*** Official MAD MEN seventh and final season thread ***

202,178 Views | 1733 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
Trident 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, at least he smiled at the end. I'm looking forward to reading all the psychoanalysis on the internet tomorrow so I can understand why I should like this sh***y ending.
annie88
AG
Awful. What a wasted ending for Don. He wrote the hippie coke ad (that I remember being on TV)

Awful and so disappointing.
StringerBell
AG
Don meditating while the show ending is interesting. Brings up notions of Hinduism and reincarnations and all the versions of don/dick that have come about.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Stuck in a hotel without amc. Thinking maybe I don't want to watch it when I get home now.
Sex Panther
AG
Jesus it's going to take me all week to read all the analyses and articles on it
annie88
AG
Am glad about Peggy and Stan though. The rest was crap. Shame in Weinet.
Post removed:
by user
tinman
AG
Somewhat of a letdown
Aston04
AG
Not good
Scotch
AG
Many times this series had a wtf California episode but then had others afterwards, this time we are left with wtf, and I'm laughing. Kind of like laughing at a funeral laughing, but laughing nonetheless.
gumby579
AG
Was the coke ad just trolling?
saltyoldguy
AG
Brilliant ending
Post removed:
by user
Sex Panther
AG
I'll need to process it and I'm looking forward to reading into it a bit...

But that said, what an amazing show. One of the all-timers for sure.
ElephantRider
AG
quote:
Brilliant ending

at least I'm not the only one
Bunk Moreland
Agreed what an epic show. Will need a while to comprehend that but right now I'm firmly in the WTF camp.

Need to RE watch the episode again and RE think it
TCTTS
AG
Don wasn't smiling because he found himself or finally got to start anew. Don was smiling because - on a hippie retreat, while in his "meditation" - he just came up with the Coke ad.

That's ******* genius.

Peggy saying "They'll take you back" wasn't an accident.

I will love this show forever.

95_Aggie
AG
So Don goes back to McCann and writes the sappy Coke ad?
PatAg
AG
Definitely a top 5 show for me. Did anyone else hear a "ding" noise when the hippie said "a new you"? I couldnt tell if there was just a bell off screen, or if it was a cheesy moment where Don realizes he can reinvent himself.
I guess we assume he comes up with the Buy the world a coke ad, but everything over this season led us to believe Don was done with advertising.
This also wouldn't be the first time he has taken a new experience and twisted it to suit his advertising creativity, he is great at that.
AgLaw
AG
That was brilliant. Best series finale ever. Just amazing.

512Ag
AG
Notice all the girls in the Coke ad with the red ribbons braided into their hair? Just like the receptionist at the retreat place.
Post removed:
by user
Goat Man
AG
I loved the episode. What did you people think you were going to get? Have you not watched this series from the beginning? Perfect.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Definitely a top 5 show for me. Did anyone else hear a "ding" noise when the hippie said "a new you"? I couldnt tell if there was just a bell off screen, or if it was a cheesy moment where Don realizes he can reinvent himself.

Yeah I heard it too
PatAg
AG
I have been watching, and there have been plenty of times where things were much clearer/neatly wrapped up.
75AG
AG
quote:
So Don goes back to McCann and writes the sappy Coke ad?
Maybe. He DID have a shi*t eating grin on his face....
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Don wasn't smiling because he found himself or finally got to start anew. Don was smiling because - on a hippie retreat, while in his "meditation" - he just came up with the Coke ad.

That's ******* genius.

Peggy saying "They'll take you back" wasn't an accident.

I will love this show forever.

Yeah I think you're exactly right. He's never gonna change. This is who he is.

Every minute it becomes more and more brilliant...

But I'm really bummed right now
Goat Man
AG
I will say my wife is throwing crap and ranting about what a terrible ending it was so I do understand not everyone will like it but it just seemed perfect to me. I was not trying to sound like a dick on my previous post.
AgLaw
AG
quote:
Awful. What a wasted ending for Don. He wrote the hippie coke ad (that I remember being on TV)

Awful and so disappointing.
That is the single biggest commercial in advertising history. It's iconic.
95_Aggie
AG
Hmmm ... maybe I prefer the BB ending where everything was tied up in a nice little bow.
MEEN Ag 05
AG
You know how the previews of the next week's shows were just a collection of undiscernable snippets of phrases and reactions? I feel like I may have just watched an hour and seventeen minutes of that...
OldArmy71
AG
quote:

Yes, that's the way I saw it too.

He comes back to NYC, McCann takes him back, he uses his enlightenment with the flower children to write a touchy feely ad. He channels his own very real emotions into a moment of creativity that is designed to sell carbonated sugar water to millions.

Even his deepest moment of self-awareness is transformed into something to sell.

He's always selling. That's a great ending.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Am I the only one posting from the throne right now after holding it in for GoT and Mad Men?
agnatgas
AG
Great ending with one of the greatest commercials ever. By the way, bells are rung during some TM classes.

Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:

Yes, that's the way I saw it too.

He comes back to NYC, McCann takes him back, he uses his enlightenment with the flower children to write a touchy feely ad. He channels his own very real emotions into a moment of creativity that is designed to sell carbonated sugar water to millions.

Even his deepest moment of self-awareness is transformed into something to sell.

He's always selling. That's a great ending.

Exactly. Brilliant, depressing, inspiring all at the same time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.