*** Official MAD MEN seventh and final season thread ***

202,156 Views | 1733 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
Losman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wondered why he on the show....planet nepotism. I figured he would knock up Sally
AgDC
She wasn't serious about sending her son away. She was being sarcastic to point out that the dude basically (and inappropriately) asked her to choose between him and her son. The next few lines of dialogue make that clear.
OldArmy71
AG
Excellent episode regarding Don. So well done. Poetic.
Post removed:
by user
InternetFan02
AG
God I love Roger. Laughing at the the thought of him telling the story of how Lee Garner only needed Draper in the room so he could fantasize about jacking him off
InternetFan02
AG
Wait was that last Betty/Glen kitchen scene a dream sequence or real? Good Lord that was awkward
InternetFan02
AG
Only 2 episodes left until the penultimate episode to the season finale

"What are you talking about?!?!?"

"Ok"

"What are you doing here?"

"May I speak with you?"

(*maniacal laughter*) "You got me this time"
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Don has no wife, no home, no furniture, and his daughter just called him out for being a creepy old man. He's a blank slate ready for reinvention as Dick Whitman.

This. Peggy saying that was a big tell, I think. You never know with this show, of course, but after tonight, I really can't see Don at the agency much longer.

Regardless, I really like how they (Weiner & co) just keep chipping away at Don, essentially forcing his reinvention.
TCTTS
AG
That said, the two best things about tonight's episode:

- Every look and line Sally had at the restaurant table.

- Merideth, Don's secretary, has come out of no where to steal every scene she's in. She's now good for one great line and one great punchline moment every episode.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I liked Sally's exchange with Betty. "you're a little late Mom, and so am I." That and the Lee Garner bit were the two best comedy moments, which seem somewhat lacking lately.
Sex Panther
AG
Weiner's kid is giving Sofia Coppola in Godfather 3 a run for her money. Although if he'd have made him kiss Betty then I'd say he's probably the coolest dad ever.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Do you really want to see the show eventually jumping into the 80's with Old Man Don relapsing - yet again - and trying to pick up on Sally's friends at the New Wave dance club?

Close enough Harry
TexasAggie008
AG
I actually think his acting is good if the goal is to play a super creepy dude. What more do you want for that role? He looks and acts exactly like what they wanted there I think
512Ag
AG
He wasn't a main focal point of this episode, but last night I realized why I'm starting to like Pete: He's the only one who is willing to admit out loud that his life is ****. Sure, it comes off as whiney and complainy, but at least he knows it and sort of owns it. What makes it worse is that, while the other characters (Don and Roger, most notably) just seem to drift from one bad circumstance to another with a "what the hell just happened" look on their faces, Pete actually tries to fight against his awful life -- shallow though his attempts may be -- and always ends up failing. It's kind of awesome.
512Ag
AG
Also, 70s Glen Bishop = Artie Ziff from The Simpsons.

Trident 88
AG
quote:
He wasn't a main focal point of this episode, but last night I realized why I'm starting to like Pete: He's the only one who is willing to admit out loud that his life is ****. Sure, it comes off as whiney and complainy, but at least he knows it and sort of owns it. What makes it worse is that, while the other characters (Don and Roger, most notably) just seem to drift from one bad circumstance to another with a "what the hell just happened" look on their faces, Pete actually tries to fight against his awful life -- shallow though his attempts may be -- and always ends up failing. It's kind of awesome.

Pete is easily the biggest source of laughs now for this very reason. I look forward to every scene he's in.

Peggy is pretty funny, too. I loved her line about sh**ing all over Don's dreams.
Bunk Moreland
I enjoyed the content last night for the most part, but not as much the episode overall.

That being said, some great stuff in there. Don at dinner with the girls was hilarious with Sally's reactions.

Mathis completely butchering his attempt to fix the issues with the client was hilarious. He has never had confidence, and I'm glad it got dealt with in the way it did on screen.

Wondering now if we will see Don in a new apartment or not. He has 30 days to move out of his now sold apartment...if a big move is in store for Don, doubt we see yet another NYC home if he is planning on doing something big and leaving the agency, etc. The 30 days may serve as a sort of coutndown towards the end of the show. But now that I said that, it'll mean nothing and they'll pick up next week 2 months into the future with Don in his new place.
chico
AG
|
yes, Don is done. He's moving on with life. The state-of-the-union he's writing for Roger will turn into Don's philosophy on life. Don has said goodbye to Sally, and to Megan. He still needs closure with Betty (and the boys?). I don't see him having any more flings in the next couple of weeks. He's turning over his role at the agency to Peggy; he needs to move on with Joan & Pete. Don Draper will be gone & the person will revert back to Dick Whitman.
PJD Ag 10
AG
I struggle to understand Betty's relationship with Glenn. It was always weird, but I don't know if I see the reason why
TexasAggie008
AG
Anyone still predicting another Don-Betty hook up?
Joan Wilder
AG
If I recall correctly, Betty was feeling very lonely and isolated, and she clung to any kindness/compassion anyone offered her. It was around the time she realized Don was basically spying on her therapy sessions, and cheating on her. She was also flattered that he had a schoolboy crush on her. She let it get to far, and in typical Betty fashion, lashed out at him.
Fresh Off The Boat
My new prediction:

I think Don will give a masterfully crafted speech for where the company has come from and what they've been through. After that he'll be retiring and appointing Peggy as his heir apparent.

Then he moves to Alaska to become a lumberjack and he has a twinkle in his eye as the show ends.
AgLaw
AG
quote:
Then he moves to Alaska to become a lumberjack and he has a twinkle in his eye as the show ends.
AgLaw
AG
I want the last scene to be Don rolling over in bed and waking up next to Meredith.
Rudyjax
AG
This episode had the theme that its just a cylcle. Another big account, another idea, etc. just as Don's life is a kodak Carolusel.
TexasAggie008
AG
quote:
This episode had the theme that its just a cylcle. Another big account, another idea, etc. just as Don's life is a kodak Carolusel.
Time is a flat circle

oops wrong show (someone will get the reference)
Joan Wilder
AG
Andy greenwald tweeted a photo today of don in his office with a Kodak Carousel box falling apart on the shelf behind him.
Bunk Moreland
kjcAg
AG
Did Joan say she had been divorced twice or did I get that wrong?
Bunk Moreland
Yeah, she said twice. Sepinwall's review talks about one of his readers bringing it to his attention of some super vague reference Joan made to her friend who was visiting her in town multiple seasons ago as possibly alluding to a prior marriage, but that's the only thing that anyone has really found that brings it up before.
annie88
AG
Pretty good episode. Best lines were the Jane Fonda line and the I'm late.

Also Don telling Sally she IS them. But she's just a typical teenager who thinks she knows everything. Both he and Betty handled her well last night.

quote:
Creepy Glen gonna creep. Weiner's son still can't act.

I struggle to understand Betty's relationship with Glenn. It was always weird, but I don't know if I see the reason why
I've always liked his character. he's weird and always has been. Betty felt very sorry for him early on and has just carried that through when he shows up now and then. But she never meant for it to be romantic. I almost didn't recognize him at first.

Joan wasn't serious about her son, just showing how stupid what he said was. However, I did take her 'ruining my life" comment to be about the boy, but then when he said goodbye, she kinda pulled herself back.

the ad guy who misunderstood Don's advice (or purposely did it) cracked me up. If he's really that dense to not get that? cracked me up.

Can't wait to see where Don goes from here.... he's truly at a cross-roads.
512Ag
AG
I'm hoping Don gets to take Roger's place in the Bahamas and his speech goes like this:

mavsfan4ever
AG
What happened before between Betty and Glen? I thought I remembered Glen hitting on Betty when he was younger, or something really awkward like that happening between them. But I can't think of what exactly happened.
Bunk Moreland
Betty babysat for Glenn and he walked in on her pissing. She got all motherly with him, then he asked for a lock of her hair which she gave him. He then told her how beautiful she was but she was "lonely"

Later, he ran away from home and hid in the draper playhouse outside.

Later, Glen's mom confronted Betty about the lock of hair and called her out for being weird and Betty slapped her.

Then Betty saw Glenn in the car in the parking lot of the Super market waiting on his mom and they talked again.

Glenn originally represented an Avenue for Betty to talk to someone who was emotionally on her level because that was back when she was acting like a child, which Don and others called her out on

Joan Wilder
AG
Betty resented Glenn hanging around Sally after that and forbid her to see him. He came by to say goodbye and Carla let him; prompting Betty to fire Carla without giving her a letter of recommendation. One of the ****tiest things Betty has done in the whole series.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.