***** Official 2017 Astros Off Season Thread *****

264,703 Views | 2546 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mr.Bond
shano0603
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

shano0603 said:

Ag_07 said:

Really? That's out of this world

Well since I thought he was relegated to MiL camp and been involved in trade talks lately I thought it was worth noting that he was with the team today. Traveling with them nonetheless.

My bad I guess
Pump the breaks 07, was clearly a stupid jupiter joke

Has the game started already today? or does it start at 1:05?
CSWendt
Started already. 2-0 Stros top of 2nd.

McCann with a 2-R Dinger
astros4545
AG
So, a McSlam?
Ag_07
AG
Yeah...Ramimber I cain't reed gud
E
AG
astros4545 said:

So, a McSlam?
I am ok with this
Farmer1906
AG
E said:

astros4545 said:

So, a McSlam?
I am ok with this
I feel like it should be reserved for a grand slam.
shano0603
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yeah...Ramimber I cain't reed gud

No worries, 07.... I can sit you down and learn you some words just like I did with Gibbs. He's now reading on a 3rd grade level.
CorpsAg11
AG
Looks like DK got roughed up a bit but I'm not watching
Ag_07
AG
CorpsAg11 said:

Looks like DK got roughed up a bit but I'm not watching

Eh...Not really. At least it didn't sound like it.

Guys on the radio broadcast even mentioned it looked as if Dallas was working on some stuff and was not pitching like he would if it was for real.
NotGibbs
Page 69

CSWendt
Not sure if I want Keuchel trying out some new stuff his last start before Opening day. Seems like the start where you'd want to fine tune everything and feel ready to go for opening day....
Frok
AG
Well....we will see soon if the old DK returns.
irish pete ag06
AG
Quote:

Bregman in the two-hole between leadoff man George Springer and three-hole hitter Jose Altuve and cleanup man Carlos Correa means the Astros will have four consecutive right-handed hitters atop arguably the deepest lineup in baseball. The switch-hitting Carlos Beltran will bat fifth.
http://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Alex-Bregman-to-bat-second-in-Astros-lineup-11035985.php

Confirmed.

Reddick, McCann/Gattis, Gurriel in some combination of 6/7/8 is just silly. Those guys would have been 3/4/5/ hitters just a few years ago on the Astros.
shano0603
AG
After looking at the splits from a lot of new guys, I'm very curious to see where everyone is put and how often certain players will sit. Last year against righties, Reddick hit .322 with a .386 OBP and hit all of his 10 homers off them. I'd love that in the two hole. Also, McCann and Aoki hit a lot better off righties... So my question is, will most of the time all 3 of these guys be on the bench when a lefty pitches? Will we see Marisnick, Marwin and Gattis in instead?
Ag_07
AG
We should never see Marisnick in any role other than a late defensive replacement or pinch runner.

I'd think with the players and flexibility we have we could come up with way better options than him playing in a full on platoon.

For example if you wanna sit Reddick then play Beltran in OF, McCann at C, and Gattis at DH.
irish pete ag06
AG
shano0603 said:

After looking at the splits from a lot of new guys, I'm very curious to see where everyone is put and how often certain players will sit. Last year against righties, Reddick hit .322 with a .386 OBP and hit all of his 10 homers off them. I'd love that in the two hole. Also, McCann and Aoki hit a lot better off righties... So my question is, will most of the time all 3 of these guys be on the bench when a lefty pitches? Will we see Marisnick, Marwin and Gattis in instead?
I agree. I like the idea of Reddick in the 2 hole vs righties.

And to your last question, yes, I believe that is what will happen.

Vs LHP, I could see:

Springer, RF
Bregman, 3B
Altuve, 2B
Correa, SS
Beltran, DH/LF
Gurriel, 1B
Gattis, C
Marwin, LF/DH
Marisnick, CF
irish pete ag06
AG
Jake had an 89 wRC+ against lefties last year, and his career vs LHP is 81 wRC+

His defense is so good that those are actually productive. Plus, it slides George to RF for a break from center.
shano0603
AG
Ag_07 said:

We should never see Marisnick in any role other than a late defensive replacement or pinch runner.

I'd think with the players and flexibility we have we could come up with way better options than him playing in a full on platoon.

For example if you wanna sit Reddick then play Beltran in OF, McCann at C, and Gattis at DH.
I like his defense and base-running enough to warrant his .229/.288 split versus lefties in the 9 hole.

To compare, Reddick hit .155/.212 and 0 homers against lefties... He should never be in the lineup against lefties barring something weird happening.

And McCann isn't' quite as bad, hitting a respectable .218/.317 against lefties, but he only hit 3 homers from that side. I'm fine with your last example sometimes, I didn't see how he did in the outfield last year.

I do like that these are the issues we are facing this year. I think we are going to see a lot of different guys playing left field.
Ag_07
AG
I guess that makes sense.

I also think I'm forgetting how much easier to have a weak offensive guy in a lineup when you surround him by 8 other studs.

Been a while since we've been able to do that.
CSWendt
Agree with what you said, except I would keep Beltran out of the field as much as possible. Especially outfield. Dude doesn't need to be sprinting after fly balls and running into walls. 1B or DH is where he should be.
Farmer1906
AG
CSWendt said:

Agree with what you said, except I would keep Beltran out of the field as much as possible. Especially outfield. Dude doesn't need to be sprinting after fly balls and running into walls. 1B or DH is where he should be.
1st? Is that news?

He's only played 1 game ever at first and it was in 2014. He only had 2 ABs so I don't know the circumstances of that,
CSWendt
Might not be news at all. Was more of just saying if he were to play a position I would rather him play 1B than OF. However, I expect to DH 99% of the time. But I'm not the manager for a reason soooo
Ag_07
AG
I think he's going to get quite a bit more than 1% of his playing time at LF.

And honestly with the short porch and George/Jake playing next to him he won't have to do much out there.

Hell...Carlos Lee played out there for years and an old Beltran is 100x the athlete Carlos was in his prime.
shano0603
AG
CSWendt said:

Might not be news at all. Was more of just saying if he were to play a position I would rather him play 1B than OF. However, I expect to DH 99% of the time. But I'm not the manager for a reason soooo
He's gotta play somewhere else a little bit of the time. If I had to guess, I'd say plays 125 games at DH and 25 in the outfield.. But that will depend on what others like Yuli do.
Farmer1906
AG
He played RF almost as much as he DH last year. I would expect something like a 67-33 split of DH to LF. It kind of depends on everyone else. If Gattis & McCann are both playing well it'll be hard to not play them both with Carlos in the OF.
irish pete ag06
AG
I'll bet Carlos plays around 40 or 50 games in LF this year. Especially at home.
gigemJTH12
AG
Just found out I am sitting 10th row behind the dugout Monday.

is that good? seems good.
JJxvi
AG
"It's not as good anymore without the risk of getting smashed in the face with a foul ball." /Purists
irish pete ag06
AG
Fun fact of the day.

Alex Bregman's 2016 extrapolated out over 162 games.
43 doubles, 10 triples, 26 homers, 102 runs, 112 RBIs

Just for fun... not counting the horrific start...
52 doubles, 12 triples, 32 homers, 123 runs, 135 RBIs
astros4545
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Fun fact of the day.

Yah, but Arenado is so much better cuz Coors field
shano0603
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Fun fact of the day.

And he started ice cold
Mr.Bond
AG
. . .
bigbass1170
AG
Wow. That looks better than I thought it would.
Buck Compton
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Fun fact of the day.

That does look fun.

If we get 40 doubles, 7 triples, 25 HRs, 100 runs, and 115 RBIs, that would be a monster "rookie" season and probably helps us have a top 2-3 offense in all of baseball.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.