***** Official 2017 Astros Off Season Thread *****

264,705 Views | 2546 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mr.Bond
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

E said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Ag_07 said:

Little update from MLTR

Quote:

• The Astros haven't given up on the notion of acquiring one of Sonny Gray, Jose Quintana or Chris Archer and remain in contact with the Athletics, White Sox and Rays, USA Today's Bob Nightengale tweeted recently. The extreme asking prices on each starter makes it seem unlikely that Houston would be able to pry any of that trio loose. They've already balked at Chicago's reported asking price of Francis Martes, Kyle Tucker and Joe Musgrove for Quintana, and MLB Network's Peter Gammons tweets that he received a flat "No" when he asked one source if Gray could land in Houston. Archer, meanwhile, seems like an even longer shot to contend. The Rays have already moved one of their starters, trading Drew Smyly to the Mariners, and the remainder of their offseason dealings have been largely focused in improving the 2017 club.

Pretty funny to see that we are trying to keep ALL of our prospects and still deal for a good starter.
Good. Playing hard ball and trying to get guys for what we want not what they want.

That's all good and I agree we shouldn't be giving guys away, but don't complain when we have Fiers and Morton in our rotation.
Don't look for reasons to be unhappy. Someone like Martes could very well help this year by the deadline.

And I don't want to trade Martes, Tucker, and Musgrove together for Quintana. The other teams have to be willing to trade without it being trade rape and it just doesn't look like they are. The White Sox will wait until someone gets more desperate during the season.

There just wasn't a lot of SP available, but we have improved our team. Rooting for a bounce back from Keuchel and a healthy McCullers.
iBrad
AG
Two of the guys being looked at (Archer and Gray), saw their performance dip in 2016. You don't ship out the farm to get a guy that you hope returns to form in 2017...not when you have the 2015 CYA winner in your rotation that already fits that bill.

While you think you could get those guys at a discount due to their down years, that's just not the case in the current market. And after the White Sox raped Boston in the Sale deal, they don't seem willing to back down from their asking price.

It is what it is. I know a lot of people like to bag on Fiers, but I'm completely fine with him as the fifth starter. We were 18-12 in his starts last year. I'll take that from a fifth starter every year. It's at the top of the rotation where the concern lies. We have two guys that could be a solid one-two. Let's just hope they are.
E
AG
Ag_07 said:

E said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Ag_07 said:

Little update from MLTR

Quote:

• The Astros haven't given up on the notion of acquiring one of Sonny Gray, Jose Quintana or Chris Archer and remain in contact with the Athletics, White Sox and Rays, USA Today's Bob Nightengale tweeted recently. The extreme asking prices on each starter makes it seem unlikely that Houston would be able to pry any of that trio loose. They've already balked at Chicago's reported asking price of Francis Martes, Kyle Tucker and Joe Musgrove for Quintana, and MLB Network's Peter Gammons tweets that he received a flat "No" when he asked one source if Gray could land in Houston. Archer, meanwhile, seems like an even longer shot to contend. The Rays have already moved one of their starters, trading Drew Smyly to the Mariners, and the remainder of their offseason dealings have been largely focused in improving the 2017 club.

Pretty funny to see that we are trying to keep ALL of our prospects and still deal for a good starter.
Good. Playing hard ball and trying to get guys for what we want not what they want.

That's all good and I agree we shouldn't be giving guys away, but don't complain when we have Fiers and Morton in our rotation.
No complaining here. We have Musgrove and Devo competing to take their spots if they start sucking.
Ag_07
AG
I'm not. And I agree on trading them all together. I also do think the ChiSox are looking to get one over on somebody and glad it's not us.

However, I'm just saying that to improve to rotation to a top of the league rotation like we want then it's going to cost us. Otherwise we're depending on the likes of Fiers and Morton. It is what it is.

I also tend to think that we need to acquire a starter due to LMJ and his injuries. At this point I expect him to miss at least 25% of the season so I'm going into this thinking we'll fall into the category of badly needing a starter at some point during the season.

irish pete ag06
AG
I'm fine with them not trading all of that.

They want our best pitching prospect. Our best hitting prospect. And a high floor prospect in Musgrove who has shown the ability to at least be a back of the rotation starter who still has some real upside.

That is too much.
NotGibbs
I highly doubt that the astros end up getting atop pitcher before the start of the season due to the fact that these teams are in "take it or leave it" mode
mazag08
AG
Archer is the only one I'd deal for, but only one of Tucker or Martes would be going in that deal.
NotGibbs
I don't have an issue giving up Tucker and martes for a top pitcher, especially considering they'd be here for a few years, but I'd like to avoid musteove and marred both being dealt
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I have a lot of angst over going with our starters that we have now....

Am I not giving enough credence to how many runs our offense can score? Can anyone name other MLB offenses that are as good as ours right now on paper?
Farmer1906
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Am I not giving enough credence to how many runs our offense can score? Can anyone name other MLB offenses that are as good as ours right now on paper?
Sox & Cubs

And they have superior rotations.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
aggie1906 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Sox & Cubs

And they have superior rotations.

So I agree with this. As far as our staff goes, everything falling perfectly doesn't put ours even close to theirs... even if you assume a bounce back 2015 from keuchel and a studly, injury free year from Lance.

I realize that I'm beating a dead horse here, but we are at a minimum of an elite SP away from being a premiere team
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
We have so many guys on our team and in our system that can be 4/5 rotation guys... maybe even 3... but nobody that can be the stud that we need THIS YEAR
shano0603
AG
Pitchers ain't gonna matter when we are scoring 10+ runs a game
Basketball and Chain
AG
Fiers agrees to a 3.45 million deal to avoid arbitration. I guess we don't use the "file and trial" approach exclusively anymore.
Ag_07
AG
Valtron to the Halos

Quote:

The Angels have struck a deal with free-agent infielder Luis Valbuena, per Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). It's believed to be for two years with an option attached, per Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register

Hate to have to face him all year long. Hope he doesn't turn into one of those former Astros who kills us.
E
AG
Very important question: who takes over as the teams official bat flipper?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
E said:

If Beltran doesn't bat flip... he needs to get on it.
Ag_07
AG
E said:

Marisnick...Because when he finally gets a hit he better damn well celebrate it.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Anyone heading out to fanfest today? I'll be there with toddler in tow.
titanmaster_race
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Anyone heading out to fanfest today? I'll be there with toddler in tow.

Free to get in, expensive as hell to do anything.
Mr.Bond
AG

Pour one out
Sq16Aggie2006
is it still 436 to center?
Farmer1906
AG
Sq16Aggie2006 said:

Nope. Like 410ish now
DVC2010
AG
I'm heading over mostly so I can try to shake down my salesman for some tickets to the College Baseball Classic.
Mr.Ackar07
DVC2010 said:

I'm heading over mostly so I can try to shake down my salesman for some tickets to the College Baseball Classic.
Grab me two while you're at it.
Mr.Bond
AG
DVC2010 said:

Will the stadium be ready
Mr.Bond
AG
. . .

Luhnow continues to keep tabs on LH relief market but said "at this point I'm not sure that anything's going to get done there."

Tyler White lost 35lbs since start of last season. Astros asked him to add 10 since.

Luhnow during Q and A at Astros FanFest Fan Forum: "We talk trades on a daily basis. I don't know if anything is going to happen."

Luhnow doesn't expect anything dramatic to happen in terms of bringing in another pitcher via trade heading into spring training
Sq16Aggie2006
aggie1906 said:

Sq16Aggie2006 said:

Nope. Like 410ish now
titanmaster_race
white is down 35lbs? that's incredible
iBrad
AG
AJ Reed needs to join him on that diet.
Sq16Aggie2006
iBrad said:

AJ Reed needs to join him on that diet.
shano0603
AG
Yordano Ventura died in a car crash in the Dominican
agdaddy04
AG
shano0603 said:

Yordano Ventura died in a car crash in the Dominican

And Andy Marte - in a separate accident - weird.
AustinCountyAg

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.