*** Official MAD MEN seventh and final season thread ***

202,130 Views | 1733 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I like the idea of the show ending with Betty's funeral. As one of the blogs posted earlier in the thread alluded, Don could spend the night before flipping through old photos of her and the kids on the Kodak carousel.

And since I'm pretty sure we'll never see another epic Don Draper client presentation, wouldn't a eulogy be the next best thing? I could see Henry making some brief, politically correct remarks and then turning things over to Don for his thoughts on life, death, love, and priorities. And we'll all gather back here on Monday morning and at least one of us will swear it was the single best monologue ever delivered in the history of television.

Damn it, J.P., if it's not this now I'm going to be pissed (i.e. I'm definitely going to be pissed).
Cyprian
AG
quote:
Here is what I know: no one on this thread will get it right.
You're right.

Technically speaking.
J.P. 03
AG
Yeah...sorry guys. The much more likely ending will probably be more like this: We'll still see Betty's funeral, and the whole time Henry and the priest are talking the camera will cut back to Don with his trademark "just wait until it's my turn to talk...you'll be weeping before I start my 4th sentence" face. You'll nudge the person next to you and say, "Here it comes. Here comes the greatest speech in television history." You'll pre-emptively pull up this thread so you can be the first one to post about it.

...And then the camera will pan over, and we'll see that the whole time the other people were talking, Don wasn't coming up with anything brilliant at all. He was completely tuned out and just trying to sneak a peek down the front of one of Betty's hot friends' dresses. They'll ask him to speak, and he'll just offer up a nonchalant "no, I think Henry covered it." Fade to black. Classic Weiner head fake.
boogieman
AG
I don't think we'll see Betty's funeral. I think the next episode takes place roughly a month later, same as they have done all through the series.

I have a feeling we're in for a David Chase (Weiner worked on The Sopranos) style ending. Story is complete, it works thematically, but it's slightly ambiguous.
StringerBell
AG
Was anyone else feeling really tense during the fundraiser scene? I kept thinking that somehow someone there would have known dick/don during the war and called him out about it.
Post removed:
by user
Malachi Constant
AG
Looking forward to some scotch during the finale on Sunday.
aggiesq
AG
anyone got a tally of the number of cancer deaths in this series?

I was rewatching an episode from season 3 last night and Roger's old flame, the one with the dog food company, had recently become widowed, her husband having died from lung cancer.

TCTTS
AG
From early April. Pretty sure Aaron Staton (Ken Cosgrove) is talking more about vibe/feeling, but this is interesting nonetheless, given our recent speculation...

quote:
You were shooting the last episodes a year ago or so. Do you remember how you felt when you wrapped? Was it emotional?

It was emotional. And it was surreal. It was quite honestly, way more emotional, for the final shot of the whole series. To be honest, I don't remember what that was, right off the top of my head. But that was more emotional than whatever my last shot was. Everybody had a last shot. That felt surreal. Both were surreal, but that one [the final shot] was more like a funeral.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/interviews/a34138/aaron-staton-mad-men-interview/
annie88
AG
I read that only 5 of the cast know how it will end. Seems like Don, Joan, Peggy, Roger and maybe Pete

quote:
after the cast's final table read, Elisabeth Moss (aka Peggy Olson) revealed to him that only five cast members -- the show's original main characters -- got to read the last 20 pages of the finale script.

"She goes, 'Oh yeah, Matt [Weiner, the show's creator] pulled us into a room afterwards and told us how it really ends,'"
annie88
AG
this is an interesting take from a comment from a fan in an article...

quote:
Don's young protege (quite predictably) blows it. Gets drunk and dies in a fiery head on crash in Don's Caddy. Body burned beyond recognition but still bearing a superficial resemblance to Don himself, they trace vehicle records and decide Don Draper has tragically perished while on a typical bender.

Cue heartstrings being plucked, Don sees the event on TV and realizes he has his out. Insurance pays out and bank accounts all go to Sally Draper, who is now set for life. Don then gets the grand prize of all grand prizes: he's able to attend his OWN FUNERAL, where Roger cues up the most eloquent eulogy in the history of all TV, essential summarizing the whole Mad men universe in 3 minutes or so, all while a newly unkempt and bearded Don/Dick/whoever sits in the back unrecognized taking it all in.

Realizing that the ruse has to be complete for the good of all involved, Don knowingly lets go of and walks away from his former life completely and with no strings attached, the ultimate bittersweet ending. Cue the Beatles "Long and Winding Road" and pull out the tissues. Now there's an ending for you!!!
TCTTS
AG
quote:
this is an interesting take from a comment from a fan in an article...

quote:
Don's young protege (quite predictably) blows it. Gets drunk and dies in a fiery head on crash in Don's Caddy. Body burned beyond recognition but still bearing a superficial resemblance to Don himself, they trace vehicle records and decide Don Draper has tragically perished while on a typical bender.

Cue heartstrings being plucked, Don sees the event on TV and realizes he has his out. Insurance pays out and bank accounts all go to Sally Draper, who is now set for life. Don then gets the grand prize of all grand prizes: he's able to attend his OWN FUNERAL, where Roger cues up the most eloquent eulogy in the history of all TV, essential summarizing the whole Mad men universe in 3 minutes or so, all while a newly unkempt and bearded Don/Dick/whoever sits in the back unrecognized taking it all in.

Realizing that the ruse has to be complete for the good of all involved, Don knowingly lets go of and walks away from his former life completely and with no strings attached, the ultimate bittersweet ending. Cue the Beatles "Long and Winding Road" and pull out the tissues. Now there's an ending for you!!!

Ha, that would actually be kind of cool. All I know is that Don's social security card from two weeks ago HAS to come into play, and something along these lines could incorporate that.
annie88
AG
another theory from a fan...

quote:
The Falling Man is Duck Phillips. Pete finds out Duck, either by negligence or guile, has screwed up the Lear deal. They get in a struggle in Pete's office and Duck backs into one of the loose windows. Boom. Duck soup.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
another theory from a fan...

quote:
The Falling Man is Duck Phillips. Pete finds out Duck, either by negligence or guile, has screwed up the Lear deal. They get in a struggle in Pete's office and Duck backs into one of the loose windows. Boom. Duck soup.

What drives me nuts about the "falling man" theory - no matter who it is - is that the figure doesn't fall to his death. He "lands" in a couch/chair, striking the famous pose in the logo. And it's clearly/obviously Don, btw - it's Don's original office that collapses/falls away, and that's definitely Don in the logo. In fact, I'd venture to say that will be the final image of the show: Don sitting on a couch, back to the camera, right arm extended, relaxed and smoking a cigarette. One could argue that the credit sequence of Don losing his office / place in the world, and then tumbling through existence, is the exact arc his character has now taken. Thus, he finally ends up content on the couch (even though we did already see a reverse version of this image in the final shot of "The Jet Set" in season two, when Don goes to Palm Springs)...

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
The "falling man" imagery was explained a long time ago, but the explanation is too simple for people who watch tv like they're staring at a Rothko painting.
512Ag
AG
quote:

quote:

Don does have a little Tom Sawyer in him. That would be a clever ending.
MW03
AG
quote:
after the cast's final table read, Elisabeth Moss (aka Peggy Olson) revealed to him that only five cast members -- the show's original main characters -- got to read the last 20 pages of the finale script.

"She goes, 'Oh yeah, Matt [Weiner, the show's creator] pulled us into a room afterwards and told us how it really ends,'"

So we can divine, then, that Peggy has no scenes in the last 20 pages, considering that Weiner pulled her into a room to show them too her (as opposed to her seeing them in a shooting script).

We can also divine that the last 20 pages (or 20 minutes by typical pacing) only involve the 5 original characters, again presumably those AMC is featuring in the round table before the show this season. So the last 20 minutes are between Don, Roger, Joan, and Pete (having eliminated Peggy because of her comment outlined above).

***Just taking the opportunity to speculate as much as possible on Mad Men in the death throes***
Quinn
AG
quote:
quote:

So we can divine, then, that Peggy has no scenes in the last 20 pages, considering that Weiner pulled her into a room to show them too her (as opposed to her seeing them in a shooting script).

We can also divine that the last 20 pages (or 20 minutes by typical pacing) only involve the 5 original characters, again presumably those AMC is featuring in the round table before the show this season. So the last 20 minutes are between Don, Roger, Joan, and Pete (having eliminated Peggy because of her comment outlined above).

***Just taking the opportunity to speculate as much as possible on Mad Men in the death throes***
I don't remember what article that is from (I know I read it - GQ maybe?), but it said that Weiner gave everyone a script with a fake ending, then brought in the main people and gave them the script with the real ending.
annie88
AG
quote:
The "falling man" imagery was explained a long time ago, but the explanation is too simple for people who watch tv like they're staring at a Rothko painting.
I've never heard it, please share.
annie88
AG
quote:
In fact, I'd venture to say that will be the final image of the show: Don sitting on a couch, back to the camera, right arm extended, relaxed and smoking a cigarette.
I could see that too.
cone
AG
I starred your comment and wanted to let you know.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
I starred your comment and wanted to let you know.

Especially if you've ever stared at a Rothko painting and wondered wtf you were doing sitting in that chapel.
MW03
AG
Appropriately, this Rothko sold last night for $46.5 Million.

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
quote:
I've never heard it, please share.

It's about aging. Don (and possibly Roger) is the falling man. An old Korean War vet trying to keep up with the times. Losing his grip. You see it in the Miller scene when he is passed by a younger exec and he looks to the window, eventually falling out both literally and figuratively. You saw it a couple seasons ago when he and Roger needed a band for the beans campaign. Don't remember where I first read that theory years ago, but it sort of makes sense. Not the whole story of Dick Whitman, but part of it.
Rudyjax
AG
People are stupid that's why they're all about the falling man.
cone
AG
navel-gazing aside, i like the rothko chapel. it's so quiet it makes you feel crazy.

although it's absurdly cold in there.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
Appropriately, this Rothko sold last night for $46.5 Million.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sothebys-sells-rothko-for-46-5-million-1431486062

What are we doing with our lives?
cone
AG
trying to scratch meaning out of the cold darkness of oblivion
MW03
AG
It looks like the shirt Charlie Brown would have worn if he was a Chelsea fan.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
It looks like the shirt Charlie Brown would have worn if he was a Chelsea fan.

Say that in three thousand words and you've got a Grantland article.
Sher Thing
AG
Just incase you wanted to know: Mad Men Season 1 just started on AMC. They are playing all of mad men up to the finale.
OldArmy71
AG
Reproductions on the internet (or anywhere) do not do justice to the size, colors, and textures of Rothko's paintings. They are wonderful works, and they do indeed represent an attempt to find meaning in an indifferent universe.
J.P. 03
AG
Well, if ever there was a place where a bunch of Internet strangers could over-analyze a simple yellow canvas with a blue rectangle on it and extract every possible ounce of meaning from every possible angle, it would be this thread.

And we're gonna have lots of time on our hands starting next week.
Cyprian
AG
quote:
Appropriately, this Rothko sold last night

I see water and piss, not impressed
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
trying to scratch meaning out of the cold darkness of oblivion

That's what people do.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.