*** Official MAD MEN seventh and final season thread ***

202,219 Views | 1733 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just stop watching already, some of you.

If you cant enjoy it for what it is, then stop watching.

PJD Ag 10
AG
I am confused a bit. I thought there were seven final episodes? We have had two, and it keeps saying four episodes remaining.
Bunk Moreland
I'm assuming series finale night will be a 2 hour finale that is technically broken up into 2 episodes. Much like how they started a lot of the seasons off.
MW03
AG
So what do you guys think happened between Don and Megan's tender phone call in 1969 ending the marriage and her rant against him in the attorney's office in 1970? I guess what Harry said about her quitting her soap struck a nerve with Don about how he asked her to quit the soap and it ruined her career (hence why he paid her $1MM). Maybe she picked up on that as well.

It was interesting though to see Don tell Roger that Megan was not like Roger's ex-wife only to have her come into that meeting quoting Roger nearly verbatim.
johncAG
AG
AMC keeps saying there are "X" episodes left until the series finale. It has been a little confusing and unnecessary.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
So what do you guys think happened between Don and Megan's tender phone call in 1969 ending the marriage and her rant against him in the attorney's office in 1970?

She doesn't have any money and she isn't a famous actress. I'm guessing her meeting with Harry just magnified all that too.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
AMC keeps saying there are "X" episodes left until the series finale. It has been a little confusing and unnecessary.
That's right. i always forget they do that on AMC.

So yeah, there are 5 left. "only 4 episodes left until the finale". Stupid AMC.
MW03
AG
edit - wrong icon
Trident 88
AG
If we see the waitress again, I think she'll end up dragging Don into a situation that ends badly for him. If not, then I think he ends up okay but alone for good.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
If we see the waitress again, I think she'll end up dragging Don into a situation that ends badly for him. If not, then I think he ends up okay but alone for good.

The waitress is done. I hope. Doubt we'll ever see her again.
SwaggerCopter
AG
What was the deal with the neighbors downstairs? Did Don's friend find out about the affair?
J.P. 03
AG
I don't recall an episode in which he finds out, but given his condescending remark about Don bringing home a waitress and his suggestion that Don may not have the energy to play squash with him seemed to imply that he found out at some point.
OldArmy71
AG
I saw the doctor's remarks as simply reflecting a class judgment on Don's choice of an obvious waitress (she's in her uniform) to date. I saw no evidence that he knew what had happened between his wife and Don.
Trident 88
AG
quote:
I saw the doctor's remarks as simply reflecting a class judgment on Don's choice of an obvious waitress (she's in her uniform) to date. I saw no evidence that he knew what had happened between his wife and Don.
Agreed. No way he knows.
Quinn
AG
Mad Men actually usually does have some big plot event in the 2nd to last or last episode of each season, even if most of the road to get there is character development and seemingly unimportant episodes. No idea where this one is going, but I think something big will happen at the end. Don's not jumping out of that window, though.
4stringAg
AG
quote:

So what do you guys think happened between Don and Megan's tender phone call in 1969 ending the marriage and her rant against him in the attorney's office in 1970? I guess what Harry said about her quitting her soap struck a nerve with Don about how he asked her to quit the soap and it ruined her career (hence why he paid her $1MM). Maybe she picked up on that as well.
Seems like the combination of what Harry told her, and then her walking in on the cleaned out apartment and Roger and her mother finishing up a sex session, and probably her humiliation at having to ask Don for an allowance may have pushed her to go on that tirade to Don later in the show.

Because before that, she seemingly only wanted to get her clothes and a few items from the apartment and really didn't think Don owed her anything (at least according to the phone call).
annie88
AG
I liked last weeks episode better, but this one wasn't bad. I'm not digging the waitress at all, hopefully that's it for her. just weird.

I'm not really sure why Megan is so pissed? I get he cheated some, but dang, she was a starving artist secretary and then became his wife with all that entailed. She had a good gig in NY on the soap but decided SHE wanted to go to LA and got pissy when he wouldn't drop everything. I don't see Don as the bad guy here. The part with the furniture was pretty crappy, but I thought Megan would return it. Either hasn't happened yet or she got extra greedy. Of course, Don doesn't know its the mom that took it.

quote:
EDIT: her quitting her soap struck a nerve with Don about how he asked her to quit the soap and it ruined her career
I didn't remember Don asking her to do this??!!??

The scene with Megan walking in on Roger and the mom was funny to me though. Roger is such a **** up in someways and dead smart in others. He amuses me.

The part where he looked back at Betty and the boys, you could see some longing for that life.

I thought Betty might run for some office, but looks like they're going the college route there.

Still interested in what's going to happen. Will always love this show, even when some aren't great. They always pull out several clutch episodes each season. Last one airs May 17, so five more.

Here's an interesting take on the "the latest episode was pretty bad but also necessary" argument. I didn't hate it, don't call it bad, but not one of my favorites.

article
Trident 88
AG
From the article:
quote:
"You think you're going to begin your life over and do it right, but what if you never get past the beginning again?" Pete asks Don as the two of them drive toward a meeting with clients over golf.
Don looks concerned for a moment, before uttering a perfunctory, "Watch the road."

The characters keep trying to erase their mistakes and start over, but all they're left with are blank spaces that used to be lives. So they watch the road, focusing on what's ahead, trying to ignore what's behind.

Damn... I thought Don was simply telling Pete (who isn't a very experienced driver and wrecked the Camaro in Chevrolet's lobby) to watch the road. I didn't even think about the symbolism behind this statement.
Pretty damn good writing...

Sex Panther
AG
quote:
I liked last weeks episode better, but this one wasn't bad. I'm not digging the waitress at all, hopefully that's it for her. just weird.

I'm not really sure why Megan is so pissed? I get he cheated some, but dang, she was a starving artist secretary and then became his wife with all that entailed. She had a good gig in NY on the soap but decided SHE wanted to go to LA and got pissy when he wouldn't drop everything. I don't see Don as the bad guy here.

Megan is immature and entitled now. She reminds me of a 60's version of girls in Uptown Dallas who live in badass condos and when you ask them what they do they answer, "I have a fashion blog"
Sex Panther
AG
I loved when Don had forgotten about golf and Pete got all pissy. Such a classic Don and Pete interaction.

"I'll just wear this. I'll roll up my sleeves... they'll love it"

"Ugh, they probably will"
annie88
AG
quote:
I loved when Don had forgotten about golf and Pete got all pissy. Such a classic Don and Pete interaction.

"I'll just wear this. I'll roll up my sleeves... they'll love it"

"Ugh, they probably will"

what's even weirder is, as slimey as Pete has always been, and he has. I actually like him.
twenty two ags
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/10/jon-hamm-fraternity-hazing_n_7036532.html

quote:
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) "Mad Men" star Jon Hamm took part in a violent college hazing in 1990 at the University of Texas that led to criminal charges and to the fraternity chapter permanently disbanding, according to court and school records obtained Thursday.

The Emmy-nominated actor had not previously been publicly linked to a lawsuit filed by a Sigma Nu pledge who said he was severely beaten, dragged by a hammer and had his pants lit on fire. In the 1991 lawsuit, the pledge said Hamm participated "till the very end."

According to the lawsuit, Hamm became "mad, I mean really mad" after the 20-year-old Sigma Nu pledge failed to recite things he was supposed to memorize about Hamm and other fraternity members. For Hamm, his list included "Young Bobby," ''MC Hammer" and "UT Football Punching Bag."

The pledge, Mark Allen Sanders, said Hamm went on to set his jeans on fire, shove his face in dirt and strike him with a paddle.

"He rears back and hits me left-handed, and he hit me right over my right kidney, I mean square over it," Sanders said in the lawsuit. "Good solid hit and that, that stood me right up."

Sanders said he needed medical care and withdrew from the school.

Four other fraternity members were charged and pleaded no contest to misdemeanor hazing charges. The Sigma Nu chapter was shut down and never reopened on campus.

University records show Hamm arrived on campus in the fall of 1989 and left after the same semester in which the hazing took place. In a 2008 interview with W Magazine, Hamm said he left school his sophomore year after his father died and he returned to his home state of Missouri.
annie88
AG
yeah I heard about that hazing thing. Not surprised given in was 1989... frats are stupid... I'm sure there are amazing amounts of stupid done by college kids. not an excuse, but not really surprised. Also, it has nothing to do with who he is today.
Rudyjax
AG
Thats nothing compared to what we did in the Corps in the early 1990s.
annie88
AG
quote:
Thats nothing compared to what we did in the Corps in the early 1990s.
exactly.
twenty two ags
quote:
yeah I heard about that hazing thing. Not surprised given in was 1989... frats are stupid... I'm sure there are amazing amounts of stupid done by college kids. not an excuse, but not really surprised. Also, it has nothing to do with who he is today.
yeah, it seems like he spent some years getting humbled.
still interesting, though. i never knew he went to texas. i knew he was a mizzou grad and huge cardinals fan.
Rudyjax
AG
Sounds like they hazed the wrong kid.

Not condoning it, of course.

He is in rehab or just got out as well.
PatAg
AG
I think the only thing that bothers me is that the season was split, so it "feels" like wasting time. If it was just in the middle of the season, no big deal.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
I think the only thing that bothers me is that the season was split, so it "feels" like wasting time. If it was just in the middle of the season, no big deal.
Perhaps if you feel it's wasting your time, you should not watch.
mm98
AG
nm
Quinn
AG
quote:
For those inquiring if we are done with Megan, I think she was supposed to appear in nine total episodes over last season and this one. So we should se her plenty more before the finale.

Per what source?
mm98
AG
I read it wrong and cleared my post. I was looking at wiki but misinterpreted.
Quinn
AG
No worries, just seemed odd that Weiner would say that type of thing.
TexasAggie008
AG
Usually the intros to the episode tell you a lot about what was is going to happen in the next 60 minutes....in this one, we saw the scene where Don/Betty hook up at the camp...I don't feel like that was fully addressed in this one, thus it will be next week, and possibly over the course of the series. I'm not predicting that Don and Betty get back together, but him at least trying wouldn't be a surprise. Lets be honest, if he could go back in time and be a better Father/Husband, and never have been divorced in the first place and away from his kids, would he do it? Right now I think he definitely would. I don't think they can write this to where they someow get back together without it seeming ridiculous, so i don't think it happens, but I think we are way more likely to see Betty have a significant role going forward than the waitress (feel like I'm talking Always Sunny here) or Megan.
TexasAggie008
AG
I also liked Don's line "Its 3AM, you know what you're here for, do you want a drink or not?"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.