*** Official MAD MEN seventh and final season thread ***

202,199 Views | 1733 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Am I the only one posting from the throne right now after holding it in for GoT and Mad Men?

Nope
Post removed:
by user
depogs
AG
I hated the ending but literally 10 min later I love it. I'm gonna miss Mad Men.
ElephantRider
AG
Seems like one that may take a second viewing for some people
Yesterday
AG
Don't over anaylise it. Peggy told him to come home, reminded him about Coke etc. don's at a hippy retreat, he gets the idea "ding" and then you have the cole commercial. It wasn't fireworks but it works.
AgLaw
AG
quote:
quote:
Don wasn't smiling because he found himself or finally got to start anew. Don was smiling because - on a hippie retreat, while in his "meditation" - he just came up with the Coke ad.

That's ******* genius.

Peggy saying "They'll take you back" wasn't an accident.

I will love this show forever.

Yeah I think you're exactly right. He's never gonna change. This is who he is.

Every minute it becomes more and more brilliant...

But I'm really bummed right now
Disagree. He might have changed. Depending on your interpretation of the character and the man, it's possible his "moment of clarity" was in the therapy session when he realized he'd been searching for love from others but when they offer it, he doesn't recognize it. In my view, that's his salvation.

The meditation at the end, however, is his moment of realizing the ad. He creates the Coke ad. He'll have a different outlook on life, but he's still Don Draper. And Don Draper is a creative machine.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
that ad may be iconic but the only reason i know about it is because of this thread

That is the most famous ad of all time. It's on another level.
saltyoldguy
AG
quote:
quote:
That is the single biggest commercial in advertising history. It's iconic.

Exactly. My guess is that those who don't like the ending just wanted something to explode.

Or, they are too young to remember that commercial.
Post removed:
by user
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Don wasn't smiling because he found himself or finally got to start anew. Don was smiling because - on a hippie retreat, while in his "meditation" - he just came up with the Coke ad.

That's ******* genius.

Peggy saying "They'll take you back" wasn't an accident.

I will love this show forever.

Yeah I think you're exactly right. He's never gonna change. This is who he is.

Every minute it becomes more and more brilliant...

But I'm really bummed right now
Disagree. He might have changed. Depending on your interpretation of the character and the man, it's possible his "moment of clarity" was in the therapy session when he realized he'd been searching for love from others but when they offer it, he doesn't recognize it. In my view, that's his salvation.

The meditation at the end, however, is his moment of realizing the ad. He creates the Coke ad. He'll have a different outlook on life, but he's still Don Draper. And Don Draper is a creative machine.

Hmm... I like that interpretation
MW13
AG
Count me in the camp that loved it. I was amazed that several times I looked down and noticed my fist were white knuckle clinched. Not even Breaking Bad did that to me which is wild because they are so different.

Ya there could have been a little less commune for my taste but it all paid off.

I also felt like the 2 phone calls (to Betty and Peggy) plus the Peggy/Stan call were some of the best scenes of the series which is great for a finale.

All I really wanted was Don to find some peace whatever that meant. He's one of the most tortured souls in tv history and that's all I wanted and feel that's what happened.

Did he go back and nail it? Move in with his kids and be a great dad? Maybe so. Did he feed it to Peggy and she blows up and he stays living happy on the west coast? Even better. Either way I'm happy.

No show has ever made me feel so nostalgic. I'm going to miss it. Bravo indeed.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
quote:
So Don goes back to McCann and writes the sappy Coke ad?
Maybe. He DID have a shi*t eating grin on his face....

How could you have any other conclusion? It was obvious.
AgLaw
AG
Agree. Very fitting that a show about advertising would end with an ad.

Those who don't understand the connection have missed a very big part of what this show was about.
saltyoldguy
AG
quote:
anyone claiming the episode was a fitting ending is a moron.

Here
Producers_96
AG
I thought I saw earlier in this thread where it was mentioned that Matthew Weiner said that they wrote unique ads for Don, rather than ads that were used during that era, so as to not disrespect the creative people that actually came up with the real-life campaigns. Doesn't this fly in the face of that (despite that the campaign came from McCann-Erickson)?
aggiegrad03
AG
I loved it. I was on the edge of my seat through the whole episode and then laughed when they ended with the coke commercial. So good.
AgLaw
AG
quote:
All I really wanted was Don to find some peace whatever that meant. He's one of the most tortured souls in tv history and that's all I wanted and feel that's what happened.
Blue star for this.
PatAg
AG
In reference to saltgap saying "we just wanted somethign to explode"

that asinine comment couldn't possibly apply to anyone still watching this show. You wouldn't make it this far if that is your outlook. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to wish that something more/different had happened with Don, or to not be completely satisfied with the episode or not think it's great.
PatAg
AG
meh
ElephantRider
AG
I liked it at first, but the more I think about it the more I love it. I don't think it could've been more perfect
BBRex
AG
Throwing the Coke ad in there was a brilliant end, because it is just as ambiguous as the Sopranos ending. We have nothing but our own hopes for Don (or Peggy) to have created an iconic ad. Maybe Don smiled because he thought up the Coke ad. Maybe Don smiled because he finally found peace. Maybe Stan helped Peggy channel that ad while she was typing furiously in her office. Maybe the Coke ad was shown to represent a new era in advertising and had nothing to do with Don or Peggy. There are plenty if interpretations, and none are directly supported.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I thought I saw earlier in this thread where it was mentioned that Matthew Weiner said that they wrote unique ads for Don, rather than ads that were used during that era, so as to not disrespect the creative people that actually came up with the real-life campaigns. Doesn't this fly in the face of that (despite that the campaign came from McCann-Erickson)?

That's the brilliance of it. That they're only hinting at it, not outright saying it. If someone wants to interpret it as Don simply finding himself/starting anew, they could. That's said, there are clues planted everywhere.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Throwing the Coke ad in there was a brilliant end, because it is just as ambiguous as the Sopranos ending. We have nothing but our own hopes for Don (or Peggy) to have created an iconic ad. Maybe Don smiled because he thought up the Coke ad. Maybe Don smiled because he finally found peace. Maybe Stan helped Peggy channel that ad while she was typing furiously in her office. Maybe the Coke ad was shown to represent a new era in advertising and had nothing to do with Don or Peggy. There are plenty if interpretations, and none are directly supported.

THIS.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
That's said, there are clues planted everywhere.
especially Jim Hobart whispering "Coca Cola" at Don.
Producers_96
AG
quote:
That's the brilliance of it. That they're only hinting at it, not outright saying it. If someone wants to interpret it as Don simply
finding himself/starting anew, they could. That's said, there are clues
planted everywhere.

I don't see that as brilliance, though. I see that as creating negative space wherein the viewer can fill that space in with whatever they think it means (see modern politics). They fill in that space with their own ideas, and think that it's brilliant as a result. Which, at the end of the day, I guess is the point of Don's style of advertising.

I may be a grizzled old fart, but that seems like a waste of 8 years to me.
cecil77
AG
In about a millisecond it went from the worst finale since M*A*S*H to the best since Newhart!

Don is Don. All is right with the world.

Mad Men always skipped mundane (and obvious) details. The only ambiguity was whether Don's walkabout was knowingly research, of if, like always, his brain was working in the background. He went back to McCann, and create the most iconic advertising slogan in history, and the biggest commercial until 1984.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
I don't see that as brilliance, though. I see that as creating negative space wherein the viewer can fill that space in with whatever they think it means (see modern politics)

See also, advertising
AgLaw
AG
quote:
I see that as creating negative space wherein the viewer can fill that space in with whatever they think it means (see modern politics). They fill in that space with their own ideas...

Dude, that's what art is.
Joan Wilder
AG
All I know is a cheered out loud in my living room at the Stan and Peggy scene. Fan service? Maybe? And i LOVED IT.

OldArmy71
AG
Assuming that the interpretation is correct that Don goes back to NYC and writes the Coke ad, what does that mean for him?

From a positive perspective, it means that--for the time being, anyway--he has returned to what he is brilliant at, and we can imagine the forceful, dynamic, man-in-charge Don becoming even more a legend in advertising than he already was.

The negative side is that he really hasn't changed, and will periodically go through times when he agonizes over the harsh truth that Betty says to him, that the boys' lives are better if he is not around, and that he is incapable of holding on to intimate relationships. Then, as the pattern in the series has shown, he will accept himself with all those limitations and "return" to do something brilliant again, superficial as it may be.
ElephantRider
AG
Agreed, the Stan and Peggy scene was ****ing nails
cecil77
AG
Reviewing thought here, I wonder how much is age related?

Unless you were around when that ad, and Coke. The Real Thing. first came out it was HUGE. That ad, may be the biggest and most iconic in history (maybe the Apple 1984 ad is bigger).

Ditto to the other comments. I was SO pissed watching how Don wasn't getting an ending and everyone else was. Then that little smirk and with in the first three notes of the Coke song I was giggling like a little girl!
Producers_96
AG
quote:
Dude, that's what art is.

Oh, I'm well aware that most "art" is no more than what people BS themselves that it is. Doesn't mean I have to buy into everyone else's interpretation

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.