***** Official 2017 Astros Off Season Thread *****

264,707 Views | 2546 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mr.Bond
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maybe I've followed professional sports for too long, but it seems at some point Altuve's contract is going to become an issue for him or his agent. Scheduled to make $4.5 MM this year at the start of his 7th year in the bigs and as the consensus best player on the team. And three other hitters on the team will make double or triple his salary
agdaddy04
AG
That's my point too, well said. I think it's worth ponying up now. Fans are going to get too attached to him and then it either costs more to sign him or he's gone when he can.
iBrad
AG
When players and agents start giving money back for under performing their contracts, then I could get on board with compensating a guy that's over performing his.

What those two option years give the Astros is negotiationg power. You wipe those years out if Altuve is willing to sign a long-term deal that's likely a little more club-friendly. In that scenario, the Astros lock him up long-term and Altuve cashes in earlier. If he and his agent aren't willing to do so and want to test the open market, then you pick up the two options and pay out the contract as is. Why would you pay a guy more that isn't willing to commit to you long term?

We'll see how it plays out.
iBrad
AG
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
iBrad said:

When players and agents start giving money back for under performing their contracts, then I could get on board with compensating a guy that's over performing his.

What those two option years give the Astros is negotiationg power. You wipe those years out if Altuve is willing to sign a long-term deal that's likely a little more club-friendly. In that scenario, the Astros lock him up long-term and Altuve cashes in earlier. If he and his agent aren't willing to do so and want to test the open market, then you pick up the two options and pay out the contract as is. Why would you pay a guy more that isn't willing to commit to you long term?

We'll see how it plays out.

Completely agree with this
shano0603
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

The Best Trades For All 30 Teams

[url=http://www.espn.com/mlb/team/_/name/tb/tampa-bay-rays][/url]
Quote:

Tampa Bay Rays trade RHP Chris Archer to the Houston Astros for RHP Frances Martes, OF Kyle Tucker, RHP David Paulino, 3B Colin Moran and OF Tony Kemp.

Sticking with the AL West, the Astros have made it clear they're going all-in after missing the playoffs in 2016. On Thursday, they acquired Brian McCannand signed Josh Reddick after already claiming Norichika Aoki on waivers. They need to make one more big splash. How does this look?

RF George Springer
3B Alex Bregman
2B Jose Altuve
SS Carlos Correa
C Brian McCann
DH Evan Gattis
1B Yulieski Gurriel / A.J. Reed
LF Josh Reddick
CF Jake Marisnick / Teoscar Hernandez

SP Dallas Keuchel
SP Chris Archer
SP Collin McHugh
SP Lance McCullers
SP Mike Fiers

Archer will cost a ton in prospects, even coming off a mediocre season, as he's signed for five more season at an incredible discount. The Astros are giving up three of their prospects in Martes, Tucker and Paulino, plus two useful role players in Moran and Kemp. The Rays need depth, but this package may still not be enough.

I'd do this trade.... but I'm not sure the Rays would.
Ag_07
AG
I'm reading the Pirates are pretty inclined to deal McCutchen.

He's got one more year (14M) with an affordable team option (14.75M) for one more year.

An OF of Reddick, McCutchen, Springer would be sick.

Should we be interested?
Buck Compton
AG
Ag_07 said:

He's got one more year (14M) with an affordable team option (14.75M) for one more year.

Should we be interested?
They're going to want a king's ransom for him and he had a pretty rough year last year.

If you think he returns to his pre-2016 numbers it's a no brainer (but don't sell the farm) and would give us probably the most potent lineup in the big leagues. You only do something like that if you aren't going to trade for a number one or two SP.
. . .
Ag_07
AG
Buck Compton said:

Ag_07 said:

Should we be interested?
They're going to want a king's ransom for him and he had a pretty rough year last year.

If you think he returns to his pre-2016 numbers it's a no brainer (but don't sell the farm) and would give us probably the most potent lineup in the big leagues. You only do something like that if you aren't going to trade for a number one or two SP.

That's the only reason I ask. I have a feeling we won't be able to pull off a trade for a top end pitcher.
shano0603
AG
Teams don't trade Aces very often. And when they do, they want a boatload.

We either need to be happy with our young guys and maybe having a Foster type guy... or you've gotta be happy giving up 4-5 top prosects
iBrad
AG
The other possibility with the rotation is to start the season with what we have and see how it pans out. You can always deal for a starter near the deadline. I doubt the asking price will be much different than it is now and I doubt all the ones on the trading block get dealt this offseason.

That would also give you more opportunity to evaluate Martes and Paulino in AAA, as well as other arms in the system. I think a trade likely depends on how our front office feels about Martes and Paulino, as they're likely to be targeted in any deal.
mazag08
AG
Honestly.. if Keuchel has a bounce back year.. we are not in bad shape. McCullers health would be key. If hes healthy, he's better than most #2 pitchers in the league.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
mazag08 said:

Honestly.. if Keuchel has a bounce back year.. we are not in bad shape. McCullers health would be key. If hes healthy, he's better than most #2 pitchers in the league.

That's a huge "if"

Even if he has a fairly significant bounce back he's far from an ace. That's how bad he was last year.
. . .
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/new-york-yankees-chapman-beltran-free-agency-trade-rumors-hot-stove-houston-astros-ken-rosenthal-111916

Quote:

The Astros' trade for McCann and agreement with free-agent outfielder Josh Reddick has not precluded them from continuing their pursuit of Beltran, according to major-league sources.

The most likely current scenario is that Reddick will play right field, with George Springer moving to center and Nori Aoki and Jake Marisnick platooning in left.
Quote:

The Astros still believe they have enough of a prospect inventory to include pitching in a deal for a Sale or an Archer. If they're not comfortable with the asking prices, they can always start the season with Dallas Keuchel and Lance McCullers at the top of their rotation, and hope that oft-injured free-agent acquisition Charlie Morton gives them 30 starts instead of 10.
shano0603
AG
I'll go along with waiting until the season. Unless we get a deal we can't pass up.
AustinCountyAg
I'm in the wait it out boat.... our rotation was good enough two years ago. No need to sale the farm for Archer who IMO isn't worth selling the farm for.
Buck Compton
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I'm in the wait it out boat.... our rotation was good enough two years ago. No need to sale the farm for Archer who IMO isn't worth selling the farm for.
Agreed, unless it's Sale, you don't give up a ton. And I don't think Sale gets dealt.
Farmer1906
AG
I think it is worth taking a risk. We have a young team. We don't need a lot of farm help over the next few years if we keep making decent signings like we have this year and last.
Basketball and Chain
AG
Per mlbtraderumors, were showing interest in Napoli as 1b/dh with veteran leadership
E
AG
No thanks
Buck Compton
AG
Basketball and Chain said:

Per mlbtraderumors, were showing interest in Napoli as 1b/dh with veteran leadership
No thank you. Any time at DH takes away from Gattis... Any time at first would mean one of our young stars (Gurriel, etc.) is sitting down. I just don't see the AB for him - he would truly just be a role player/clubhouse guy and he'll sign for more than that.

And I know Gurriel isn't exactly young, but still new to the US at least.
Farmer1906
AG
I don't see gurriel ever being a star. I just hope he's an everyday big leaguer. He sure wasn't last year, but that was a small sample size in a strange situation.
astros4545
AG
Gurriel can never be considered young, he will be 33 during next season

Also, he has never played more than 90 games in a season of foreign ball, 162 is a drastic increase and grind

I would like to see 20 HR 70 RBI next year, would be very happy
Ag_07
AG
I thought Gurriel showed quite a bit last year. He performed way better than I thought he would coming non late and all.

He showed he's got a great approach, takes quality hacks, and could hit to all fields. The power wasn't there but he came across as very disciplined hitter with a nice swing and sound approach. Nothing flashy but got the job done.

I think if he can adjust to the schedule and avoid injury he can be a solid MLer.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I thought Gurriel did about as good as could be expected. I hated how much we made him sit, but that's on dumbass hinch, not him.

Speaking of hinch, is anyone else worried about the plethora of options that we are gonna be able to platoon at multiple positions next year? I'm already gnashing my teeth about how many wrong choices he's gonna make.
Buck Compton
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

I thought Gurriel did about as good as could be expected. I hated how much we made him sit, but that's on dumbass hinch, not him.

Speaking of hinch, is anyone else worried about the plethora of options that we are gonna be able to platoon at multiple positions next year? I'm already gnashing my teeth about how many wrong choices he's gonna make.
I already hate the idea of all the platoons. I'm a big "set it and forget it" kind of guy, especially with your stars - the only exception is if someone needs a day off or is in a slump. I have a feeling that is not at all what we are going to see.
Ag_07
AG
The overall talent has increased so much there's not a big drop in whoever plays.

He's not sitting Gattis to play Castro. He's sitting Gattis to play McCann. Or he's not sitting Gurriel to play Rasmus. He's sitting Gurriel to play Aoki.

The dropoffs aren't near as bad.
Sea Gull
AG
Basketball and Chain said:

I would take Napoli in a heartbeat
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
We think we are so good with our analytics that we can hire a bunch of platoon players and make it work.

Newsflash: we can't.
irish pete ag06
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

We think we are so good with our analytics that we can hire a bunch of platoon players and make it work.

Newsflash: we can't.

Newsflash: you don't know that.
Ag_07
AG
So let's step back and take a look at this.

Lunhow is having one of the better offseasons in the league and has addressed key needs with quality players and Nuke is pissed?

Sounds about right...
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I've seen it work pretty unsuccessfully for a couple years. Also, Hinch
Farmer1906
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

I've seen it work pretty unsuccessfully for a couple years. Also, Hinch

What platoon players have we signed the last 2 years?
Sea Gull
AG
Not that I completely agree with Nuke, but Valbuena, Tyler White/AJ Reed, and Rasmus come to mind, immediately.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.