***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

163,029 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by M.C. Swag
TheMasterplan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nice wins against the Rockets and the Spurs.

You can tell they both really suck this year based on the # of posts for team threads. Dallas used to have terrible post counts in the Barnes/Collison days. Yeesh.
gigem1223
Down 18? No problem!

7 in a row!
zgolfz85
AG
A full game ahead in 4th now, wild
NoahAg
I've been to the last two Mavs @ Rockets games. Luka signed more autographs at both than any other player.
Boban signed a bunch too and is a joy to watch.
Let's go, Brandon!
Carlo4
AG
MW03 said:

Carlo4 said:

On a more serious note, my mother-in-law passed away on 12/21 due to stroke complications. She was the biggest mavericks fan. I feel like this one was for her tonight. What a game.
Sorry for your loss. Especially tough this time of year. I hope seeing Luka play like that brought your family a much needed smile thinking about how much she loved the team.
Appreciate the kind words. We've won 7 in a row since her passing. They are playing for her! Been great to watch and appreciate it all. I miss her yelling (like, really yelling) at the TV every 5 seconds, though.
MW03
AG
Does Zach LaVine fit on the Mavs?

M.C. Swag
AG
I think he does. The only problem is i do not want to tango with another max player w/ knee problems.
Zachary Klement
AG
Kemba cut.
DANManman
AG
Zion, Ingram, AND CJ are out?

Don't make Luka play this game, lol.
Jesus saves
Zachary Klement
AG
DANManman said:

Zion, Ingram, AND CJ are out?

Don't make Luka play this game, lol.
That way we can guarantee we lose!
JW
Zachary Klement
AG
Will never understand why we punt winnable games against bad teams…how many wins would this roster have if Luka wasn't on it? It would be a lotto team no doubt.
jeffdjohnson
Zachary Klement said:

Will never understand why we punt winnable games against bad teams…how many wins would this roster have if Luka wasn't on it? It would be a lotto team no doubt.

If they think periodic rest will keep Luka from breaking down then they don't have a lot of options considering his workload. Luka missing 8 designated rest games is better than 20 because of injury.

This is a weird year because the West appears to be open and the Mavs might have the best player. Usually, you might want to go "all in" and see what happens, but that would be a bad move. You can't tie yourself to these non-Luka Mavericks. There are some rumors about swapping THJ for expiring LeVert which would be interesting. After the draft in June they would be able to offer 4 FRP plus swaps with Bullock and Dinwiddie on partially guaranteed contracts for an "all in" move. Bertans would have only one more year before he is also only partially guaranteed so he could get thrown in as a salary filler without being too negative of an asset. Depending on who they target and how things shake out with Wood, they could even free up cap space again for someone like Myles Turner. So as much as it sucks, I think the Mavs just have to play it out this year for better or worse.
Zachary Klement
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

Zachary Klement said:

If they think periodic rest will keep Luka from breaking down then they don't have a lot of options considering his workload. Luka missing 8 designated rest games is better than 20 because of injury.

This is a weird year because the West appears to be open and the Mavs might have the best player. Usually, you might want to go "all in" and see what happens, but that would be a bad move. You can't tie yourself to these non-Luka Mavericks. There are some rumors about swapping THJ for expiring LeVert which would be interesting. After the draft in June they would be able to offer 4 FRP plus swaps with Bullock and Dinwiddie on partially guaranteed contracts for an "all in" move. Bertans would have only one more year before he is also only partially guaranteed so he could get thrown in as a salary filler without being too negative of an asset. Depending on who they target and how things shake out with Wood, they could even free up cap space again for someone like Myles Turner. So as much as it sucks, I think the Mavs just have to play it out this year for better or worse.
I agree 100% on load managing Luka. I think it's smart and the right thing to do when he has to do so much for this team to succeed…what I don't understand is why we punt games against teams like OKC…earlier this week we played the Celtics which is basically a guaranteed loss unless Luka has a Herculean performance and puts the team on his back. Why not rest him that day and have him play today? It just doesn't make sense to me logically, but I guess there's a reason I'm not paid to coach these guys.

I also saw something about trading Davis and a first for Bojan…which I don't really get. I am not as knowledgeable about pick trading, cap, etc. in the NBA, but from everything I've had explained to me, it sounds like waiting is the best play.
The Shank Ag
I would 100% agree on resting Luka against the Celtics over OKC, but he did have a noticeable limp/ankle after the celtics. Not sure this one was 100% a rest hold-out as much as it was give him another couple days to heal the ankle.

Once those tendons stretch once, the ankle becomes more loose and you can certainly make it worse if you push it too quick.
zgolfz85
AG
Zachary Klement said:

jeffdjohnson said:

Zachary Klement said:

I agree 100% on load managing Luka. I think it's smart and the right thing to do when he has to do so much for this team to succeed…what I don't understand is why we punt games against teams like OKC…earlier this week we played the Celtics which is basically a guaranteed loss unless Luka has a Herculean performance and puts the team on his back. Why not rest him that day and have him play today? It just doesn't make sense to me logically, but I guess there's a reason I'm not paid to coach these guys.

I also saw something about trading Davis and a first for Bojan…which I don't really get. I am not as knowledgeable about pick trading, cap, etc. in the NBA, but from everything I've had explained to me, it sounds like waiting is the best play.

Totally agree. Nothing else matters except for getting in the post season and getting as high a seed as you can, especially if you can avoid a play-in. Win the easy games and rest Luka during the ones that aren't gimmes. No one is going to evaluate the quality wins at season's end. Just get in and hope for the best.
DANManman
AG
Of course it would be the Heat setting a free throw record, smh…
Jesus saves
CoppellAg93
AG
DANManman said:

Of course it would be the Heat setting a free throw record, smh…
Ha ha !

Reminds me of my all time favorite quote from Bill Simmons from his 2006 draft log ....

Quote:

10:20 The Mavs take Maurice Ager at No. 28. He puts his head in his hands and starts sobbing hysterically as his entourage congratulates him. It's about time we had some emotion tonight, dammit. Ager walks up to the stage in a triple-breasted, oversized beige suit, goes to shake hands with Stern and immediately gets whistled for a foul on Dwyane Wade.
MW03
AG
This game is going to kill me
zgolfz85
AG
Wild one, awful officiating throughout
South Platte
I wish McGee would have put Westbrook in the hospital. Bullock and THJ just stand there after Luka gets tackled.

People said Wood gave you empty minutes. +19 for our man with some huge blocks.
dave94
AG
South Platte said:

I wish McGee would have put Westbrook in the hospital. Bullock and THJ just stand there after Luka gets tackled.

People said Wood gave you empty minutes. +19 for our man with some huge blocks.
How did Westbrick not get a second technical? He's such a little b.
zgolfz85
AG
westbrook had like 4 flagrants last night.....but the refs called only 1
MW03
AG
Dude literally shoved Luka down with an elbow in the back right in front of the ref.
zgolfz85
AG
MW03 said:

Dude literally shoved Luka down with an elbow in the back right in front of the ref.
yep...and then in true d bag westbrook form....pretended to be best friends with luka after the game. sorry, but just having a few all star weekends together doesn't give you an invite to try and injure a generational player....and one that has better numbers this far into his career vs russ's bestie lebron
South Platte
Tell me I'm overreacting, but not seeing our team stand up for Luka bothers me. It's either our team is sick of watching Luka play Luka ball, or we have some schmucks on this team. Bullock literally just stood there. At least THJ motioned to the ref for a flagrant. Cuban could perform a public execution and trade Bullock today to send a message.
Zachary Klement
AG
South Platte said:

Tell me I'm overreacting, but not seeing our team stand up for Luka bothers me. It's either our team is sick of watching Luka play Luka ball, or we have some schmucks on this team. Bullock literally just stood there. At least THJ motioned to the ref for a flagrant. Cuban could perform a public execution and trade Bullock today to send a message.
They are morons if they are sick of Luka.
zgolfz85
AG
Zachary Klement said:

South Platte said:

They are morons if they are sick of Luka.
yep, half these bums would be riding benches or relegated to G League w/o Luka
Ol Jock 99
AG

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/luka-doncic-mural-please-send-help-deep-ellum/287-2efdd67d-c425-48bd-b509-45352f94d560?fbclid=IwAR31agHUHYHiS6JIw7iaO63frdd20nU1qiI1G_UaSqqFd7hawhCcxdKUtb0
M.C. Swag
AG
I am not having fun watching this team
Zachary Klement
AG
Outside of Luka, not really a fun team to watch, unfortunately.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Wood is emerging as help. Need Dinwiddie to be more consistent as a 2nd creator.
zgolfz85
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Wood is emerging as help. Need Dinwiddie to be more consistent as a 2nd creator.

Yep, if wood and Spencer can consistently be Luka's 2 and 3 guys, different ballgame.
Unfortunately it seems to be either or that's hot game to game
South Platte
I'd love to see Denver win the whole thing. I'm not sure they'll ever see a softer West.

Denver
Memphis
New Orleans
Sac Town

There are your teams with home court in the playoffs.
Carlo4
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Broken thumb for wood. Out a few weeks

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.