***** Official 2017 Astros Off Season Thread *****

264,721 Views | 2546 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mr.Bond
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
. . .

iBrad
AG
Brandon Backe sighting...
Sea Gull
AG
Fat Elvis got..., well, fatter
Ag_07
AG
iBrad said:

Brandon Backe sighting...

WTF??
Mr.Bond
AG
Duck Patrol said:

Saw him last year at the SHO and he was in really good shape
Pahdz
Wait who is on the far right?
shano0603
AG
Pahdz said:

Who's right? Are you talking about Geoff Blum? Or the picture of Bags on the wall? Or Phil Garner on the left?
Ag_07
AG
Pahdz said:

Blummer

You probably don't recognize him since he's only on 75% of the Astros TV broadcasts.
Psych
AG
Pahdz said:

Geoff Blum!
Oyster DuPree
AG
Ag_07 said:

Pahdz said:

Blummer

You probably don't recognize him since he's only on 75% of the Astros TV broadcasts.

Yeah, but when 100% of those TV broadcasts are on ROOT Sports the viewership diminishes pretty quickly
astros4545
AG
BACKE!!!!

F Yah
mazag08
AG
Oyster DuPree said:

Ag_07 said:

Pahdz said:

Blummer

Yeah, but when 100% of those TV broadcasts are on ROOT Sports the viewership diminishes pretty quickly

You have to be purposely attempting to not watch to still not watch the Astros. Between Root, proxies, and streams.. it's on you, not the network.
Sea Gull
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Duck Patrol said:

Maybe it's the angle?
Pahdz
I thought it was Blum but he looked fatter for some reason.
Buck Compton
AG
Duck Patrol said:

Mr.Bond said:

Duck Patrol said:

Maybe it's the angle?
Sea Gull
AG
This is the worst time of year. Football is over and there's still 2 months until baseball. Well at least the Ags start in a few weeks.
Ag_07
AG
Duck Patrol said:

there's still 2 months until baseball.

Pitchers and catchers report Feb 15th with full squad due on the 18th. First ST game is Feb 25th
Sea Gull
AG
*unamused face*

Opening Day is April 3rd. Yes, ST is baseball, but no, it's not REAL baseball.
Ag_07
AG
True and after 2 weeks into it I'll become bored with ST baseball and it'll lose my interest.

But for now it's Astros baseball and I'll have it on the radio during the day as I work.

Always excited to hear about the going ons as ST gets kicked off.
Sea Gull
AG
For sure, I enjoy that about ST as well. I just know that I can't really watch until the regular season starts!
Mr.Ackar07
Duck Patrol said:

For sure, I enjoy that about ST as well. I just know that I can't really watch until the regular season starts!
You can start watching Aggie Baseball February 17th!
Sea Gull
AG
Amen to that! But their season might be over by the beginning of March!
Ag12thman
AG
I'm ready for some Aggie and Astros baseball -- not sure about everyone else.
3B Paul 97
AG
You will have the World Baseball Classic starting in early March. You can watch some of your 'Stros in action.
Farmer1906
AG
I just want them healthy.
aggiematt235
AG
Astros Top 50 Prospects

Love it.
Farmer1906
AG
A few thoughts.

1. Francis Martes, RHP - I want to find out if he can help us make a run this year and I'm not talking about a Sept call up. If we have injuries in the rotation or some guys just plain suck, he needs to get the call sooner rather than later.

2. Kyle Tucker, OF - I hope he picks up where he left off last year. Hopefully, he'll start in double-A and move to triple-A midseason. I'd love for him to get a shot at the show mid-2018.

3. David Paulino, RHP He's a year older than Martes and I want in the same boat as Martes. If the opportunity arises, I want him to get a shot this year (after Martes). We need to improve our pitching to have a shot in Sept - Oct and calling guys up counts as much as a trade can.

4. Forrest Whitley, RHP - Only 1 year removed from HS. Let's hope he keeps getting better, develops more pitches, and gets to high A.

5. Derek Fisher, OF - I don't have a lot of hope. Time to **** or get off the pot, but we don't exactly have a lot of room on the big league club for OFers. I think I'd rather have Kemp or Teoscar. At worst a Sept call up. Maybe he'll surprise and be the last OFer on the team.

6. Franklin Perez, RHP - Haven't followed him much. Glad we have another high-end young arm.

7. Daz Cameron, OF - Not looking all that hot thus far. Hopefully, he rebounds and at a minimum improves his trade value.

8. James Hoyt, RHP - Worked 22 innings last year in the bigs. I don't know if he makes the big league club, but I think he can be a nice bullpen arm.

9. Teoscar Hernandez, OF - Like his upside more than Fisher. I think he could fight for the 5th OF position.

Also

I like having a lot of young SS with some potential. I know we have Correa and Bregman at the big league level, but these guys could end up being nice trade pieces and soften the blow if Correa ever leaves.
Quote:

12. Miguelangel Sierra, SS

13. Jonathan Arauz, SS

14. Anibal Sierra, 2B/SS
Ag_07
AG
aggie1906 said:

1. Francis Martes, RHP - I want to find out if he can help us make a run this year and I'm not talking about a Sept call up. If we have injuries in the rotation When LMJ goes down with an injury or some guys and when Fiers just plain suck, he needs to get the call sooner rather than later.

FIFY
aggiematt235
AG
Ag_07 said:

aggie1906 said:

1. Francis Martes, RHP - I want to find out if he can help us make a run this year and I'm not talking about a Sept call up. If we have injuries in the rotation When LMJ goes down with an injury or some guys and when Fiers just plain suck, he needs to get the call sooner rather than later.

FIFY
irish pete ag06
AG
Most intriguing prospect to me right now is Ramon Laureano. Kid came out of nowhere and does nothing but continue to impress. He's likely a 4th OFer... maybe a fringey starter, but he's fun to follow. From all accounts I've read he plays the game the right way with extreme effort.
Sea Gull
AG
Haven't heard of him until now. Altuve was kind of the same way. Surprised the hell out of everyone, if I remember correctly.
irish pete ag06
AG
Here's the blurb on him from the link.

Quote:

17. Ramon Laureano, OF

Made a grand entrance to most prospect lists in 2016. Combined to hit .319 with 15 HR and 73 RBI in 417 AB between AA and AAA. Also stole 43 bases. Has the potential to be an outstanding fantasy baseball prospect.
Farmer1906
AG

Quote:

We must be very confident we can move Gattis if we're still kicking the tires on Wieters.
Sea Gull
AG
Very interesting. I would've rather had Wieters than McCann...wonder what Luhnows angle is.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.