*** Official MAD MEN seventh and final season thread ***

202,088 Views | 1733 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
J.P. 03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wait a minute...I just realized something: if Don went back to McCann to produce the Coke spot, does that mean Meredith got her job back?!?
AggieDarlin
AG
She probably wrote the ad in pig latin
thirty-two
AG
Did someone say Meredith?

Quinn
AG

Alternate ending to Mad Men.
Bunk Moreland

I liked this one better...
annie88
AG
At first I thought Meredith was a twit, but really came to like her character. She was oddly very efficient too.
OldArmy71
AG
In watching some of the old episodes, I realized that Meredith is the front receptionist who allows the process server access to Joan when her husband files for divorce. Joan explodes, and Meredith keeps saying, "You're not allowed to do that...."
TCTTS
AG
Pretty interesting...

http://www.thewrap.com/see-mad-men-creator-matthew-weiners-secret-list-of-plot-points-he-intended-to-tackle-by-series-finale-photo/
Bunk Moreland
Yeah I saw that.

Funny that some of the stuff many of us wondered if they'd go back to was actually on a list of things they wanted to try to re-visit.
Duncan Idaho
I wish they would have hit on Sal and where is he now.
YouBet
AG
quote:
quote:
I watched the wire and most of sopranos after they had aired, caught up late with lost as I joined after the first 3 seasons (watched all eps before watching new ones live), started Breaking Bad the same way in between seasons 3 and 4.

I started Mad Men in the first season live. So it has been a slow burn all these years enjoying this amazing show.

I really think it's at the top for me, with a very close couple of shows below it. But due to the "traditional" (weird to say that as if it's almost no longer the norm) viewing of this series week to week, year to year... It just has a different nostalgic effect for me than the others.

What a phenomenal show. This one isn't replaceable in the Sunday night lineup.

Right there with you. I joined each of those shows (save for Lost, which I was with from day one) in almost the exact way. But with Mad Men, driving to work one day in 2007, I remember seeing a billboard for it on Sunset Blvd - the red and black lettering with the silhouette of a man sitting/smoking - and something about it immediately grabbed my attention. I remember getting to work, Googling it, watching the trailer, and thinking I HAVE to watch that. And I fell in love immediately upon first viewing. Back then, I didn't know a single other person who watched the first season. It felt like such a personal/underground thing. In fact, I don't remember it really blowing up until season two.
We just now finished tonight. Amazing series although I will say I thought the Stan and Peggy thing was really forced. I would have rather seen a much more subtle get together that was more in line with the shows DNA. We've all seen it brewing in the background but the way they tied it up was very Sam and Diane sitcommish. Was WTF just like everyone else until the last scene. Brilliant.

Anyway, the reason I quoted you is because your post made me think of 2007. My wife and I had just gotten married and I had heard about this show. We sat down to watch the premiere and something emotional happened to that night (got a bad phone call or something - I don't remember) and we didn't get back to the show until 2010 or so. Caught up on Netflix and have been watching live for last 3 seasons. I'm not sure why I remember this...but GD I will miss this show.
Bunk Moreland
So I just went through my dvr and realized I still have yet to delete the finale. Is that weird? I feel like it's weird.

BTW I'm still not going to delete it just yet. Man I miss this show.
Goat Man
AG
I miss it too. Great tv show, one of my all time top five.
AggieSouth06
I did a rewatch recently over a period of a few months. Loved seasons 1-5 as much as I used to. Season 7 was significantly worse the second time around. Made it halfway.

It not only butchers the tone and gets totally lost, it destroys characters and fundamentally changes their relationships.

I hate season 7. A lot.
Goat Man
AG
Interesting. I will have to do the same. I did not like Season 7 as much as previous years but don't remember it being that bad.
Al Bula
AG
Great series but I don't think I'll rematch like I have shows like The Wire, Sopranos or Breaking Bad.
Quinn
AG
I actually enjoyed going back and watching single episodes a lot more than I expected. So many great hours of story that can stand on their own.

I wasn't the biggest fan of P1 of S7, but I really enjoyed P2 of S7 (up until the finale, which I found horrendous). I'm sure that I will go back and watch it again from the beginning some day.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
I actually enjoyed going back and watching single episodes a lot more than I expected. So many great hours of story that can stand on their own.

I wasn't the biggest fan of P1 of S7, but I really enjoyed P2 of S7 (up until the finale, which I found horrendous). I'm sure that I will go back and watch it again from the beginning some day.

I agree. Before S7p1 and p2, I had already seen the first 6 seasons twice, and then re-watched everything again prior to p2. It's extremely easy to fall back into it and "get lost in that world."

Also agree of S7p1. It wasn't my favorite. The finale has grown on me a lot, but I'm still in the camp that the series could have ended with him on that bench and Buddy Holly - Everyday in the penultimate, and that would have been the perfect sendoff for me.

But I don't fault Weiner for wanting to give an ending to all the characters. I recognize most of the audience still has the need for answers.

One thing about the show, specifically in comparisons to some of the other greats like The Wire, Sopranos & BB...all 3 of those shows benefited from the criminal element so much. And we all know crime sells for TV shows on all levels. It's just such an easier topic watch over and over, due to how many elements of it there are(and all 3 of those shows took criminal activity and violence and presented it their own way).

Mad Men doesn't have any of that. But it's a lot easier to re-watch than one might initially think.
TajMaballer
AG
Just finished the series all the way through for the first time and I'm very tempted to run it back immediately!

I am very excited to see how Weiner's new show The Romanoffs is when it premieres in a couple weeks on Amazon.
Liquid Wrench
WTF, this is the last season? Why didn't anyone tell me? ?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.