***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

137,089 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by M.C. Swag
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Utah or Houston?
zgolfz85
AG
Welp vucevic now off the board. Saw him rumored too
zgolfz85
AG
Also, not knowing on kyrie really sucks. That hamstrings us so much in not having an indication of where that'll land. I don't think he'll get much love outside of Dallas on the FA market, but who knows. I could also see a lot of teams being interested and playing it close to the vest
Guitarsoup
AG
zgolfz85 said:

Also, not knowing on kyrie really sucks. That hamstrings us so much in not having an indication of where that'll land. I don't think he'll get much love outside of Dallas on the FA market, but who knows. I could also see a lot of teams being interested and playing it close to the vest
Just no one has cap space.

Spurs need a PG, but Kyrie isn't really a Pop kinda guy
Rockets could use him.
Utah needs a real PG, not just short scorers.
Oklahoma City has SGA+Giddy.
Indiana has Halliburton
Orlando just drafted Black
Sacramento has Fox.

No one with cap space except Utah and Houston make any sense. But Utah GM Danny Ainge was the Celtics GM that traded for Kyrie. Not sure he wants Kyrie back after that experience.

I don't think Kyrie is going to get a ton of interest around the league.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's a ploy to milk as much of the max as possible.
zgolfz85
AG
Agreed on all of that, just feels like this is inevitably going to screw us over as we have to wait on an answer
DannyDuberstein
AG
Which Bob Sturm raised a decent point today: if you end up trying to save a few bucks by offering a measly $200 mill vs closer to the actual max, do you end up getting pissed off Kyrie?
HawthornAggie
AG
I think the Mavs give Kyrie the max.
Guitarsoup
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Which Bob Sturm raised a decent point today: if you end up trying to save a few bucks by offering a measly $200 mill vs closer to the actual max, do you end up getting pissed off Kyrie?
Is he gonna be so pissed off he takes a $12mm MLE from the Lakers? Probably not.
M.C. Swag
AG
Kyrie is re-signing with the Mavs. Per Mark Stein, the money part is agreed, it's just the # of years/structure of the deal that's still getting ironed out.

Nico didn't spin **** into gold on draft night to open up the MLE just to have it get lost on the easiest part of the decision tree (extending Kyrie).

Also, Skin dropped a tweet yesterday that he thinks the number is 4yrs/160m. If that's true, the Mavs will have full access to the MLE and BAE including a 15 man roster.

Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Kyrie is re-signing with the Mavs. Per Mark Stein, the money part is agreed, it's just the # of years/structure of the deal that's still getting ironed out.

Nico didn't spin **** into gold on draft night to open up the MLE just to have it get lost on the easiest part of the decision tree (extending Kyrie).

Also, Skin dropped a tweet yesterday that he thinks the number is 4yrs/160m. If that's true, the Mavs will have full access to the MLE and BAE including a 15 man roster.

4y/160 would be a good deal for the Mavs.

shack009
AG
I'm sure it's been explained to him that 4/160 would allow the mavs to use the full MLE to make the team a contender. I'm just not sure if he cares whether the mavs can use it or not. 4/160 just sounds too good to be true.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Guitarsoup said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Is he gonna be so pissed off he takes a $12mm MLE from the Lakers? Probably not.

Not the point. Point is do you get a pouty Kyrie in 23-24 if you try to leverage the negotiating position they have. Clearly he'll get signed by Dallas. But do you get a guy ready to ball out and make this work, or do you get the version ready to start working toward the next stop before the ink is dry. All a matter of how far his self-perceived value is different than what works for Dallas. Hopefully they are on the same page at the lower number, but taking visits at least raises quesrions
Guitarsoup
AG
Who do the Mavs use the full MLE on? Brooks?

Grant Williams would be more of a 4, which the Mavs need more than a wing like Brooks, but Brooks is a better player, though Williams has much better shooting.

Lively/Holmes/JaVale
Brooks or Williams/Maxi
Green/THJ/Bullock
Kyrie/Hardy
Luka

The only other PFs are Kuz (more than MLE to Sacramento), return of Harrison Barnes, Jeremi Grant (too expensive), PJ Washington (probably more than MLE, because Charlotte is dumb) and Draymond (going back to GSW.)

For wing, Thybulle can't play offense, Oubre can't play defense, Jalen McDaniels isn't good at anything and isn't awful at anything, Bruce Brown is a great glue guy or maybe you split it with a couple of lower level guys?
Guitarsoup
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Guitarsoup said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Not the point. Point is do you get a pouty Kyrie in 23-24
He'll find something to pout about. He always does.
M.C. Swag
AG
Just telling ya what insiders are reporting
shack009
AG
I hear ya. I certainly appreciate the confidence that a lot of people have, particularly Cato and Skin, that believe 4/160 is a very likely scenario. If Nico pulls that off, and Kyrie is happy about it, we can start to speculate if Nico is a wizard.

I would then fully expect him to force PHX to take McGee in the Ayton trade and enjoy it.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Kyrie should be happy about it (and I think Nico will sign him to it). But it's Kyrie so he won't be happy for long.
Grapesoda2525
M.C. Swag said:

Will it include player opt outs? Stars like Lebron or Durant seem to enjoy putting in those weird opt outs after every year so even tho it says it's a 3 year deal, you have to worry about the player in free agency literally every year.
Guitarsoup
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

M.C. Swag said:

Will it include player opt outs? Stars like Lebron or Durant seem to enjoy putting in those weird opt outs after every year so even tho it says it's a 3 year deal, you have to worry about the player in free agency literally every year.
Player can only have an opt out 1 yr before the contract is over
M.C. Swag
AG
Tomorrow may not have as much fireworks as FA start periods in the past:

Curious to see if Woj/Shams are able to alter their language to still report agreed upon deals? or if teams will literally keep everything under lock & key.
shack009
AG
When does the moratorium period end? July 6?
M.C. Swag
AG
Ya
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Curious to see if Woj/Shams are able to alter their language to still report agreed upon deals? or if teams will literally keep everything under lock & key.
Meanwhile...

M.C. Swag
zgolfz85
AG
max for fred....gross
Guitarsoup
AG
zgolfz85 said:

max for fred....gross
Houston in 2023:

28th in FG%
30th in 3FG%

Spends $60mm in cap space on:
PG that shot .393/.342 last year
SF that shot .396/.326 last year

Uses 4th pick on 20yo guy that can't shoot
Uses 20th pick on 19yo guy with major injury problems that can't pass

M.C. Swag
AG
Meh only 2 years and he's an adult. Think it's a fine signing that will allow Amen some room to develop at a comfortable pace.
zgolfz85
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Meh only 2 years and he's an adult. Think it's a fine signing that will allow Amen some room to develop at a comfortable pace.
yeah not the worst deal ever and they have to do something....we just all know he's not a max guy
M.C. Swag
AG
zgolfz85 said:

M.C. Swag said:

yeah not the worst deal ever and they have to do something....we just all know he's not a max guy

Haha ya def rich for my blood but they got money to burn. Plus, for a team of mostly young lotto talent and guys who were "McDonalds All American" high school players, I think it's good to get someone who had to grind for everything they got. FVV is a dog and a great culture setter.
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

zgolfz85 said:

M.C. Swag said:

Haha ya def rich for my blood but they got money to burn. Plus, for a team of mostly young lotto talent and guys who were "McDonalds All American" high school players, I think it's good to get someone who had to grind for everything they got. FVV is a dog and a great culture setter.
He and Udoka as well. I hear from Celtics employees he is always grinding.
Zachary Klement
AG
MW03 said:

This just isn't consistent with what everyone else is reporting.

Woj and most of the other reputable guys said there is not much of a market for Kyrie and that he plans to resign.
Legal Custodian
AG
M.C. Swag said:

That's interesting, didn't the NBA already violate this rule by announcing the "agreed upon" trades on draft night even though they can't be finalized until a later date?
Guitarsoup
AG
Legal Custodian said:

M.C. Swag said:

That's interesting, didn't the NBA already violate this rule by announcing the "agreed upon" trades on draft night even though they can't be finalized until a later date?
It doesn't go into effect until July 1st.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.