*** Official MAD MEN seventh and final season thread ***

202,134 Views | 1733 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, plus, there's no way Sally's 6 years older.
Quinn
AG
Are you going to write up a preview, TCTTS?
TCTTS
AG
If I have the time. Definitely plan on rewatching the previous seven episodes, and then I'll try to put something together.
TCTTS
AG
So... that Mad Men spot that just aired during the Oscars gave me chills.

Wow.
Quinn
AG
quote:

Wow.

Dang, I missed it.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:

Wow.

I'm not sure this aired for everyone because I missed it too
TCTTS
AG
It was Don's season one speech from "The Carousel" over a highlight reel of the entire series, set to a really great score. The second AMC puts in online I'll post it. So good.
TCTTS
AG
Found it. Video's on the right, halfway down the article...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-st-mad-men-oscars-academy-awards20150220-story.html

(May or may not have teared up a bit.)
Quinn
AG
Thanks for the link. I'm going through and watching a selected nver of episodes from each year to get ready for the final season. So many good memories, and it's fun to see how the characters, style, and relationships change.
InternetFan02
AG
We didn't get that commercial in DFW - I went back and checked. Thanks for the link.

I want to view 1 episode a season that showcases the Don-Peggy relationship

Season 1: "who are you....I'm the new girl"
Season 2: episode where they reveal Don visited her in the hospital and encouraged her to return
Season 3: season finale where don begs her to join the new company
Season 4: the Suitcase - GOAT
Season 5: when Peggy accepts the job at CGC and informs Don she's leaving
Season 6: tough season - probably the one where Don sabotages Peggy's commercial and her relationship with Ted - she calls him a monster
Season 7 next to last episode: sinatra/my way scene, ends at diner with Pete/Don/Peggy sharing a table
Season 7: finale with Peggy's burger Chef/Family Supper speech
TCTTS
AG
Final poster just hit (via Vulture). Plus, the official YouTube version of the "Nostalgia" trailer...

YouTube / MAD MEN Season 7 - "Nostalgia"

Citizen Reign
CAN'T WAIT!
Quinn
AG
Interesting that he is driving rather than standing in the city. I need to find a 5,000 word think piece breaking this poster down in detail.

YouBet
AG
I'm really curious how Roger ends up. He's the most intriguing character to me.
TCTTS
AG
Put up another quick post, this one with last night's trailer, the new poster, and all other posters from seasons past for comparison...

http://www.projectionlistblog.com/blog/2015/2/23/final-poster-mad-men-season-7
TCTTS
AG
I don't have time to rewatch the entire series before the April 5 premiere, but I do want to try and go back and watch 15 or so key episodes over the next month or so. I'll also definitely be watching the first seven episodes of this season as a refresher as well, but I thought it'd be fun to try and come up with a best of/favorites list that samples from each of the first six seasons. Let's say two to three episodes per season. Here's what I have so far from memory, but I would love some help filling in the blanks. Especially in seasons five and six, which I remember almost nothing about. Again, I'm NOT looking for a sequence of episodes that best-encapsulates the overall story, but rather just a best of/favorites list in general. Figure this could be a good guide for anyone else who wants to do the same. I'll update as we settle on a list...

Season 1.01 - Smoke Gets in Your Eyes

Season 1.12 - Nixon vs Kennedy

Season 1.13 - The Wheel (Finale) - Best pitch of the series, when I truly fell in love with the show.

Season 2.11 - The Jet Set - Don goes to Palm Springs on a whim. I love this episode so much.

Season 2.12 - The Mountain King (description below)

Season 2.13 - Meditations in an Emergency (Finale) - Cuban Missile Crisis and Betty cheats on Don.

Season 3.11 - The Gypsy and the Hobo - Betty discovers Don's past, finally confronts him.

Season 3.12 - The Grown Ups. - JFK assassination, Roger's daughter's wedding, Don/Betty divorce.

Season 3.13 - Shut the Door. Have a Seat. (Finale) - My favorite finale of the series.

(Really, this may be the best back-to-back-to-back three-episode run in television history. In fact, all of season three was on fire. I could pick another three home run episodes from this season, no problem.)

Season 4.07 - The Suitcase - Maybe the best episode of the series.

Season 4.10 - Hands and Knees (description below)

Season 4.13 - Tomorrowland (Finale) - Don & family go to California, he brings Megan, eventually proposes.

Season 5.05 - Signal 30

Season 5.07 - At the Codfish Ball

Season 5.11 - The Other Woman

(latest additions, descriptions below)

Season 6.05 - The Flood

Season 6.06 - For Immediate Release

Season 6.13 - In Care Of (Finale)

(latest additions, descriptions below)

Season 7 - ???

Season 7.07 - Waterloo (Mid-Season Finale)

BONUS EPISODES:

Season 1.02 - Ladies Room
Season 2.05 - The New Girl (description below)
Season 3.01 - Out of Town
Season 3.02 - Love Among the Ruins
Season 3.06 - Guy Walks Into an Advertising Agency (gif below)
Season 3.08 - Souvenir
Season 4.01 - Public Relations
Season 4.05 - The Chrysanthemum and the Sword
Season 4.06 - Waldorf Stories
Season 4.11 - The Chinese Wall (description below)
TCTTS
AG
You know what? Screw it. I'm not going to re-watch all seven episodes from the first half of this season. I remember a couple being fantastic, but there were some duds as well. So let's say 20 TOTAL EPISODES - to watch over the next five to six weeks - from the entire series, but there have to be at least TWO episodes from each season, including two from the past seven episodes (one of which should be the finale, so we're for sure up to speed).

So, we need:

- At least two more season five episodes.

- At least two more season six episodes.

- At least one more season seven episode (not including the finale).

Including the list above, that would bring the total to 15 episodes, leaving us with another FIVE episodes from any of the seasons to add.
BioAg08
AG
Just saw the "nostalgia" commercial during Better Call Saul... what a fantastic ad. Don's Carousel pitch is still one of my favorite moments.

Really looking forward to how they wrap this up!
InternetFan02
AG
Good list.

Season 5 favorites:
S5.5 Signal 30 - dark tone, Pete and Trudys house party, Pete and Lane have a fistfight after Lane tries to sign the Jaguar account by himself

S5.7 At the Codfish Ball - Megan saves the Heinz account during dinner, Roger meets Megan's mother, Sally attends Don's awards banquet

S5.11 The Other Woman - best episode of the season and best scene of the season (Peggy tells Don she's leaving for CGC) after Joan secured the Jaguar account by sleeping with the exec
BioAg08
AG
I agree with your season 5 choices... I also loved/hated "Commissions and Fees" (great episode but Lane's suicide was gut wrenching).

For season 6 I would offer "For Immediate Release" (efforts to go public are thwarted, Roger gets a meeting with Chevy, Don and Ted merge to win Chevy) and "In Care Of" (Don's confession during the Hershey pitch alone makes this a stand-out). Most of the other episodes in Season 6 run together for me..
InternetFan02
AG
Season 6 was rough and really stands out now as being the worst. The season with all the creepy ***** house flashbacks.

If I had to watch 3 episodes:

S6.5 The Flood - MLK assassination, Don takes Bobby to Planet of the Apes

S6.6 For Immediate Release - Don fires Jaguar during dinner (with Megan's mother along). Pete loses Vicks and his marriage officially after he catches his father in law at a brothel, Don and Ted Chaugh merge to land the GM account

S6.13 In Care of - just because it's the finale and a lot happens. Don melts down during the Hershey's pitch. Ted leaves Peggy for California and Peggy gets a cat, Pete gets outflanked by Bob Benson

Sex Panther
AG
InternetFan02
AG
Adding 2 episodes to the season 4 favorites list:

S4.10 Hands and Knees - Don panics over facing a background check for landing an airline account. This should have solidified Jon Hamm's Emmy along with the Suitcase

S4.11 The Chinese Wall - SCDP loses the Lucky Strike account, Megan seduces Don
TCTTS
AG
GREAT recommendations. Added them all above.

I guess it makes the most sense to do three per season for the first six seasons (18 episodes), then two for the first half of season seven (20 total). Then I'll have a little bonus section for a couple other great episodes.

So, now all we need is another episode for season one, season two and season four...
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Adding 2 episodes to the season 4 favorites list:

S4.10 Hands and Knees - Don panics over facing a background check for landing an airline account. This should have solidified Jon Hamm's Emmy along with the Suitcase

S4.11 The Chinese Wall - SCDP loses the Lucky Strike account, Megan seduces Don

Awesome. Missed this while writing my last post. Will add "Hands and Knees" to the master list (I remember that being a super-tense episode), and "The Chinese Wall" to the bonus section.
InternetFan02
AG
Season 2 other favorites:

S2.4 Three Sundays. The staff works overtime on the American Airlines pitch, which is ultimately cancelled abruptly. Love watching it all come together.

S.9 Six Month Leave - Freddy rumsen pisses himself and is essentially replaced by Peggy. Gets a classy send off with Roger and Don with Don getting to sucker punch Jimmy Barrett in an underground club.
Quinn
AG
I've been doing the same thing, and here is what I have watched so far:

Season 1
1. Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
2. Ladies Room
12. Nixon vs. Kennedy
13. The Wheel

Season 2
5. The New Girl - Don gets into a wreck while driving drunk with Bobbie and Peggy bails him out.
11. The Jet Set - Don and Pete head to California for business, while Duck sets PP&L's plan to buy SC into motion. Don goes off with the hippies.
12. The Mountain King - Don goes to visit Anna Draper for the first time and Dr. Rapey gets him nickname from this episode.
13. Meditations in an Emergency - Betty learns that she's pregnant, Don schools Duck when he tells him he doesn't have a contract, and Peggy devastates Pete when she says she could have had him but didn't want him, and that she gave away their baby.

Season 3
1. Out of Town
2. Love Among the Ruins
3. My Old Kentucky Home
6. Guy Walks into an Advertising Agency
8. Souvenir
11. The Gypsy and the Hobo
13. Shut the Door, Have a Seat

Season 4
1. Public Relations
5. Chrysanthemum and the Sword
6. Waldorf Stories
7. The Suitcase

Honestly, I might just watch the rest of season 4, its so great. Oh, and I got lazy after typing out season 2 episode descriptions.

TCTTS
AG
Updated the master list with my "final" picks, but really, it's so hard to call. Any one of those bonus episodes in season three and four could fit right in. Those are the two best seasons, hands down, in my opinion.

Anyway, overall, I think all these posts make for a pretty good "best of" list for anyone to follow. Gonna start knocking these out next week.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, guys.
95_Aggie
AG
IMO things just went downhill after season 3. They couldn't figure out what to do with Betty and then Meghan showed up.

A lot of what made the first 3 seasons so interesting was the dynamic between Don and Betty ... and their family ...and how Don was so different at home and at the office.
Quinn
AG
quote:
IMO things just went downhill after season 3. They couldn't figure out what to do with Betty and then Meghan showed up.

A lot of what made the first 3 seasons so interesting was the dynamic between Don and Betty ... and their family ...and how Don was so different at home and at the office.
While I would agree that Season 7 part I, Season 6, and maybe Season 5 aren't as good, Season 4 is still a 100mph fastball in my book. Starting from episode 5, The Chrysanthemum and the Sword, I believe that Mad Men goes on its best streak of episodes through the end of that season.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I don't see how you can't love season four. It's amazing. Five is where it definitely starts going downhill.
Scotch
AG
Watched the series for the first time the past several weeks. I deleted a bunch of network crap from my DVR to make time to see more and more of this quality show. I love it, and I have no idea where the next seven episodes will go.
Bunk Moreland
Currently on s5e5 of my 3rd time through the series. Been watching live from the start, re watched prior to last season and now re watching again.

This has been my favorite time through. Such good television.
DonaldFDraper
AG
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mad-men-uncensored-epic-never-780101
Bunk Moreland
thanks for posting, great read.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.