*** Official MAD MEN seventh and final season thread ***

202,215 Views | 1733 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
InternetFan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Surprised no one mentioned how don was checking out his office window, and the fact that it opens (I think)

Still don't think they go that route though
don went awol on the company soon after scoping out the window. Symbolism of abandoning his advertising career? I don't think he's going back unless it's some venture with Peggy and Joan. And roger. **** I don't know
Quinn
AG
Two top 15 episodes in a row. Peggy and Roger - what a great combo! Don't care how it ends, just tell me two more great stories, Mad Men.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:

Just finished and was hoping there would be a gif of this. Maybe one of my favorite scenes ever in any show. So awesome....

And Peggy skating around the old office to Roger playing the organ is up there as well... Then with Don going full Kerouac and picking up the hitchhiker as Major Tom played out... this was easily one of my favorite episodes ever. Loved the Joan angle and her showdown with Big Man McCann too. Really going to be bummed when this is over.
BDG02
AG
Really great episode....Peggy skating around the empty office had us cracking up...

Love how these last episodes have all been chipping away at Don's self-confidence, and it all came to a head in the Miller meeting.

-Roger asked Don to write the forecast for SCP, feeding his ego in doing so, only for Don to find out he had asked Ted to do it first

-His realtor comments on how depressing his old apartment was and how "you wouldn't know it" responding to Don's "a lot of great things happened here!"

-Rachel Menken dies and her sister tells Don she had everything she wanted at the end

-Sally's "I don't want to be like you" tirade, and her leaving for school without Don

-The copywriter who got fired for telling Don's alpha male joke, tells Don that stuff like that only works because he's handsome, and Roger had said the original joke only worked because Lee Garner wanted to hook up with Don

That Miller meeting was the culmination of it all. First Don is overwhelmed at the number of MCE people there; he's no longer the big fish in a very small pond. Second he hears Ted basically admit to another that he got a similar "you're my white whale" welcome from Hobart; Don's wasn't so special after all, just an ego-flattering session. And then that MCP guy begins a Don-esque pitch to perfection...that Miller beer pitch sounded so much like Don had written it and was presenting it, it was crazy. Don realizes that maybe he isn't God's gift to advertising after all; he can't bring anything more to MCP. This young guy already is on par with anything he can do... He listfully watches the plane fly across the sky, all those people flying away from NY while he sits in a meeting he's not needed at, and he bails...

Ted told Don in the bar back in Detroit I think when their agencies merged that he always hated Don's unbridled confidence. That Don always thought too highly of himself, and Ted hated it; that it was false confidence and there are others in the business just as good and much better than Don...

Ted smirks as Don leaves, as he knows Don's confidence is shaken; he's realized in seeing this other young guys pitch, that he couldn't do any better..
Bunk Moreland
Those Miller meetings were the very early preliminary meetings around the introduction of Miller Lite.

Is Don going to come in and create that campaign as a final swan song, or is he gone from McCann for good, and it's just more convenient timing just to show ME truly is the massive advertising machine, that churns out Draperesque work due to default by numbers of creative directors on staff versus it all hinging on one great mind?
Bunk Moreland
And also, was that the end of Joan? I'm assuming we won't see her until the series finale if we do see her again, but I'm thinking that was her finale last night
AgLaw
AG
quote:
Those Miller meetings were the very early preliminary meetings around the introduction of Miller Lite.

Is Don going to come in and create that campaign as a final swan song, or is he gone from McCann for good, and it's just more convenient timing just to show ME truly is the massive advertising machine, that churns out Draperesque work due to default by numbers of creative directors on staff versus it all hinging on one great mind?
I don't think Don comes back to NY. BDG's analysis of the meeting is pretty good. Don saw a younger version of himself, realizes he's nothing more than a cog in a machine and takes off.
CT75
AG
Correct me if I'm mistaken.....Don drove to Racine, WI then picks up a hitch-hiker on the way to St. Paul MN? Am I correct? That's headed away from NYC. Don's not going back...at least on that route.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Yes, I believe you're correct.

Don disn't know or care where he was going.
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
Correct me if I'm mistaken.....Don drove to Racine, WI then picks up a hitch-hiker on the way to St. Paul MN? Am I correct? That's headed away from NYC. Don's not going back...at least on that route.
thats correct. I don't see how don ends up back in NY. No way in hell he works for McCann and there doesn't seem to be enough time to just get him to another agency. Would be a weak ending imo

If they never show Peggy or Joan again I think this epidode gave us closure - Joan took the money and moved on instead of fighting a losing battle. Peggy is marching forward with full determination.

Harry is happy to become an anonymous Dbag at McCann - his story is over. Ken also has closure. And Megan. Surely the Racine waitress is finished as well.

So we have Roger, Pete, Betty, Sally and Don left. Previews indicate next week will be heavy on Pete and Betty. I hope we get at least one more Sally scene.
InternetFan02
AG
Also let's remember the season theme poster showing Don driving away from something.
Bunk Moreland
Yeah I agree with all, it's just interesting the timing of that campaign with Miller, but I do agree that Don took off.

I will say this...2 years ago I predicted the show would end with Don getting his white whale in Connie Hilton, and landing the entire Hilton account, finally giving Connie the "moon."

As the series progressed with so much Megan and other ****, I knew it would never go back that way, but it was kind of funny for me with 3 episodes left for them to just casually drop Hilton's name into the conversation when talking to Don. But obviously with 2 hours of show left at most, that will never happen.

Hoping Peggy and Joan got their send-off last week. Looks like Sally, Betty, and Pete will get theirs next week.
BDG02
AG
Good call on the poster.

I'm beginning to wonder if Don will fake his own death; let "Don Draper" die.

The mention in the recap before the show of Roger saying Don would want to die in the middle of a pitch, Meredith hands him the envelope of all his "Don Draper" documentation, the odd scene of Don pushing on the noisy window in his new office, his visit with Betty (missing the kids, and telling her to knock 'em dead) felt like a goodbye, Diana's daughter making the comment that if her mother won something then she should be the one to get it (as if she thinks her Mother is dead)...

Will Dick kill Don so that he can start new, and his kids can be the beneficiary of his McCann money (his contract may have a clause that in the event of his death, his full due may go to his beneficiaries). Lord knows he's not going to work there for several years to collect it, and Hobart may fire him before he gets the chance to collect after this latest stunt...
chico
AG
Good idea that if "Don" dies then the kids get the money.
Don did say goodbye to Betty, rubbing her shoulders & showing her at least some affection after all these years. And pushing the office window was his feeling trapped in that confining office, like the window was jail bars.
The conference room scene was outstanding. The slick presenter with the story of Joe the Plumber types, the drones around the table all holding their pens & opening the packets simultaneously. Agree that Peggy roller skating to Roger's music was way cool.
InternetFan02
AG
quote:

Will Dick kill Don so that he can start new, and his kids can be the beneficiary of his McCann money (his contract may have a clause that in the event of his death, his full due may go to his beneficiaries). Lord knows he's not going to work there for several years to collect it, and Hobart may fire him before he gets the chance to collect after this latest stunt...
thats it. Why else would they show him receiving his social security card from Meredith? They also had a line where McCann observed to him that he didn't need to wear the full Draper suit everyday. So all he has left are his car, his suit and his social security card.

He's faking his death after picking up some waitress that reminds him of ________ and moving to _________ to start over as a car mechanic. Then they flash forward 10 years as he's working on a car and he meets some kid who is struggling with getting into advertising and he offers himself up as a consultant. That would be the cliche ending
annie88
AG
The scene with Roger and Peggy on the organ and skating was just brilliant.

Not happy Don is trying to find Diana, but whatever.

Joan did the right thing.

That scene with Peggy walking in like a boss was excellent as well. When you think how timid and little girlish she was in the first episode, it's amazing.

Looking forward to the final two weeks, come what may.
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
That scene with Peggy walking in like a boss was excellent as well. When you think how timid and little girlish she was in the first episode, it's amazing.

would love to see a gif of the pilot when she's timidly walking to draper's desk crossed with this one. Wonder if they framed it the same as they often do
Bunk Moreland
A lot of the "classic moments" scenes they've been plugging were Joan telling Peggy to stop dressing like a little girl way back in season 1, so seeing her walk in and own that hallway was awesome after all the years.
MW03
AG
Great, great episode but I'm realizing I'm not going to get the coda i want in the finale. I really want Don to "win" for some reason i can't quite put into words. Maybe I've been admiring him in some perverse way, but the idea of the series ending with him losing everything without any redemption as Don Draper has me feeling disappointed.
Quinn
AG
quote:
The only thing working against this is the fact that most episodes are 1 month apart, so Don could easily make his way back to NYC by the beginning of the next episode.
CT75
AG
quote:
quote:
would love to see a gif of the pilot when she's timidly walking to draper's desk crossed with this one. Wonder if they framed it the same as they often do
Also the one of Peggy quitting the first time, her scene with Don, then looking back at the office and then walking into the elevator ...then that great riff from the Kinks blasts out. An absolutely incredible 5 mins of the show.

The smile/smirk she had on her face as she walked down the hall was very reminiscent of last nights "walk down the hall".
InternetFan02
AG
They could have had the young Miller guy say something to Draper like "I've admired your work for years, now watch as I deliver this awesome pitch for the common man just like you used to do for Lucky Strike" That could promote a theme that Draper has left a lasting legacy in advertising - the next generation of creatives has his influence.

But they didn't show it that way at all.
BDG02
AG
I guess that's going to be the final question of the series; what is "winning"?

Don can win as many clients as he wants with brilliant pitches, bed as many stewardesses as he wants, amass as much wealth as he can get, but end the end has he really won?

He's still the same self-loathing *****'s kid whose trying to define some sense of self-worth through business success and sex. He's not happy. He's got no one who really loves him, including himself, despite all the material success.

Maybe winning in the end will be exit stage left and seeking real happiness and not just some preconceived material notion of what makes men happy...
Bunk Moreland
Don at the Miller meeting was just his version of what Joan was experiencing.

Obviously the chauvinism and blatant harassment towards Joan has its own story, but Hobart's meeting with her about her partnership and new status was basically the same thing as Don was seeing in his own way as well.

Hobart doesn't give a **** the Joan had some little partnership at SC&P. There is no more SC&P, her accounts are worthless to the ME machine, so he doesn't give 2 ****s about her. Either she puts a smile on her face and does as told, or she can GTFO. Harsh, and it crushed her, but she realized life ain't so bad if she takes 250k instead of the 500k remaining and just gets out of the way. She's at a different point in her life.

Don was the same way. "is this the miller lite meeting?" all shocked that they don't care about him any more than the other 25 guys in the room, who are all diligently taking notes. Just another piece of machinery.
CT75
AG
I still think there is more to the leaky window gasket and Don going over to push it. I'm not convinced he's going to commit suicide....but there IS something to that little snippet that will play out IMO.
MEEN Ag 05
AG
So it's all coming together now. The final scene will be Joan taking the quarter mil and lighting $10,000 dollars at a time on fire, rides up the elevator throwing one burning wad of money out on every floor of the McCann building to burn it down.
Don, actually in his office but taking a nap, wakes up to the flames just outside his office. He has to make a choice either to find a way out or let the flames consume his alcohol infused body. He then has to force open the faulty window and jump out to escape the flames. Scene to black.
Of course this all happens to "Don't Stop Believing"
Bunk Moreland
quote:
I still think there is more to the leaky window gasket and Don going over to push it. I'm not convinced he's going to commit suicide....but there IS something to that little snippet that will play out IMO.
I think you saw it.

They paid homage to the opening credits, but it's just a metaphor for Don's life in advertising. Just a subtle "there you go" for all the fans who were looking for that as a potential ending.

But who knows. 2 episodes left, and they could take it anywhere they want.
annie88
AG
quote:
quote:
The only thing working against this is the fact that most episodes are 1 month apart, so Don could easily make his way back to NYC by the beginning of the next episode.
When he asked the hitchhiker where he was going and they guy said St. Paul, Don answered with "I can go that way"

He's aimlessly wandering at this point and he doesn't give a ****. Why not go there? Will be interesting to see where this leads. Do wish he's actually sleep some while on his road trip.
Sex Panther
AG
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
So it's all coming together now. The final scene will be Joan taking the quarter mil and lighting $10,000 dollars at a time on fire, rides up the elevator throwing one burning wad of money out on every floor of the McCann building to burn it down.
Don, actually in his office but taking a nap, wakes up to the flames just outside his office. He has to make a choice either to find a way out or let the flames consume his alcohol infused body. He then has to force open the faulty window and jump out to escape the flames. Scene to black.
Of course this all happens to "Don't Stop Believing"

Classic Weiner
Trident 88
AG
quote:
He's aimlessly wandering at this point and he doesn't give a ****. Why not go there? Will be interesting to see where this leads. Do wish he's actually sleep some while on his road trip.

He's going back to Cali, to Cali, to Cali...
InternetFan02
AG
-by the end of today someone somewhere will have researched everything that happened in St Paul Minnesota in fall 1970 for some clues.

-agree that don abandoning his advertising career with only a suit and social security card is the equivalent of jumping out of the window if that's how they want to end it.

-lets flashback to near the end of season 7.1 at the Don-Peggy "My Way" scene as Peggy is struggling with the burger chef pitch.

quote:
Don: "I worry about a lot of things...But I don't worry about you."

Peggy: "What do you have to worry about?"

Don: ""That I never did anything. And I don't have anyone."

And now Don sees how he never did anything. He's just a faceless cog in the McCann machine. And he doesn't have anyone unless you want to count his work family Peggy, Pete Roger and maybe Joan.

TCTTS
AG
quote:
So we have Roger, Pete, Betty, Sally and Don left. Previews indicate next week will be heavy on Pete and Betty. I hope we get at least one more Sally scene.

Previews were only heavy on Pete and Betty I think because even without dialogue, a single shot of Don would spoil where he is /what he's doing next episodes. I've noticed those previews do that before; they'll leave the biggest characters out because even a single frame would "spoil" their plot line. Point is, I'm sure Pete/Betty have prominent storylines, but they may still be second fiddle to whatever Don, Roger and whoever else are going through.
annie88
AG
quote:
-by the end of today someone somewhere will have researched everything that happened in St Paul Minnesota in fall 1970 for some clues.
Well, I know Mary Tyler Moore was spinning around throwing her hat in the air!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.