*** Official MAD MEN seventh and final season thread ***

202,124 Views | 1733 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
Al Bula
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
  • haven't quite put my finger on what Weiner was getting at, but it's not a coincidence that Joan tried cocaine (coke) in an episode centered on a Coke ad.

I took it to show how times were changing. New decade, different drugs becoming popular.

Coke really skyrocketed in the mid 70s but Joan having a toot definitely showed how pot was about to be displaced as the new, hot recreational drug.
annie88
AG
quote:
That says more about you than it does the show. It did not meet YOUR expectations.
same goes for those who liked it. the show DID meet your expectations as a fan.
cecil77
AG
Or you don't have expectations. I try to watch shows and just go along for the ride.
annie88
AG
quote:
Or you don't have expectations. I try to watch shows and just go along for the ride.
I do, have loved this show from the beginning, but I just wanted a bit more in the finale. That's all. We can all agree to disagree.

It was a great series.
TCTTS
AG
Even more thoughts from Sepinwall...

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/mad-men-joans-glasses-harrys-cookie-and-more-series-finale-odds-ends
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
quote:
That says more about you than it does the show. It did not meet YOUR expectations.
same goes for those who liked it. the show DID meet your expectations as a fan.

If most finales fall short to you, then your expectations are too high.
Malachi Constant
AG
Underrated scene: Marie and Roger in the hotel room. Roger is only happy when he has a woman telling him what to do.
ElephantRider
AG
quote:
I agree but a TV show that took great pains to stick to story lines that fit into our reality. It sort of sucks if it tossed all that in the trash in the final scene.

McCann-Erickson is a real company and none of those people were ever on the payroll. There goes your "reality"
BBRex
AG
In historical fiction, the characters are the fiction placed in a larger historical fact. But nice try.
Malachi Constant
AG
All the endings:

Duncan Idaho
Just watched it.
havent read the thread (up to page 45)

Loved it. Just the right amount of closure and just the right about of "white space". Perfectly balanced as an episode, perfectly balanced as a finale, perfectly balanced as a series.

I loved how they played out an entire "will they, won't they" drama in 10 ****ing seconds. like Peggy, I had never thought of them together and then BAM! There it is and it works, peferctly.

Bravo.
dreyOO
I'm gonna miss this show. Probably my favorite of all time. Just because of a lot of personal connections. Draper is the man.
PatAg
AG
Or maybe it was warm in california and shirtsleeve was more comfortable than a suit.
PatAg
AG
This show always had a ton of great visuals, and last night was no exception.

Personally, I don't love the ending, but I get why people do. Not going to take away one bit of how much I liked the show though.
Bunk Moreland
I watched the wire and most of sopranos after they had aired, caught up late with lost as I joined after the first 3 seasons (watched all eps before watching new ones live), started Breaking Bad the same way in between seasons 3 and 4.

I started Mad Men in the first season live. So it has been a slow burn all these years enjoying this amazing show.

I really think it's at the top for me, with a very close couple of shows below it. But due to the "traditional" (weird to say that as if it's almost no longer the norm) viewing of this series week to week, year to year... It just has a different nostalgic effect for me than the others.

What a phenomenal show. This one isn't replaceable in the Sunday night lineup.
Trident 88
AG
As for me, I don't like ambiguity. I don't like the "choose whatever ending you want to believe" bullsquat.

I can stop short of needing to see Don pitch the Coke ad idea and blow away all of the McCann haters, but I want to know for sure if he went back to McCann in NYC or just fed the idea to Peggy.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I watched the wire and most of sopranos after they had aired, caught up late with lost as I joined after the first 3 seasons (watched all eps before watching new ones live), started Breaking Bad the same way in between seasons 3 and 4.

I started Mad Men in the first season live. So it has been a slow burn all these years enjoying this amazing show.

I really think it's at the top for me, with a very close couple of shows below it. But due to the "traditional" (weird to say that as if it's almost no longer the norm) viewing of this series week to week, year to year... It just has a different nostalgic effect for me than the others.

What a phenomenal show. This one isn't replaceable in the Sunday night lineup.

Right there with you. I joined each of those shows (save for Lost, which I was with from day one) in almost the exact way. But with Mad Men, driving to work one day in 2007, I remember seeing a billboard for it on Sunset Blvd - the red and black lettering with the silhouette of a man sitting/smoking - and something about it immediately grabbed my attention. I remember getting to work, Googling it, watching the trailer, and thinking I HAVE to watch that. And I fell in love immediately upon first viewing. Back then, I didn't know a single other person who watched the first season. It felt like such a personal/underground thing. In fact, I don't remember it really blowing up until season two.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
As for me, I don't like ambiguity. I don't like the "choose whatever ending you want to believe" bullsquat.

I can stop short of needing to see Don pitch the Coke ad idea and blow away all of the McCann haters, but I want to know for sure if he went back to McCann in NYC or just fed the idea to Peggy.
yeah i agree mostly...actually i don't mind ambiguity as long as it is unambiguous...lol...what i mean is I don;t have to see Don in a montage going back to NY, pitching the idea, etc....for me if you just had exactly the same entire show up until he smiles and the chime sounds...and his eyes pop open and he jumps up all excited and trots off saying "sorry....i gotta go" and then queue the commercial. but maybe thats just me.
Trident 88
AG
quote:
quote:

yeah i agree mostly...actually i don't mind ambiguity as long as it is unambiguous...lol...what i mean is I don;t have to see Don in a montage going back to NY, pitching the idea, etc....for me if you just had exactly the same entire show up until he smiles and the chime sounds...and his eyes pop open and he jumps up all excited and trots off saying "sorry....i gotta go" and then queue the commercial. but maybe thats just me.

Sure. Something like that. Cue the commercial right after we know for sure that Don came up with the idea. Not as good as seeing the process and the pitch, but that would be good enough.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sure. Something like that. Cue the commercial right after we know for sure that Don came up with the idea. Not as good as seeing the process and the pitch, but that would be good enough.

I respect your opinion, but I respectfully disagree... Much more impactful this way.
TCTTS
AG
People who want things spoon fed baffle me to no end.
Bunk Moreland
Hell I wanted it even more ambiguous. I liked the bus bench ending for a series ender.
StringerBell
AG
If you don't like ambiguity I can only imagine your frustrations during the "next time on mad men" montages
cecil77
AG
Wasn't at all ambiguous to me. Actually seeing Don do his thing on Coke would have been anticlimactic for me.
BBRex
AG
quote:
Wasn't at all ambiguous to me. Actually seeing on do his thing on Coke would have been anticlimactic for me.

No, that was Joan.
ElephantRider
AG
I agree that it was more impactful than watching him go back and make the pitch would've been, which it's obvious that he did
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
Wasn't at all ambiguous to me. Actually seeing on do his thing on Coke would have been anticlimactic for me.

Agreed. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Its not ambigious.
Joan Wilder
AG
You keep using this word ambiguous. Im not sure it means what you think it means.

The Sopranos ending was ambiguous. This ending was pretty damn clear. And I loved it.
StringerBell
AG
Agree that it wasn't ambiguous

We knew McCann had coke

We knew don was on coke

Peggy mentioned coke

Don has a moment of clarity

Cut with an iconic coke add

That's not ambiguous.
Trident 88
AG
As I originally said, we don't know if he rejoined McCann and pitched the idea himself or if he just fed the idea to Peggy.

I know what ambiguous means, and there's certainly a level of it here. If you prefer it that way, that's cool. I don't.
ElephantRider
AG
I don't know why some people are set on convincing themselves that he gave the idea to Peggy. I don't see that as a possibility. It's pretty obvious to me that he went back to McCann
Trident 88
AG
I guess that depends on whether or not you think Don was motivated enough to rejoin the small army of creative types at McCann.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
You keep using this word ambiguous. Im not sure it means what you think it means.

The Sopranos ending was ambiguous. This ending was pretty damn clear. And I loved it.

Funny I did not think the sopranos was ambiguous at all and I loved it. I liked this too but thought it could have had just a little more reference. But I liked it too. I just had to kind of process it after for a while.
JDUB08AG
AG
quote:
I don't know why some people are set on convincing themselves that he gave the idea to Peggy. I don't see that as a possibility. It's pretty obvious to me that he went back to McCann

Same here. That would mean Peggy rode the coat tails of an idea that wasn't hers, which is completely contrary to her character and talent. She got to her position on her own merits and this concept waters that down, which doesn't resonate with me.
Joan Wilder
AG
Janie Bryant tweeted out the picture of the hippie with the red ribbons in her braids and the coke commercial girl with the comment "not a coincidence".

Seems pretty clear to me that Weiner was signaling that Don went back and created the ad. He's always found creative breakthroughs after emotional breakthroughs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.