*** Official MAD MEN seventh and final season thread ***

202,160 Views | 1733 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
InternetFan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Betty has the mind of a child. It's one of the major themes for her character and she hasn't really changed. She saw college aged Glenn and suddenly wanted to compete with her daughter for him.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Thanks for the recap guys.
MW03
AG
Glenn would be fragged immediately.
InternetFan02
AG
New prediction - show ends with GI Glenn Weiner in Willem Dafoe Platoon pose as Sound of Silence plays /partially stolen from hollywood prospectus.
Scotch
AG
Glen is awesome.
cone
AG
quote:
The state-of-the-union he's writing for Roger will turn into Don's philosophy on life.
Budd Dwyer?
cone
AG

immediately thought of these guys when glen showed up
Bunk Moreland
Didn't Roger say Don had until Monday before he needed the speech? Mad Men usually doesn't just pick up the next day after an episode.

Will be interesting to see if they go back to the speech thing, because I'm assuming they will, but the timeline is interesting with that.
DanHo2010
AG
These seven episodes appear to be an extended epilogue. This makes sense - the series has been about the 60's and now we're in the 70's. This is the aftermath. The entire Greek chorus is finally chiming in on Don's decisions, with some effect.

Plus, Weiner is gradually and quietly giving every character's storyline an ending. To me, it feels like the ending to the Sandlot so far where you get a wistful line or two about how all their lives ended up.
  • Kenny got fired from SC&P, but went on to be head of advertising at Dow. He still writes occasionally and enjoyed being a thorn in Pete's side for years.
  • Rachel finally settled down and had kids. She died from leukemia at a young age.
  • Megan lived a comfortable life due to the divorce settlement from Don, but she never got that breakthrough role she wanted, and always felt like she had somehow missed the boat.
  • Betty finally decided to stop being just a trophy wife and went back to school for her master's degree in psychology. She now does counseling for mothers and women in weight loss programs.
  • Glen couldn't live up to his father's academic expectations, so he joined the army. He was killed in Vietnam in 1971.
  • Joan married a rich real estate developer from LA. Her mother gladly takes care of Aaron for the few weeks a year she and Richard travel the world.
Some of that is speculation of course, but I could see it ending up that way. Characters we have left are: Sally, Pete, Roger, Peggy, and of course Don will be last. They really are putting a nice little bow on everyone's story.
StringerBell
AG
really thought don would end up banging the realtor.

glen is creepy and a terrible actor but it was good to see him back.

sally's face at dinner was priceless.

genuinely happy to see joan find what seems like a more committment minded/stable version of roger
Bunk Moreland
I'm the opposite on Joan. I really liked her character for the first 4 seasons or so. Now she's just a drag and stale. She is of no interest to me. Glad to see she's still of major interest to so many who watch though, but for whatever reason, I've just gotten tired of anything dealing with her unless it's inter-office politics.
Bismarck
AG
I don't get all the talk of Don reverting back to Dick Whitman. Dick Whitman was declared dead by the Army. His social security number is worthless. If he makes a fuss about coming back from the grave he only has prison to look forward to. Unless this series is ending with Dick walking down a white sandy beach in Zihuatenejo to embrace Faye Miller, I just don't see it.
Bunk Moreland
agree. He can only become "dick" in name only. Everything official will be Don. And it's now 1970, not the 50's. Changing your identity now would be a lot tougher than how he managed it back then. I suppose he could retire, buy a house in cash and just be known as Dick around wherever he chooses to live, but anything legal or official and he'd have to stick with Don Draper.
annie88
AG
I still remember that weird episode early on with Dick's brother coming to town and then dying. always thought that was so bizarre, why not flesh it out a bit.
annie88
AG
quote:
I'm the opposite on Joan. I really liked her character for the first 4 seasons or so. Now she's just a drag and stale. She is of no interest to me. Glad to see she's still of major interest to so many who watch though, but for whatever reason, I've just gotten tired of anything dealing with her unless it's inter-office politics.
I feel the same way. She also became much meaner.
TCTTS
AG
Love your take, DanHo2010. I've been wondering why Weiner extended this into the 70s, and that makes perfect sense. We ended the "main" narrative the day after the moon landing - the culminating cultural event of the 60s (and maybe even mankind) - and now these seven episodes are an epilogue, set in the immediate aftermath.
Joan Wilder
AG
As far as Joan becoming "meaner," to me it's more a function of her realizing she's got to look out for #1. Her whole mission in working at SC was to find a husband, preferably a partner who would take care of her. That was what she THOUGHT she wanted. She struggled to admit that she enjoyed working and early on, had some interesting moments where she realized that not only was she good at her job, but she was better at it than a lot of the men. She legit wanted to come back to work after the baby (not just because she had to) and that was a hard thing for a woman raised to be pretty and a wife to admit.

Her marriage to the d**khead doctor was a complete disappointment. Roger didn't leave his wife for her...he left his wife for Jane. The firm recognized her importance, but when it came down to it they valued her body as her biggest asset. She had to bang the gross dealership guy to get her partnership. So I can see why she's decided that no one is EVER going to cost her money and her security again.

<--- Joan apologist.

Weiner is definitely wrapping some stories up, but his fascination with certain characters definitely isn't the audience's (Megan, Glen)
AgLaw
AG
quote:
Love your take, DanHo2010. I've been wondering why Weiner extended this into the 70s, and that makes perfect sense. We ended the "main" narrative the day after the moon landing - the culminating cultural event of the 60s (and maybe even mankind) - and now these seven episodes are an epilogue, set in the immediate aftermath.

Agree. Loved Dan's take, as well.

Also agree with your take regarding the moon landing. In that episode, Don once again outmaneuvers his enemies and comes out on top. But by always winning, he never learns from his mistakes. His life will continue to be cycles of failed relationships, ultimately ending with his being alone. That's his tragedy.
boogieman
AG
Nice work danho!
aggiesq
AG
Will we learn that Don dyes his hair?
annie88
AG
I did like it when the fired idiot said all Don had was that he was handsome.

While i didn't think it hurt Don, he certainly thought about it for a second. That with his comments to Sally, I think Don is really thinking who am I.

Although Don DID have the talent to back up his looks. So maybe that doesn't even make sense. I don't know. Thinking too hard on where they're going!
Scotch
AG
Accident occurs and he has a disfigured face?
Producers_96
AG
quote:
Accident occurs and he has a disfigured face?

Great. It becomes "Vanilla Sky."

I still prefer the idea of him becoming D.B. Cooper in the last episode, but that has about a snowball's chance of happening.
TooTall 06
AG
My therory is that Glen dies in Vietnam somehow (through Sally) sending Don into guillt over the Dick storyline. Everything comes crashing down around him. He realizes that he is alone in the world which is what caused the switch to Don in the first place...out the window he goes. Peggy takes over his spot. Series over.
Topher17
AG
Personally, I still don't think this series will end with Don committing suicide.
TCTTS
AG
It's just cliched to even bring it up at this point.

Unless there's a flash forward to the '90s, we will not see not die.
Quinn
AG
Too late to put together that many thoughts, but I loved that episode and DanHo's theory is great. This season is rounding into shape for a great finish.
StringerBell
AG
The show isn't going to have a final resolution like dons face getting disfigured or don jumping out the window

It's more likely to end after a terse conversation with Peggy and don just staring at a drink.
cone
AG
don's going to become the hobo he always wanted to be
TexasAggie008
AG
I don't think the dick Whitman stuff comes into play at all, personally ... Nor does suicide
MW03
AG
Pitch meeting:
And in the end, Don commits suicide, and the moral of the series is that you can't pin every happiness on professional success. And to be double clever, we'll have Don jumping off the building in the intro, and then at the end of the show we can all look clever about how we've been alluding to it since the show began! (Room erupts into applause).

Half Life:
All these internet sleuths have figured out the ending. We can't let Don commit suicide now. We have to keep them on their toes. How about we just end the series with Don lonely in his office, realizing every day will be like the last, and the moral of the series will be that if you pin all your happiness on professional success, you'll end up some lonely mundane nihilist! (Room erupts into applause).

End Life:
OK. Everyone says the idea that Don kills himself if cliche. Ironically, the popular cliche now is that Don will not kill himself, but that the show will end with Don lonely in his office, realizing every day will be like the last one. We have to keep them on their toes and give them a big payoff. How about in the end, Don commits suicide, and the moral of the series is that you can't pin every happiness on professional success. And everyone will think we're double clever because we set it up, then walked them back from the edge, only to shove them off again! (Room erupts into applause).
Sex Panther
AG
I'm pretty sure Don died and has been in Purgatory the whole time
cone
AG
Don enters a rip in space-time, only to be crushed by the TV Midge pushed out the window in 1960.
MW03
AG
I'm just hoping for a 15 minute epilogue that's comprised entirely of a gratuitous Joan sex scene a la Lethal Weapon 5.
annie88
AG
I want to see characters future lives and what happens to them.

I don't think Don will kill himself.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.