*** Official MAD MEN seventh and final season thread ***

202,159 Views | 1733 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
Dave North
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am still a bit confused by Don's look after Bert's song. Looked like he'd been hit by a train. Kind of reminded me of his look after the Carousel pitch at the end of season 1 when he gets home and his family has already left town for Thanksgiving.

Was it realization that he'd lost his freedom and just become part of a corporate machine? Was overwhelmed by the uncertainty he just signed up for or overwhelmed with exhaustion from the insane number of events he had over the weekend?

That's probably my favorite part of the show. You can read all the reviews, recall the previous episodes, but there's just enough for you to chew on and interpret for yourself.

jh0400
AG
I restarted season one on Saturday, and it's really interesting to see how the different characters have changed over time. While it was good the first time, I think I'm enjoying it more the second time through now that I understand the larger significance of seemingly minor events.
et98
AG
quote:
I am still a bit confused by Don's look after Bert's song. Looked like he'd been hit by a train. Kind of reminded me of his look after the Carousel pitch at the end of season 1 when he gets home and his family has already left town for Thanksgiving.

Was it realization that he'd lost his freedom and just become part of a corporate machine? Was overwhelmed by the uncertainty he just signed up for or overwhelmed with exhaustion from the insane number of events he had over the weekend?

He's probably just tired of seeing dead people.
TCTTS
AG
Pretty cool behind-the-scenes look at a lot of the sets...

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/behind-the-scenes-photos-reveal-the-secrets-of-mad-men-1581644509
chico
AG
Peggy telling Julio that his mom loves him. But was Peggy thinking about her own child?
InternetFan02
AG
Yeah Peggy's kid would be 8-9 years old now. I think that's the first time ever she's had a close moment with another kid.
annie88
AG
I think Don will walk away in the end. Either start his own company or do something completely different.

They brought Peggy back around after her being piss and wind this season. Glad for that.

Was disappointed in Joan for voting against Don. Understood why she did, but I called her a ***** for doing so. But still like her character.

Harry's always getting screwed.

The Dick issue might come up and finally get him at some pint, but it hope not. Glad he and Megan are done.

Thought they were finishing in the fall, so bummed it will be more like Jan or March.

Bert's farewell was awesome. Kinda reminded me when patch guy was on something and did that tap number.

Great season overall. Almost done, but this has been a phenomenal series.
BQ_90
AG
I don't know why I find it odd that Roger in the end becomes the adult. I was actually thinking he'd bail on life and join the hippy commune with his daughter

TCTTS
AG
quote:
Thought they were finishing in the fall, so bummed it will be more like Jan or March.

More like April, most likely. Will probably follow the same release schedule as this first half. Debut in mid-April, series finale around Memorial Day.
StringerBell
AG
Great finale

Loved seeing Harry get screwed again
Sex Panther
AG
Awesome episode

Screw this half season crap

Not really sure what the whole song and dance thing meant to Don, but I like it
SlimM
AG
quote:
I have no real point with that, other than to say I'm really into space, stars, Mad Men, and True Detective.

+1!
Quad Dog
AG
I posted this on page one of this thread, but there is still some interesting stuff in 1969:

August - Sharon Tate murder, Woodstock
October - Miracle Mets win World Series
November - Apollo 12
Dec. - Stones Altamont Free Concert

The Stones Altamont Free Concert is considered the end of the hippie era. Could be interesting to see the rise (Woodstock) and fall of youth culture (Altamont)
Citizen Reign
quote:
Pretty cool behind-the-scenes look at a lot of the sets...

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/behind-the-scenes-photos-reveal-the-secrets-of-mad-men-1581644509

Thanks for the link TCTTS. Best art direction for a TV series ever.
SLF11
AG
Anyone think that when Roger's phone rang that it was going to be the cops stating that his daughter had died?

I knew we had discussed it earlier, so i instantly went there.
OldArmy71
AG
Here are the lyrics to the "old song" Roger quoted to Bert as he walked out the door. It's by Irving Berlin:

Why worry when skies are gray
Why should we complain
Let's laugh at the cloudy day
Let's sing in the rain
Songwriters say the storm quickly passes
That's their philosophy
They see the world through rose-colored glasses
Why shouldn't we?

[Refrain:]
Just around the corner
There's a rainbow in the sky
So let's have another cup o' coffee
And let's have another piece o' pie!

Trouble's just a bubble
And the clouds will soon roll by
And let's have another piece o' pie

Let a smile be your umbrella
For it's just an April show'r
Even John D. Rockefeller
s looking for the silver lining

Mister Herbert Hoover
Says that now's the time to buy
And let's have another piece o' pie!

Al Bula
AG
There is some hilarious obsession going on here regarding Roger's hippie daughter and Megan getting killed by a Manson-like cult. Really more entertaining to see what some of you can dream up.

My first thought when Roger's phone rang was that TexAgs was gonna be debating Roger's daughter possibly dying.
Sex Panther
AG
I thought the phone call to Roger was about Ted Chaough doing a moon landing off a balcony
Quad Dog
AG
via Reddit...
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
Anyone think that when Roger's phone rang that it was going to be the cops stating that his daughter had died?

Yep ... I was thinking overdose
Sex Panther
AG
Crazy to see where Joan is now
DanHo2010
AG
That chart is crazy. Did they ever explain what happened to Bert's sister's share of the company?

Also, they're keeping 49% of their ownership, which means 49% of profit, so they're still going to be making money off new business. $$$

[This message has been edited by DanHo2010 (edited 5/27/2014 4:43p).]
mm98
AG
quote:
quote:

Me too. Way off on that one.
Quinn
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nope, I immediately thought "oh no, Bert died."
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nope, I immediately thought "oh no, Bert died."

Bra-vo!
BallerStaf2003
AG
It was Don's Waterloo...after 6.5 seasons of avoiding and rejecting McCann (symbol of the lack of freedom, faceless accountants, no creativity, etc.) as a major plot/character point, he'll be working for McCann after all, and with a contract!
The best things in life are free, and now Don isn't. He took the world by storm, was defeated, came back from exile, and he's in chains at the end. Golden ones, but chains nevertheless. Maybe he finally wants those chains, now, though?
McCann is his St. Helena. At least for the contractual 5 years. That said, guess how long Napoleon was exiled at St Helena, after Waterloo, until he died of cancer? Five and a half years (October 1815 to May 1821).
AgLaw
AG
Wow, Baller. That's pretty good.
TCTTS
AG
Interesting.
BallerStaf2003
AG
I feel the last right episodes will be focused on their final days under contract at McCann.
Drawkcab
I thought Pete said he owned 20% during the meeting.
InternetFan02
AG
Excerpts from Sepinwall interviewing Weiner yesterday:

quote:
Speaking of songs, back at the start of season 3, you talked to me about how if you made it to the end of the decade, even with all the counter-culture, “My Way” would still be one of the big radio hits at the time. I take it you’ve been planning to use that song for a long time.

Matthew Weiner: My interest in history, and for the writers on the show, is always there to explore character. But there's a lot of historical things that for whatever reason are not of interest to the audience. At the same time, I want them to be of interest to the characters. The idea is that that song had just come out, in the midst of a golden age of rock n roll. And who knows if it's just kids listening to rock and just adults listening to Sinatra, but it had a very large cultural impact. Even at the time, people thought it was big and schmaltzy, but they did not stop listening to it, and there is something eternal to the message of it. And Frank Sinatra had a lot of hits in the late '60s, which is not the way that the traditional depiction of that period is done. It's really that simple.

Was that ever something you had considered as the final song of the series?

Matthew Weiner: No. For me, it was an explanation of the thesis of the show. There were a lot of people in the audience who were there, and it was their childhood, and they have a very distinct viewpoint on what was going on. And it has been cemented by the representation of the late '60s as this revolutionary moment, of cultural upheaval, whatever the cliche. My basic statement was there were a lot of people who were adults when this happened, and they had their own lives, also. It's just like the idea that as the hippies come along, "Oh, Don's going to be left behind." Well, you can read Playboy Magazine and you can see that a guy Don's age in a suit and a tie is still at the top of the heap in 1969. It's not like they were supplanted by people in bell bottoms and sandals. It really was a kind of acknowledgement of the fact that the way history has been metabolized is very different than the way it was. I'm not positive about the way it was, but I'm always trying to see it from the point of view of the characters.
Read more at http://m.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/mad-men-creator-matthew-weiner-on-singing-dancing-and-writing-the-series-finale#5Kg00lOjjehiorsc.99
Tldr summary: Weiner still hates hippies
InternetFan02
AG
Excerpt from Weiner on the Don-Peggy relationship

quote:
The story for me is that Peggy thought she was the boss the day she fired Joey in season 4 or whatever. That's not being the boss. You cannot give another person confidence; the same way you can't give another person integrity. And Don, working his way up in his own business, and discovering that doing his job was more important than being a wheeler-dealer — it was the only thing that he had control of in his life. And Peggy doing it her way — the thing that Don gave her was "do it your way," it wasn't "this is how you do it." And by the time the finale rolls around, you saw her give her version of a personal sales pitch that was earned. You can't give another person confidence. He's still the mentor in the relationship, but there is hopefully — I describe it as the joy of you're teaching someone how to ride the bike, and eventually you let go of the seat, and they just ride off. That's what I wanted it to feel like.
InternetFan02
AG
And it looks like Weiner acknowledges BallerStaffs theory on the meaning of the Bert Cooper song:
quote:
You always try to balance wanting happiness for your characters with what’s dramatically interesting. Things ended on a really positive note for almost everyone in “Waterloo.” How fearful should we be about what’s coming in the final seven episodes?

Matthew Weiner: I hope that people listen to the words to the song to some degree, and know that there is some bittersweetness to having all that material success. It is not really life. No one can own it. Do I want people to feel like somethin bad is going to happen? Yes, we're always playing on that. I was laughing at the fact that the story of Don's success in the company, is something where the tension was created because on "Mad Men," you can't believe that something horrible isn't going to happen.
annie88
AG
quote:
That said, guess how long Napoleon was exiled at St Helena, after Waterloo, until he died of cancer? Five and a half years (October 1815 to May 1821).

Well, there is scuttlebutt that Napoleon was poisoned...
NE PA Ag
quote:
Weiner still hates hippies

That may be true, but Weiner's answer to the question showed no sign of hating the hippies or counterculture. He was pointing out the fact that the vast majority of the people in this country had nothing to do with it and that corporatism was still winning at the time (and ultimately won). In the meantime, most depictions of the time lean very heavily toward showcasing the counterculture movement to the point that you'd think that other than a few grouchy old people, that's all there was.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.