***** Official 2017 Astros Off Season Thread *****

264,704 Views | 2546 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mr.Bond
Clavell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really hope don't trade Martes.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/213616014/2017-top-10-right-handed-pitching-prospects/?topicid=151437456

Quote:

Martes overcame early season struggles in Double-A to post a 2.52 ERA over his final 19 starts, and then stood out as one of the top hurlers in the Fall League. With a mid- to upper-90s heater, a well above-average curveball as well as a slider and changeup that show average potential, the 21-year-old has the power stuff to ascend to the front of Houston's rotation.
Buck Compton
AG
Yeah, at only 21, Martes has a very high ceiling. Would hurt to lose him more than some of the other pieces mentioned.
mazag08
AG
Martes is a future ace. I wouldn't be giving him up as part of a package for anything less than a current ace. And I'm not sure Gray fits that mold, though he's close than most pieces that are likely available.

I'd literally rather give up any two other pitching prospects plus Kyle Tucker in our system than Martes
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Are you people seriously saying you wouldn't trade martes for Gray?
shano0603
AG
Buck Compton said:

Yeah, at only 21, Martes has a very high ceiling. Would hurt to lose him more than some of the other pieces mentioned.
His ceiling is through the roof. IIRC, they are having to teach him more pitches in the minors.
Buck Compton
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Straight up, I would do it in a heartbeat. Oakland wouldn't. Throw in little Tucker and another top pitching prospect and I don't think I would.
iBrad
AG
If 2016 hadn't happened, I'd feel much better about trading for Sonny Gray. Of course, if 2016 hadn't happened, we'd all feel good about Keuchel being our ace.

I guess if you add enough bounce back candidates to the staff, some will pan out. I just don't know how much you give up for one.
shano0603
AG
I think you have to assess where Gray is physically. He had 2 DL stints last season.

If you're talking 2015 Sonny Gray, completely worth giving up Martes.
Farmer1906
AG
http://climbingtalshill.com/2017/01/16/astros-francis-martes-joins-the-untradeable-prospect-list/
shano0603
AG
I think Lunhow will make the right move. This team is very very close. If the right deal is there, he will go ahead and make it. If it's too much, he can wait until midseason and assess where we are then.

TBH, I wouldn't feel good about playing the Red Sox. Sale, Price, and oh yeah the reigning Cy Young(Porcello). Or the Indians.
shano0603
AG
I feel really good about this lineup. Reddick could have a killer season in the 9 hole with SPringer and Bregman behind him.

shano0603
AG
Mine would look the same.

astros4545
AG
Don't agree with Kirk Saarloos if you are leaving out Pete Munro
Ag_07
AG
I think the big question they will have to answer on Martes is when he will be able to make a significant contribution to the big club.

If he can get here next year and be a solid addition then label him untouchable, but if they don't see him being ready until 3+ years then by all means trade him.

We need a quality pitcher who can contribute to this team in this window.
irish pete ag06
AG
Ag_07 said:

I think the big question they will have to answer on Martes is when he will be able to make a significant contribution to the big club.

If he can get here next year and be a solid addition then label him untouchable, but if they don't see him being ready until 3+ years then by all means trade him.

We need a quality pitcher who can contribute to this team in this window.
His ETA is this year. 100% by 2018.
iBrad
AG
What I like about Martes and Paulino is that they have plus fastballs that sit in the mid-90s. We need more power in our rotation.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Buck Compton said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Straight up, I would do it in a heartbeat. Oakland wouldn't. Throw in little Tucker and another top pitching prospect and I don't think I would.

Ok - that makes way more sense.

Although I'd still do it. Getting gray would put us up there with Cleveland.
titanmaster_race
Today's the day. Does Bags get in???
iBrad
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Today's the day. Does Bags get in???

Yep
agdaddy04
AG
About time
agdaddy04
AG
Really interested in looking into a Cooperstown trip for it.
iBrad
AG
HOF
Sea Gull
. . .

Mr.Bond
AG

Don't forget our other Astro
Texaggie7nine
Mr.Bond said:

Don't forget our other Astro
Oh yeah

7nine
Beau Bevers
AG
Not gonna lie, got a little emotional watching the announcement.
iBrad
AG
I'm glad Bagwell and Biggio are both finally in the HOF. It shouldn't have taken either as long as it did, but good to see them where they belong.
Ag_07
AG
Little update from MLTR

Quote:

• The Astros haven't given up on the notion of acquiring one of Sonny Gray, Jose Quintana or Chris Archer and remain in contact with the Athletics, White Sox and Rays, USA Today's Bob Nightengale tweeted recently. The extreme asking prices on each starter makes it seem unlikely that Houston would be able to pry any of that trio loose. They've already balked at Chicago's reported asking price of Francis Martes, Kyle Tucker and Joe Musgrove for Quintana, and MLB Network's Peter Gammons tweets that he received a flat "No" when he asked one source if Gray could land in Houston. Archer, meanwhile, seems like an even longer shot to contend. The Rays have already moved one of their starters, trading Drew Smyly to the Mariners, and the remainder of their offseason dealings have been largely focused in improving the 2017 club.

Nuke LaLoosh
AG
did anyone here make Biggio HOF arrangements? Flights to Cooperstown don't exactly look cheap.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Ag_07 said:

Little update from MLTR

Quote:

• The Astros haven't given up on the notion of acquiring one of Sonny Gray, Jose Quintana or Chris Archer and remain in contact with the Athletics, White Sox and Rays, USA Today's Bob Nightengale tweeted recently. The extreme asking prices on each starter makes it seem unlikely that Houston would be able to pry any of that trio loose. They've already balked at Chicago's reported asking price of Francis Martes, Kyle Tucker and Joe Musgrove for Quintana, and MLB Network's Peter Gammons tweets that he received a flat "No" when he asked one source if Gray could land in Houston. Archer, meanwhile, seems like an even longer shot to contend. The Rays have already moved one of their starters, trading Drew Smyly to the Mariners, and the remainder of their offseason dealings have been largely focused in improving the 2017 club.

Pretty funny to see that we are trying to keep ALL of our prospects and still deal for a good starter.
Beau Bevers
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

did anyone here make Biggio HOF arrangements? Flights to Cooperstown don't exactly look cheap.

Brothers, Dad, oldest son, and I are going to load up the Suburban. 1692 miles of 'Merica.
E
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Ag_07 said:

Little update from MLTR

Quote:

Pretty funny to see that we are trying to keep ALL of our prospects and still deal for a good starter.
Good. Playing hard ball and trying to get guys for what we want not what they want.
Ag_07
AG
E said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Ag_07 said:

Little update from MLTR

Quote:

Good. Playing hard ball and trying to get guys for what we want not what they want.

That's all good and I agree we shouldn't be giving guys away, but don't complain when we have Fiers and Morton in our rotation.
Buck Compton
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Fly into Syracuse through Chicago and drive a rental. I did this for work quite a bit out of DFW through American and it wasn't that bad. You get to drive thorough what is actually a beautiful part of New York.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.