*** Official MAD MEN seventh and final season thread ***

202,194 Views | 1733 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
annie88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
As far what happens to Roger, i think he dies.
I could see this.

I also noticed Don looking at the window on the preview. probably means nothing, but who knows, maybe he'll climb out and fall like the opening..

but, I see Roger dying as the most likely scenario.
MelvinUdall
I have loved this show since day one, what I am having trouble with in this last season is what the overall goal/ending is for the show. Just tough to follow for me right now.
annie88
AG
I just hope no more Diana. Stupid, stupid storyline for Don and a waste this season of his time iyam.... so glad she was gone last night.
cone
AG
so you're extrapolating the pilot's plot device to the finale?

sounds good.

I honestly thought Don was just reminding them of their old slogan to solve their smoking kills people problem. Not creating something that'd been around since WWI.
MW03
AG
How many episodes do we have left anyway? There's 30 days until they Join McCann, and the typically worthless "previews from next week" at least seemed to have scenes taking place inside the SC&P office building. I'm wondering if we're going to make it to the merger at all, or if the series is going to end with some people going and other not. Realistically, I just don't see them having enough time to set up new pitches from new offices in 2 or 3 episodes. For a company like Coca-Cola, that would mean integrating Don with an entirely new team already working on the business.

However...

If they make it to McCann, and if they make it to Coca-Cola, I'm betting Don puts Peggy on the business, and "Buy the World a Coke" is her big idea that she talked about in Don's office that he "**** all over" when they were doing her review.
MW13
AG
Love that idea and last night's episode. It had so many of the great things I love about the show. There are also very few characters I've ever come around on like Pete Campbell.

Also funny to see Wiener trolling everybody with the preview for next week ending with Don looking down out the window.
OldArmy71
AG
Great episode! Very strong.

Two minor complaints: The whole Scottish feud keeping Tammy out of the school was insane. I get the symbolism, but come on......

I agree with the earlier comment that the employees' reactions to Don's speech is not very realistic. Again, the symbolism of loss, chaos, fear of the future, no one listening to Don's powerful words any more (just as Don gets cut off making his play to save the agency earlier).....I get it. It just didn't work for me.

This episode is much more the sort of thing Mad Men does at its best.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
How many episodes do we have left anyway?

Three.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
The whole Scottish feud keeping Tammy out of the school was insane. I get the symbolism, but come on......

Oh, come on yourself. That was HILARIOUS.

quote:
I agree with the earlier comment that the employees' reactions to Don's speech is not very realistic. Again, the symbolism of loss, chaos, fear of the future, no one listening to Don's powerful words any more (just as Don gets cut off making his play to save the agency earlier).....I get it. It just didn't work for me.

Agree with you 100% on this, though.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
so you're extrapolating the pilot's plot device to the finale?

sounds good.

I honestly thought Don was just reminding them of their old slogan to solve their smoking kills people problem. Not creating something that'd been around since WWI.

Say what? No.

All i am saying is Don Draper, in the show, created "Its toasted."

Then a few people say that maybe Don creates the famous "I'd like to buy the world a Coke".

Then Harry Lime says "I dont think they'd use the actual ad in the show."

Then I said, well, they used "Its toasted" so you never know.

Why the **** I am explaining this to you do to your lack of you using your critical thinking skills is beyond me.

And yes, they had Don come up with it. See the links above.

512Ag
AG
I'm not so sure McCann is actually going to put everyone on the accounts Jim pointed out to them. Those guys are tricky as hell -- case in point, the absorption of SC&P. He could've just been baiting them with the dream accounts he knows they can't resist. I think Don is the only one they have any use for, and this is just a ruse to get him onboard. The rest of the crew are completely disposable to McCann.
Rudyjax
AG
Anyone notice the lighting was similar to the lighting they use in LA?

As in New York is dreary?
Bunk Moreland
quote:
I'm not so sure McCann is actually going to put everyone on the accounts Jim pointed out to them. Those guys are tricky as hell -- case in point, the absorption of SC&P. He could've just been baiting them with the dream accounts he knows they can't resist. I think Don is the only one they have any use for, and this is just a ruse to get him onboard. The rest of the crew are completely disposable to McCann.

Yes. I also agree with that. Hobart singling them out one by one with a major account(cept for Joan) was nothing more than Nick Saban laying his championship rings out on the table in front of recruit. Just serves to reinforce that you're joining the top of the top, and you'll have world class facilities and structure to work on massive accounts.

But as we all know. McCann is just a machine, and this certainly worries many of the partners.

Joan clearly knows she's just going to be inter-office tabloid fodder, never respected.

Roger is just another gray hair in the office, and as you can see from his attempts at the final scene speech to the company, he's just a figurehead, increasingly more worthless

Pete will be another account man in a company with tons of accounts. All the work he has ever done and built for himself all the sudden looks basic and ordinary at Mccann.

Ted is all about it. Less responsibility, just put him in an office and let him work advertising, which is all he's wanted.

Don may or may not be enticed with the white whale(Coca Cola), as it was hard to gauge his true reaction to it so far.

But in the end, they are now part of a machine, and not the machine.
Quinn
AG
I have no idea what Don ends up doing, but I don't think it entails working for McCann. Also, I don't see any Roger dying foreshadowing at all, but maybe I'm just missing it...
Bunk Moreland
Another thought: I think my favorite scene last night was the head hunter and Peggy. Her entire growth in her business career has been with SC&P or some version of it. She has done very well for herself, and earned respect she always covets. She wants to be the first female creative director at S&P(that wont happen I don't think with 30 days to go before it's dissolved), and she also wants to crate that one massive, amazing, perfect advertising campaign and receive the pride and glory from it.

Then, hit with news that they were being absorbed, she quickly reaches out to see where else she's wanted. Her entire business life has had a certain feel to it(much like for Pete-who said it's the only job he's ever had), and the conversation with the head hunter was very real and eye-opening for her. Sure, there are offers, but nothing close to her current pay or job title. If she jumps now, she's still a girl in a man's world, always having worked at a boutique ad agency, who took a step down to move to a new job. OR, she goes to a very well-recognized and massive organization ME, puts in some time at a big corporation, gets to add that prestige and power to her resume, and in a couple years, she will be able to make a jump UP when she leaves, versus going down a few rungs right now.

It wasn't a super powerful scene or anything, but I think it was a very well done scene for the progression of Peggy's career, in the next few episodes, and the decades beyond which we wont ever see or know.
MW03
AG
And it hit home for anyone that's an accountant or lawyer, I'm betting.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
I have no idea what Don ends up doing, but I don't think it entails working for McCann. Also, I don't see any Roger dying foreshadowing at all, but maybe I'm just missing it...

Agree with both. I hate the stupid "next week on Mad men' teaser scenes that show absolutely nothing except buzz words of slamming doors, but there is one in what looks like ME's offices(the dark wood walls), and Don says "ok" or something short and that's all they show...so he will be back in their office one way or another next week. I'm hoping it's him telling them he wont be coming over.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
And it hit home for anyone that's an accountant or lawyer, I'm betting.
no doubt.
Sex Panther
AG
Can someone help me remember all of Ken's timeline/story?

Did he ever leave SCDP but then come back? Why was he fired a few episodes ago?

And last night Roger said something about Dow fired him... but doesn't he work for Dow now?

tia
Quinn
AG
Kenny
- Started out SC
- Was left behind whenever McCann bought SC and did not get invited to work for SCDP
- Worked for McCann for awhile before getting rehired by SCDP
- Was fired this year by McCann once they had bought SCP
- Took over his FIL's old job at Dow Chem
Bunk Moreland
Quinn beat me to it.
BDG02
AG
Another thing that just hit me was the parallels of Peggy's audition of the kids with the toys and the Hobart meeting at the end w/the SCP partners. It's the things like this, for me, that make the show so interesting. All these connections you make after you really think about the episodes over a couple days...

Kids sit around a table in a strange office, with Peggy asking and not understanding why they don't enthusiastically play with the toys (that aren't theirs). The partners sit around a conference table in a strange office, with Hobart not understanding why they aren't enthusiastic about being handed these big clients (that aren't theirs).
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Kenny
- Started out SC
- Was left behind whenever McCann bought SC and did not get invited to work for SCDP
- Worked for McCann for awhile before getting rehired by SCDP
- Was fired this year by McCann once they had bought SCP
- Took over his FIL's old job at Dow Chem

Thanks Quinn
Trident 88
AG
quote:
If they make it to McCann, and if they make it to Coca-Cola, I'm betting Don puts Peggy on the business, and "Buy the World a Coke" is her big idea that she talked about in Don's office that he "**** all over" when they were doing her review.
Love this idea and will be rooting for it to happen!! We've gotten clear signals that Don just doesn't matter anymore. Peggy is going to McCann, and we are (hopefully) going to be left with the impression that she succeeds and becomes a pioneer for women in the business world.
Sex Panther
AG
Great analysis... I'd have never connected that.
PJD Ag 10
AG
The scene in the bar when roger says bye to don when he leaves to go see Marie seemed like a last goodbye, though neither of them realize it yet.

EDIT NO WINK FACE THAT LOOKS CREEPY
annie88
AG
Question:

They were bought out by McCann. If they just say **** you and walk off, would they lose their money? I think it said they owed them four years, but how exactly does this deal work?

Also, I LOVED the shot of them dumbfounded at the table. Very poignant.

One of my all-time favorite episode over the entire series was when they did the initial company switch, the way they pulled that off with the British company was just brilliant. I'm hoping for some parallel here, but don't think that will happen.

Joan is just better off marrying the new guy. He really loves her and she knows her "sleep to the top" reputation is already there. She is smart and works well, but that will haunt her forever.
annie88
AG
quote:
"The king ordered it!" is one of the greatest lines of dialogue in the history of the show. The latter half of that convo came out of no where, and was absolutely glorious.
also, I'm dorking out, I guess, but what was this in reference too? I watch four shows on Sunday, tape some and then watch, so I have three other shows in my mind right now...
chico
AG
quote:
Question:

They were bought out by McCann. If they just say **** you and walk off, would they lose their money? I think it said they owed them four years, but how exactly does this deal work?

Not unusual to get some money when they sign the papers, but get the vast bulk of money they're owed at the end of the term (in this case, 4 years later). It's an incentive to keep them with the firm and not walk out.
Rudyjax
AG
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_Glencoe
MW03
AG
quote:
Epic.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:
Question:

Not unusual to get some money when they sign the papers, but get the vast bulk of money they're owed at the end of the term (in this case, 4 years later). It's an incentive to keep them with the firm and not walk out.

Most likely. Plus they all signed a Non-Compete clause, so if they left, they couldn't work in Advertising.
GreasenUSA
AG
Also, this.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/79097-is-pete-campbells-ancient-feud-real-on-mad-men-the-show-took-an-interesting-historical-turn
Sex Panther
AG
quote:

Holy ****! Weiner had to have been planning for that the entire time right?
Bismarck
AG
MacDonald's remember that massacre. I knew a guy who was a MacDonald and was once fired by a Campbell. He referred to it is as getting screwed by a Campbell again.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.