*** Official MAD MEN seventh and final season thread ***

202,174 Views | 1733 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
That's the brilliance of it. That they're only hinting at it, not outright saying it. If someone wants to interpret it as Don simply
finding himself/starting anew, they could. That's said, there are clues
planted everywhere.

I don't see that as brilliance, though. I see that as creating negative space wherein the viewer can fill that space in with whatever they think it means (see modern politics). They fill in that space with their own ideas, and think that it's brilliant as a result. Which, at the end of the day, I guess is the point of Don's style of advertising.

I may be a grizzled old fart, but that seems like a waste of 8 years to me.

You must have hated the end of Inception too.
95_Aggie
AG
MW has always said one of the themes of show is that people really never change, so I am assuming that Don goes back and gets lucky with an ad, but his personal life remains a shambles.

Maybe we'll have to wait for the movie ... :-)
Malachi Constant
AG
I need to watch the scene with the guy telling the story about his refrigerator dream again.

They all smile, but they don't pick you. Then the door closes. Light goes off again.
Scotch
AG
quote:
I need to watch the scene with the guy telling the story about his refrigerator dream again.

They all smile, but they don't pick you. Then the door closes. Light goes off again.
That was a good story.
saltyoldguy
AG
quote:
In reference to saltgap saying "we just wanted somethign to explode"

that asinine comment couldn't possibly apply to anyone still watching this show. You wouldn't make it this far if that is your outlook. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to wish that something more/different had happened with Don, or to not be completely satisfied with the episode or not think it's great.
Lighten up Francis
Sher Thing
AG
Thought it was a fitting ending. Anyone who has consistently watched this show should have saw an ending like that coming. I enjoyed it. Just hate that the show is gone.
TSJ
AG
So did Don make the coke pitch?...or did Dick?
TCTTS
AG
Honestly, I'm so over the moon for that ending that I'm not even sad the show is over. On every level, that was absolutely perfect.
AgLaw
AG
quote:
quote:
Dude, that's what art is.

Oh, I'm well aware that most "art" is no more than what people BS themselves that it is. Doesn't mean I have to buy into everyone else's interpretation

If you think art is "what people BS themselves that it is", I'd suggest you find entertainment elsewhere.
aggiegrad03
AG
I agree. I thought it was perfect.
Dave North
It always cracks me up when people r mad that a finale didn't meet their expectations of what a finale should be.

If you are talented enough to create a series , especially one the quality of Mad Men, and know it's your finale, you get do what YOU want with it.
Dave North
quote:
So did Don make the coke pitch?...or did Dick?

It was Duck
cecil77
AG
Rewatching a bit.

The entire episode Don was in jeans, and either a t-shirt or a flannel plaid shirt. Needing a shave in most of the scenes. Hair a bit disheveled. In the final scene he's in his white shirt an khaki's and his hair (and make up) are back to being impeccable. Subtle perhaps, but pretty clear. Man Men has always let the viewer fill in lots of obvious blanks. This was no different. Actually showing him going back, pitching the idea etc wouldn't be nearly as good as the way they did it.
AgLaw
AG
In right there with you. Absolutely perfect. Resonated in so many levels.
Malachi Constant
AG
4stringAg
AG
Excellent ending to an awesome series. To have Don knowingly smile with the Coke ad beginning to play was perfect.
512Ag
AG
quote:

So three pages ago, man.
PatAg
AG
why dont you **** off saltgap. This is one forum where people generally don't troll each other because they are bored. Go have some fun in General.
TCTTS
AG
Btw, underrated moment of the episode: Joan ultimately using both her last names - "Holloway & Harris" - for her production company because "you need two names to make it sound real." So perfectly fitting.
Producers_96
AG
quote:
Btw, underrated moment of the episode: Joan ultimately using both her last names - "Holloway & Harris" - for her production company because "you need two names to make it sound real." So perfectly fitting.

Definitely agree with this.
AgLaw
AG
quote:

Ha. Didn't even notice that.
PatAg
AG
Yea, I really liked everything with Joan, even deciding to bet on herself over someone she felt she was in love with. Peggy and Joan were great characters, who I felt were fighting similar battles but in different ways.

I liked that Ken also got a nice nod in this episode too.

Peggy using Pete's "a thing like that" line was great.
95_Aggie
AG
Everyone had a happy ending but poor Betty.
Scotch
AG
Ah, I wondered who Holloway was. Awesome.
Budrickson03
AG
Seeing Don smile (and then the iconic Coke ad) reminded me of this quote from Tony Soprano in "College":

"You know one thing about us wise guys? The hustle never ends."

I don't think Don changed at all. He may have wanted to, but he'll always be a brilliant ad man.
Scotch
AG
She is leaving on her terms, and deciding the best place for the boys.
cecil77
AG
I am new to this thread, so apologies if this has been covered.

Both my kids and I watch Mad Men. I am convinced that the entire series has nuance that just can't be seen or felt by people much under the age of about 60 (my age). Certainly it can be enjoyed immensely, but there are just things about it. A radio ad playing in the background. Pervasive cigarette smoking. Kids standing up in the front seat of the car. A TV show the kids are watching. Minor details in clothing. Things on counters and around the house. etc etc etc
The show's time period covered my life from 6 to 16. It as taken me back and made me remember things I hadn't thought of in years. I thing some of these things younger people might not notice when they do, think they are caricatures. They really aren't. Mad Men absolutely nailed the era, it's culture and style.
MW13
AG
Speaking of underrated moments how about Meredith translating all of Roger's speech into pig Latin?
redag06
I'm 30 and saw/noticed the cars, clothing, things on the counters(my first car was on a box of cereal in one episode.) I also knew the coke ad, so maybe I'm different than others my age.
saltyoldguy
AG
quote:
why dont you **** off saltgap. This is one forum where people generally don't troll each other because they are bored. Go have some fun in General
Again, lighten up. Wasn't pointed at you, pissy. Was just a comment on what I perceive as a desire by some for a really dramatic over the top ending.
AgLaw
AG
Cecil, great take. The whole series is about nostalgia. From episode one all the way to the end. I'm 44, but this series resonates with me as the child of people who would have been contemporaries of Don. My dad would have been a few years young than Don but older than Peggy, Pete, etc.
PatAg
AG
Cecil's point is a good one. First show I can remember taking it to such an extreme level of detail...goes for movies too.
GreasenUSA
AG
I enjoyed the prologue of scenes throughout the series with "Times of Your Life" playing. But I thought it was even more effective when it played immediately after the credits for the second airing.

Just noticed that in the final scene before Don goes to meditate, he walks to the edge of the cliff, and moves so that the sun is behind his head - creating a silhouette - reminded me of the opening credits of the show.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
I just don't get the vibe that Weiner will have any kind of future epilogue. I don't think he will evem have a montage. I think it will just be Don gazing out a window or something while a song plays.

This was pretty damn close.
OldArmy71
AG
quote:
reminded me of the opening credits of the show.
Good point.

And as others have noted, even though that wonderful opening credit shows everything falling away from Don, its final image is of Don on a chair or sofa, smoking, clearly at ease and in charge. He lands on his feet even though everything has seemingly been taken away from him.

Again, that idea supports the notion that he does not really change and is not changed by all the losses in his life.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.