*** Official MAD MEN seventh and final season thread ***

202,169 Views | 1733 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
OldArmy71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, Joan was mad at Don for risking her future, i.e., the agency. She has sacrificed a great deal for her security, and Don's erratic behavior put that at risk. She is obviously still bitter.

Did anyone catch Roger saying, "He's gone" when Cutler complained about Harry Crane?

SC&P offices are filled with some expensive abstract expressionist art.
OldArmy71
AG
Also, I noted that Dawn was not thrilled to see Don, either. She has assumed a much more important position since he left, and she hardly wants to return to being someone who brings him coffee and a sandwich.

Don, however, sees her as just that sort of person.
Rudyjax
AG
Don didnt know about Dawns promotion.

He will get a new girl.
chico
AG
|
not necessarily. He has too many enemies there and they'll cut him off from getting any assistants.
Rudyjax
AG
You really think so?
mavsfan4ever
AG
quote:
Did anyone catch Roger saying, "He's gone" when Cutler complained about Harry Crane?

I caught it but didn't think too much of it. I thought it just showed that Roger doesn't think Harry is vital to the company and doesn't realize that his department is where the future of advertising will be. Cutler was griping about a lot of stuff and Roger just said "he's gone" to mean "Ok, if that's what you want, I don't care. He can be gone. Don is much more important..."

At least that's how I took it.
annie88
AG
quote:
She has sacrificed a great deal for her security

love Joan, but let's call it what it was. she slept her way in.
annie88
AG
quote:
Peggy is so focused on her own unhappiness that she's not thinking clearly or even concerned with others.

Peggy is just piss and wind now. Hope she snaps out of it. not very appealing.

I think Don will tell them all to **** off in the end. was surprised he went along with the stipulations. I think he and Roger will end up on top and screw everyone else.

OR Don will leave the entire thing.

and I too think Roger's daughter will die soon.

these made me laugh:

[This message has been edited by annie88 (edited 4/28/2014 4:34p).]
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I think Don will tell them all to **** off in the end. was surprised he went along with the stipulations.

It may have Sepinwall's recap, but I read a good point that Don could have easily made the split with Megan final, had sex with that girl hitting on him at dinner, and started fresh at the new agency. Instead, he chose to remain focused and committed in each scenario; not running, but facing those issues head-on. Showed a lot of growth for his character. Don's trying something new, and he may fall flat on his face again, but at least we're seeing progress. Made me even more excited to see where all this leading.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 4/28/2014 4:39p).]
J.P. 03
AG
Couple of thoughts about last night's episode:

1) I thought the contrast between how Don bonded with Sally last week and Betty's miserable failure trying to bond with Bobby this week was pretty funny to watch. I don't know if we're supposed to like Betty or not, but I just don't find her character to be very interesting.

2) The line about giving Don Lane's old office certainly isn't going to help quell the belief that Don will end up killing himself.

3) I wonder if the fact that Don violating the new rules will result in him not only getting fired, but also forfeiting his partnership will come into play later. I see it going down one of two ways: either someone wants to drive him out so they do something like get him to drink at the office, and him losing everything helps push him over the cliff toward suicide, OR he breaks the rules on purpose as a power play to get out of his contract to go start another agency somewhere else.

4) I agree with the poster above and hope we see less and less of Megan. I just can't force myself to care about anything she does anymore.
Rudyjax
AG
Betty is such a hitch. He was so happy to have her there. Very proud. And the poor kid. She expects him to act like an adult. I felt bad for him.
ElephantRider
AG
I hope Don ends up beating the **** out of Lou
EllisCoAg
AG
yeah, Bobby was so proud to have his Mom there and being a participant, then kids being kids, and thinking his mom doesn't eat lunch anyway, traded her sandwich. Betty really shown herself then, wow, poor Bobby.

loved the office scenes.
StringerBell
AG
Lou is gonna get canned or demoted

Betty is a major *****
Teddy Perkins
AG
Why does the carousel remind Cosgrove of Don?

Loving this season. This is grade A shiz. Partnership and Roger/Don scene was nails.
InternetFan02
AG
Season 1: The Carousel scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suRDUFpsHus

Always great to have an excuse to watch that scene again. Don's pitch sends Harry crying to the bathroom

J.P. 03
AG
quote:
Why does the carousel remind Cosgrove of Don?

I was wondering this, too. I thought maybe it was a reference to the Season 1 finale, but I found the carousel scene on YouTube and Ken wasn't in the room for that presentation:
http://youtu.be/suRDUFpsHus

[EDIT: wow, internet fan, great minds think alike]

[This message has been edited by J.P. 03 (edited 4/28/2014 9:47p).]
AgLaw
AG
Just caught up:

Don caught everyone at SCP completely off-guard, which is right where he wants them. He's back in total control.

He's in a no lose. The partners fear him; the office loves him. He either runs circles around Lou and wins back the partners or gets fired, goes to a competitor (or opens his own shop) and starts cherry picking talent - Ken, Ginsburg, Stan, Pete. Probably Peggy, too. He will either save SCP or destroy it. And the partners know it. (Hence the resentment from Joan and Peggy - even though they're good at their jobs, they can only fly with Don backing them up.)

Saw someone above say Megan will come running back into his arms, scared away by th Manson murders. Agree with that. She's not a starving artist. She's a spoiled girl playing starving artist. When Don showed up, she felt wanted after so much rejection. When she realized he was there as her safety net, she became bitter.

Betty may be the worst mother in the history of TV.

Is Lou the biggest ***** in the history of TV.

Is Don even aware he has two sons?

The bit with the hooker at the recruiting dinner was genius. Probably not far from what went routinely happened.

They are doing a great job of contrasting the transition from the 50s (SCP New York partners) to the 70s (SCP LA partners, Ginsburg, Stan, Ken, Harry). The two characters caught in the transition are Don and Peggy. Both want to cling to the old ways, but (I think) they both understand where they're going.
TCTTS
AgLaw
AG
quote:
The two characters caught in the transition are Don and Peggy. Both want to cling to the old ways, but (I think) they both understand where they're going.

Just thought of this, but here's an example: both are progressive in that they have Afr-Amer. secretaries (first two in office), but neither looks at them as anything other than servants. Last week, Peggy assumes roses are for her, completely dismissing idea they could be for Shirley (?). This week, Don is barking orders at Dawn from start to finish, not realizing she was no longer a secretary.
MW03
AG
So classic.
fta09
AG
quote:
Betty may be the worst mother in the history of TV.

Lori is holding on Line #1.

Rudyjax
AG
Who is that?
StringerBell
AG
WHERE'S CARL?!?!
Smokedraw01
I think I'd rather have Betty fighting along side me than Lori against a Zombie hoard. Although I'm a little concerned that she would shoot me in the leg and let the zombies eat me so that she could get away.
SwaggerCopter
AG
Another question: Are we done with Bob Benson? They built up a pretty crazy story line with him last season, then sent him to Detroit never to be seen again?
MEEN Ag 05
AG
Betty would do just fine against the walkers...

Rudyjax
AG
quote:
Another question: Are we done with Bob Benson? They built up a pretty crazy story line with him last season, then sent him to Detroit never to be seen again?

Guess it depends if his show with Williams get cancelled.
InternetFan02
AG
Interesting thing to keep an eye on: who is this Mary character that has been referenced multiple times now. Twice by the guy who tried to hire Don - "you don't have anyone like Mary over at SC&P" and then by Roger in the partners meeting- "do you really want to walk into a room and find Mary Wells sitting on Draper's lap?"

Looks like Mary Wells is a real person that was a dominating/influential ad executive that rose to power in the 60s. From her Wikipedia:
quote:
Mary Wells Lawrence (born Mary Georgene Berg on May 25, 1928 in Youngstown, Ohio, United States) is a retired American advertising executive. She was the founding president of Wells Rich Greene,[1][2] an advertising agency known for its creative, innovative, and revolutionary work.[3] Lawrence was the first female CEO of a company listed on the New York Stock Exchange, and the first woman executive of an advertising firm.

quote:
Stuart Elliott (May 27, 2002). "An Advertising Legend". The New York Times. "During her heyday in the 1960s and 1970s, she and her agency, Wells Rich Greene, were the architects of an approach to advertising that blended entertainment production values with old-fashioned selling techniques as never before. The campaigns she helped develop in a time before giant agency companies resulted in jingles and tag lines - "Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz" for Alka-Seltzer and Ford's "Quality Is Job One" - that burrowed their way into the American memory."
wondering if she'll make a run at Don and if so which 1990s TV actress will Weiner cast in the role.
parkway94
AG
Everyone saying Don will leave and start his own agency is forgetting that Cooper too knows re Don's true past:

"Just sign this. After all, who's signing this anyway?"

So, unless Cooper dies off, we are due for an epic showdown between Cooper and Don if Don threatens to leave or pull talent from SC&P. Cooper has been very negative on Don for quiet a while.

But..... the look in Don's face when he said "ok" tells me he at least thinks he is in control of his own destiny or at least has a major angle to play. Maybe he makes a play to boot Ted and take over the LA office, maybe edge Lou out, not sure yet. But I think he will be a part of SC&P or will get fired. No third option.

Cooper vs Don will be a major story line in the next few episodes.

[This message has been edited by parkway94 (edited 4/29/2014 10:21a).]
Quad Dog
AG
quote:
Everyone saying Don will leave and start his own agency is forgetting that Cooper too knows re Don's true past:

"Just sign this. After all, who's signing this anyway?"

So, unless Cooper dies off, we are due for an epic showdown between Cooper and Don if Don threatens to leave or pull talent from SC&P. Cooper has been very negative on Don for quiet a while.

Good point, I had forgotten Bert knows the truth. Which means he could have used that to fire Don/Dick after Hershey. The contract and partnership they have with Don is pretty meaningless when you know about Dick. But I guess Bert didn't want the bad PR or the competition of Don outside of SC&P.
Sex Panther
AG
That episode was phenomenal. Maybe one of my favorites of all time.

Don in SC&P was awesome. Seeing the command he had, and how uncomfortable it made some of the office. Classic Draper.

Betty continues to be the most awful person in history that isn't a King in Westeros. That whole side story was strangely enthralling, and topped off by her ruining everything.

Roger's defense of Don was downright moving, and some of the best acting I've seen on the show. Everybody likes Roger for his quips, but Jon Slattery doesn't get enough credit for his talent. That was such a great scene.

And the end scene with Don's "Ok." Only he could pull that off and still look like he just owned all of the partners. Playing off into Hendrix's If 6 was 9 was a brilliant song choice as well.

Great episode all the way around.
Sex Panther
AG
I don't think Cooper would even bring that up.
parkway94
AG
quote:
But I guess Bert didn't want the bad PR or the competition of Don outside of SC&P.

Yes. Cooper always thinks of the big picture and sees the larger issues and long term angles.

Pretty much everything Cooper says in the partner meetings or intense scenes is memorable. My favorite character.

Although Cutler's "You have some very stiff competition. But I believe you may be the most dishonest man I know" is probably my favorite line of the last two or three years.
Smokedraw01
And wouldn't that open them up to fraud charges as well? I'm sure they've allowed Don to do business in the name of the company, borrow money, and such that would open them up to legal issues.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.