*** Official MAD MEN seventh and final season thread ***

202,181 Views | 1733 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
Joan Wilder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Joan in 1961 was all about getting an account man to propose to her. Joan in 1969, as a partner, only cared that "we lost Chevy?" Love it.

Those Don/Peggy scenes were everything that makes this show amazing.

God can we PLEASE NOW be done with Megan?
AgLaw
AG
If Don pitches this new idea, he's not going by the script, which was one of his conditions to coming back. Lou and Cutler are going to try to use this to leverage Don out. The pitch, however, will be a home run, showing the ret of the team that Don is back to his old form. That will be the crises point. I can see one of two outcomes:

1. The rest of the partners fear bringing Don back will mean that he has won, they let him go, but Peggy and Pete go with him to create a new agency; or

2. The rest of the partners choose Don over Lou and Jim, and the old Sterling Cooper family is made whole again.

Would love to see #1, but I bet we get #2.
OldArmy71
AG
Great, great episode. Well-structured, well-written, well-acted.
amg405
AG
Really weird way to send Bob Benson packing. They leave him (and the potential depth of character and storylines) out all season, then have him drop in to propose and be rejected? The idea just seemed a little half-baked.

The scenes with Peggy and Don were phenomenal.
CT75
AG
RE: Megan...to me the short scene with Megan and Pete's girlfriend on the plane followed by the stewardess abruptly "closing the curtain" was symbolic. I think the curtain has closed on those relationships.
TCTTS
AG
^ Good observation. Curtain is definitely closed, but that's not the last we'll see of Megan. Otherwise, they wouldn't have showed all those angry-Megan callbacks in the season finale "preview." My guess is they finally break up once and for all next episode, and that will be it. Don't forget they set their next get-together for a "neutral" location in late July. Apollo 11 is July 20. Betting we get the moon landing, Don/Megan break-up, and some kind of big agency event/cliffhanger all in next episode. End the half-season right in the middle of summer, come back for the final seven episodes during the final half of 1969.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 5/19/2014 1:47a).]
TCTTS
AG
Also, this was easily the best episode in a long, long time. Maybe not all around, but it's been forever since I've felt that kind of happiness for the characters as I did during that final shot. Seeing those three together again, like that, was awesome.
SwaggerCopter
AG
Agree this was the best episode in a while.

I think they had to write bob benson out of the script because he's on another show
SwaggerCopter
AG
And I think we see McCann Erickson buy SC&P and it leads to either 1) Don returning to creative director glory or 2) it serves as a catalyst to get Don, Peggy, Pete to split off.
Al Bula
AG
What about Freddie Rumsen? I can see him getting back together with Don and Peggy if they form their own agency.
Bunk Moreland
So McCann has a car account already, right? So this removes the conflict of interest if they bought out sc&p

Then they'd dump Don as sc&p gets Phillip Morris. He would be bought out, set for life, start his own agency, and Peggy, Pete, Harry, Stan, Freddie go off and start their own firm with burger chef in tow, having made an huge shift in advertising by filming the commercial around the restaurant setting instead of the household dinner table?

[This message has been edited by Bunk moreland (edited 5/19/2014 8:14a).]
SwaggerCopter
AG
That could be it. But there is also the possibility that McCann keeps Don on and lets go of some of the other jokers. They've been wanting Don for literally 6 seasons now and could have him. Plus, I think the move Don made with the Phillip Morris people last episode could make them more open to having him on board.
SwaggerCopter
AG
And I definitely don't think the Don-Peggy relationship will ever be romantic, but is sort of him realizing he has relationships with people who care for him too - something he's been looking for for a long time.
MW03
AG
I hope the Peggy/Don relationship mirrors the "Niece Stephanie"/Don relationship in that he wants to take care of her instead of bone her.

Don realizing he loved Peggy all along and ending up with her would probably make for one of the most singularly disappointing series finales ever, IMO.
keithd03
Just thankful there were no Betty/Sally/Henry scenes.
annie88
AG
quote:
I think they had to write bob benson out of the script because he's on another show

it just got cancelled, so if they're still filiming the second part, he could come back

quote:
God can we PLEASE NOW be done with Megan?

yes, please. this.

quote:
Megan...to me the short scene with Megan and Pete's girlfriend on the plane followed by the stewardess abruptly "closing the curtain" was symbolic. I think the curtain has closed on those relationships.

good observation.

I've watched this show since episode one and it's a really great show. but I will say, every season had a few shows that fell flat and others that just knocked it out of the park.

I do see some sort of reconstructed agency.

And, watching since day one, it's amazing to see how strong the bond is wih Pete, Peggy and Don given all the past between them, not to menion the baby given away. But it's believeable as well, especially with these three complicated people.

Pete was so smarmy at one point and still is to a degree, but he really recognizes Peggy's true talent after initially being a fling.
Bunk Moreland
It wasn't just Megan that got the curtain closed on her. Bonnie was also on that plane headed back.

I think we are seeing the curtain closing on La La Land for both Don & Pete. They both may still have to clean up some stuff from out there, but both realize they are at their best in NYC.
Rudyjax
AG
Pete is a guy I hated and now I like.

MW03
AG
UK, I was telling my wife the same thing last night. Basically, my opinion on Pete & Peggy swapped over the last couple seasons.
OldArmy71
AG
I agree that Pete is much better at seeing Peggy's talent, but he is still a jerk in his personal life. Putting the beer bottle in the middle of the cake and accusing Trudy of sleeping around (all while having his mistress waiting for him at the hotel) is the same old Pete.
annie88
AG
quote:
Pete is a guy I hated and now I like.

I can't quite like him, but he's amusing. he is still a jerk though.
Joan Wilder
AG
Pete is still a weasel in his personal life. At least he's not raping Au pairs anymore.

Megan just looked smug and happy flying back, unfortunately I don't think the curtain closing is the last we'll see of her. She's such a poser in her Pucci dresses and don's money, acting like a struggling bohemian. She just sucks and so do her storylines.

Peggy seems to be getting over Ted at least, and I loved the scenes with just her and Don. Their relationship often has one of them sniping unfairly at the other, but that shared history and talent bind them.
PascalsWager
AG
Charles Manson kills Megan. I can't think of a better time than the last episode of season 7a to do it.

Trust me, I read the books.
Smokedraw01
When does it come back on?
TCTTS
AG
Next spring. Likely April '15.
TCTTS
AG
Even though they're filming the series finale here in the next couple weeks.
Smokedraw01
That's just stupid.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
That's just stupid.
agreed but AMC has nothing to hang their hat on during the spring/early summer, so they are milking this cash cow for all it's worth while they look for the next big thing.

Hell on wheels, the killing, low winter sun... What am I forgetting? These AMC series are mediocre to epic fail compared to TWD, Breaking Bad and Mad Men. Jury is still out on Turn I think. Better call Saul has a chance to be really good.
Bunk Moreland
Bring back Rubicon season 2. Maybe it'll get a 15th viewer this time around.

Such a solid show that just never got the audience

[This message has been edited by Bunk moreland (edited 5/19/2014 10:13p).]
TCTTS
AG
Really hoping Halt and Catch Fire is worthy. AMC has some other interesting stuff in development as well, but it's all pretty far down the line.
Farmer1906
AG
Finally watched the new episode. Looks like Megan is leaving Don. She is packing more than just summer clothes, she's looking for the fondue to take, she seemed shocked/overly interested on when Don was coming to LA, and she puts the idea about meeting somewhere else. Sounds like either someone moved in with her or she's moving in with someone else.
Sex Panther
AG
I just watched this ep online because my AMC on demand was screwing up.

Pete's girl said "You're not gonna **** your way out of this," and followed the next scene with Peggy saying, "My ****ty idea."

Just curious, did they beep these out on television?
Farmer1906
AG
I could have swore she actually said **** your way out of this one, but figured I heard it wrong.
Ervin Burrell
AG
The f-bomb was censored, but Peggy saying "sh/tty" was not.
OldArmy71
AG
They beeped out the F word but not the S word.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.