*** Official MAD MEN seventh and final season thread ***

202,182 Views | 1733 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
Joan Wilder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Exactly!

Mad Style is up:
http://tomandlorenzo.com/2014/04/mad-style-a-days-work/

Great stuff - holy smokes the details in Sally's room like the Peanuts calendar! So dead on to a girl's room back then.

Can't remember whose recap mentioned it, (maybe TLo?) but it's interesting that it never occurred to Peggy that the flowers could have been Shirley's. Nearly every secretary in the office (except Dawn) had flowers on their desks, but Peggy just assumed they were for her. If that had been a white secretary at that desk, would Peggy have made that assumption?

[This message has been edited by Clarke95 (edited 4/23/2014 10:07a).]
StringerBell
AG
why is don so loyal to sc&p? why not just take a new job?
Smokedraw01
Peggy is so focused on her own unhappiness that she's not thinking clearly or even concerned with others.
Professor Frick
AG
So I'm gonna go ahead and call it: the series will end with Don sleeping with Dawn.

This will not be to show some sort of overtones of changing racial/social/sexual culture in the late 60s. It will not be to show Don's vicious cycle of self destruction and his inability to sexualize the women he comes to trust.

No, it will be for one reason only.

It will be so that Don can finally do what he's always wanted to do, the one act tht will distill the essence of his character.

He will finally get to yell out his own name during sex.

CUT TO BLACK

credits

512Ag
AG
^^^^^^ YES!
512Ag
AG
quote:
the diner scene was good too, especially the joke about splitting on the bill. seemed to me Don was finding a clever way of letting Sally know he's not broke just because he isn't working. coming from a dirt poor background, he probably expected her to be thinking of that.

My take on Don pretending like he'd walk the check is that it was his way to show Sally that she's the type of person who does the right thing.

The conversation about them leaving without paying came right after she said something to the effect of, "I only went to the funeral to go shopping," to which Don replied, "No you didn't." I took that to mean he knows that Sally knows she went to the funeral because it was the right thing to do...then proved his point with the "we're leaving without paying" trick.

Sally is the only person Don is mostly honest with, and even though their relationship is strained, it's refreshing to me to see their father-daughter relationship, particularly compared to Roger's farce of a relationship with his daughter.
SwaggerCopter
AG
I just took it as Don trying to get Sally to smile and bond with her a little.

Something weird will happen with Roger's daughter. I think the cancer thing or something like that might be right. I'll bet that brings Roger back to reality.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
why is don so loyal to sc&p? why not just take a new job?

Noncompete.
StringerBell
AG
duh. i'm a moron. sorry.
Rudyjax
AG
It's ok. The only reason I know is because Don said it on the show.
amg405
AG
Frick...that's actually a pretty awesome post.
amercer
AG
Best episode in a while.

Still too many moving parts, but Don 1 on 1 makes the show move. At its best it was Don and Peggy, but that's played out I guess. Don and quickly growing up Sally is pretty good.
Teddy Perkins
AG
I hope at least one of the characters goes to Woodstock. Such a big event in 1969 I don't see how they could not touch on it especially with it being only 100 miles away from NYC.
512Ag
AG
Roger needs to go to Woodstock. Doped up, covered in mud and sexing up as many people as possible before going into cardiac arrest.
TCTTS
AG
These last two episodes have been great for what they were, but I'm thinking we get a little more plot advancement tonight. Tonight's episode is titled "Field Trip," with a description that says, simply, "Don takes a trip." I'm hoping we at least get a good indication as to Don's professional fate (a return to SCDP vs. a new venture)...
Rudyjax
AG
What did Don do to Teddy Chaugh that bothers Harry Hamlin so much?
95_Aggie
AG
Probably thinks he made him go to California
PJD Ag 10
AG
Wild episode. It'll be weird watching Don with a demotion.
SLF11
AG
Interesting how Peggy gets zero respect and treated like crap by Lou (who doesn't?) and sends out that same vibe to Don upon his re-arrival.

Also, what was with the teacher on the field trip?
Al Bula
AG
I think teacher and travel agent were there to clash with Betty's old fashioned ways.

Don returning to the office was awesome. I guess they figured he would turn down the lesser role under Lou.
95_Aggie
AG
Travel agent was Francine. She has been on MM since Season 1.
Joan Wilder
AG
Motherhood has always been about appearances with Betty, it's never fulfilled her but she pretended and put that face forward with everyone. Field trip was her trying to prove to herself how she's such an involved mother after seeing how happy Francine was. Francine used to come over, share baby clothes, and fret about her husband's affairs while Betty pretended to be in perfect marriage. Betty realized no ones buying it.

Man, that scene with the partners crackled. Cutler is a snake but his machinations have really energized the office plots and the dialogue.

Was Peggy just lashing out at Don? Resentful about Ted leaving and being stuck with Lou?

Hamm's ability to silently convey so much with his face - the last 2 episodes have ended with some subtle amazing acting.
Cyprian
AG
Solid episode. I am glad they went past the "Don isn't working phase." I went from hate to love pretty quick there with Roger in this episode.

Left Don hanging out there in the office (hate), but he went to bat for him in that partner's meeting at a couple of opportune moments (love).

[This message has been edited by Cyprian (edited 4/27/2014 11:56p).]
et98
AG
I think Don & Peggy will commiserate & bond once again over the fact that neither is getting any respect in the office. I bet their relationship will get pretty heated in the meantime with one or both lashing out at the other in frustration in a very hurtful way, but it will trigger the realization that they are both in a similar place right now at the firm.

I think they'll be cemented together as inseparable allies by the end of the season.
et98
AG
I think a good Mad Men drinking game would be to take a shot every time the reference death. You'd be pretty tipsy be the end of every episode.
TCTTS
AG
Loved that Don's "Ok" at the end was basically an f-you to the partners. At least that's how I read it.

But I didn't quite get Joan's resentment - if that's even the right word - at Don being back in the office. They've always had a great relationship. Was it because she's partial to Cutler now that he "promoted" her? I get why she'd be concerned about him having another breakdown, but it just felt a little weird. Or is there an incident I'm forgetting?

Regardless, I was hoping Don wouldn't return, as it'll be awkward as hell, but I guess that's the point. In reality, they were never going to have him at a whole other company and cast that whole bit, build another office set, etc. And yeah, taint98, I agree that it'll lead to a Don/Peggy reconciliation/re-teaming. Hopefully with them eventually breaking off and doing their own thing. We can already see the factions forming, and maybe Peggy eventually sways the balance, so to speak, one way or the other.
SwaggerCopter
AG
You think Peggy is being so ****tty to Don because she blames him for letting Ted go to California?

Next week should be good!!
OilAg03
AG
TCTTS - I don't think Joan has really turned against Don, but if I remember correctly, she started getting frustrated with his constant disappearing during last season. I think she's annoyed by his lack of professionalism.
Smokedraw01
Wasn't he the only partner that told her not to sleep with the Jag or Chevy guy?
InternetFan02
AG
I know Joan blew up on Don after he unilaterally decided to end things with Jaguar. I don't remember them conversing any time after that.
InternetFan02
AG
Good for Megan standing up to him, and hopefully the show can close the loop on that relationship now. Maybe Megan gets spooked by the Manson stuff and runs into the arms of some Hollywood producer.
OilAg03
AG
You're right - I think that's what started the rift between Don and Joan. He let Jaguar go after she slept with the guy.
Joan Wilder
AG
Hopefully that's the last we see of Megan. Her storylines were just a bore.
redag06
I'm hoping for another fist fight, this time between Don and Lou.
Douglas Bubbletrousers
AG
quote:
You're right - I think that's what started the rift between Don and Joan. He let Jaguar go after she slept with the guy.

I love puppies.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.