old flame in much the same way? And if so, that Nev Campbell role always felt it was going to be more than just a plane ride / could-have-been. That said, I completely expect Don to still be single at the end of the series. Just throwing out random guesses at this point (since it's the last time we'll ever get to do so).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.